TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > Developers Corner
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #541
Squirl1899

Multiple Folders/Files on Multiple Hard Drives

I have 5 2TB drives attached via various connections (USB 2, USB 3, eSATA, Ethernet) and have different movies on all the different drives. I know that you can set vidmgr to pull by genre, actor, etc but I want to have it use multiple drives for a single share.

Example:
Movies
1) H:\WD 2TB ProBox\Movies
2) K:\Seagate 2TB ProBox\Movies
3) J:\WD 2TB USB\Movies

Animation
1) F:\Hitachi 2TB ProBox\Animation
2) K:\Iomega 2TB USB\Animation

I can't find a way to do it in pyTiVo or vidmgr, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Code:
[Server]
port = 9032
ffmpeg = C:\pyTiVo\bin\ffmpeg.exe
tivo_mak = xxxxxxxxxx
tdcat = C:\pyTiVo\bin\tdcat.exe
ffmpeg_wait = 10
tivo_password = xxxxxxxx
tivo_username = xxxxxxxxxxx
togo_path = K:\TiVo Recordings
tivodecode = C:\pyTiVo\bin\tivodecode.exe
temp_share = C:\pyTiVo\temp
togo_mpegts = True

[_tivo_SD]

[_tivo_HD]
bufsize = 4096k
optres = True

[Movies]
type = video
path = G:\Movies Seagate 2TB USB 3
force_alpha = True

[Animation]
type = video
path = F:\Animation
force_alpha = True

[TV Shows]
type = video
path = F:\TV Shows
force_alpha = True

[Animation - Low Res]
type = video
force_alpha = True
path = J:\Movies That Need Higher Resolution

[Childrens Shows]
type = video
path = H:\Childrens
force_alpha = True

[Movies WD 2TB USB]
path = J:\Movies WD 2TB USB
force_alpha = True
type = video

[Mini Series]
type = video
force_alpha = true
path = F:\Mini Series

[Cartoons]
path = H:\Cartoons
force_alpha = true
type = video

[National Geographic]
path = H:\National Geographic
type = video
force_alpha = True

[Movies NexStar]
path = L:\Movies Need Cover Art 11-26-11
force_alpha = True
type = video

[All Movies]
force_alpha = True
path = C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\All Movies
type = video

[All Movies Libary-ms]
force_alpha = True
path = C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\All Movies.library-ms
type = video
The last 2 entries were an atempt to add the folders to my windows library and just have pyTivo pull that but it didn't work either. Is this something that can be even be done in vidmgr or pyTiVo?
Squirl1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #542
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I have only a dim understanding of Windows Libraries, but I believe they only work through Windows-specific APIs (typical crappy half-assed Windows way of doing things), rather than presenting their contents as part of the filesystem (the Right Way, also known as the Unix Way). pyTivo only uses standard filesystem calls, so it won't see the Windows Libraries. Sorry. Tell Microsoft to fix their ****.

There is currently no support in pyTivo for combining multiple directories into a single share. But it's a feature others have requested. It might not be out of the question in the future. Meanwhile, I think the best you could do would be to create filesystem-level links (but not "shortcuts" -- they're another proprietary Windows thing) under a common directory.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 12-21-2011 at 01:15 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #543
Squirl1899

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I have only a dim understanding of Windows Libraries, but I believe they only work through Windows-specific APIs (typical crappy half-assed Windows way of doing things), rather than presenting their contents as part of the filesystem (the Right Way, also known as the Unix Way). pyTivo only uses standard filesystem calls, so it won't see the Windows Libraries. Sorry. Tell Microsoft to fix their ****.
I agree, pyTiVo can see the share but says there is nothing inside (thanks MS!) I was just trying to find a work around. I also tried symbolic links, hard links, junctions, shortcuts, etc but cannot get pyTiVo to see what is in the actual folders. I basically want this:

[Movies]
type = video
path = G:\Movies Seagate 2TB USB 3, J:\Movies WD 2TB USB, L:\Movies Need Cover Art 11-26-11, J:\Movies Need Cover Art
force_alpha = True

This way, all of the different drive contents would show up under a single folder instead of having to remember which movies I have on each drive. I know I can do it alphabetically but that becomes a pain if I run out of room and have to move movies from one drive to another. Not to mention when you start trying to find a movie that may or may not have "The" in the title. "The Polar Express" vs "Polar Express", etc.

