Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-07-2011, 01:42 AM   #8221
sm39049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Taco View Post
No clue, but Googling shows a 24 hour number: (855) 479-4541
Tried it just now. The message says that number has been disconnected, and to reference my "Comcast Self Install Kit" for up-to-date information. I didn't get a kit. Just the damned card, which isn't even the same card that I'm using now. This is one of the ones the tech tried this morning.

Sigh. I guess I'll try the other number in the morning.
sm39049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #8222
morac
Cat God

At the bottom of my Comcast bill I saw that Comcast will be changing their rates again this January. TV and Internet prices will go up (of course), but the rental fees for cable boxes and cableCARDs will be going down.

Converter boxes will go from $2.75 to $2.15 and the 2nd cableCARD in a device will go from $1.50 to $1.15. Also because of the changes, the "Customer owned video equipment credit" will change from $2.95 to $2.50. This is in my Comcast area, your rate changes may vary depending on your location.

The end result of this is that for most TiVo users with only one cableCARD per TiVo, in addition to the annual rate increase, you'll also pay more do to the decrease in the credit. For me that's only 45 cents a card for a total of $1.80. That's not a lot, but toss in a $3 per month Internet increase and a $3 a month TV increase and it adds up. Fortunately I'm price locked till April, but the credit change still affects me.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #8223
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

You have to pay the full outlet fee for a card or box here, so YMMV. It's around $8.50 a month minus the card credit of $2.50.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #8224
jaj2276

In case others come here searching for the same information regarding self-installs of cablecards. I received two Scientific Atlanta cablecards to install for Comcast in Charleston, SC and the directions that comcast gave me and what you actually needed (and where you got it from) were two different things.

The instructions from Comcast say that from the Cablecard Diag screen, one will need to get three pieces of information:

Host Id
Data Id
Cablecard serial number

For these SA Cablecards, all the screens are labeled "Cisco CableCARD xxxx". The Diag screen had none of the information that is/was needed. There is a screen called "Cisco CableCARD / Host ID Screen". On this screen, you will find the Host Id and the CableCARD ID. This CableCARD ID takes the place of the Data ID.

Finally on each cablecard (the card itself), there are two values. One is the MAC address. The other is the serial number. Oddly neither of these two are labeled as such. I know one is the MAC address because in one of the CableCARD screens, it lists that same value as the MAC address. The other one is the serial number (and it's not a number but rather a series of characters starting with PQ) which I know because the Comcast technician stated as such.

In any case, I'm happy to report that after worrying that I only had one piece of the three pieces of information that the instructions told me I needed (the Host ID), the rep was knowledgeable enough to know that once I told him I had SA cards and NOT Motorola cards, the CableCARD ID was the same as the Data ID and the serial number could be found on the back of the card. Took me 10 minutes and everything works!
jaj2276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #8225
ronr2006

S3 S-Card not recognizing HBO on Comcast

Have an S3 with S-Card and it's been working fine on basic digital for years.

Comcast has a deal for $10/mo for HBO and I signed up. The S-Card will not recognize that HBO is turned on. Tried 5-6 different calls to Comcast and no one could help and they suggest swapping this old S-Card for a new card. Does this sound right? Years ago I had premium channels and it worked fine.

Ideas ?

RR::WD
ronr2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #8226
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronr2006

Comcast has a deal for $10/mo for HBO and I signed up. The S-Card will not recognize that HBO is turned on. Tried 5-6 different calls to Comcast and no one could help and they suggest swapping this old S-Card for a new card. Does this sound right? Years ago I had premium channels and it worked fine.

Ideas ?

You shouldn't need to swap the card. First make sure it's paired by checking the cablecard diagnostic screen. If it isn't you need to get Comcast to pair it. If it is and they already sent a hit out to the card, the Comcast probably didn't enter the billing info correctly.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #8227
ronr2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
You shouldn't need to swap the card. First make sure it's paired by checking the cablecard diagnostic screen. If it isn't you need to get Comcast to pair it. If it is and they already sent a hit out to the card, the Comcast probably didn't enter the billing info correctly.
If I wan't paired would it not receive anything? Again, this card has been working for years...
Old 11-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #8228
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronr2006 View Post

Ideas ?

I would take the new card. I don't know about where you are but Comcast here will give you one free card per device. This means a MCard can receive multiple channels at no charge where as you'd have to pay for the second tuner using SCards.

