TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #1411
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgranny View Post
I have tried to stay loyal to TiVo for 8+years. I moved 5 years ago. I have no antenna service. I have no Cable service. I have 3 TiVos unusable except for Tivo games and podcast, streaming, etc. I am stuck with Direct TV. I am stuck with promises that a DTV-TiVo HD unit will be out "next year". I am beginning to lose faith. Being without TiVo TV programming for 5 years has about weaned me off the desire to return. The only winner in all this is DTV and TiVo. Both are getting money from me and neither seem interested in providing me with DTV-TiVo HD service. It is time for me to set a deadline of my own and move on. Perhaps by June 1st. If nothing then, I need to get over my grieving and find a way to enjoy HD program capture on my home networked computers.
Set your deadline a couple months later and I think you'll be happy. Latest rumors are that the new HD DirecTivo should appear this summer.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #1412
Rainy Dave
Regulated User

What is "TiVo TV programming"?
Rainy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #1413
Stoystown

Count me in

I have DirecTv. Until about 6 months ago, I had a DirecTv SD Tivo. Then it died, and they sent out a new direcTv SD dvr.

It's ok.

My in-laws have an DirecTv HD dvr.

It's ok too.

The day I can get an HD Tivo on DirecTV, I will order it. I would pay the box fee, plus $5 a month for the Tivo software, above the DVR fee. No question. I have been waiting to do so for more than a year.

If I could get baseball games and ESPN over the air, I would get a stand alone Tivo with lifetime and cancel my DirecTv. But I can't. I pay my DirecTv bill every month for the sports programming. I get a bunch of shopping channels, a few movie channels (the free ones) and HGTV tossed in on top. I know that's not what the contract says, but that's how I perceive it.
Stoystown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #1414
Rcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
Set your deadline a couple months later and I think you'll be happy. Latest rumors are that the new HD DirecTivo should appear this summer.
Hey Dog! 3 months later, any rumor updates? I'm happily sitting here 10 years with my SD TiVos, but planning the switch to HD. Had occasion to actually talk to DirecTV this morning, and they offered me free HD hardward, but of course not TiVoHD.

Sometime between now and 12 month I will have a new HD TV ready for inputs of some kind! Still hope it will be TiVo software.

TIA for any updates you know of.
Rcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #1415
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Nothing good. Looks like it's still a few months away. Crazy, huh?
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
Old 07-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #1416
bajabingo

wow this thread is old
bajabingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #1417
bukzin

OK, today is Dec 4th.

Any new thoughts on Tivo programming?
bukzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #1418
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
OK, today is Dec 4th.

Any new thoughts on Tivo programming?
Rumors are that the new DirecTV/Tivo will be released this month.
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
Old 12-05-2011, 07:33 AM   #1419
bukzin

Is that the HR-34 that I heard about?

Any details?
Old 12-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #1420
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
No, it is not the HR34.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #1421
bukzin

Could you give us more detail?

features, model number, when we can buy/rent it?

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #1422
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Nobody knows yet. When (if) it makes its appearance I am sure you will read about it here.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #1423
Rainy Dave
Regulated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
Could you give us more detail?

features, model number, when we can buy/rent it?

Thanks!
THR22. You currently can't get it. Should be available from DirecTv, Solidsignal.com when it is released.
Rainy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #1424
vader88

I just got off the phone with DirecTv complaining about my HR21 and it's slowness. Was asking about getting a HR24 and while talking I asked about the Tivo. She looked it up and said it launches Dec 8, 2011. The price is 199.00 and if I renew my contract it would be 99.00. The Tivo service is 5.00 additional, I don't know if this is in addition to the DVR charge we already paid. I'm supposed to call back and get the deal, but not sure which way I'm going to go yet, I do miss my Tivo though.
vader88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:52 AM   #1425
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader88 View Post
I just got off the phone with DirecTv complaining about my HR21 and it's slowness. Was asking about getting a HR24 and while talking I asked about the Tivo. She looked it up and said it launches Dec 8, 2011. The price is 199.00 and if I renew my contract it would be 99.00. The Tivo service is 5.00 additional, I don't know if this is in addition to the DVR charge we already paid. I'm supposed to call back and get the deal, but not sure which way I'm going to go yet, I do miss my Tivo though.
Yes, the extra $5/mo is a Tivo fee that's in addition to your current DVR fee.
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
Old 12-06-2011, 05:42 AM   #1426
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/...ostID=10979789
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:03 AM   #1427
feldon23
MythBuster

Backup of the original FAQ:

Spoiler:

CableLabs/OTA HD TiVo -- Fall 2006 release

At the CES 2006 show, TiVo announced a standalone HD TiVo prototype with two CableCard tuners and Over-the-Air (OTA 8VSB) ATSC tuners. The unit was capable of receiving, recording, and performing all TiVo functions on local analog Cable and digital Cable and digital HDTV Cable broadcasts as well as digital HDTV over-the-air broadcasts. More information on this Series 3 TiVo, which will be released in mid-to-late 2006, will be made available in a companion FAQ.

