TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #8341
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
Yeah you have to turn it on, but once the image is tranferred over to the drive there is a pop up that comes up and says there is extra space and do you want to expand the drive and you just click yes.

I think if you have 2 drives connected at the same time and you are transferring from drive to drive its different. I cant remember its been a long time since I did it that way, I'd have to go back and look.
I've done small drive to big drive with WinMFS and after the copy it says I've got extra space and do I want to expand.

Although if you're going 1TB to 2TB it might very well not, because it observes the 1.1TB per drive limit.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:13 AM   #8342
lpwcomp

Quote:
Yeah you have to turn it on, but once the image is tranferred over to the drive there is a pop up that comes up and says there is extra space and do you want to expand the drive and you just click yes.
As someone else pointed out earlier, expand and supersize are two different things.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:24 AM   #8343
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
As someone else pointed out earlier, expand and supersize are two different things.
Yeah I got that already. I was just repeating what the instructions said, and the action I took when I prepared the hard drive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Expand.jpg (14.5 KB, 17 views)
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #8344
seriously_tho

Thanks Unitron. I don't have the unit open and dont want to mess with it til I'm ready to swap so no partition info for you now. The drive is audibly clicking regularly, not loud but I know it's a sign of impending doom so the less movement the better right now I think.

Since prices for a WD are between $150-250 for a 2 tb I'm thinking I may just pay DVR Dude to do the whole swap, not much difference in $$.

2more ??'s - is there any real advantage to using the WD av-gp drives over a standard Green? and if I opt to replace my 1tb drive with an identical 1tb, could I do the whole transfer with winmfs? (looking to keep things simple).
seriously_tho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #8345
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriously_tho View Post
Thanks Unitron. I don't have the unit open and dont want to mess with it til I'm ready to swap so no partition info for you now. The drive is audibly clicking regularly, not loud but I know it's a sign of impending doom so the less movement the better right now I think.

Since prices for a WD are between $150-250 for a 2 tb I'm thinking I may just pay DVR Dude to do the whole swap, not much difference in $$.

2more ??'s - is there any real advantage to using the WD av-gp drives over a standard Green? and if I opt to replace my 1tb drive with an identical 1tb, could I do the whole transfer with winmfs? (looking to keep things simple).
If you go with an identical size 1TB (and by indentical I mean the same LBA number), you can do it with dd_rescue on the MFS Live cd v1.4 (available at mfslive.org, and handy to have by anybody who does anything with hard drives, whether they own a TiVo or not)

dd_rescue -v /dev/sda /dev/sdb

where sda is the original drive and sdb is the new, target drive, and -v (the verbose option) let's you see what's going on.

What this method does is a byte for byte clone/Xerox of the source drive, that pays no attention to what software is on the drive because it looks at it at a lower level.

I have no first hand experience with the av-gp drives.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #8346
lpwcomp

Quote:
Yeah I got that already. I was just repeating what the instructions said, and the action I took when I prepared the hard drive.
In context with the post you quoted, you seemed to be implying that it prompts you about supersizing, which it doesn't.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #8347
MeInDallas

Quote:
In context with the post you quoted, you seemed to be implying that it prompts you about supersizing, which it doesn't.
Yeah see I understand that, and I was talking with Unitron and he pointed that out to me, so I didnt need you to chime in like a hall monitor to correct me. If you want a fight please go to a wresting match or a school yard.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #8348
Soapm

Quote:
Yeah see I understand that, and I was talking with Unitron and he pointed that out to me, so I didnt need you to chime in like a hall monitor to correct me. If you want a fight please go to a wresting match or a school yard.
Now there's a strange way to say thanks to someone trying to help...
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #8349
lpwcomp

Quote:
I don't want to fight but if you don't want criticism, you need to be clearer in your posts. You are participating in a public forum. If you wish to have a private conversation with someone, then PM them. Your post was clearly implying that you would be prompted about supersizing, which could lead to other users being confused. One shouldn't be forced to read your mind to "properly" interpret the following:
Quote:
The sequence of events is actually:

1. Copy
2. When the copy completes, you should be prompted if you want to use the extra space (expand)
3. Based on the answer, the free space will be allocated.
4. After that step, you must explicitly select and turn on Supersize if you so desire. It is not a requirement. You will not be prompted to do so. If you leave it off, it will simply result in excessive space being allocated for the TiVo to use for things like teleworld. A supersized 2TB drive will report @318 hours of HD capacity vs. 297(IIRC) for a non supersized one.

