TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-21-2011, 03:46 AM   #3661
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
T2Sami does not "separate" captions, it simply extracts them to a new file. The video file still contains the captions. VRD preserves the captions so no problem to run VRD before extracting captions.
I guess the point I was trying to make is this. What do you do with the "Captions File" once you have it?

Thanks.
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:20 AM   #3662
Scarpad

got this setup last night for my new premiere and it worked fairly well on my Imac. What's the trick to getting better commercial removal? can some power users give me some suggestions?
Old 12-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #3663
cweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You upgraded from 8m to 8k? Isn't that downgrading?
Opps .... Fot my to and forms backwards. Restarting kmttg and the tivos didn't help the problem. However, I rebooted both computers and the problems went away. They must have been in some weird state. Strange that it happened on both at the same time. Oh well....life is happy again.

Thanks for the thoughts and teases.
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #3664
bzed

Encoding Profiles for Mp4

Hello,

I was hoping someone could recommend/share an ecoding profile that they use to encode succesfully to mp4. I have used both of the kmttg provided mp4 profiles as well as Video redo's default mp4 profile buy I have found the resulting mp4 files to have some pixelation that I would like to avoid. I am starting with mpg files produced by kmttg with the commercials edited. I am looking to reduce the hard drive space for my collection of shows.

Thanks,

Bill
bzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #3665
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweb View Post
Opps .... Fot my to and forms backwards. Restarting kmttg and the tivos didn't help the problem. However, I rebooted both computers and the problems went away. They must have been in some weird state. Strange that it happened on both at the same time. Oh well....life is happy again.

Thanks for the thoughts and teases.
If what ThAbtO quoted was what you originally wrote, you had it correct.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #3666
joel9

I seem to be having a comskip problem, whereby it stops in the middle with exit code 139 and fails to write the xcl output file for ProjectX. While the log does show a couple of audio errors, it seems to just skip the bad input frame and keep going. There's no error shown before it dies (at 24%, in one case).

I'm a new kmttg user, running on Mac Lion and transferring from a Series 3. Last week I started copying a series being run daily and got the first half dozen episodes without error (although a couple of times the transfer stalled and had to be restarted). Now I've had two episodes in a row that have failed the same way.

First of all, anyone know what error 139 means? Also, this version of com comskip seems pretty old compared to what I'm seeing out there for Windows. Should I care?
joel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #3667
darjay

First time user with KMTTG need some help please

I got java installed, install the JAR file and the program starts. Do I just have to enter the IP and name of my Tivos and then I'll be ready to go? Or are there other settings I need? Sorry, if this is basic, but I have been searching and can't find exactly what i'm looking for or I dont understand what I'm finding.

Thanks in advance.
Darlene
darjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:39 AM   #3668
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjay View Post
I got java installed, install the JAR file and the program starts. Do I just have to enter the IP and name of my Tivos and then I'll be ready to go? Or are there other settings I need? Sorry, if this is basic, but I have been searching and can't find exactly what i'm looking for or I dont understand what I'm finding.

Thanks in advance.
Darlene
For a proper network it should auto-detect your TiVos with Bonjour or TiVo Beacon, but you can enter IP & name manually if it does not. Beyond that it depends what you want to do. There are many config options but most have tooltips describing what they mean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #3669
joel9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel9 View Post
I seem to be having a comskip problem, whereby it stops in the middle with exit code 139 and fails to write the xcl output file for ProjectX. While the log does show a couple of audio errors, it seems to just skip the bad input frame and keep going. There's no error shown before it dies (at 24%, in one case).

I'm a new kmttg user, running on Mac Lion and transferring from a Series 3. Last week I started copying a series being run daily and got the first half dozen episodes without error (although a couple of times the transfer stalled and had to be restarted). Now I've had two episodes in a row that have failed the same way.

First of all, anyone know what error 139 means? Also, this version of com comskip seems pretty old compared to what I'm seeing out there for Windows. Should I care?
Is this the right place to report my problem or should it go into some comskip thread?
Old 12-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #3670
moyekj

Quote:

Without any error messages it's hard to debug further. What you may want to try is starting with the .mpg file from FILES tab simply enable "QS Fix" task with no other task enabled. This will run ProjectX demux followed by ffmpeg mux on it and produce a new .mpg. Then from that resulting .mpg proceed with "Ad Detect" and "Ad Cut" tasks to see if comskip is able to process the .mpg. i.e. The idea is to clean up glitches in the .mpg file before comskip processes it.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #3671
joel9

Quote:
Without any error messages it's hard to debug further. What you may want to try is starting with the .mpg file from FILES tab simply enable "QS Fix" task with no other task enabled. This will run ProjectX demux followed by ffmpeg mux on it and produce a new .mpg. Then from that resulting .mpg proceed with "Ad Detect" and "Ad Cut" tasks to see if comskip is able to process the .mpg. i.e. The idea is to clean up glitches in the .mpg file before comskip processes it.
Great suggestion! That worked fine.

