TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Bug in 20.2: Stop & Delete

When you select stop and delete while recording something the program will stop recording but doesn't delete it.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
When you select stop and delete while recording something the program will stop recording but doesn't delete it.
I just tried it from the now playing list. I hit clear on the show while it was playing and recording. I selected stop and delete and the show was deleted.

What screen are you on when doing it?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
PaulS

I saw this last night for the first time. I tried to stop&delete a recording in progress. The recording stopped, but the item remained in My Shows. Repeated attempts to delete the recording in My Shows failed -- the recording remained. Deleting the show via the iPhone app succeeded, though.

This was the first instance I had seen this issue since receiving 20.2, even though I had deleted quite a few shows, both completed and in-progress (both from Cable and network download).
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I saw this last night for the first time. I tried to stop&delete a recording in progress. The recording stopped, but the item remained in My Shows. Repeated attempts to delete the recording in My Shows failed -- the recording remained. Deleting the show via the iPhone app succeeded, though.

This was the first instance I had seen this issue since receiving 20.2, even though I had deleted quite a few shows, both completed and in-progress (both from Cable and network download).
I dont believe this is a 20.2 bug as i have had this issue as far back as 14.9c happening once or twice i believe
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
minimeh
Vanity Phrase Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

Similar experience here, except I used kmttg do finally delete the recording. Also ran across that in 14.9.2 one time as well.
minimeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
djwilso

I also had this happen last night with 20.2 on my Elite.

The recording was in progress, I pressed Left arrow to go back to the "My Shows" list, clicked Clear, got the prompt and selected the "Stop Recording and Delete" option.

The program stopped recording but it was not deleted. Clicking Clear on the program again did delete it.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
moyekj

Since forcing myself to use HDUI I've seen this issue off and on. I had one last night that when selecting "Stop Recording and Delete" option it stopped the recording but did not delete it. Pressing clear did delete it. SDUI doesn't have such an option but there I always use "Clear" to stop recording and then find show in My Shows and use "Clear" again to remove it and don't recall ever having a case where it would not delete.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
Kivo

I've also seen this problem with 20.2. The two times I've tried this, the same thing has happened. The recording stops, but does not delete. Hitting clear again will delete the recording.

I had this same problem when the Premiere was originally released. One of the updates a few months later fixed the problem. Now, with 20.2, it's back.
Kivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivo View Post
I've also seen this problem with 20.2. The two times I've tried this, the same thing has happened. The recording stops, but does not delete. Hitting clear again will delete the recording.

I had this same problem when the Premiere was originally released. One of the updates a few months later fixed the problem. Now, with 20.2, it's back.
On several occasions I've tried to delete a show using the Clear key and had to hit it a second time. I just assumed that I hadn't really hit it the first time or maybe I wasn't aiming the remote quite right, but now I'm not so sure. Has anyone (else) ever had to delete twice to get the job done with the Clear key? I'm speculating that this might not just be a problem with the "stop and delete" menu selection. And BTW it happened on version 14.x, not just 20.2, which I got only this morning.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

I still have not run into this issue. Last night when I was messing around to see the number of read/write HD streams I could get going, I had recordings going on all my Premieres. So ten times I selected to stop the recording and delete and they were deleted.

What I did run across was a bug that occurred a couple of times when I tried to stop and delete the second recording. The window would pop up with the options, but the text in the background was still highlighted so I could not make a selection in the overlay window. I had to hit live TV to get out of it and go back and then when the overlay window popped up, teh text could be selected to stop and delete the recording.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivo View Post

Ditto (to both paragraphs).
NotVeryWitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #12
OC7

Happened to me also in 20.2. The program remained in My Shows after I pressed Stop Recording and Delete.

Within My Shows, I could not delete the program with either the Delete Now option or the Clear button.

I was finally able to delete the program about 20 minutes later.

Other than this item, its a great update!
OC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

I have to ask this, since I am curious, and to me this is a usability issue:

Why would anyone press "clear" on a recording program and then want to keep a partial program? Why is there even a choice in the menu at all? I can understand wanting a confirmation, because unlike deleting something that was finished recording, deleting something that IS recording cannot be undone. But I just don't understand why I should be asked (essentially) if I want to keep a partial program! And to make it worse- THAT IS THE DEFAULT!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
bbrown9

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post

Why would anyone press "clear" on a recording program and then want to keep a partial program? Why is there even a choice in the menu at all? I can understand wanting a confirmation, because unlike deleting something that was finished recording, deleting something that IS recording cannot be undone. But I just don't understand why I should be asked (essentially) if I want to keep a partial program! And to make it worse- THAT IS THE DEFAULT!
The only thing I can think of is if you wanted to keep a segment of a show but not the whole thing. Or you padded something out beyond the listed end time becauses you thought it might go over, but then it didn't.
bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #15
djwilso

Had this happen for the second time last night on 20.2. Definitely a bug.