That brings up a question: Has anyone just supersized a stock Premiere XL drive to get the additional capacity? May not be worth the effort unless you are doing a lot of SD recording but just curious as to whether or not it had been done. Also, what does the Elite report as capacity? TiVo specs say 300 hours which is obviously not supersized. And no, I am not suggesting anyone attempt supersizing an Elite drive.

Edit: Just to be clear, I am aware that a stock Premiere XL drive is only 1TB.

Last edited by lpwcomp : 12-11-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #8350
seriously_tho

Blank post to up my postcount to a whopping 5...
Old 12-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #8351
seriously_tho

Unitron, I went ahead & pulled it out to backup, here are MSINFO specs -

I ordered a 2tb WD AV-GP drive (the oem drive is also av-gp, 1tb). Think I can do the transfer etc with just winmfs?
Old 12-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #8352
unitron

Quote:
Unitron, I went ahead & pulled it out to backup, here are MSINFO specs -

I ordered a 2tb WD AV-GP drive (the oem drive is also av-gp, 1tb). Think I can do the transfer etc with just winmfs?

You can use WinMFS to copy to another drive, but you'll need jmfs to expand into that extra 1TB. The question is whether to let jmfs do it all or use WinMFS first and then jmfs.

As long as you've got the drive out of the TiVo...

If you'll use WinMFS to make a truncated backup of that drive, and put it on DropBox or SendSpace or somewhere where I can download it, I can restore it to a 1TB, which will then give me the equivalent of an HD XL drive, including partition size and layout, and then experiment on the best way to copy and expand to a 2TB.

Also, after you make that backup, you could use the WD diagnostic software to run the long test on that drive to see if it's still usable in some capacity or not.

(or you could just send it to me when you're through with it. )

Old 12-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #8353
MeInDallas

Quote:
I don't want to fight but if you don't want criticism, you need to be clearer in your posts. You are participating in a public forum. If you wish to have a private conversation with someone, then PM them. Your post was clearly implying that you would be prompted about supersizing, which could lead to other users being confused. One shouldn't be forced to read your mind to "properly" interpret the following:

The sequence of events is actually:

1. Copy
2. When the copy completes, you should be prompted if you want to use the extra space (expand)
3. Based on the answer, the free space will be allocated.
4. After that step, you must explicitly select and turn on Supersize if you so desire. It is not a requirement. You will not be prompted to do so. If you leave it off, it will simply result in excessive space being allocated for the TiVo to use for things like teleworld. A supersized 2TB drive will report @318 hours of HD capacity vs. 297(IIRC) for a non supersized one.

That brings up a question: Has anyone just supersized a stock Premiere XL drive to get the additional capacity? May not be worth the effort unless you are doing a lot of SD recording but just curious as to whether or not it had been done. Also, what does the Elite report as capacity? TiVo specs say 300 hours which is obviously not supersized. And no, I am not suggesting anyone attempt supersizing an Elite drive.

Edit: Just to be clear, I am aware that a stock Premiere XL drive is only 1TB.
The way you quoted me, you made it sound as if there is there is no pop up at the end of the process, which there clearly is. Maybe you should be more specific about what you quote when you respond to someone. I cannot read your mind either, and when you misquote people, you confuse others also.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #8354
lpwcomp

Quote:
The way you quoted me, you made it sound as if there is there is no pop up at the end of the process, which there clearly is. Maybe you should be more specific about what you quote when you respond to someone. I cannot read your mind either, and when you misquote people, you confuse others also.
That's a patent lie. I did not misquote you. I did not even leave out relevant parts of your post or quote you out of context in a manner that made it look worse. Unless you can show otherwise, withdraw that accusation or I will consider filing a formal complaint.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #8355
unitron

Quote:
That's a patent lie. I did not misquote you. I did not even leave out relevant parts of your post or quote you out of context in a manner that made it look worse. Unless you can show otherwise, withdraw that accusation or I will consider filing a formal complaint.
What you quoted in this post

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...34#post8851534

right after the "read his mind" remark, was posted by him after we had cleared up the expand/supersize confusion.