Seems like it would be worth always doing this before the comskip step, but it seems to come after the Ad Cut step. Is there any way to change the standard work flow when doing a full download process? I suppose you'd want it to run both times, right?
Old 12-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #3672
darjay

Quote:
For a proper network it should auto-detect your TiVos with Bonjour or TiVo Beacon, but you can enter IP & name manually if it does not. Beyond that it depends what you want to do. There are many config options but most have tooltips describing what they mean.
Thanks for the quick reply. I played around with it last night and got it to work. VERY Cool, thanks for sharing.
darjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #3673
Hercules67
TiVo addict

How are people utilizing the T2Sami extracted files here?

I need some guidance.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #3674
moyekj

Quote:
Great suggestion! That worked fine.

Seems like it would be worth always doing this before the comskip step, but it seems to come after the Ad Cut step. Is there any way to change the standard work flow when doing a full download process? I suppose you'd want it to run both times, right?
Yes, currently if you are using ProjectX and enable "QS Fix" in addition to "Ad Cut" the QS Fix step is actually intentionally skipped since ProjectX is used for "Ad Cut" step. Sounds like it may be better to not skip QS Fix step after all since looks like comskip can benefit from ProjectX cleanup. I'll make that change for next release.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #3675
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules67 View Post
I guess the point I was trying to make is this. What do you do with the "Captions File" once you have it?

Thanks.
The only thing I've used it for in the past is for getting captions when using "streambaby". I think there are some media players and/or editors that can use it as well, but don't have details on that.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:53 PM   #3676
joel9

Quote:
Yes, currently if you are using ProjectX and enable "QS Fix" in addition to "Ad Cut" the QS Fix step is actually intentionally skipped since ProjectX is used for "Ad Cut" step. Sounds like it may be better to not skip QS Fix step after all since looks like comskip can benefit from ProjectX cleanup. I'll make that change for next release.
Excellent customer service, too!
Old 12-23-2011, 01:32 AM   #3677
sanjonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzed View Post
Hello,

I was hoping someone could recommend/share an ecoding profile that they use to encode succesfully to mp4. I have used both of the kmttg provided mp4 profiles as well as Video redo's default mp4 profile buy I have found the resulting mp4 files to have some pixelation that I would like to avoid. I am starting with mpg files produced by kmttg with the commercials edited. I am looking to reduce the hard drive space for my collection of shows.

Thanks,

Bill
If you scroll back in this thread a few pages, there is some pretty in depth discussion about that. There are recommended tools suggested also. The quick and dirty I suggested is instead of mp4, use avi/xvid because encoding is faster and space savings are minimal compared to mp4, there is some good discussion on the other formats, mkv, mp4, avi and 264 encoding.
sanjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:39 AM   #3678
sanjonny

Quote:
How are people utilizing the T2Sami extracted files here?

I need some guidance.
Herc, what are you trying to do? have the output files have subtitles in them or transport them to something else or what. There are several encoders that will retain the subtitles from mpg (handbrake or video.net if you are going the 264 route) in the new format. Is there some other reason you are stripping them out from the mpg?
Old 12-23-2011, 01:44 AM   #3679
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
Herc, what are you trying to do? have the output files have subtitles in them or transport them to something else or what. There are several encoders that will retain the subtitles from mpg (handbrake or video.net if you are going the 264 route) in the new format. Is there some other reason you are stripping them out from the mpg?
Is that what I am doing by running T2Sami? I don't want to strip them per say?

I want the final product to have subtitles, if I want to. Can I?