In 2003, TiVo demoed a standalone HD TiVo prototype with two Over-the-Air (OTA 8VSB) ATSC tuners. The unit was capable of receiving, recording and performing all TiVo functions on local digital/HDTV broadcasts received through an antenna. Lack of market interest stalled further development.

DirecTV HD TiVo -- April 21st, 2004

Back of HDTiVo

In April 2004, DirecTV launched the DirecTV HR10-250 DirecTV with TiVo with 250GB capacity offering ~30 hours of high definition, ~200 hours of standard definition recording, or any combination of the two. *Actual recording time will vary depending on the type of programming being recorded. [Press Release...]
[ Specifications Front ] [ Specifications Back ]

DirecTV HD TiVos contain 2 DirecTV SD/HD/OTA tuners (a total of 3 coax inputs) which can receive/record standard definition and high definition programming from DirecTV as well as local digital/HDTV broadcasts brought in by an antenna. 2 tuners means 2 different shows can be recorded simultaneously.

DirecTV HD TiVos were introduced with an MSRP of $999 but can now be found for $400 or less.

What is the future of the DirecTV HD TiVo?

After the acquisition of DirecTV by Rupert Murdoch, DirecTV announced the dissolution of their partnership with TiVo and introduced their own competing DVRs developed by Murdoch's partner company NDS. The NDS-designed standard definition DirecTV DVR was released in October 2005 and the High Definition NDS DVR is slated for a mid-2006 release. In light of this news, TiVo has introduced a standalone OTA/CableCard TiVo and is also developing a DVR with Comcast.

DirecTV TiVos and DirecTV HD TiVos will continue to function for an indefinite period but DirecTV HD TiVos will not be able to receive the HDTV programming DirecTV intends to roll out through 2006 and 2007, specifically local channels over satellite. This is because this new programming is in MPEG-4 and will be broadcast from different satellite orbital locations, neither of which the TiVo models recognize.

What ports and cables does the DirecTV HD TiVo include?

DirecTV HD TiVo ports include two USB2.0 ports (reserved for future use), 1 Component (RGB) video output, 1 HDMI output, 1 S-Video output, 1 Composite video output, 1 Stereo audio output, 1 SPD/IF Optical output, and 1 Modem jack.

DirecTV HD TiVos ship with these cables: Coax F-type (for satellite), RCA (Yellow/red/white), S-Video, Component (red-green-blue cable which is PbPrY standard), HDMI-DVI adapter, HDMI-HDMI cable, Optical (Dolby Digital), Power.

The High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) connector with High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is the only digital video output on the HD TiVo. Component video is high definition but not actually digital. An HDMI cable is included, as is a DVI-to-HDMI adapter.

NOTE: HDTVs with HDMI or DVI ports that are not running HDCP may not receive a picture through the HDMI port for certain PPV and sports programming at the broadcaster's discretion.

What output formats/resizing does this DirecTV HD TiVo support?

The DirecTV HD TiVo always displays programming at the selected output resolution. If the TiVo is set to output 1080i, then 720p shows (from ABC or ESPN) will be converted to 1080i prior to display. If you wish, and your HDTV does a better job natively displaying 720p, then you may change the output resolution to 720p when watching 720p material (there is, unfortunately, no on-screen indication of the source material's format).

NOTE: There is no "native" mode where the output format is automatically switched to match the source material.

You can change the output format the TiVo is using through a Setup menu or by simply pressing the UP arrow on the remote while watching a program. The output resolutions the TiVo will toggle between are 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i.

NOTE: DirecTV HD TiVos WILL NOT output a composite (S-Video/yellow RCA) signal simultaneously with an HD signal (Downconversion). Don't throw away that standard DirecTV TiVo just yet!

DirecTV HDTiVos can only display a standard definition picture (over S-Video or Composite video outputs) if the TiVo is set to 480i display.

