TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
forum1
TiVo user since 2000

14.9.2.2 Software - Problem with the signal on this cable channel. Trying again

Since my two Premiere XLs received the 14.9.2.2 software one of the units has been getting into a state where it will not tune to any channel, instead displaying the message “Problem with the signal on this cable channel. Trying again.” When the unit gets into this state the only way I have found thus far to correct it is to reboot the unit.

Once the unit is back up it has no trouble tuning in channels, at least for a few days. When looking in the recoding history I can see that various scheduled recordings were missed with the explanation "This program was not recorded because the video signal was unavailable." There does not appear to be any issue with the signal on the coax cable coming into the TiVo and I had never seen a tuning error message until receiving 14.9.2.2 software.

There have been reports of a similar issue, specifically with Tuning Adapters and 14.9.2.2 software, as noted at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=480226, line item 1.2.6 and post 125 at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...22#post8875322. Some folks temporarily remedy the situation by power cycling the tuning adapter or changing the channel. In my case I am not using a tuning adapter and changing the channel has no effect. Both of my Premiere XLs have Motorola CableCARDs with Verizon FiOS TV service. Clearly this is not just a tuning adapter issue, although why I am only seeing this with one Premiere unit and not the other is strange, especially since both units are configured identically sans recording schedules and IP addresses.
forum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

I had this happen recently with one of my Premires on FiOS. So far it hasn't happened again or with my other boxes on FiOS.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
evanborkow

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum1 View Post
Since my two Premiere XLs received the 14.9.2.2 software one of the units has been getting into a state where it will not tune to any channel, instead displaying the message “Problem with the signal on this cable channel. Trying again.” When the unit gets into this state the only way I have found thus far to correct it is to reboot the unit.

Once the unit is back up it has no trouble tuning in channels, at least for a few days. When looking in the recoding history I can see that various scheduled recordings were missed with the explanation "This program was not recorded because the video signal was unavailable." There does not appear to be any issue with the signal on the coax cable coming into the TiVo and I had never seen a tuning error message until receiving 14.9.2.2 software.

There have been reports of a similar issue, specifically with Tuning Adapters and 14.9.2.2 software, as noted at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=480226, line item 1.2.6 and post 125 at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...22#post8875322. Some folks temporarily remedy the situation by power cycling the tuning adapter or changing the channel. In my case I am not using a tuning adapter and changing the channel has no effect. Both of my Premiere XLs have Motorola CableCARDs with Verizon FiOS TV service. Clearly this is not just a tuning adapter issue, although why I am only seeing this with one Premiere unit and not the other is strange, especially since both units are configured identically sans recording schedules and IP addresses.
Have you tried swapping the cable cards between units to see if it follows the card or stays with the unit?
evanborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
bryan4980

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanborkow View Post
Have you tried swapping the cable cards between units to see if it follows the card or stays with the unit?
I have seen this once on my std. Premiere.
I either pulled the cable card or rebooted, forget which. At the time I remember the cable card did not appear it was paired while the problem was occurring. Once it started working again the cc appeared paired.
bryan4980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
lpwcomp

I just had this happen on my Premiere and I have an additional datum - it didn't happen to both tuners at once. It happened to one tuner and the other tuner was fine for a while, even able to tune to the channel that initially went away once I selected a different channel on the "bad" tuner, switched to the "good" tuner and selected the original channel. The other tuner eventually went into the same condition though and I got the "searching" message on both tuners for all channels. DVR diagnostics said signal strength was strong on both tuners. Rebooted and everything is working OK at this point.

This is a stock TP, Comcast Atlanta Digital Starter, HD Menus. I have kmttg service running in the background and pyTivo running.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
shamilian

I have FIOS and the same thing happened to me yesterday. I had previously added attenuation to the line previously. I removed 3db of attenuation and rebooted, since then it had been working fine.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
shiffrin

I have Comcast and this happened to me yesterday. Both tuners had the problem and I do not have a tuning adapter. I fixed the problem by rebooting. I hope this isn't a new bug.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
JACKASTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum1 View Post

I have similiar issues. My Tivo now just randomly locks up and no reasoning for this to happen. It will stay fine for two days max but then it freezes up.. anyone else?
jack
JACKASTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
justinw

I had this happen yesterday with my Premiere. The Elite was fine. I have Comcast with no TA. Had to reboot which fixed it.
justinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
mgudites

This has been happening to me for months. TiVo won't admit it's a software bug. They keep blaming my CableCard, even though I've now replaced it twice (the one that's in there now is brand new, factory fresh).
mgudites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #11
JACKASTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgudites View Post
This has been happening to me for months. TiVo won't admit it's a software bug. They keep blaming my CableCard, even though I've now replaced it twice (the one that's in there now is brand new, factory fresh).
Just curious if you have it on a filter, and by that I mean surge protection via the cable line. Does two things filters noise and protects against power surges, but I have seen it dampen signals to cause some issues with lost signals. Not sure if it would affect a tivo but it could be the cause of your issue. Just a guess not a definate answer, but if you do use a power center or bar that filters the cable line bypass it and connect the cable to your tivo directly might make a dif might now.

good luck

regards

jack
JACKASTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:09 AM   #12
mgudites

Nope, no filters. Straight to the TV from the cable line.
mgudites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #13
lpwcomp

As much as I would like to put a surge protector on the cable, there is not one installed currently. And as I previously reported when it happened to me, DVR diagnostics was still reporting a decent strength signal on both tuners.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #14
forum1
TiVo user since 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanborkow View Post
It sounds like others have tried this to no avail, but in my case, I have not tried it. I ended up getting the 20.2 software before I got around to the hassle of a card swap. So far I have not had any channel tuning issues. From what I understand 20.2 should be pushed out to everyone by months end. Hopefully the upgrade addresses the issue for everyone else seeing this behavior.
forum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #15
BladeZ

I'm having this issue with my XL4 on Fios. Things have been fine, just started within past week. I have signal strength between 92-94 and no attenuation. I had them on there for my series 3, but didn't think I needed them on the Series 4. I just did a cold shutdown, reseated cable card, and added 6db of attenuation, we'll see if that helps the situation.
BladeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #16
sharkster

I dont' think this is specific to 14.9, as I still have it happen with the 20.2+ software on my Premieres. It's not that often, thankfully, and will usually just be on one tuner, i.e. I can change tuners and get the channel that the other tuner is telling me is not available.

I don't know what to attribute this to, but I don't think it's the adapter or CCard, otherwise wouldn't it happen across the board? (Not that I know what I'm talking about. ha)

Both of my set ups are just TV, Tivo, TA, CCard (Charter cable). I get the vibe that it's a tuner issue.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote