TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #2041
LynnL999

Quote:
Originally Posted by catatafish View Post
We are in the panhandle of Florida and had Scientific Atlanta Cable Cards (PKM800) and the Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter. Is this a common problem or were we just unlucky?
Not an issue here in Orange County either, but I suspect our equipment is totally different.

Sometimes, if you are tuned to an SDV channel and leave it there for a long time (like hours), the channel will time out, and then you need to retune it. I think that's actually how SDV is supposed to work to free up the bandwidth, although it's a bit clunky. But I've never had to reboot for it to work again.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #2042
catatafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnL999 View Post
Not an issue here in Orange County either, but I suspect our equipment is totally different.

Sometimes, if you are tuned to an SDV channel and leave it there for a long time (like hours), the channel will time out, and then you need to retune it. I think that's actually how SDV is supposed to work to free up the bandwidth, although it's a bit clunky. But I've never had to reboot for it to work again.
Yeah. It would be nothing but a blank screen all of the channels were blank, even some of the lower analogue. After a restart it would be fine again. Although some time it would be only one channel were couldn't get in and after restart that channel would come in. Of course as I had mentioned the Sereis 3 had a few digital channels it could never get in no matter what.

I had 4 visits in the last 8 month. I just gave up it wasn't worth the hassle. We had been Cox customers for over 10 years.

To be fair some very good and very polite people came in and tried to help, but most are not familiar with Tivo setups. One tech said that this year (last year 2011) they sated to implement a lot of changes in our area and it was giving a lot of people a hard time. He thought from when our problems started it was some of these changes behind it.

Don't hate Cox, just got fed up. Perfecting will to ditch U-verse when our contract is up, although it has a lot more channels than were were getting for the same price.
catatafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #2043
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
First tune to a Plus Package Channel (1101 HUBHD will do), It does not matter whether you subscribe to the channels or not, it will still show in the Diagnostics

TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Account & System Info > DVR Diagnostics

Tuner: 0 is first and will list the channel number, page down to see all the diagnostic info.

Tuner: 1 is next and will list the channel number, page down to see all the diagnostic info.

One of these should be channel 1101 if that is what you tuned to, page down and look for Video PID: it should either list (MPEG2) or (H.264)
Wait, I didn't know that cox or any cable companies were using H.264 for regular cable channels?

If they are what channels are H.264?
LoREvanescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #2044
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoREvanescence View Post
Wait, I didn't know that cox or any cable companies were using H.264 for regular cable channels?

If they are what channels are H.264?
I believe Phoenix is going to be the first test market for use of H.264
http://www.multichannel.com/article/..._Plus_Tier.php

All of the "Plus Package" channels in Phoenix are currently in testing using H.264. They have not Officially Launched, but should in the next few months.

1101 - Hub HD (Bonus Pak also required)
1133 - DIY HD (Variety Pak also required)
1134 - Cooking Channel HD (Variety Pak also required)
1161 - Outdoor Channel HD (Sports and Info Pak also required)
1900 - SWRV HD (Variety Pak also required)

1202 - HBO Signature HD
1203 - HBO Family HD
1204 - HBO Comedy HD
1205 - HBO Zone HD
1210 - HBO East HD
1211 - HBO2 East HD
1212 - HBO Latino HD

1222 - Action MAX HD
1223 - Thriller MAX HD
1225 - Cinamax East HD
1226 - More Max East HD
1230 - 5StarMAX HD

1242 - Showtime Showcase HD
1243 - Showtime Extreme HD
1251 - TMC Xtra HD

1263 - Starz East HD
1264 - Starz Kids & Family HD
1265 - Starz Cinema HD
1266 - Starz Comedy HD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #2045
LoREvanescence

I checked the plus package channels, which I have been getting here for about a month now on my tivo.

They are all still MPEG-2

would love to see MPEG-4 / H.264
Old 01-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #2046
Johncv

Quote:
First tune to a Plus Package Channel (1101 HUBHD will do), It does not matter whether you subscribe to the channels or not, it will still show in the Diagnostics

TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Account & System Info > DVR Diagnostics

Tuner: 0 is first and will list the channel number, page down to see all the diagnostic info.

Tuner: 1 is next and will list the channel number, page down to see all the diagnostic info.

One of these should be channel 1101 if that is what you tuned to, page down and look for Video PID: it should either list (MPEG2) or (H.264)
I try this, but Video PID display what look like a Hex number not related to MPEG2 or H.264.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #2047
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
I try this, but Video PID display what look like a Hex number not related to MPEG2 or H.264.
can you take a picture or post here what it says?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #2048
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

CNNHD is MPEG2 while HBOEHD is H.264

1036 - CNNHD (MPEG2)

1210 - HBOEHD (H.264)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CNNHD-(MPEG2).jpg (62.8 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg HBOEHD-(H.264).jpg (62.4 KB, 171 views)

Old 01-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #2049
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
You are using a TiVoHD, correct? not a Premiere.