DirecTV HDTiVos have Stretch Modes allowing you to display 16:9 or 4:3 material stretched to fit 16:9 Widescreen HDTVs or 4:3 digital TVs. There are no zoom/crop/justify (aka "coke bottle") modes but these may be added later in software upgrades.

Will the DirecTV HD TiVos support Home Media Option and Networking?

DirecTV HD TiVos run a variant of the same 3.1 software seen on the current DirecTV TiVos. Neither version 4.0 of the software nor Home Media Option networked media features are expected.

Where can I see a demo of the DirecTV HR10-250 with TiVo?

http://zdnet.com.com/1601-2-5141247.html

What hardware do I need from DirecTV?

Most DirecTV customers have a round dish with a single dual LNBF 'head'. This enables them to receive programming from DirecTV's main satellite positioned at the 101 degrees.

HDTV, Spanish, and Chinese programming all require an elliptical (oval) dish with 2 or 3 LNBF 'heads'. This adds the ability to receive programming from DirecTV's three MPEG-2 satellites at 101, 110, and 119 degrees. Older DirecTV elliptical dishes come with 2 LNBFs 'heads' (101 and 119) and a space in between. A 'Sat C Kit' will give your older dish the ability to see 110.

Phase III DirecTV elliptical dishes have the circuitry necessary to receive all 3 satellites sealed inside the 'arm' of the dish. DirecTV enthusiasts have also been known to use 3 separate round dishes, each pointed at 101, 110, and 119 degree positions!

You can also use the new 5LNB Ka/Ku 'superdish' from DirecTV with the HR10-250 HD TiVo, but you will not be able to record any high definition channels which are in MPEG-4 format (specifically local channels and eventually the entire lineup of HDTV channels on DirecTV).

DirecTV HDTV programming at 110:
ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, Discovery HD, HDNet Movies, Showtime HD

DirecTV HDTV programming at 119:
HDNet, HBO HD, HD Pay-per-view

All elliptical dishes either have a 4x4 multiswitch bolted onto the back of the dish (101/119), or integrated into the arm of the dish (Phase III).

The FOUR wires that come out of the dish are all "switched" outputs which means that any of the 4 wires can see either side of any of the 3 satellites.

This is why you cannot use a splitter, because signal tones and voltages are sent up the wire FROM the DirecTV receiver TO the dish (or multiswitch) asking for the satellite feed they need to display the requested channel.

To take full advantage of a DirecTV with TiVo or DirecTV HD TiVo receiver/recorder, you must have TWO wires from the dish/multiswitch connected to them. Ordinary DirecTV receivers each require ONE wire from the dish/multiswitch.

1 room wired for HD (less trouble, more economical)
Using a 2xX multiswitch to provide the 101 satellite to certain receivers and still having 2 outputs which can see all 3 satellites (101/110/119).

All rooms wired for HD (future proof)
Using a cascading 4x8 multiswitch to provide 8 outputs which can see all 3 satellites (101/110/119).

A DirecTV with TiVo HDTV receiver and the appropriate dish are the only equipment you need to receive and record the HDTV programming offered by DirecTV.

What DirecTV HDTV packages are available?

plus ESPN 2!

DirecTV customers with the HBO and Showtime packages can (with an HDTV receiver and the right dish) also receive the corresponding HBO HD and/or Showtime HD channel.

DirecTV also offers a premium package of HDTV channels for $9.99. This presently includes HDNet, HDNet Movies, Discovery HD, ESPN HD, and ESPN 2 HD. Subscribers to NFL Sunday Ticket and/or NBA HDTV will get to see selected games in HD on those channels but may need to purchase the exhorbitant NFL Sunday Ticket SUPERFAN add-on package. And finally, Spice TV now presents selected adult video entertainment in High Definition on DirecTV's PPV channel.

DirecTV offers local networks in High Definition using the new MPEG-4 format which cannot be viewed or recorded on any TiVo device.

DirecTV offers CBS HD New York and Los Angeles to certain customers who qualify. If you currently receive CBS as a 'Distant Local' from New York or Los Angeles, then you qualify for CBS-HD NY/LA from DirecTV.

Also, if you live in one of the following markets, you may also qualify for CBS-HD NY/LA from DirecTV: Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Los Angeles, Marquette, Miami, Minneapolis, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, and Green Bay.

Also, if you live in one of the following markets, you may also qualify for Fox-ED NY/LA from DirecTV: Atlanta, Austin, Birmingham, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Greensboro, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Memphis, Milwaukee, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, St. Louis, Tampa, and Washington DC.

[ More Info... ]

Old 12-19-2011, 07:04 AM   #1428
feldon23
MythBuster

Coming out of extreme lurking just to update this old FAQ.