Any suggestions?

But pyTiVo doesn't recognize (or it is a user error on my part) multiple path's for the same title [Movie].
Old 12-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #544
jcthorne

Look into a utility called junction link magic. Then create a single directory called MOVIES and put links under that folder for each of the drives. I did this for a while before moving on to a NAS. Which is really what you need to do. At 5 external drives, you really need to start thinking of an expandable NAS system and move all the drives into it.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #545
Squirl1899

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Look into a utility called junction link magic. Then create a single directory called MOVIES and put links under that folder for each of the drives. I did this for a while before moving on to a NAS. Which is really what you need to do. At 5 external drives, you really need to start thinking of an expandable NAS system and move all the drives into it.
TOO FUNNY! I actually just tried Junction Link Magic but it has the same drawback, I can only link a SINGLE folder/directory to another SINGLE folder/directory.

I had built my own NAS (FreeNAS) but had such a hassle with transfer rates, even though I had a gigabit card in the NAS and a WNDR3700 gigabit router. I also had issues with the SATA controller (tried 3 different types) and spent about 9 months working and tweaking it but it just became too frustrating. When I bought my new laptop with USB 3.0 I figured I would just start using that and bought a 4 bay ProBox USB 3.0 enclosure. I have three 2TB drives in their now but still have the issue of movies on diffferent drives.

If you have any other suggestions on building a NAS I am wide open.

Last edited by Squirl1899 : 12-21-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #546
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Let me ask you... if pyTivo were to have a feature that combined multiple directories into one share, would you want it to work like this (as seen from the TiVo):

Code:
[share]
 |
 +-[dir1]
 |    |
 | [file in dir1]
 |
 +-[dir2]
      |
   [file in dir2]
or like this:

Code:
[share]
 |
 +-[file in dir1]
 |
 +-[file in dir2]
?

Old 12-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #547
Squirl1899

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Let me ask you... if pyTivo were to have a feature that combined multiple directories into one share, would you want it to work like this (as seen from the TiVo):
The second one:

Code:
[share]
 |
 +-[file in dir1]
 |
 +-[file in dir2]
Basically

Code:
[Movies]
 - All movies in folder J:\WD 2TB USB\Movies
 - All movies in folder H:\Iomega 2TB USB\Movies
 - All movies in Folder K:\WD 2TB ProBox NAS\Movies

[Animation]
 - All movies in folder F:\Seagate 2TB ProBox NAS\Animation
 - All movies in folder G:\NexStar 1.5TB\Animation
Preferably all in alphabetical order even though they are in seperate folders. This way all movies or whatever will be listed in a single share, in alphabetical order. Right now I have about 11 shares that could be cut down to about 5. And I wouldn't have to remember which share had which movies in it. This would be the icing on the cake for pyTiVo, IMHO.

Hope I explained it well enough, if not, please let me know.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:16 PM   #548
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Yeah, I figured you'd say that. It's the more difficult way to implement it.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #549
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl1899 View Post
TOO FUNNY! I actually just tried Junction Link Magic but it has the same drawback, I can only link a SINGLE folder/directory to another SINGLE folder/directory.

I had built my own NAS (FreeNAS) but had such a hassle with transfer rates, even though I had a gigabit card in the NAS and a WNDR3700 gigabit router. I also had issues with the SATA controller (tried 3 different types) and spent about 9 months working and tweaking it but it just became too frustrating. When I bought my new laptop with USB 3.0 I figured I would just start using that and bought a 4 bay ProBox USB 3.0 enclosure. I have three 2TB drives in their now but still have the issue of movies on diffferent drives.

