TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #1981
LynnL999

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
but at least we FINALLY have BBC HD. Now, how about Current TV please...
I am with you on both points! I am really excited about BBCA.

So after venting my spleen a bit on Twitter, a Cox rep called me.

She said all of the HD channels will be moving to the 1000's in December, and the new channels are mostly for testing purposes. What cable card users have now should smooth out and be the same as the regular lineup, except for the Plus Pack which we're apparently not supposed to have at all.

So I was told.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #1982
LynnL999

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I Urge all Cox CableCARD customers to file a complaint with the FCC, and tell them Cox is requiring the lease of equipment to receive these "linear channels" and denying you access on a capable CableCARD UDCP receiver (TiVo Premiere). Cox may not budge on this issue until the FCC gets involved.
Both my TiVo's are HD's. Can I file a complaint too?
Old 11-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #1983
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnL999 View Post
Both my TiVo's are HD's. Can I file a complaint too?
I would...Cox is taking the low road on this one, legal or not
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #1984
tvmaster2

Quote:
I am with you on both points! I am really excited about BBCA.

So after venting my spleen a bit on Twitter, a Cox rep called me.

She said all of the HD channels will be moving to the 1000's in December, and the new channels are mostly for testing purposes. What cable card users have now should smooth out and be the same as the regular lineup, except for the Plus Pack which we're apparently not supposed to have at all.

So I was told.
regarding the "Plus Pak", we need to complain to the FCC on that issue. Essentially, I pay $21 for HBO/Starz. For that I receive SIX HD versions of those channels. For a measly $5, Cox DVR renters receive at least 10 of those HP Premium channels, which I CANNOT subscribe to. Essentially, TiVo/Cable-card renters are SUBSIDIZING the Cox DVR renters, as they are getting channels from HBO / Starz / Encore based on a "group" rate from those content providers. It's complete bulls$&t. But if no one writes the FCC, then you get the government you deserve, you know?
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #1985
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
regarding the "Plus Pak", we need to complain to the FCC on that issue. Essentially, I pay $21 for HBO/Starz. For that I receive SIX HD versions of those channels. For a measly $5, Cox DVR renters receive at least 10 of those HP Premium channels, which I CANNOT subscribe to. Essentially, TiVo/Cable-card renters are SUBSIDIZING the Cox DVR renters, as they are getting channels from HBO / Starz / Encore based on a "group" rate from those content providers. It's complete bulls$&t. But if no one writes the FCC, then you get the government you deserve, you know?

does anyone have a good complaint written up that I could recycle and send to them? I haven't complained to the fcc yet as I just never felt like sitting down to write a formal complaint.
LoREvanescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #1986
LynnL999

If you go to the FCC site, you'll click through to a complaint form. You can pretty much paraphrase what tvmaster said -- I would leave out the bulls$%t part though
Old 11-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #1987
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoREvanescence View Post
does anyone have a good complaint written up that I could recycle and send to them? I haven't complained to the fcc yet as I just never felt like sitting down to write a formal complaint.
Anyone up for posting a professional complaint letter?

If not, I do plan to draft and post a letter in the near future, actually 3 letters, one to the FCC, one to the local Cox market and one to Cox Corporate in Atlanta. Cox Arizona has not officially launched the Plus Package channels, so at the current time I do not have a legitimate complaint, but I want to be ready.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #1988
sudodate

Arrow

I filed a complaint today. In Fairfax, VA they don't call anything the Plus Pack yet... but they still have a block of 27 channels (including most of the premium movie channels) which are only available if you use the Cox Trio "Whole Home" DVR.

When I called Cox today to find out why most of the HBO channels showed up as "not authorized", the tech support rep told me honestly that Cox had decided to only make those channels available to people who pay for their most expensive DVR.

Seriously... how do they get away with this?
sudodate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:31 AM   #1989
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudodate View Post

Seriously... how do they get away with this?
How many cable companies do you have from which to choose?

I'm guessing it's probably 1.

I'm thinking that's the answer to your question.

Maybe you need to talk to whatever local politicians are on whatever local body that says which cable company gets to use the right of way in which area of your community.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #1990
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Folks with this issue also need to talk to their local franchise authority, they will have contacts to escalate with Cox. Once you can show them it's an FCC violation, they might listen (both the county/city and Cox). Google Cox Cable's executive relations number and talk to corporate as well. They need to know that they are in violation of the regs.

Of course explaining how Tivo uses Cablecards and Tuning Adapters will be lots of fun...
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #1991
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Folks with this issue also need to talk to their local franchise authority, they will have contacts to escalate with Cox. Once you can show them it's an FCC violation, they might listen (both the county/city and Cox). Google Cox Cable's executive relations number and talk to corporate as well. They need to know that they are in violation of the regs.