Although I was able to again press Clear and delete the program immediately, just as when it happened the first time.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #16
minimeh
Vanity Phrase Here

Quote:

Actual use case for me: I record sports events with 1.5 to 3 hours of padding to ensure seeing the conclusion. I typically start watching after an hour or so has recorded. Not unusual to finish watching at near real time. So now I know I don't need all of the padding but maybe I would like to watch the post-game analysis that has been captured, but not just now. So I stop the recording which is technically a "partial", but keep it.

Definitely an edge case, but still....
minimeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #17
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimeh View Post
Actual use case for me: I record sports events with 1.5 to 3 hours of padding to ensure seeing the conclusion. I typically start watching after an hour or so has recorded. Not unusual to finish watching at near real time. So now I know I don't need all of the padding but maybe I would like to watch the post-game analysis that has been captured, but not just now. So I stop the recording which is technically a "partial", but keep it.

Definitely an edge case, but still....
Thanks for sharing. Seems like a logical reason to have such a feature remain (that, and the examples from previous postings). I would still say that at a minimum- the default should be to stop and delete instead of just stop. I would guess 99% of the time, a user will be cleaning suggestions out and want to stop and delete an unwanted suggestion that is being recorded.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #18
bbrown9

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. Seems like a logical reason to have such a feature remain (that, and the examples from previous postings). I would still say that at a minimum- the default should be to stop and delete instead of just stop. I would guess 99% of the time, a user will be cleaning suggestions out and want to stop and delete an unwanted suggestion that is being recorded.
My answer to that is to disable recording suggestions. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to clutter up their TiVo with stuff they didn't choose to record. I have enough stuff recording as it is.
bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #19
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown9 View Post
My answer to that is to disable recording suggestions. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to clutter up their TiVo with stuff they didn't choose to record. I have enough stuff recording as it is.
Suggestions are one of the best features of the TiVo. Turning it off is like throwing the stereo out of your car- sure, it still drives, but, ug!

I can't tell you the number of new things I have found with suggestions. They don't interfere with things you want to keep, but by going through your suggestions and rating them, you get better stuff each time. Many times, suggestions have saved me when I forgot to set up a SP or other recording, but it knew I would like it and recorded it.

I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to waste their unused space by not filling it with possibly useful stuff.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #20
innocentfreak

Quote:
Suggestions are one of the best features of the TiVo. Turning it off is like throwing the stereo out of your car- sure, it still drives, but, ug!

I can't tell you the number of new things I have found with suggestions. They don't interfere with things you want to keep, but by going through your suggestions and rating them, you get better stuff each time. Many times, suggestions have saved me when I forgot to set up a SP or other recording, but it knew I would like it and recorded it.

I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to waste their unused space by not filling it with possibly useful stuff.
Not when you record everything. I browse suggestions every now and then, but I have yet to find suggestions valuable for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #21
moyekj

Yes I have no use for suggestions either. First thing to turn off for me on a new TiVo is TiVo Sound Effects closely followed by Suggestions, then entering of SPS30S for 30 sec skip and SPSPS for quick clearing play bar. Just glad TiVo has options for those things so people can choose their preferences.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #22
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Yes I have no use for suggestions either. First thing to turn off for me on a new TiVo is TiVo Sound Effects closely followed by Suggestions, then entering of SPS30S for 30 sec skip and SPSPS for quick clearing play bar. Just glad TiVo has options for those things so people can choose their preferences.
+100 exactly. And this illustrates it perfectly. Different users have different wants and expectations.

Users need choice. I can't stress that enough. And we need even more ability to choose. Choice to turn off the discovery bar, to determine where the infobar appears, and ability to turn off Internet-loaded stuff on first-level/second-level menus are probably the top on my list.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #23
moyekj

Stop & Delete failed to delete 2 recordings for me again last night from HDUI. Both cases though pressing clear on them did then remove them. The SDUI which I normally use doesn't give you Stop & Delete option so I'm used to pressing clear to stop and then clear again to delete anyway so not a big deal, but certainly an HDUI bug.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #24
ADG
Allan

I had never even tried this before reading this thread, but last night I did and it worked fine.

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #25
steve771

Stop and delete doesn't work for me either. As others have said, the program stops, but doesn't delete.
steve771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #26
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

It just failed to delete the program twice last night for me. There is no question there is a bug, even though it appears to be intermittent.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #27
moyekj

It's failed so many times for me that I don't even try and use it anymore. I just use the stop only, wait until the red circle goes away then click clear to delete it.