It was in this earlier post of his

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...52#post8850852

where he said supersize where he should have said expand, but as I indicted we got that straightened out soon thereafter, about 2 hours before your first post

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...87#post8850987

on the subject appeared.

Maybe somebody spliced in some slow-wire between you and the TCF servers.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #8356
MeInDallas

Quote:
Go back to the top of this thread to your post #8342 and read the statement you quoted from me. The statement I made is a true and accurate statement. The way you quoted it leads people to believe that it is not true and that I am misleading people. I will not withdraw anything so go file your complaint.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #8357
seriously_tho

^^ People, knock it off. This is the stupidest argument in the history of stupid arguments. Seriously.

Unitron, I'll post that backup somewhere, size allowing. Look for PM. Not sure you'd want the physical drive, it sounds like a pencil tapping on a desk.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #8358
lpwcomp

Quote:
^^ People, knock it off. This is the stupidest argument in the history of stupid arguments. Seriously.
If not, it's probably pretty close, so I hereby call a unilateral truce.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #8359
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You can use WinMFS to copy to another drive, but you'll need jmfs to expand into that extra 1TB. The question is whether to let jmfs do it all or use WinMFS first and then jmfs. )
In my experience, you can't expand a drive with jfms that has been restored with WinMFS. You have to use WinMFS to expand the drive. jfms won't acknowledge it as a valid tivo drive so won't give you the option to expand it.

If I am reading the situation right you have to completely restore the image to a 1TB or larger drive using WinMFS then pray jfms will recognize the drive as a valid Tivo drive. I find the program is very picky on what it will acknowledge as a valid Tivo drive which is why I once asked what it's looking for.

A second reason to restore it to a 1TB drive before using jfms to expand it to 2tb is so you won't end up with a partition larger than 1TB. I don't know for sure if that's what my TivoHD doesn't like but it can't hurt not to have a partition > 1TB.

PS... One other suggestion, I would make sure the software is up to date prior to copying it to the final drive with jfms. Not sure why but it seems to like that better...
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #8360
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
In my experience, you can't expand a drive with jfms that has been restored with WinMFS. You have to use WinMFS to expand the drive. jfms won't acknowledge it as a valid tivo drive so won't give you the option to expand it.

If I am reading the situation right you have to completely restore the image to a 1TB or larger drive using WinMFS then pray jfms will recognize the drive as a valid Tivo drive. I find the program is very picky on what it will acknowledge as a valid Tivo drive which is why I once asked what it's looking for.

A second reason to restore it to a 1TB drive before using jfms to expand it to 2tb is so you won't end up with a partition larger than 1TB. I don't know for sure if that's what my TivoHD doesn't like but it can't hurt not to have a partition > 1TB.

PS... One other suggestion, I would make sure the software is up to date prior to copying it to the final drive with jfms. Not sure why but it seems to like that better...
What usually trips up jmfs is if there's any unpartitioned space on the source drive that can be interpreted as an "Apple Free" partition, because jmfs considers it a valid partition and instead of using it justs puts another partiton beyond it, which usually exceeds the 16 partitions per drive rule.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:05 AM   #8361
lpwcomp

Does JMFS copy everything, or just the blocks actually being used?

Old 12-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #8362
seriously_tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
What usually trips up jmfs is if there's any unpartitioned space on the source drive that can be interpreted as an "Apple Free" partition, because jmfs considers it a valid partition and instead of using it justs puts another partiton beyond it, which usually exceeds the 16 partitions per drive rule.
I've got the backup file uploaded to dropbox for you but need an email address to send you the link...and I can't send a PM til I have 10 posts...
Old 12-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #8363
seriously_tho

The guy at DVRstore.com (DVR_Dude) mentioned that JMFS doesn't set things up quite right & leads to problems down the road, I don't know why. He suggested WinMFS.