Perhaps the TiVoHD does not list MPEG2 and/or H.264, also perhaps it is not capable of tuning H.264 format.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #2050
aztivo

Quote:
CNNHD is MPEG2 while HBOEHD is H.264

1036 - CNNHD (MPEG2)

1210 - HBOEHD (H.264)
Are you actually getting these channels? I shoe them in the TiVo but nothing shows up when I tune them
aztivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #2051
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztivo View Post
Are you actually getting these channels? I shoe them in the TiVo but nothing shows up when I tune them
No they are displaying "Channel Unauthorized" , They are still only in testing, probably for employees testing only on the Cisco WHDVR at the moment.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #2052
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

I got a lineup change message yesterday listing these channels, although they were already showing up in the guide for me before the message. Only difference is there seems to be guide data for them now whereas before all was listed as "To Be Announced". The channels also show unauthorized for me, at the moment.
rcobourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #2053
aztivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcobourn View Post
I got a lineup change message yesterday listing these channels, although they were already showing up in the guide for me before the message. Only difference is there seems to be guide data for them now whereas before all was listed as "To Be Announced". The channels also show unauthorized for me, at the moment.
Same here. Maybe cox will have them live in a few days
Old 01-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #2054
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcobourn View Post
I noticed the same thing, 1045-TruTVHD and 1071-TCMHD did go live last night also.

I am not expecting to get the others, (Plus Package), without a fight, but perhaps I'll be surprised.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #2055
LoREvanescence

So it seems COX NH just flipped the SDV switch.

Back in October I got a letter stating on November 7th, all channels listed will be converted to SDV and I would need to get a Tuning Adapter.

I did, but I was unsure if the tuning adapter was working properly, I was under the impression from reading posts on AVSForums it was not as the yellow light was blinking. But I still was receiving all my channels so I thought it must be working fine and I don't know why that light is blinking.

Well, as of this morning, none of the channels listed on the SDV sheet come in. They just give a message about there is a problem with the signal on this channel.

I have tried to power cycle the tuning adapter, the tivo but nothing seems to be working by doing just that.

in the menu's it shows a turning adapter is attached.

Anyone know what I should try to get these channels working?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #2056
LynnL999

Quote:
Anyone know what I should try to get these channels working?
Call tech support, make sure the tuning adapter is authorized properly. If it is, ask them to send a "hit" to it.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #2057
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnL999 View Post
Call tech support, make sure the tuning adapter is authorized properly. If it is, ask them to send a "hit" to it.
Just contacted tech support through live chat.

They sent a hit and it seems to be working now

thanks
Old 01-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #2058
LynnL999

Yay! Glad it's working for you!
Old 01-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #2059
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Anyone here in RI? Whats the situation?

I got a letter a while back saying I needed to get a TA for SDV. I never did anything, and now can't find the letter. So far it appears that I am not missing anything.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #2060
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
I noticed the same thing, 1045-TruTVHD and 1071-TCMHD did go live last night also.

I am not expecting to get the others, (Plus Package), without a fight, but perhaps I'll be surprised.
I inquired today with Cox AZ, regarding the Plus Package channels and was told it would cost me $10/mo for these channels to be authorized with a CableCARD. Ouch. Every other market I know only charges $5/mo and that is for the equipment charges for the Whole Home DVR package.

Is any Cox Customer receiving the Plus Package channels paying an additional fee?
============================================================ =========
EDIT:

I emailed back and questioned the initial quote of $10/mo just for the channels, and was told he made a mistake and the channels are Free with a CableCARD as long as you subscribe to the corresponding SD Tier. I should have them shortly, fingers crossed.

First attempt did not get the channels working, although they do show as having been added to my account online. Issue has been escalated.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 01-20-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #2061
aztivo

Quote:
I inquired today with Cox AZ, regarding the Plus Package channels and was told it would cost me $10/mo for these channels to be authorized with a CableCARD. Ouch. Every other market I know only charges $5/mo and that is for the equipment charges for the Whole Home DVR package.

Is any Cox Customer receiving the Plus Package channels paying an additional fee?
What I wonder I don't even see these listed on cox website yet?
Old 01-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #2062
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
What I wonder I don't even see these listed on cox website yet?
They are not listed Yet in the channel line-up but are available. You Must have a Premiere I believe because they are MPEG4 not MPEG2

I emailed back and questioned the initial quote of $10/mo just for the channels, and was told he made a mistake and the channels are Free as long as you subscribe to the corresponding SD Tier. I should have them shortly, fingers crossed.