Also, whenever Comcast changes my service or if something happens to my Tivo I have to request then completely delete my card and add it from scratch. This seems to fix it every time. Sending the signal and all that other stuff they do never works but a complete delete and reactive fixes it every time. Getting a new card will solve that problem since it will have to be a new install...
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #8229
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronr2006

If I wan't paired would it not receive anything? Again, this card has been working for years...
An unpaired card can get all channels except premiums (including Encore for Comcast).
Old 11-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #8230
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm

I would take the new card. I don't know about where you are but Comcast here will give you one free card per device. This means a MCard can receive multiple channels at no charge where as you'd have to pay for the second tuner using SCards.
The S3, which is what he has, requires two cableCards regardless if they are S or M cards, because it was never updated to work with a single M card.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #8231
getgray

You need to get to someone who knows what they are doing with cabel cards. Never easy for me around here. If I don't get what I need on the first try, I email We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com . That channel has gotten me fixed correctly every time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Speels betr than typos.
getgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:09 AM   #8232
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Sounds like the DATA ID doesn't match in their system, I had this same problem a couple of years ago. Premiums won't work if all the numbers don't match (Card, Host, and Data ID).
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #8233
ronr2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Sounds like the DATA ID doesn't match in their system, I had this same problem a couple of years ago. Premiums won't work if all the numbers don't match (Card, Host, and Data ID).
Turns out that was exactly the problem - Data ID miss-entered. After talking to Comcast on the phone yesterday, they scheduled a truck roll and the guy was here at 7:30am(!) this morning. He did add an M-card, let me continue to use the S-Card and got everything up and working in about 20minutes. And yes, the M-card only works with one channel with the S3. So, overall a successful upgrade. And, thanks to those who responded.!

Old 11-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #8234
danjw1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronr2006 View Post
When I got my HD, I was able to get the basic cable channels before I got it paired. So, no it didn't have to be paired, it didn't even need to be there. Only to get HD programming would you need it if you only have basic cable. At least that is how it worked in my area, South San Francisco bay area.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:04 PM   #8235
danjw1

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
An unpaired card can get all channels except premiums (including Encore for Comcast).
It really depends on where you live. Comcast has acquired a bunch of companies and inherited their systems. So making any general remark about how Comcast works, isn't meaningful.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #8236
chetk

cable cards problems

Its been a long road and still can't get all my channels. I have been on the phone and truck rolls (another one on this sat) at my wits end about this. I been missing channels for the past yr been trying to get the problem fixed but has not. I don't know if the csr or service tech coming out just don't know how to fix the problem. I was looking thru this thread and only thing i have seen this under conditional access on cc #1 Auth; subscribed and on cc #2 Auth; fixed working key. So is it possble that this is the problem? Also the same for my other tivo in bedroom. Can anybody help before truck roll gets here. thanks
chetk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #8237
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetk
Its been a long road and still can't get all my channels. I have been on the phone and truck rolls (another one on this sat) at my wits end about this. I been missing channels for the past yr been trying to get the problem fixed but has not. I don't know if the csr or service tech coming out just don't know how to fix the problem. I was looking thru this thread and only thing i have seen this under conditional access on cc #1 Auth; subscribed and on cc #2 Auth; fixed working key. So is it possble that this is the problem? Also the same for my other tivo in bedroom. Can anybody help before truck roll gets here. thanks
Make sure you get credits applied for every day you don't get your channels. That truck roll cost will be paid by them after a couple of days and then you'll get the channels you DO get for free.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #8238
danjw1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetk View Post
I have a Tivo HD and my "Auth" is "S" when I am on an encrypted channel. I hope this helps. Sorry it took me so long to reply, but my TV's lamp blew out on Monday, and I didn't get a replacement until last night.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #8239
tim254

I must be one of the lucky one's. I just picked up 4 cables card (m-cards) from Comcast in White Marsh Maryland. I installed them in my two S3's and it took 20-30 minutes to update the firmware. After that it started working. I didn't have to call or anything. I'm not sure if it's just because I have basic cable (not extended), but it worked.
tim254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #8240
danjw1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim254 View Post
I must be one of the lucky one's. I just picked up 4 cables card (m-cards) from Comcast in White Marsh Maryland. I installed them in my two S3's and it took 20-30 minutes to update the firmware. After that it started working. I didn't have to call or anything. I'm not sure if it's just because I have basic cable (not extended), but it worked.
I don't think you even need the cards for Basic Cable, unless you have HD turned on. At least I was able to get that before I had a CableCard installed, that was several years ago. But, Comcast is different in different areas. They are mish mash of different policies and systems.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #8241
tim254

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjw1 View Post
I don't think you even need the cards for Basic Cable, unless you have HD turned on. At least I was able to get that before I had a CableCard installed, that was several years ago. But, Comcast is different in different areas. They are mish mash of different policies and systems.
Yeah, In my area you do. Without them, I get that white screen asking for me to get one of those stupid digital adapters. They turned off the other channels awhile ago, but just recently just killed the analog signal for the basic channels.
tim254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #8242
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjw1 View Post
Sounds like you got the same info as a rep I had to deal with.