If you have any other suggestions on building a NAS I am wide open.
First on the junction links. Create a directory called MOVIES. Then create subdirectoies MOVIES\D1
MOVIES\D2 etc. in each sub, place a link to the root of one of the drives. Then map pytivo video share to MOVIES. Pytivo and vidmgr will see all the files for all subdirectories. Vidmgr can present them as a single list sorted by the way of your choosing.

On the NAS, I went to an expert and paid a small premium for thier expertise. Bought a Synology 1511 expandable NAS. Has terriffic network speed, a robust hybrid raid that allows mixing of drive sizes and online upgrades, rebuilds and expansions. Cost was not that much more than all the hardware to build one myself of similar caliber and the end result is well supported, works very well and is VERY power efficient as in actual drive power plus 26 watts and the drives spin down when not being used. Well thought out hardware platform, linux based and easily upgraded with user apps.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:46 PM   #550
lrhorer

Quote:
First on the junction links.
He needs a RAID solution.

Quote:
On the NAS, I went to an expert and paid a small premium for thier expertise. Bought a Synology 1511 expandable NAS. Has terriffic network speed
Actually, it's more like "fair" network speeds. More than plenty for a handful of videos, though.

Quote:
Cost was not that much more than all the hardware to build one myself of similar caliber
Actually, it's a bit pricey per spindle. The big thing, however, is it only has 5 drive slots and can only expand to 15. Of course, this may very well be enough for Squirl1899, and if so it will cost less than a larger chassis, which (if the Synology will suit him) he does not need. The power consumption is quite good. As mentioned in the other, similar thread, this may be a good fit for him. As with that thread, however, I caution the user that this system may not be sufficient for his ultimate needs. I'm not saying this is the case, but he should consider carefully what his long term needs are likely to be.

Last edited by lrhorer : 12-24-2011 at 11:03 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:08 AM   #551
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Actually, it's more like "fair" network speeds. More than plenty for a handful of videos, though.
With its dual Gigabit ports and a proper router, I have no trouble with 4 high capacity connections (2 in going and 2 outgoing) on 4 computers each reaching over 80 MB/sec. Thats about as fast as the technology will allow. And I am not really sure if its the limits of the server or of the computers connected to it as each is no faster when the other is not moving data. IE the limits seem to be on the bandwidth at the users, not the NAS. The 1511with 4 drives or more consistantly tests as one of the fastest ready to run NAS solutions on the market under $10k.

Quote:
Actually, it's a bit pricey per spindle.

I looked at the hardware to build a 5 spindle, expandable, hot swappable array myself. It was pertty near $1000 with dual GB networking and high efficiency power supplies, mother board, memory, ultra quiet temp controlled fans etc. Best I can figure, the Synology box ran me about a $200 premium at 10 spindles and $300 when I upgrade to 15.

There are larger Synology solutions, up to 30 spindles per server even with dual redundant power, but I looked at the likelyhood of my needed more than 40TB before 4TB drives were mainstream. Was not likely in my case. Also its a pretty rare application where more than 40TB in a SINGLE array is good idea anyway. Likely well beyond what a NAS like the 1511 is intended to support. IE large home or small office environment.

As you suggest, the OP will need to determine his long term needs before investing in ANY solution. Be it ready built or home built. Both are correct answers depending on the need.

I recognize the fact that I paid a premium for the technology but though I got good value for the money in research, design, support and the Synology Hybrid Raid tech that is not available in DIY solutions. Made sense for ME. Does not make sense for you. No wrong answer, just different. The OP needs to figure out what HE needs.