Of course explaining how Tivo uses Cablecards and Tuning Adapters will be lots of fun...
What you explain to the local franchise authority is that you'd hate to have to support their opponent(s) in the next election, but...

Old 11-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #1992
LynnL999

I received a reply to my FCC complaint that appeared to be a form letter. It had nothing to do with cable cards or anything I actually said in my complaint
Old 11-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #1993
lrhorer

Quote:
I received a reply to my FCC complaint that appeared to be a form letter. It had nothing to do with cable cards or anything I actually said in my complaint
Why does that not surprise me? OTOH, did you specifically reference FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(4) and the fact you are not receiving linear SDV channels that other subscribers with the same level of service you have are getting? This issue fundamentally has nothing to do with CableCards, so mentioning them is really superfluous.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #1994
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
See this posting all California markets should have access to the Plus Package channels by December 1st, on a capable 1GHz CableCARD tuner.
Quote:
A Cox San Diego employee has confirmed that Cox California markets will have access to the Plus Package HD channels on 1GHz capable CableCARD UDCPs by December 1st. (assuming they also subscribe to the associated SD channel package) He would not confirm if other markets would follow.

http://www.sandiegohdtv.org/forums/t...d=2185#pid2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Why does that not surprise me? OTOH, did you specifically reference FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(4) and the fact you are not receiving linear SDV channels that other subscribers with the same level of service you have are getting? This issue fundamentally has nothing to do with CableCards, so mentioning them is really superfluous.
None of the Cox Plus Package channels are using SDV. They are simply broadcast over the legacy 860MHz range.

There was some discussion about using MPEG-4 for these channels, but I believe they are currently MPEG-2, they are here in Phoenix. In Phoenix they are live for testing purposes, but are not Authorized on CableCARDs at this time.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 11-29-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:55 PM   #1995
lrhorer

Quote:
None of the Cox Plus Package channels are using SDV. They are simply broadcast over the legacy 860MHz range.
I cannot argue that it is not the case, since I am not there, but according to the response above, only certain Cisco 1GHz boxes can receive them. That smells a lot like SDV.

Quote:
There was some discussion about using MPEG-4 for these channels, but I believe they are currently MPEG-2, they are here in Phoenix. In Phoenix they are live for testing purposes, but are not Authorized on CableCARDs at this time.
If they are only there for testing purposes, then they are probably not breaking any laws, but that is not what the website suggests.

OTOH, something else is fishy. Twenty-seven SDV channels is just an awfully tiny number, and if they are deploying SDV, then there is no need to go above 750 MHz. 750MHz is enough for thousands of SDV channels, unless their nodes are over-extended. No matter what, something does not add up.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:05 AM   #1996
jodell
TiVo geek

I filed a FCC complaint a few months ago and called Cox OC customer relations months before I found this thread. Neither resulted in any changes. I was actually told that the Plus Package channels "couldn't possibly be working on my TiVo because they were not SDV". I offered to repeat the audio from any working Plus Package channel to the rep but she declined. :')

I will file a new FCC complaint as well as copy the local franchise board, etc. Maybe if we make enough noise, the Plus Package channels will "magically" start working.

Jeff
jodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #1997
LynnL999

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
I did mention that rule, and also that I was a cable card subscriber, which seemed relevant to how I get the channels at all without a Cox HD receiver or DVR.

(Unfortunately, the FCC doesn't email you a full copy of your complaint.)
Old 11-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #1998
LynnL999

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodell View Post
I will file a new FCC complaint as well as copy the local franchise board, etc. Maybe if we make enough noise, the Plus Package channels will "magically" start working.
I'm in Irvine too -- I'd be happy to send a letter as well. If you'd post yours, it would be helpful, though I won't copy it word for word
Old 12-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #1999
Holazola

Quick question: Does anyone have a spec sheet for the Motorola M-cards. Are they 1Ghz bandwidth capable devices? I can't find any detailed info about them.

I have COX in Santa Barbara and I got the "above 860mhz" story line today. It looks like about 30 of the 120 or so available "1000 series" HD channels "REQUIRE" their newer rental HD STBs. I pay $15/mo for 9 channels of HBO and only get 2 channels in HD. What a load of crap.
Holazola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:21 AM   #2000
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holazola View Post
Quick question: Does anyone have a spec sheet for the Motorola M-cards. Are they 1Ghz bandwidth capable devices? I can't find any detailed info about them.

