Forum Jump

Old 12-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #91
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Is this new since 14.9.2.2?
No.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #92
forum1
TiVo user since 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Because it might have decided to record a suggestion on the other tuner. And please keep in mind that when you are watching "live" TV (which you seem to indicate), the TiVo doesn't know there is anyone there. The message is the TiVo's way of determining if anyone really is watching live TV and warning them it has plans.
It's been a long time so I forget if it worked exactly this way, but with the Series 1 and possibly Series 2 DirecTiVos I thought it used logic for suggestion recording based on when the unit was put into Standby mode. If the unit was in Standby it would record suggestions on both tuners, if free. If the unit was active is would only record suggestions on one tuner, if free, assuming the other was actively being watched for live TV. Thus, with the unit active (not in Standby), suggestions would not be recorded at the same time a single scheduled show was recording, in order to reduce prompts to the live TV viewer. Am I remembering wrong? I guess if anyone can remember being prompted to change the channel for a suggestion, or for a scheduled recording while the other tuner was recording a suggestion, on the tuner they were using for live TV this would answer the question.

I do wish the TiVo Premier had an option for detecting if the display is on or not (easy via HDMI). With this option enabled (Standby on display off? Or maybe don’t standby and just go into “viewer away mode”) it could trigger other options, including the ability to disable the live TV buffering while the display is off and the ability to only use one tuner for suggestions, and always use that tuner first for scheduled recordings, while the display is on. Even without detecting the display state, the other options could be made available based on when the TiVo is in Standby mode.

Last edited by forum1 : 12-21-2011 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Clarity
forum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:46 PM   #93
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum1 View Post
It's been a long time so I forget if it worked exactly this way, but with the Series 1 and possibly Series 2 DirecTiVos I thought it used logic for suggestion recording based on when the unit was put into Standby mode. If the unit was in Standby it would record suggestions on both tuners, if free. If the unit was active is would only record suggestions on one tuner, if free, assuming the other was actively being watched for live TV.
I never put my Premiere in standby. It records suggestions on both tuners at the same time, very frequently. I don't recall it being any different with my previous TiVo models.

Quote:
I do wish the TiVo Premier had an option for detecting if the display is on or not (easy via HDMI).
I just don't see it as any big deal. I have a DVR precisely because I do NOT want to watch live TV, and very rarely do. And in the rare case I am watching "live" TV, being asked on an even rarer occasion if it is OK to take the tuner is just hardly worth any thought on my part.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #94
forum1
TiVo user since 2000

Quote:
I never put my Premiere in standby.
Yeah. I also never put my Premiere in Standby, but mainly because there is no hard button on the front to do so and the menu option that was on the TiVo Central menu is now in the Settings & messages menu. The extra button presses to select Standby every time are just not worth it to me.

I used to put the Series 1 and Series 2 DirecTiVos into Standby all the time. As best I can recall, the reason I put the old units in Standby was 1. They recorded more suggestions, 2. The red record LED would turn off (Series 1 only, Series 2 stayed on even when in Standby) as well as the green power LED. This was desirable because I don't think there was an option to turn the LEDs off completely, like there was/is with the Series 3 and 4. Again, this is all recollections from way back when, so no promises on accuracy.

Quote:
It records suggestions on both tuners at the same time, very frequently. I don't recall it being any different with my previous TiVo models.
Yes. I also noticed this with the Premiere when first I started using mine. It struck me as odd the first time I got a channel change prompt when I knew the other tuner should be free. Maybe someone distinctly remembers what the behavior on the Series 1 and Series 2 DirecTiVo units was.

