TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #31
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
My Bluetooth remote works in a totally separate room from where the TiVo's at. (My TiVo Premiere is shared between living room and bedroom TV's.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #32
MissLynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
I've found mine works no more than 25' directly in line of sight to the dongle. And this is when I have it connected to the back of the Tivo using the extension cable and with the dongle rested along the side of the Tivo....

Here's a thought, do you have a lot of other 2.4ghz devices around? Like lots of other WiFi networks listed when you try using a laptop or handheld device that has WiFi? It's possible there are other networks causing too much interference with your setup. Do you have any other devices that use Bluetooth? Could you see if those malfunction when in the same place as the Tivo and the remote?
I just saw your post, but I already sent slide back to Amazon. I don't have any devices using bluetooth. I use wifi with my phone and laptop while sitting in the same place with no problem. There are other networks as I live in an apartment. Could that cause the problem? I might buy another slide and try again.
MissLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #33
Revelate

I thought I'd chime in here because this thread was started with symptoms that I believe are from failed/faulty hardware, but subsequent posts sidetracked into a mix of people having possible Bluetooth/pairing or IR problems and flaky operation that are associated with the wireless connection.

I have three Slides for three Tivo's. Two of them work great, but one had problems right out of the box. It had the exact symptoms described by the OP where button presses would work for a few seconds, then stop responding for a few seconds. Other times a button press would be missed in succession (three FF only resulted in two, or channel 805 would result in 85, etc). It was especially frustrating when I'd get a 3xFF to work, but then the remote would be unresponsive and the Play button wouldn't work for about 2-4 seconds.

With three Tivos and three Slides, I did some basic troubleshooting and found that any good working Slide/dongle combo could be moved to any Tivo and function as expected. The bad Slide/dongle could be moved to any Tivo and function poorly anywhere it went.

I obviously tried the BT pairing, global reset, etc etc to no avail. I did not attempt to identify if it was specifically the Slide remote or the BT dongle causing the issue as I did not want to use the functioning remotes as guinea pigs and potentially create a new problem. I simply called Tivo with my findings and they will be sending me a new Slide remote.

I, like others, waited a while before calling Tivo because it's easy to suspect that it's an environmental problem with general 2.4GHz interference, Bluetooth interference or just lack of understanding how the remote is supposed to operate. I am now convinced that the hardware itself can be defective and the symptoms can be masked to appear environmental. I am fortunate to have so many "test units" to compare with, but for others with only one Tivo and Slide remote, you should consider faulty hardware a possible cause if you've tried the environmental and reset tests first like a global remote reset, unpair/repair with the dongle, relocating the dongle with an extension cable, temporarily turning off other 2.4GHz devices (especially BT) and trying all available USB ports on the back of your Tivo.
Revelate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #34
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
With three Tivos and three Slides, I did some basic troubleshooting and found that any good working Slide/dongle combo could be moved to any Tivo and function as expected. The bad Slide/dongle could be moved to any Tivo and function poorly anywhere it went.

I obviously tried the BT pairing, global reset, etc etc to no avail. I did not attempt to identify if it was specifically the Slide remote or the BT dongle causing the issue as I did not want to use the functioning remotes as guinea pigs and potentially create a new problem. I simply called Tivo with my findings and they will be sending me a new Slide remote.
Thank you for doing the testing to really nail down that there are non-eviromental problems with some slide remotes.

Guess I need to dig mine up and give TiVo a call. (Hopefully I didn't procrastinate too long to get it replaced)
Old 01-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #35
Revelate

I received a replacement Slide remote (new remote and dongle) from TiVo. Disconnected the malfunctioning one, connected the new one. I reused the batteries and placed the new dongle in the exact same position to reduce the number of external variables.

It works perfectly.

Slides with sporadic input do exist.
Revelate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #36
KillTheGrimace

Dang, I figured they were just plain garbage. We bought two when they first came out and they worked for a week before both utterly failing to operate under BlueTooth. We still use one as an IR remote, but the other stopped working in either capacity. $200 straight into the toilet.

Glad to hear some folks have had success, I guess.
KillTheGrimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #37
MissLynn

Since I sent my slide remote back for a refund, I found out about the iphone tivo app. I downloaded the app. The only feature I use is the keyboard for typing when doing wish list searches for actors, or searching for a program.

The good thing (other than saving me money by not buying another slide remote to try) is the response time is immediate when I type a word which is not the case with my Tivo remote that was included with the dvr. It had a lag time between pressing the select button on remote and it actually appearing on screen.
MissLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #38
sirfergy

Of the four slides I've purchased, only one still works. To confirm that it was the remote, I paired it with my PC and it exhibited the same issues. Ignored presses, and random delays. Argh!
sirfergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #39
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

I'm afraid one of mine has started to go... Seems to randomly lose button presses. I realize remotes don't last forever, but this seems well premature.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #40
rvmeush

Here's an experiment to try that worked for me to get the Slide remote working better (at least for a while). Take out the batteries and let the remote sit for a while - at least overnight - and then try the remote again.

I'd like to have others see if this will work for them. I'm not sure if the fix will work over time - we'll see.
rvmeush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #41
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Taking the batteries out for some duration is going to have zero effect. It's not like a power supply or something else with large capacitors inside of it.

Replacing the remote with a new one ($38 on amazon) solved it. Using the existing BT dongle showed that wasn't the problem either, nor the placement of it.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #42
rvmeush

Quote:
Taking the batteries out for some duration is going to have zero effect. It's not like a power supply or something else with large capacitors inside of it.

Replacing the remote with a new one ($38 on amazon) solved it. Using the existing BT dongle showed that wasn't the problem either, nor the placement of it.
It's interesting that you say it will have no effect because I have a friend who tried this and said that his Slide starting working properly. I'm suggesting that others who are having problems with the slide try this procedure and see if it works for them. Your comment isn't particularly helpful.
rvmeush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #43
arw01

Big Grin

Quote:

Well I have two of those $38.00 amazon remotes. One still in the box and the other ignoring 3-4 button presses EVERY time you used it.

I followed the advise of the previous post that you dimissed, but i just took out the batteries for a few seconds, pressed lots of buttons to drain any residual charge, put the batteries back in and it's working PERFECTLY.

Tivo Series HD (stock) lifetime
LFS 6.5
arw01 is offline   Reply With Quote