In my area, Limited cable is channels 2-30. Basic is 2-75 or something. Channels 4, 5, and 7 are the local ABC, NBC, and CBS affiliates. The channels are 480p. Channels 104, 105, and 107 are the 1080i versions and are included with Limited. But you need a CC to decode them. I had to sign up for "Digital" and then cancel the package in order to get the card.
Atomic Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #8243
lpwcomp

You don't need a CableCARD, even for guide data, for analog channels. You do need it for digital channels, even SD digital channels. Even if they are not encrypted, you need the CC for mapping.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #8244
elliemaej

Help Needed

I have been on the phone off and on for more than 4 hours with Comcast trying to install SA Cable Cards in 2 Tivo Premiere boxes. I finally found the hotline number and thought I would be ok. The pairing isnt working. My husband went to the Comcast office today to swap out a different box and tried to get 2 new cards, just in case it was the card's issue but they told him there is nothing wrong with them.
Now, an hour later I have a supervisor from the Cable Card Hotline number but he still cant get it to work. He said he has to email the second level for support and would call me back.
This is so frustrating.
Any helpful hints you could pass along would greatly improve my sanity!

ps...I had the Tivo Support guy on with me and Comcast last night also. UGH

Last edited by elliemaej : 12-09-2011 at 03:49 PM. Reason: forgot something
elliemaej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #8245
danjw1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliemaej View Post
I have been on the phone off and on for more than 4 hours with Comcast trying to install SA Cable Cards in 2 Tivo Premiere boxes. I finally found the hotline number and thought I would be ok. The pairing isnt working. My husband went to the Comcast office today to swap out a different box and tried to get 2 new cards, just in case it was the card's issue but they told him there is nothing wrong with them.
Now, an hour later I have a supervisor from the Cable Card Hotline number but he still cant get it to work. He said he has to email the second level for support and would call me back.
This is so frustrating.
Any helpful hints you could pass along would greatly improve my sanity!

ps...I had the Tivo Support guy on with me and Comcast last night also. UGH
Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. You can go here to file a complaint. They are required to support self installs. Hopefully the second tier guy can get this worked out for you. You could also tweet to @comcastcares, that has helped some people.

Last edited by danjw1 : 12-09-2011 at 08:03 PM.
danjw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #8246
HazelW

So much for self-install

Last week I stopped by the local comcast office to get a cablecard self install kit. Today my new Premier Elite came. I did guided setup, inserted the cablecard, and called the activation number. The tech claimed that the local office did not enter the cablecard correctly in my account and he can pair it but it does not let him send an activation signal. He says he can not fix it from his end. So a truck roll is happening tomorrow to hopefully solve the problem. He also said I could take the card back to the local office and exchange it, but if they could not do it right the first time, why would they do it right now?
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #8247
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post
Last week I stopped by the local comcast office to get a cablecard self install kit. Today my new Premier Elite came. I did guided setup, inserted the cablecard, and called the activation number. The tech claimed that the local office did not enter the cablecard correctly in my account and he can pair it but it does not let him send an activation signal. He says he can not fix it from his end. So a truck roll is happening tomorrow to hopefully solve the problem. He also said I could take the card back to the local office and exchange it, but if they could not do it right the first time, why would they do it right now?
Some reps are smarter than others.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #8248
danjw1

Quote:
See my post right above yours find a link to file a complaint with the FCC. You can try calling back and seeing if you get someone who isn't incompetent.

Last edited by danjw1 : 12-14-2011 at 10:53 AM.
danjw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #8249
HazelW

Well the tech came. Said the cablecard I got from the office was for an adjacent area. He had two more cablecards he tried. Took over an hour texting back and forth to the office and trying all cards, but eventually it worked. It should just not be this hard.
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #8250
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Well the tech came. Said the cablecard I got from the office was for an adjacent area. He had two more cablecards he tried. Took over an hour texting back and forth to the office and trying all cards, but eventually it worked. It should just not be this hard.
Sounds like it was pretty easy for you.