9 posts...
Old 12-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #8364
seriously_tho

Quote:
If not, it's probably pretty close, so I hereby call a unilateral truce.
Thank God. Playing he said/she said where everything's in writing just seemed silly

Woohoo - 10 posts! PM sent.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #8365
tlp95129

Internal Drive Upgrade

I'm planning to upgrade the original drive in my TiVo HD (TCD652160) with a 1 TB WD10EVVS, salvaged from a Sezmi DVR. Is there any special preparation I need to do on the new drive, like partitioning or formatting, before going through the MFS upgrade procedure or will MFS handle it all. I have no idea what file system is on the drive now, but I would guess it's some Linux variant like ext3.
tlp95129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #8366
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlp95129 View Post
I'm planning to upgrade the original drive in my TiVo HD (TCD652160) with a 1 TB WD10EVVS, salvaged from a Sezmi DVR. Is there any special preparation I need to do on the new drive, like partitioning or formatting, before going through the MFS upgrade procedure
No.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #8367
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlp95129 View Post
I'm planning to upgrade the original drive in my TiVo HD (TCD652160) with a 1 TB WD10EVVS, salvaged from a Sezmi DVR. Is there any special preparation I need to do on the new drive, like partitioning or formatting, before going through the MFS upgrade procedure or will MFS handle it all. I have no idea what file system is on the drive now, but I would guess it's some Linux variant like ext3.
You might want to run wdidle3 to see if Intellipark needs disabling.

MFS Live or WinMFS will overwrite everything on the drive, so as long as it doesn't have a Host Protected Area, nothing special need be done.

To check for HPA, boot from MFS Live cd

hdparm -N /dev/sda

where sda is the drive in question

It should come up with two long numbers and if they match, you're good to go.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #8368
seriously_tho

So I ran MFScopy between the 1tb OEM drive & the new 2tb drive following the instructions in post 1. Do I need to mess with JFMS too?

results -

Old 12-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #8369
unitron

Quote:
So I ran MFScopy between the 1tb OEM drive & the new 2tb drive following the instructions in post 1. Do I need to mess with JFMS too?

results -

I took the TCD658000 S3 HD XL image you "dropped" and restored it (with WinMFS) to a 1TB drive, which it completely filled.

Tried it in my TCD652160 S3 HD, and it boots (eventually) and I can run guided setup, but apparently the mismatch between the software being 658 and the machine (and its TiVo Service Number) being a 652 keeps it convinced it has an error 51.

Using that image puts only 4 MFS partitions on a 1TB drive, instead of the 6 you'd get from putting a 652 image on and expanding.

I used WinMFS to go from the 1TB to the 2TB, increasing the swap size to about 1GB, which leaves me with a big ol' Apple Free Partition, which would trip up jmfs, so I went ahead and let WinMFS expand.

It put 2 more MFS partitions on, filling the 2TB drive.

Tried that in my HD and got pretty much the same deal as with the 1TB, but in system info it appears it sees all 2TB of space.

Be a pioneer and go ahead and try it the way you've got it, with only the WinMFS expansion (at this point there's no room for jmfs to create that 16th partition anyway).

I suspect it might work just fine.

The HD XL and the HD both come with 2 MFS pairs on the stock drive, but since the XL's drive is bigger, they are bigger.

This means adding a third MFS pair (to an XL going from the stock 1TB to a 2TB) doesn't break the supposed "no partition bigger than 1.1TB" rule, the way it would with a regular HD.

I wonder if I can use jmfs to put a 2TB in a Series 2?

Old 12-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #8370
seriously_tho

^^ Reading that is like reading a novel in Spanish, I get the gist of it but the nuances are lost on me

I plugged it back into the Tivo & works fine, shows 318 hours of HD space available. So I'm thinking I'm good now, no JMFS.

I'll report back here if something goes wrong, otherwise assume you can upgrade a S3 HD XL from 1tb to a 2tb drive usig only WinMFS & the stock instructions on page 1 of this thread.

Thanks all for the help, especially Unitron for talking slow enough for me to understand