OH, and a MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

Old 12-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #552
lrhorer

Quote:
With its dual Gigabit ports and a proper router, I have no trouble with 4 high capacity connections (2 in going and 2 outgoing) on 4 computers each reaching over 80 MB/sec.
A lot of the folks over on the mdadm mailing list would call that "extremely poor". Of course, a lot of them are admins of enterprise systems with multiple 10Gbps Ethernet connections to the units. Even my little $150 motherboard and dual core processor can handle 400 MB/sec, though. Of course the speed of a RAID array goes up more or less proportionally to the number of drives.

Quote:
Thats about as fast as the technology will allow.
No, not at all. That said, the published spec for the Synology is just under 200 MB/sec, which is pretty decent for a pair of 1G connections. To go very much faster, one would need a faster network. One could go with additional Gig-E ports or a 10G Ethernet port, or a technology other than Ethernet, such as Fiberchannel, for example. None of these solutions are available on the Synology, but OTOH, most home users are not going to consider such delivery systems. The Synology's reported performance is decent, and quite more than adequate for deployment in a home environment.

Quote:
And I am not really sure if its the limits of the server or of the computers connected to it as each is no faster when the other is not moving data. IE the limits seem to be on the bandwidth at the users, not the NAS.
Yes, with an absolute limit imposed by the network connections. The host capabilities also make a big difference, of course. Using TTG or GoBack, an S3 TiVo is limited to about 2MB/sec or so. While transcoding, most of my workstations running Windows / VideoRedo can't manage more than about 10 MB/sec average. OTOH, my backup server runs flat out at over 110 MB/sec on large files when it does its rsync at 04:00 every morning.

Quote:
The 1511with 4 drives or more consistantly tests as one of the fastest ready to run NAS solutions on the market under $10k.
That may well be true.

Quote:
I looked at the hardware to build a 5 spindle, expandable, hot swappable array myself. It was pertty near $1000 with dual GB networking and high efficiency power supplies, mother board, memory, ultra quiet temp controlled fans etc.
It's certainly possible to spend that and much more. Knock off the premium features, though, and the cost drops. One can go with a single Gig port on the motherboard and forget about the ultra-quiet fans, etc.
My systems do a fair imitation of a B-17 taking off. The motherboard, CPU, case, and 4 port eSATA controller for my backup system all put together cost less than $375 new. Had I shopped for used, I could have shaved some off that. The case itself holds 8 drives, although only 5 of those could be hot-swappable (accessible from the front). For a time I ran this system without the eSATA controller and had all the drives sitting in the system. As soon as I could afford it, I did buy a 20 drive RAID chassis for $1300, and moved the drives to the external chassis. The chassis (along with a 12 drive chassis purchased earlier) supports both the primary and backup systems.

Quote:
Best I can figure, the Synology box ran me about a $200 premium at 10 spindles and $300 when I upgrade to 15.
You lost me, there. The cost per spindle should go down with increasing numbers of spindles.

Quote:
There are larger Synology solutions, up to 30 spindles per server even with dual redundant power, but I looked at the likelyhood of my needed more than 40TB before 4TB drives were mainstream. Was not likely in my case.
Again, the user needs to make that assessment. The answer determines what will best suit the application.

Quote:
Also its a pretty rare application where more than 40TB in a SINGLE array is good idea anyway.
Oh, not even. Beyond 6 drives (8 at the most), something more than RAID5 is definitely indicated. RAID6 is very good up to perhaps 16 drives, or 24 with triple parity. At 24 drives or more RAID10 definitely starts looking more appropriate, although it can be appropriate with much smaller drive numbers. RAID60 gets to be a reasonable option, or RAID1 + 5 in those areas, as well. At some point, an iSCSI solution under RAID10 or 2 x RAID1 should be a consideration. For ordinary availability, one parity drive for every 5 - 7 data drives is generally sufficient. For high availability, 1 mirror for each data drive is usually sufficient. For virtual invulnerability, 2 or more geographically diverse mirrors for each data drive are required.