Quote:
I just don't see it as any big deal. I have a DVR precisely because I do NOT want to watch live TV, and very rarely do. And in the rare case I am watching "live" TV, being asked on an even rarer occasion if it is OK to take the tuner is just hardly worth any thought on my part.
To each his own. I enjoy watching some TV live, especially if it's something like CNN and I have it on as background to whatever other tasks I am doing in my home office. I really don’t like being prompted for what I consider frivolous channel changes, but I also would like to have suggestions recorded when the tuner not showing live TV is free. Right now the only option I have is to disable suggestion recording completely if I want to avoid frivolous channel change prompts.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #95
Joe Siegler

Two more things.

1) The loading of my daily data packet is stupid faster. I only have OTA, so my packets are smaller, but the entire loading takes about 2-3 mins. Used to take 5 or more before.

2) if I have a piece of video I copied over from my desktop, I can no longer delete it from Now Playing with the clear button. I have to select the video, and pick the delete option from within there. That's definitely changed behaviour.

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:38 AM   #96
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post

2) if I have a piece of video I copied over from my desktop, I can no longer delete it from Now Playing with the clear button. I have to select the video, and pick the delete option from within there. That's definitely changed behaviour.
Is this with the SDUI? I'm running the HDUI and I can still hit clear to delete shows transferred from TiVo Desktop.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:55 AM   #97
BigJimOutlaw

Not sure if this was mentioned by anybody else but my files sizes are being reported wrong on the SDUI Program Details page.

For example an hour-long HD recording shows up as 0.05 GB. Only off by a factor of a hundred.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #98
Joe Siegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Is this with the SDUI? I'm running the HDUI and I can still hit clear to delete shows transferred from TiVo Desktop.
It's SDUI. I'm stuck there, because my wife and I use KidZone. You can't have HDUI and use either Parental Controls or KidZone.

Keep in mind, this isn't a "show". It's a random piece of net video. Downloaded it from Youtube.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #99
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Keep in mind, this isn't a "show". It's a random piece of net video. Downloaded it from Youtube.
I am not sure there is a difference. Any type of video is treated the same whether it is a 10 second clip or a 3 hour movie.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #100
Joe Siegler

Quote:
I am not sure there is a difference. Any type of video is treated the same whether it is a 10 second clip or a 3 hour movie.
I point that out, because copied net video like that doesn't have other options, hasn't in many revisions (like other episodes, future episodes, or whatnot). The TiVo must recognize this, otherwise it would display all the options for every piece of video, and it does not. So it must know it's different at least in SOME way.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #101
lafos

A new negative is the behavior when deleting season passes in the SP manager. After the delete, the highlight goes to the 1st SP, instead of the previous SP as before. The S3 and HD do not have this behavior, and I'm sure the Premiere didn't, either.
lafos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #102
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafos View Post
A new negative is the behavior when deleting season passes in the SP manager. After the delete, the highlight goes to the 1st SP, instead of the previous SP as before. The S3 and HD do not have this behavior, and I'm sure the Premiere didn't, either.
Very much sounds like an annoying bug. Any confirmations out there? (I don't have any to delete!!) ((I guess I could make one))
Old 12-22-2011, 10:56 PM   #103
Joe Siegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafos
This did NOT happen to me. Season pass manager stayed where it was.

I did notice however, that a new season pass defaults to keeping 10 episodes; used to be just 5.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #104
TishTash

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi
Do they have external drives? Do they have upgraded drives? Do they have tons and tons of pre-recorded programs on them?

(Mine do not, do not, and do not. Just trying to find something common)
I guess that could be the reason(s). The thing is, before the upgrade, there was no "please wait...." delay between summary pages. Afterwards, there is a delay between each key press: same TiVo, same hard drives, same contents--just different system software.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:57 AM   #105
TerpBE
Go Terps!

I have a wishlist that covers late night talk shows. Every week or so, I go to it, select the first one so I can see its description (i.e. upcoming guests), and hit channel down to scroll through all of the shows to determine if anybody worth recording is coming up.

Before 14.9.2.2, it would go from entry to entry with no problem. Now, each time I go down it gives me a "Please wait" clock for a second or two.

I assume this is the same issue described above.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:06 AM   #106
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
the placeholder of the 30/60/90/2:00 etc on the 30 second skip part of the screen is now off center and bleeding into the screen vs remaining in its proper place. i feel lopsided when i view it now
And I find the seemingly tiny bug really annoying.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:37 AM   #107
TishTash

Btw, another issue that I don't think has been mentioned: Before 14.9.2.2, manually recording a period of time labeled the recording the name of the program at the BEGINNING of the time period being recorded. When the confirmation is displayed, the show at the END of the time period is implied to be the label.

"Don't you believe it...." The recording does end up being labeled as the EARLIER recording, like it should, since the main reason for manual recording is to correct overflow programming (esp. sports).
Old 12-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #108
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
It's SDUI. I'm stuck there, because my wife and I use KidZone. You can't have HDUI and use either Parental Controls or KidZone.

Yes I am able to delete transferred MPEG4 videos as well as TiVo recordings transferred from TiVo Desktop.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:03 AM   #109
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

I've been reading this thread for a few days now trying to figure out what you guys were talking about with the changes to the 30sec "scan". I recently had some troubles with my premiere and had to restore from my stock drive. I now had this "scan". It's annoying so I remembered the "select-Play-Select-3-0-Select" code and boom I was back to instant 30 sec skips. Just FYI.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #110
whompus60

Quote:
Yes I am able to delete transferred MPEG4 videos as well as TiVo recordings transferred from TiVo Desktop.
I have always wondered why these videos become copy protected when they are transferred? I have noticed when I transfer videos taken with my camcorder to the tivo they become copy protected. Can not transfer them to another tivo nor back to the pc. Not really a problem just a wonderment, with them being mine and not protected in any other way.
whompus60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #111
aaronwt
HD Addict

Copy Protection? I've not seen any from the MPEG4 videos I've transferred. I can transfer them from TiVo Desktop to one of my Premieres, and then I can transfer it from that box to another Premiere.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #112
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Not new to 14.9.2, But I also have wondered why everything I upload to the Premiere using pyTivo is also copy protected and not transferable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #113
moyekj

TiVo Desktop auto transfers and pyTivo "pushes" all go through mind.tivo.com web server and any such transfers have always been copy protected. Since going through that server is the only way to get H.264 natively transferred to TiVos all mpeg4 videos on TiVos are currently copy protected. Transfers not going through the web server (pulls) always end up as mpeg2 on TiVos and transcoded to mpeg2 if necessary, and those are not marked copy protected.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #114
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whompus60 View Post
I have always wondered why these videos become copy protected when they are transferred? I have noticed when I transfer videos taken with my camcorder to the tivo they become copy protected. Can not transfer them to another tivo nor back to the pc. Not really a problem just a wonderment, with them being mine and not protected in any other way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Not new to 14.9.2, But I also have wondered why everything I upload to the Premiere using pyTivo is also copy protected and not transferable.
I wonder if TiVo implemented a new fail-safe?
''If the Premiere can't determine copy protection status on transferred programs/videos, it defaults to marking them as copy protected''
(e.g. the videos have missing or incorrect data in the CCI information field of the meta data).

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #115
soarng

I use thd SDUI and these are the changes I noticed thay may have already been mentioned:
  • Font size in program description seems a tad bigger. The full title of some of my wishlist items no longer displays.
  • Did notice the performance improvement in scrolling the guide. Very nice.
  • Also noticed the fourth FF to stop forwarding and "zoom/skip" when holding FF down is gone.
  • Rebooting is definitely faster. Yay!
  • Someone else mentioned they noticed the green check mark is gone in the display of shows that are set to record. Same here.
  • And the "Please Wait..." when scrolling down lists of shows while viewing "program description" is there. Super annoying.
  • Also, someone mentioned the lowest season pass default is now 10 episodes. Yup, I see that, too.