Cox AZ is charging $10/mo for the Whole Home DVR equipment however, which is twice the price of other current markets.

EDIT:
First attempt did not get the channels working, although they do show as having been added to my account online. Issue has been escalated.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 01-20-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #2063
aztivo

Quote:
They are not listed Yet in the channel line-up but are available. You Must have a Premiere I believe because they are MPEG4 not MPEG2

I emailed back and questioned the initial quote of $10/mo just for the channels, and was told he made a mistake and the channels are Free as long as you subscribe to the corresponding SD Tier. I should have them shortly, fingers crossed.

Cox AZ is charging $10/mo for the Whole Home DVR equipment however, which is twice the price of other current markets.

EDIT:
Update if you get them please
Old 01-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #2064
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
Anyone here in RI? Whats the situation?

I got a letter a while back saying I needed to get a TA for SDV. I never did anything, and now can't find the letter. So far it appears that I am not missing anything.

I got my TA, but it wasn't working properly, but I still received all my channels. I'm in Pawtucket, and on the 18th all the channels on the SDV list went away.

Try channel 195, if it says there is a signal problem then you know sdv was activated for you. The letter said november 7th, I guess they were a few months late. But once they sent a hit to my tuning adapter all was well.

wonder if it is slowly being turned on node by node based
Old 01-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #2065
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Cox AZ Plus Package HD Channels

Quote:
Update if you get them please
So far they are still Not Authorized for me, Most CSRs are not even aware this is possible, They have to dig through their info database to find the information. Cox is going to send a TECH out Wednesday, Not sure what he is going to do as I do have a good signal and SNR and the tuner can lock onto the channel.

I'll post back after the Tech comes.

EDIT: Tech came out today, Wednesday, and had never heard of the channels, Still Not Authorized.

EDIT: 2 Another Tech roll Friday 1/27, still not Authorized.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 01-28-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #2066
Beven

Quote:
I got my TA, but it wasn't working properly, but I still received all my channels. I'm in Pawtucket, and on the 18th all the channels on the SDV list went away.

Try channel 195, if it says there is a signal problem then you know sdv was activated for you. The letter said november 7th, I guess they were a few months late. But once they sent a hit to my tuning adapter all was well.

We're in North Prov - and I guess I've just been lazy and never picked up that TA. Is it really necessary? We're not getting any special packages -- how would you know if you need it? (sorry for the obliviousness)
Beven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #2067
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:

I finally found the letter and I can't say at the moment I will miss any of the channels that are going to be on SDV
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #2068
LynnL999

Quote:
I finally found the letter and I can't say at the moment I will miss any of the channels that are going to be on SDV
*shrugs* If it's me, I want all the channels I'm entitled to, even if there's nothing immediate I might want to watch on them. A few years ago, I wouldn't have suspected I'd be watching AMC regularly. If I didn't have it available, I might not have sampled shows I now watch regularly.

In our area, SDV includes a lot of HD channels, including FX, that I definitely wanted access to.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #2069
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beven View Post
We're in North Prov - and I guess I've just been lazy and never picked up that TA. Is it really necessary? We're not getting any special packages -- how would you know if you need it? (sorry for the obliviousness)
Quote:
When Cox deploys SDV they generally start with a small block of 30-50 seldom watched channels, and add more blocks of channels over the next several months. The total number of SDV channels will end up being around 200 channels.

Typical SDV channels are mostly the SD channels in the Variety, Sports & Info, Movie, Faith & Values and Latino Packages.

Common Cox HD channels using SDV are BBCA HD, Bio HD, CMT HD, Disney XD HD, Encore HD, EPIXHD, ESPNUHD, Fox Business HD, Fox Soccer HD, Fuse HD, G4HD, Galavision HD, Hallmark Channel HD, Hallmark Movie HD, History2 HD, IFC HD, Investigation Discovery HD, LMN HD, More Max HD, TMC HD, MSNBC HD, Starz Edge HD, Tennis Channel HD, TruTV HD, Weather Channel HD, WETV HD

Motorola Systems may be different, but in AZ with Cisco equipment, you must have a Tuning Adapter connected to download the correct channel mapping.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 01-27-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #2070
LoREvanescence

Out of curiosity what does this message mean: " Channel not provided by the Tuning Adapter. Contact your cable provider for more information."

I get all all the sdv channels, however I recently noticed that the guide is now showing some out of market locals and a all the sub channels for the locals I get. But I get the above message when ever I try to tune anyone of them.