Quote:
As you suggest, the OP will need to determine his long term needs before investing in ANY solution. Be it ready built or home built. Both are correct answers depending on the need.
Exactly. The time required to configure should not be a consideration of any great significance. First of all, it's going to take more or less the same amount of time no matter what the solution, and the configuration time is not relevant over the long term. Maintenance and expandability options are the biggest concern.

Quote:
Made sense for ME. Does not make sense for you. No wrong answer, just different.
Even that may be an overstatement. Any decent solution makes sense. It's more a question of what is best for one's needs in the long run. No reasonable solution will be a mistake, per se. It's a matter of which one fits his budget yet won't leave him high and dry two years down the line. I started out with a server whose maximum capability was four 160G drives in a RAID0 + 1 configuration. I thought going with the less expensive solution would save me some money. It did not.

Quote:
The OP needs to figure out what HE needs.
Why does that sound familiar?

Quote:
OH, and a MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!
Merry Christmas, all.

Last edited by lrhorer : 12-25-2011 at 11:52 AM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #553
cweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
Also, if you prebuild the cache, and then delete a video through the tivo interface or rebuild the cache via the remote control, it will save the cache on exit.
I have a question about the delete behavior. When you say the cache is saved on exit, is that when I exit vidmgr by doing a ctrl-c from the terminal or when I exit vidmgr from the tivo (e.g. to watch the show that I am now transferring)?

I am running 2.0i on my mac and am pre building the cache prior to starting hmepye & vidmgr on my computer. At that point when I enter vidmgr I can delete a show as expected. However, if I send a show to my tivo, leave vidmgr on my tivo to watch the show, then re-enter vidmgr to delete the show...the delete no longer works (get the boing) unless I rebuild the cache again (three thumbs down). Since nothing has changed on my computer (I only sent a show) shouldn't the cache still be valid and I should be able to delete the show?

Also, as previous mentioned, rebuilding the cache via three thumbs down get delete working again. However, rebuilding the cache via BuildCache.py while hem-pye and vidmgr are still running does not re-enable one to delete a file from the tivo. Is this expected behavior?

Thanks in advance.
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #554
jbernardis

The cache is only read in when the app first loads - that is when you choose it from the menu with the remote control. So, yes, the scenario you describe in the last paragraph is normal.

The other situation, though, sounds like it could be a bug, although it hasn't been reported before. If I understand you, you push a video, and then exit the app to watch it without first deleting it. When you go back into the app to delete it, you get the error sound? That's what I read from your description, but I just tried this exact scenario and it worked fine for me. But maybe i'm misunderstanding what you are doing.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #555
cweb

Quote:
The cache is only read in when the app first loads - that is when you choose it from the menu with the remote control. So, yes, the scenario you describe in the last paragraph is normal.
I just triple-checked my observations and everything is as I described.

Vidmgr does NOT appear to be reading the cache when you choose it from the menu via remote control. If I enter the app (via remote) get the "clear boing", exit the app (via tivo remote, still running on computer), then run BuildCache.py (cache should now be up-to-date, right?) and re-enter the app (via tivo remote) I will continue to get the "clear boing". The only way to actually get the delete to work is to a) do a three thumbs down update or b) totally exit Vidmgr and Hme-Pye (via ctrl-c on my computer) run BuildCache.py and the restart Vidmgr and Hme-Pye.

Quote:
The other situation, though, sounds like it could be a bug, although it hasn't been reported before. If I understand you, you push a video, and then exit the app to watch it without first deleting it. When you go back into the app to delete it, you get the error sound? That's what I read from your description, but I just tried this exact scenario and it worked fine for me. But maybe i'm misunderstanding what you are doing.
Your understanding of my ramblings is correct and more concise.

My guess this has to do with the above situation. Perhaps the cache somehow become invalid (or Vidmgr thinks it is) when one exits the app (via tivo remote).
Old 01-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #556
jbernardis

Can you capture the output from pyhme from when you enter vidmgr? It should tell you if it has any difficulty loading the cache. The easiest way might be to run pyhme in the foreground while you are trying this out.

BTW - loading the cache when the app activates is unconditional. Nothing is retained from one execution to the next. If it didn't load the cache, it would have nothing to present. The other thing is that if it has trouble loading the cache, it rebuilds it which should actually result in correct behavior. So there is something else here that I don't understand yet.

BTW - according to the logic, the only things that should cause a boing sound when you press clear is if 1) this is a DVD Video, 2) you have multiple references to the same physical file, or 3) you have deleteallowed turned off in your options. If it passed all of these tests, it deletes the file(s) and it doesn't even care if the delete is successful or not.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #557
cweb

Quote:
Can you capture the output from pyhme from when you enter vidmgr? It should tell you if it has any difficulty loading the cache. The easiest way might be to run pyhme in the foreground while you are trying this out.
I have attached a log file. I hope this is the info you were seeking.

This is what the log should have captured:
1) Started hme-pye & Vidmgr on computer.
2) Entered Vidmgr on Tivo (via remote).
3) Tried to delete show via clear and got boing
4) Rebuilt cache via three thumbs down.
5) Tried to delete show, this time got delete confirmation.
6) Cancelled delete as I wanted to download show.
7) Sent show via Vidmgr.
8) Exited Vidmgr app on tivo (via remote) and waited for show download to complete.
9) Re-entered Vidmgr (via remote)
10) tried to delete show (via remote), got boing error.
11) Rebuilt cache via three thumbs down.
12) Tried to delete show, this time got delete confirmation.
13) Confirmed with thumbs up, show deleted.
14) Exited Vidmgr app on tivo (via remote).

Hope I was concise without to much extra info.
Attached Files
File Type: txt VidmgrOutput.txt (2.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 01-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #558
jbernardis

The log file showed nothing out of the ordinary. The delete failed messages at the end mean nothing - you can ignore them. I have no explanation for the behavior you are seeing. The software works just fine for me, and I have had no similar reports from anyone else.

That's not to say there isn't a bug - there might still be. We just haven't isolated the exact conditions that bring it to surface.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #559
cweb

Anything else I can run that might give you more insight?
Old 01-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #560
jbernardis

What is your setting for delete allowed? This is an option in vidmgr.ini but it can also be set locally in each directory.

The ONLY thing I can think of right now is that this is set to false, but dynamically building the cache (thumbs up three times) has a bug and the flag gets reset to true. I'm not saying this is the case; right now it's just a guess.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #561
jbernardis

cweb

I found your problem. It's difficult to explain, but I know what's happening - it's a nasty bug. I have to figure out the best way to correct this - it's not so straight-forward. Give me a bit, but I will get a fix out as soon as I can.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #562
jbernardis

As I mentioned above, I located cweb's issue today and have just posted a fix. This was actually two bugs that "worked" together to create the issue cweb reported.

The fixed version (2.1) has been posted on github. Here is the text from the changelog:

Version 2.1 - 2/4/2012
- fixed major bug found by cweb. There were actually 2 bugs.
1) The cache was being built incorrectly - references by virtual shares were not being properly accounted for. This problem
would actually solve itself if the cache was written to disk and then read back, but if the cache was built dynamically,
this "correction" did not happen. As a result, files could be deleted even though there were multiple references, which
brings us to the second bug:
2) The logic to see if a file was deletable was wrong. I was attempting to prevent deletion of a file that had multiple
links (logical or physical) just to keep things simple for myself. Instead I prevented deletion if there were multiple references.
Since virtual shares create additional references to the same file, this virtually precluded deleting most files. The logic was
fixed to be based on whether or not there are multiple file system links.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #563
cweb

Thumbs up! v2.1 seems to have fixed the issue.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #564
Ubipa

I'm looking for some help on setting up the video manager. HME is running fine, but video manager keeps bailing on an exception. It states No Tivos found and exits with the following traceback:

