TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #601
astrohip
Stuart F

How do I get a TiVo name change to appear in TiVo Remote?

I hooked up a new Elite about a week ago. The first time I ran TiVo Remote it displayed what I am guessing is some sort of model #/name: DVR-658A. I have since renamed it, and that rename has populated down everywhere--the other TiVos, online, TiVo Desktop, etc. Everywhere except... TiVo Remote.

Is it cached somewhere? Or something else I need to do to get the name change to pass thru?

Thanks!
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #602
Ben321

I have TIVO Series-2 device. Will this work on that too? Or will I need to use a different TCP port number for telnet? Or is this simply impossible to do with a Series-2 device?

I've plugged in a "crossover" ethernet cable so I don't need to use a router. I want to telnet the device. But it won't even go on the network. Its first action to test if it's on a network is to check if it's on the INTERNET, which means connecting to TIVO's server. I don't have a way to get the internet service in my computer (via wireless) to be "shared" to my other network adapter (the one the ethernet is connected to). So my TIVO never "sees" the internet, so it REFUSES to connect to my LAN. How to I get it to join my LAN as a device on my network WITHOUT connecting to the internet? I want to do this telnet thing but I can't get it to work as long as it fails the "internet test". Is there any trick to get it to connect to my LAN without attempting to connect to the internet (which automatically causes it to disconnect from my LAN upon failure to connect to the internet)? It doesn't even respond to the PING 192.168.1.101 command sent from the windows command prompt. Collasoft MAC Scanner doesn't display the device. It's as if it isn't evven connected to my network though it DIRECTLY connected to my computer's ethernet port with a "crossover" ethernet cable.

Any help here would be GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited by Ben321 : 01-02-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Ben321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #603
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
How do I get a TiVo name change to appear in TiVo Remote?
If you're talking about my program, the names are definitely not cached; they're collected at startup. It's interesting that the situation you describe is even possible; I wouldn't have expected it.

Did you try rebooting the affected TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben321 View Post
I have TIVO Series-2 device. Will this work on that too? Or will I need to use a different TCP port number for telnet? Or is this simply impossible to do with a Series-2 device?
TiVo Inc. has not implemented the TCP/IP remote service for the Series 2. There's no technical reason they couldn't, AFAICT, but they didn't. And at this point, they won't. Sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #604
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
If you're talking about my program, the names are definitely not cached; they're collected at startup. It's interesting that the situation you describe is even possible; I wouldn't have expected it.

Did you try rebooting the affected TiVo?
Yes, your program. Which I love and my wife could not live without. I believe it rebooted yesterday during a power outage (note to self: why didn't the UPS work--need to look into that). I'll check tonight and see if that updated anything.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #605
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip
Yes, your program. Which I love and my wife could not live without. I believe it rebooted yesterday during a power outage (note to self: why didn't the UPS work--need to look into that). I'll check tonight and see if that updated anything.
If your UPS is like mine, then the battery is too old and needs to be replaced. Batteries in UPSes only last around 3 to 5 years.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #606
motech

does anyone know if the zoom commands works over IP?
i don't see it anywhere….

i hate that there is no exit button on tivo's.
motech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #607
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by motech View Post
does anyone know if the zoom commands works over IP?
i don't see it anywhere….
Sure. The IRCODE for it is WINDOW, the original name for the "Zoom" button, which has also been named "Aspect" at times.

There's also a set of discrete codes to set the specific zoom mode, described a few pages up. These don't correspond to any remote buttons.

Quote:
i hate that there is no exit button on tivo's.
What would that do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #608
motech

when in tivo central - how do you get out of tivo central without pressing live tv?
i say without pressing live tv because sometimes you are playing back a recorded show and press tivo central by mistake…. whats the best way to get back to the show you were watching ?
Old 01-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #609
motech

and on top of that, if you are watching tv - and you press guide, whats the best way to get right of the guide?
Old 01-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #610
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
when in tivo central - how do you get out of tivo central without pressing live tv? i say without pressing live tv because sometimes you are playing back a recorded show and press tivo central by mistake…. whats the best way to get back to the show you were watching ?
If you have a Premiere, you would use Zoom because the recorded show you were watching will be in the video preview window still. If you have an older model TiVo, there's no way to quickly go back if you press the TiVo button. You'll need to go back to the NPL and resume playing the show.

Quote:
and on top of that, if you are watching tv - and you press guide, whats the best way to get right of the guide?
Just press Guide again.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #611
motech

ok so i figured those out a while ago.
i was just trying to make sure i didn't know of a better way.

i was also pointing out why i thought tivo needed an exit button
Old 01-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #612
motech

actually what I'm hoping is that in 20.2 when in the new guide - zoom will work the same way it does in tivo central…basically as an exit button.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #613
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

"Clear" will remove the Guide, as well as other overlay displays (Info, Play bar, etc.). The left arrow lets you back out of most screens -- admittedly, not TiVo Central. However, I have a hard time picturing an Exit button working differently there. Conceptually, TiVo Central is the base level; there's nothing to exit to from there. You're asking for Live TV -- or a playing recording? -- to be treated as the base level instead.

Edit: Although, as I think of it, Live TV is treated as the base level in one context: If you leave the TiVo on TiVo Central, it will eventually switch to Live TV, in an attempt to prevent burn-in.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 01-16-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #614
motech

there should be one common button to get you back to a base level.
if you open guide, you have to press guide or clear or live tv to get back to tv.
that clear button is dangerous as if someone is used to pressing that to get out of a guide then they might push it by mistake when viewing the now playing list. which will then delete something they didn't want to delete.
if you are in tivo menus, you have a different set of buttons that will get you out of that menu. zoom, live tv, etc.
how does zoom make sense?

its just continuity I'm looking for.
im a crestron programmer and I'm trying to make this easy for my clients to understand.
so i have to tell them that when in guide, press guide again to get out. and when in tivo menus, press zoom to get out.

I'm hoping that in 20.2 the new guide is treated like the tivo menus, and zoom will exit back to whatever you are watching below it as well. that way zoom will work as an "exit" button the same way in both those scenarios.

keep in mind that cable, directv, dish, etc all have an exit button. and for good reason i think.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #615
pcw132

Skavan,

I have both a tivo and a slingbox, the delay is not so much the slingbox as it is the component/composite connection vs the HDMI port. there seems to be a delay in responce if set to hdmi. as a test i had a hdmi to component device that when connected to the slingbox was much faster but still a small delay for the video/network sync on slingbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skavan View Post
ok ok...so my tivo is in a different room to my home office -- where i have been developing a homeseer based version of the tivo remote control.
To view the TIVO and ensure the system was performing over IP I fired up the slingplayer application which connects to a SlingBox that is connected by COmponent Video to the TIVO. The SlingBox streams the TIVO output to the Slingplayer in my office.

I would send a command to the TIVO while watching the SlingPlayer to see its effect. I was terribly puzzled by the apparent 3 second delay between issuing a command and seeing the TIVO react...until you factor in the latency in the streaming of the TIVO signal to the Slingplayer application.

It was happening in RT at the TIVO and taking 3 seconds to beam the signal to my PC.

OK...as I say, I was an idiot! Nonetheless, Hoemseer is now sending IP commands to the TIVO. Next up is to connect it to the HSTouch skin (attached).

pcw132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #616
getgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
live feed from the S3 TiVo can be displayed on the PC doing the capture.
How did you get the live feed on your PC?

Speels betr than typos.
getgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #617
ffneil

?
ffneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #618
ffneil

Does anyone use Cinemar's Main lobby to control TIVO?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #619
ffneil

Does anyone use HomeSeer to control TIVO?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #620
ffneil

---
Old 10-07-2012, 03:48 AM   #621
Old Tom

I guess I have the same problem as post #585.