Hopefully a moderator can rename the thread to:
** DirecTV HD TiVo HR10-250 Legacy FAQ **

and then someone can create a new FAQ about the DirecTV HD TiVo THR22.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #1429
timth30

HD TiVo And HD DirecTV TiVo FAQ TiVo Community

what is HD TiVo And HD DirecTV TiVo FAQ TiVo Community

Last edited by timth30 : 12-30-2011 at 11:21 AM.
timth30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #1430
sk33t3r

I called DTV the other day to replace a standard receiver and inquired about the THR22 and was told I could get it, and I am NOT in one of the testing markets. Problem is I just ordered my son a hd receiver non dvr and havent activated it yet, so im thinking about returning it to upgrade to a THR22
HR21-200
HR20-100
DRD420re
sk33t3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #1431
picardone

2 Directtv tivo units

Hi
If I have 2 direct tv tivo units would I be able to watch something off of the play list on the other tivo unit. I also have a series 2 tivo will that share the playlist to the direct tv tivos and visa versa.
Thanks
Mike
picardone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #1432
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardone View Post
Hi
If I have 2 direct tv tivo units would I be able to watch something off of the play list on the other tivo unit. I also have a series 2 tivo will that share the playlist to the direct tv tivos and visa versa.
Thanks
Mike
No. DirecTV/Tivo DVRs do not have the "Whole Home DVR" feature.
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #1433
sjberra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeloalbertini View Post
give me a link please
http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=194

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=199680

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=199334

Like those that show it does not work with the Directv feature?
sjberra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #1434
higcom

Can anyone provide the code to remove the parental password on the Philips Direct Tv with Tivo DSR 708? Thanks, Frank
higcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #1435
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
My understanding is that there is no code. Instead, you call DirecTV, verify that you are the subscriber and they can cause a signal to be sent to remove the password. You may have to push this through various CSRs until you find one that understands the issue (and that it is a TiVo.)
Old 03-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #1436
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by higcom View Post
Can anyone provide the code to remove the parental password on the Philips Direct Tv with Tivo DSR 708? Thanks, Frank
Steve's correct. There's no "code". You must call DirecTV and request that they reset the password. And you'll need to prove that you're the account holder.
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
Old 10-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #1437
fa_gsg

Pixelation on Channel 14 (Sommet) and no programme info

I am having Pixelation on Channel 14 (Sommet) and no programme info this has been reported to Tivo support initially a replacement box was supplied but still having the same issue. this pixelation also occurs sometimes with Ch 3 (TVNZ3) but the programme guide IS available
I also have a TV with a built in "freeview" tuner which is both very clear and also has the programme guide for Ch 14 without using the tivo box.
I have:
Reset
Scanned for channels
and added CH 14 as the initial scans do not pick up Ch 14.
I am still awaiting a call back from Support (10 days now)
Any suggestions

fa_gsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:28 AM   #1438
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa_gsg View Post
I am having Pixelation on Channel 14 (Sommet) and no programme info this has been reported to Tivo support initially a replacement box was supplied but still having the same issue. this pixelation also occurs sometimes with Ch 3 (TVNZ3) but the programme guide IS available
I also have a TV with a built in "freeview" tuner which is both very clear and also has the programme guide for Ch 14 without using the tivo box.
I have:
Reset
Scanned for channels
and added CH 14 as the initial scans do not pick up Ch 14.
I am still awaiting a call back from Support (10 days now)
Any suggestions
You probably wanted to post this in the NZ/Australia Tivo Forum ....
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...aysprune=&f=66
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
Old 04-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #1439
dantruong

Here is what I am interested.
I'm just slightly confused about the bit about the ATSC 480i standard which you say is "Not used in broadcast". You then say that some transmitting stations are simulcasting as many as 5 standard definition digital channels. Aren't these using 480i?
Well come visit Best gaming laptop reviews and Best phone In The World and Best Pc Laptop with us.

Last edited by dantruong : 05-13-2014 at 11:28 PM.
dantruong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #1440
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantruong View Post
Here is what I am interested.
I'm just slightly confused about the bit about the ATSC 480i standard which you say is "Not used in broadcast". You then say that some transmitting stations are simulcasting as many as 5 standard definition digital channels. Aren't these using 480i?
Huh? What post are you referring to?

480i is the ATSC standard for SD video. HD video is broadcast as either 720p or 1080i. Many off-air stations also broadcast multiple "sub-channels", and they're usually 480i.
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)