Here are two that I've not seen mentioned:
  • I have some wishlists set up to search for "host" name. This no longer works. Example: Host name is Jeff Probst. Setting the wishlist to Actor: Probst, Jeff would bring up all shows he was mentioned in, whether as host (ie. Survivor) or as a guest on a talk show. Now the wishlist only displays shows where he is specifically listed as "Actor" (not host) or is named in the program description. I've tested this several times and it happens with any show that has a "host" that is not in the Actor list or description.
  • Search no longer offers me the option to search by category. Tivo website (tivo.com/mytivo/howto/getthemostoutoftv/Searchbytitle.html) shows that SDUI allows this, but it is now gone. I have the option to "search by title", and it immediately goes into the alphabet grid instead of allowing me to select a category.

soarng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #116
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
TiVo Desktop auto transfers and pyTivo "pushes" all go through mind.tivo.com web server and any such transfers have always been copy protected. Since going through that server is the only way to get H.264 natively transferred to TiVos all mpeg4 videos on TiVos are currently copy protected. Transfers not going through the web server (pulls) always end up as mpeg2 on TiVos and transcoded to mpeg2 if necessary, and those are not marked copy protected.
Then that must be what is going on with mine. I did notice when the MPEG 4 videos get transferred from TiVo Desktop the transfer is slower since it was doing some processing. I guess it was transcoding them to MPEG2 then.

I though the S3/S4 boxes were capbale of playing Native MPEG4? If so why is it transcoded to MPEG2?
Old 12-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #117
moyekj

Quote:
I though the S3/S4 boxes were capbale of playing Native MPEG4? If so why is it transcoded to MPEG2?
HMO pulls have always been mpeg2 only even for S3/S4 series which can play back mp4 with H.264 video and AC3 or AAC audio. It's something TiVo has never updated. As I mentioned you can have S3/S4 series accept mp4 video by using TiVo Desktop auto transfers or pyTivo pushes, or using streambaby.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:29 AM   #118
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Then that must be what is going on with mine. I did notice when the MPEG 4 videos get transferred from TiVo Desktop the transfer is slower since it was doing some processing. I guess it was transcoding them to MPEG2 then.

I though the S3/S4 boxes were capable of playing Native MPEG4? If so why is it transcoded to MPEG2?
There is no one such thing as "native mpeg4". The Premiere can, indeed, play video that is encoded in h.264, but it has to be in the correct combination with: audio codec, audio bitrate, video bitrate, video resolution, and certain settings in the container (in this case, mpeg4). All the factors have to be right for the TiVo to play the video, native. Otherwise, it must be transcoded, and that is typically to an MPEG2 codec and container (with whatever audio, etc). PyTiVo, for example, knows which few things the Premiere can handle and will automatically transcode anything else.

It is disappointing that the Premiere doesn't handle more various types of data.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #119
Joe Siegler

Found another one. If you search by title, you used to be able to put in the number 0 and then scroll through everything that is in the entire listing, all the way through Z. I have OTA only, do that can be realistically done if one wants to.

Now, if you put in a search term, you cannot use that search as a start point for a scroll through the listings. Say, if you search for just the letter D, you can ONLY see stuff that starts with "D". Once you reach the end of the "D" listings, you can't scroll into "E".

Also, your search term is in yellow, and the rest is not. Used to be all letters were white.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #120
forum1
TiVo user since 2000

Quote:
1.2.6 Some people, including me, are having mysterious tuning adapter problems after the update, such as "Problem with the signal on this cable channel. Trying again." or "This channel is not authorized" on many, or most channels. Power cycling the tuning adapter seems to help, at least for a while. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=480253
I don't have a tuning adapter, just a CableCARD, and got the "Problem with the signal on this cable channel. Trying again." message on one of my two Premiere units. The other unit had no problems with the same channels. Changing channels on the confused Premiere did nothing and I finally told the unit to reboot. Then the channels tuned in just fine. So far I have only seen this issue the one time.