I installed Python 2.7 under WinXP SP3 and downloaded remote.pyw (no un-zipping needed, since you seem to have change how you posted the files) but nothing happens. Running Process Explorer, I occasionally see pythonw.exe start but immediately shut down but even that doesn't happen most of the time.

What am I missing?
Old Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #622
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

First of all, no, I haven't changed the packaging, and you should still be grabbing the zip file, from here: https://github.com/downloads/wmcbrin...emote-0.26.zip

But in this case, the only difference would be the absence of the Zeroconf module.

If you've seen the problem in #585, then you should also have seen my reply in #586: If nothing shows up, not even an error message, then run it from the command line so you can see the error there.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #623
Old Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
First of all, no, I haven't changed the packaging, and you should still be grabbing the zip file, from here: github.com/downloads/wmcbrine/tivoremote/tivo-remote-0.26.zip
SUCCESS!!! That did it! I had downloaded from github.com/wmcbrine/tivoremote which was the problem. I'd found that URL somewhere in the forum instead of the one you posted this time. The one I got first was, I guess, the source code but since the file names are the same and I'm totally new to Python I had no idea what was wrong.

Thanks!

Small grumble: I had to strip parts of the URLs in order to post this since this is only my second post.
Old Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #624
robnturkey

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for all the info on how to control Tivo. I've been following this thread for years, watching as new discoveries came to light.

I just finished my own mobile app, for the Windows Phone platform, called Tivo Command. It would have been much harder to build without the great technical info included here.

Btw, I'm also planning on speech enabling the app, using the new features available to developers on Windows Phone 8, available later this month.

If any of you have voice commands you'd like to use in the app, let me know. I'm alreading planning on commands like these:
• "Tivo, switch to AMC"
• "Tivo, change to channel 104"
• "Tivo, search on IMDB" ... "For what", TiVo asks ... "Breaking Bad"
• "Tivo, what's on HBO tonight?"
• "Tivo, when is the next episode of Dexter?"
robnturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #625
lrhorer

"HAL, open the iPod bay doors, please..."
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #626
robnturkey

Sure thing! The speech part of that'll be easy, but I'll need the protocol docs for the pod doors. Which thread on here has that info. :-)
robnturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #627
DonGateley

It's absolutely illogical, insane and control freakish that I can't see your links until I've made ten posts. This should bring it up to 4.
DonGateley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #628
DonGateley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tom View Post
Small grumble: I had to strip parts of the URLs in order to post this since this is only my second post.
I really appreciate that you did that. I can't figure why they want us to fly blind for a while. Post links, maybe, but view them?
DonGateley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #629
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Network Remote 0.27

Nearly two years on, it's time for another update to my remote.

This version brings back the "Aspect" button, but as a control for the direct mode-changing codes (similar to the closed caption button), not a replacement for "Zoom". To make a place for this, I've dropped the SPS30S macro button.

I've upgraded the Mac version to a proper app bundle. It should work on OS X 10.6+. (I've given up on trying to build a more universal app, but the .pyw will still work even in 10.4.)

Some buttons now have an alternate, "graphical" rendering, via Unicode glyphs, selected by the "-g" command-line option. (This is on by default with the Mac app version.)

Bug: The Thumbs Down shortcut 'd' was overridden by the one for the 'D' button. Fix: The A/B/C/D shortcuts are now capital (shifted) keys.

Also, the Network Remote now has a new host -- I finally have a proper web site at:

http://wmcbrine.com/

Specifically, for the remote, at:

http://wmcbrine.com/tivo/#remote

This should be easier for people to deal with than GitHub, especially since they're discontinuing their download service. (The source code repository will still be available at GitHub; and in fact, it's the only place where you can get all the elements to build the Mac app.)

Please feel free to link to the new site.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #630
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Awesome, thanks so much wmcbrine! I just downloaded the Mac app and it's working great for me on OS X 10.8.3. The new "graphical" rendering makes it a bit nicer to use. I appreciate it!

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote