TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
clam729

Search - Missing Categories

Please tell me that I am missing something obvious. When I select Find Shows, I used to be able to narrow down my search to certain categories (i.e. movies / horror or documentary, etc.). I can no longer find these categories. All I seem to find are threads about "new features" and "lrn2use wishlists". Seriously ? TiVo wants me to create a ton of empty wishlists so I can perform searches that I have been doing for years now ?

Oh wise forum, please tell me I am missing an option/selection or something.
clam729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
astrohip
Stuart F

I just noticed this today (new Elite this week). Hard to imagine they took OUT a feature. I used that all the time.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
lonewoolf47

Quote:
Originally Posted by clam729 View Post
Please tell me that I am missing something obvious. When I select Find Shows, I used to be able to narrow down my search to certain categories (i.e. movies / horror or documentary, etc.). I can no longer find these categories. All I seem to find are threads about "new features" and "lrn2use wishlists". Seriously ? TiVo wants me to create a ton of empty wishlists so I can perform searches that I have been doing for years now ?

You have to go to "Browse TV and Movies"
lonewoolf47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewoolf47 View Post
You have to go to "Browse TV and Movies"
I don't see that menu option. Where is it?

BTW, I usually get to Search with a TiVo-4.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
hillyard

just took it out on the premier the hd still has filters
hillyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
BTW, I usually get to Search with a TiVo-4.
Looks like this takes you straight to TiVo Search on the Premiere. In TiVo Search if you press "Enter" on the remote you can set filters and sorting.

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
astrohip
Stuart F

I've tried it both ways--no filters. I use the SDUI; I wonder if HDUI has it...

{off to test}

Nope. Even under HDUI, when I press TiVo-4, or when I go thru the menus (Search...), I come directly to the search grid, with no cats available to filter.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
nrc
Cracker Soul

Is this the search screen that you're using?

If so, the prompt at the top suggests that you can set options with the "A" button on the remote, sort order with the "B" button, and filters with the "C" button.

Not entirely square
Old 01-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clam729 View Post

Fascinating. I am not sure how I missed that! You are correct. In the SDUI, when you use "Find Shows", it used to ask a lot of questions about what type of show. Now you go straight to the search words to enter something. I have to say, this is a pretty drastic change, especially since there doesn't appear to be any way to DO a search within categories anymore Was a similar change made in the HDUI?

I have to admit that I love this change, because I *never* used the categories when trying to search for something by name, so it was just two or three more irritating, time-consuming questions I had to answer every time I wanted a search.

Will update the changelog, although I need to know about HDUI...
Old 01-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #10
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
Looks like this takes you straight to TiVo Search on the Premiere. In TiVo Search if you press "Enter" on the remote you can set filters and sorting.
1) I see nothing named "TiVo Search", so you must be talking about HDUI (which your next post seems to confirm).

2) Even on the sample screen you posted, I see no mention about using "enter" to set filters and sorting of results from a title search.

3) Are you saying there is also some type of change in the behavior on the HDUI? (I am not familiar with the HDUI, so I wouldn't know if there were a change).

Thanks
Old 01-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #11
innocentfreak

In the HDUI you can just search or hit A. Option A brings up the following options.

Sort
Quality
Source
Cost
Category

Under category you can then filter by all, movies, tv shows, sports, music, or other videos. Under tv and movies you also have the various genres.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
astrohip
Stuart F

Thanks for all the info. I was not familiar with the HDUI options.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
qmsi
Nancy F

I've been using TiVo for many years. While these days I have the Premier HD box, I prefer to use the SD menus as things are much faster. And yes, TiVo apparently has removed the 'narrow your search' categories from the SD Find Shows section. I'm very upset about this as I used it all the time. I often browsed through a particular category (mostly Home Improvement and Home & Garden) to look for any new shows or specials. I hope they put it back.
qmsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #14
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
1) I see nothing named "TiVo Search", so you must be talking about HDUI (which your next post seems to confirm).
Yes. Well kind of. TiVo Search is available on the SDUI on the S3 where it replaces Swivel Search if you opt-in. I think I saw in a discussion that on the Premiere in SDUI mode neither TiVo Search or Swivel Search are available. This is probably because they assumed that the SDUI would only be used by those without broadband access, which both of those require.

Quote:
2) Even on the sample screen you posted, I see no mention about using "enter" to set filters and sorting of results from a title search.
Sorry for the confusion. On the S3 with TiVo Search they specify "Enter" to bring up the search Options screen since the S3 remote doesn't have the colored A, B, and C buttons that they use on the Premiere.

Quote:
3) Are you saying there is also some type of change in the behavior on the HDUI? (I am not familiar with the HDUI, so I wouldn't know if there were a change).
No, it's just a difference between TiVo Search on the S3 and Premiere.

Not entirely square
Old 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #15
chazas

I just noticed this change in behavior. (Yeah, maybe not paying attention.) It's horrible. Using the search function with the categories in the colored buttons brings up tons and tons of completely irrelevant stuff. Making a category keyword search is better, but you have to scroll through all the repeats of the same program.

Why in the world did they mess with something that worked perfectly? TiVo really needs to get its act together.
chazas is offline   Reply With Quote