File "/root/pyHME/vidmgr/__init__.py", line 302, in handle_active
self.addShareIcons()
File "/root/pyHME/vidmgr/__init__.py", line 1339, in addShareIcons
for share in self.share:

Here's my HME config:

Code:
[hmeserver]
apps=vidmgr

[vidmgr]
exts=.mp4
descsize=16

[tivos]
tivo1.name=MediaCtrP
tivo1.tsn=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[pytivos]
pytivo1.config=/root/pyTivo/pyTivo.conf
pytivo1.ip=10.0.1.15
pytivo1.port=9032
pytivo1.sep=/
And here's my pyTivo Config:
Code:
[Flicks]
force_alpha = True
type = video
path = /media/Movies

[_tivo_SD]

[_tivo_HD]

[Server]
tivo_password = xxxxxx
tivo_mak = xxxxxxx
ffmpeg = /usr/bin/ffmpeg
togo_path = Videos
tivo_username = xxxxxxxx
port = 9032

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Ubipa : 02-12-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Ubipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #565
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubipa View Post
I'm looking for some help on setting up the video manager. HME is running fine, but video manager keeps bailing on an exception. It states No Tivos found and exits with the following traceback:
I assume you're running version 1.0 from the content of your ini file. It's important to provide as much information as you can.

The error message that it can't find any tivos indicates that it can't find the [tivos] section of your ini file, or if it can find the section, that it cannot find any entries of the form tivox.name=xxx and tivox.tsn=xxx.

From the files you include in your posting, I see that you look to be configured correctly. I guess the next question is what is your execution directory? You need to be IN the pyhme directory when you invoke python. It is not enough to invoke python with the full path of the start.py file.

Could this be what's happening, because otherwise I can see nothing wrong with what you are doing.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #566
jeepguy_1980
Unregistered User

I am trying to create a virtual share by year, that will sort movies by year, with the newest on top, but in alphabetical order. Is this possible?

So far I have tried this, which put the newest years on top, but the movies were in reverse alphabetical order.
Code:
[Movies By Year]
tags= movieYear
sortdirection=down

I have also tried this, which only added one more folder of years.
Code:
[Movies By Year]
tags= movieYear
groupby=movieYear

TiVo Mini

jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #567
jbernardis

I think what you want to do is say the following:
Code:
[Movies By Year]
tags=movieYear
sort=title
This will give you groupings my year and each year sorted by title. I think you want to leave the sort direction to default to up so that you get the names in forward alphabetical order.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #568
jeepguy_1980
Unregistered User

Quote:
I think what you want to do is say the following:
Code:
[Movies By Year]
tags=movieYear
sort=title
This will give you groupings my year and each year sorted by title. I think you want to leave the sort direction to default to up so that you get the names in forward alphabetical order.

That isn't quite what I was going for. I am trying to achieve something like this:
Code:
     a
     b
     c
     a
     b
     c
     a
     b
     c

TiVo Mini

jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:43 PM   #569
jbernardis

Sorry - I didn't understand what you were going for. As it stands right now, the grouping item, in this case the year, can only be sorted in an ascending order. If you want, I could probably come up with a scheme to allow reverse sorting. Seems to me it would make sense in this instance.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:52 AM   #570
jbernardis

I have posted version 2.1a on github with the feature jeepguy has requested. This seemed to me to be a desirable feature and it turned out that it was rather trivial to implement.

Now you can say something like:
Code:
[Movies by year]
tags=movieYear
tagorder=down
sort=title
and the tags (in this case the years) will sort backwards so that the most current videos will be first. Within each year, your normal sort order will be maintained. In the example I could have said sortdirection=up, but this is the normal default. If I had set sortdirection=down in the main configuration section of the file, the downward sorting would still apply here too.

Thus you can control sorting of your "structure" independently of your content.

EDIT: I forgot to post this last night so hopefully nobody was caught. You will need to rebuild your cache before running this or else you might get a dictionary key exception.

Last edited by jbernardis : 02-19-2012 at 09:14 AM.