Sometimes, a show is hard to understand, and I like to turn subtitles on. How do I accomplish this?
Old 12-23-2011, 01:46 AM   #3680
sanjonny

Something kinda strange on the delete front. I have been testing this recently and seem to have noticed something that is reproducable, but not knowing why it happens. So here it is. The delete still works fine for the premiere unit.
On the hacked (TWP able HD) unit, delete seems to work okay for awhile, but in a weird way. So when you first enable delete (which will not work until you enable twp style delete) and then do not close the session and use the delete key on the TWP HD unit, delete seems to work fine. But later on, when you close down and restart kmttg, after a few deletes (haven't worked out the exact number yet) it seems to cause the tivo to get a bit hincky and basically either lock up or weird things to happen. This is usually solved by rebooting the tivo, but it is repeatable. I don't know other than the TWP box being in the top of the selectable items what is different about the delete that is changed immediately in the configuration vs. in it reloading kmttg, but it seems I can delete many files before restarting without a problem, restarting with the new config and after a few, things lock up or get screwy (like not showing the tuner channels or something.

Anything you want me to try or log, I would be glad to, or any more info I can provide.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:50 AM   #3681
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by bzed
Hello,

Thanks,

Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
If you scroll back in this thread a few pages, there is some pretty in depth discussion about that. There are recommended tools suggested also. The quick and dirty I suggested is instead of mp4, use avi/xvid because encoding is faster and space savings are minimal compared to mp4, there is some good discussion on the other formats, mkv, mp4, avi and 264 encoding.

Adding my 2 cents worth to what sanjonny said, I have been utilizing xvid AVI files and I have been very satisfied with the resultant files. I also utilize De-interlacing which further removes any pixelation.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #3682
joel9

I'm finding kmttg really nice, but do have one suggestion for the wish list. Recovery from download problems should be more automatic. Sometimes my downloads get stalled, which is no doubt because of my Tivo's wireless connection, but the process just hangs forever. After a restart, it doesn't recognize that it downloaded only part of the file, so it either skips it or starts from the beginning again, depending upon settings.

First of all, there ought to be a setting to tell it to time out at some point instead of just hanging. It should either delete the partial file or, if it's possible to start a download in the middle (not sure if it is with the Tivo interface), appropriately mark it. Ideally it would be able to retry from either a timeout or a process restart (from a reboot or other unexpected process kill).

You'd then be able to really run it unattended without having to check constantly to see what it's doing. Better yet, if it hits some unrecoverable kind of error or hits a retry limit, then the background process should have a way of signaling that it needs attention. Right now the only good option seems to be to just run it in loop-in-the-gui mode and look at the window from time to time.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #3683
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Tivo does not have the feature of pause and resume. If it stops, you have to start over.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #3684
joel9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Tivo does not have the feature of pause and resume. If it stops, you have to start over.
Okay, so kmttg needs to delete the Tivo file or otherwise recognize that it's incomplete so that it knows to start the download from scratch when it fails.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #3685
moyekj

Quote:
Okay, so kmttg needs to delete the Tivo file or otherwise recognize that it's incomplete so that it knows to start the download from scratch when it fails.
There's a config setting for that: Configure-File Settings-Overwrite existing files
As far as downloads hanging up of course that's not normal and some network issue, but you may want to try Java Downloads (Configure-Program Options-Use Java for downloads) instead of curl since it has a 2 minute read timeout associated with it.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #3686
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
There's a config setting for that: Configure-File Settings-Overwrite existing files
As far as downloads hanging up of course that's not normal and some network issue, but you may want to try Java Downloads (Configure-Program Options-Use Java for downloads) instead of curl since it has a 2 minute read timeout associated with it.
Anybody using that? Does it work better than Curl? Mine hangs-up too, and I suspect because of the same reason...Wireless network issues.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #3687
moyekj

Quote:
Anybody using that? Does it work better than Curl? Mine hangs-up too, and I suspect because of the same reason...Wireless network issues.
Some people had trouble with Curl for whatever reason in past which is why alternate download method exists, so yes some people use it. I never have trouble with Curl myself so I wouldn't say "better", just an alternative method.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #3688
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Some people had trouble with Curl for whatever reason in past which is why alternate download method exists, so yes some people use it. I never have trouble with Curl myself so I wouldn't say "better", just an alternative method.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot, and see how I do with it.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #3689
joel9

Quote:
Thanks for letting me know about the timeout. I'll give it a try next time I'm having a problem and report the results.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:38 AM   #3690
krar4

Correct encoding format for Kindle Fire video?

I just uploaded a TV show from my kmttg output files into my new Kindle Fire that were in .mp4 format, and my kindle Fire couldn't locate it. Since the Fire only reads .mp4 format, which encoding format do I need to use so I can play video that is outputted from KMTTG on my Kindle Fire.

Thanks in advance!

Rick
krar4 is offline   Reply With Quote