I have COX in Santa Barbara and I got the "above 860mhz" story line today. It looks like about 30 of the 120 or so available "1000 series" HD channels "REQUIRE" their newer rental HD STBs. I pay $15/mo for 9 channels of HBO and only get 2 channels in HD. What a load of crap.
The CableCARD is a decryption device, not a tuner. There is no such thing as a 1GHz capable CableCARD. Tuning limitations are dependent upon the device's tuner. The TiVoHD and Premiere both have a 1GHz tuner. Cox initially only set-up one account/billing code for the Whole Home DVR bundled with the Plus Package channels. According to a Cox San Diego employee, Cox California is in the process of setting up a second account/billing code for CableCARD users to receive these channels at no additional charge and not have to call in to activate the channels.
http://www.sandiegohdtv.org/forums/t...blecard?page=2

Old 12-06-2011, 04:18 AM   #2001
murraymh

Plus pack in San Diego

Just to let you all know that I am receiving the plus pack channels (DIY, Outdoor channel, Cooking channel) I subscribe to here in San Diego. Started getting them just days ago I believe. Can't be sure when since I was out of town for a while.

I have a Tivo HD.

So good news, but it's been close to a year since they originally introduced those channels...guess it was just more of cable co BS.
murraymh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:43 AM   #2002
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraymh View Post
...guess it was just more of cable co BS.
On the theory of never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence, let's not be too hasty to rule out "they don't really know what they're doing".

Old 12-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #2003
LynnL999

Well, today's the big day here in Orange County -- all of our HD channels switched from the 700's to the 1000's. I completed a TiVo lineup form about this last Tuesday and included a link to the PDF with the full new lineup.

This morning, all the channels have moved, and do indeed tune with the cable card + TA, but no lineup update from TiVo. I updated my lineup ticket, but haven't heard anything back. This is impacting every TiVo user in my area, so I really hope we see the update later today. I was sure there would be issues with this, but I thought they would be on Cox's side, not TiVo's.

BTW, with regard to the employee in SD who says we should be able to get the "plus pak" channels, I still can't get any of the extra HBO, Showtime or Starz channels that are plus pak only.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #2004
Kennyg

Quote:
all of our HD channels switched from the 700's to the 1000's.
Until the Tivo programming changes, none of our scheduled recordings will take place (well. they will, but on the old channels).

Not having any problems receiving Premium programming, Showtime is working find.

Kenny
Kennyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #2005
LynnL999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyg View Post
Until the Tivo programming changes, none of our scheduled recordings will take place (well. they will, but on the old channels).
Right. I was scheduled to record part 2 of "Neverland" this afternoon, so I set a manual recording before I left. I'll do the same for tonight's programming if there's no update by the time I get home.

Quote:
Not having any problems receiving Premium programming, Showtime is working find.
Showtime East and West HD worked for me too, but none of the "plus pak" additional channels such as 1242.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #2006
Holazola

Quote:
The CableCARD is a decryption device, not a tuner. There is no such thing as a 1GHz capable CableCARD. Tuning limitations are dependent upon the device's tuner. The TiVoHD and Premiere both have a 1GHz tuner. Cox initially only set-up one account/billing code for the Whole Home DVR bundled with the Plus Package channels. According to a Cox San Diego employee, Cox California is in the process of setting up a second account/billing code for CableCARD users to receive these channels at no additional charge and not have to call in to activate the channels.
(snip)
Thanks CoxInPHX! yeah I guess they aren't in the RF path after all. Here's another set of crossed fingers on the progress with the additional account/billing code.

Lynn, we have had both the 700's and the 1000's active in Santa Barbara for a few weeks. I just received a separate mailer yesterday stating they will be moving the starting December 13. Did your 700's go away already?

Included in the mailer was a revised channel lineup that now tags *all* the HBO & Cinemax channels as needing the cox STB/DVR. I'm pretty sure (and hoping) that's in error, as I can currently receive 1300 & 1301 HBOs. Showtime, Starz, and TMC still have at least one channel each not tagged on the guide. Go figure.
Holazola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #2007
pmrowley

Quote:
Well, today's the big day here in Orange County -- all of our HD channels switched from the 700's to the 1000's. I completed a TiVo lineup form about this last Tuesday and included a link to the PDF with the full new lineup.

This morning, all the channels have moved, and do indeed tune with the cable card + TA, but no lineup update from TiVo. I updated my lineup ticket, but haven't heard anything back. This is impacting every TiVo user in my area, so I really hope we see the update later today. I was sure there would be issues with this, but I thought they would be on Cox's side, not TiVo's.

BTW, with regard to the employee in SD who says we should be able to get the "plus pak" channels, I still can't get any of the extra HBO, Showtime or Starz channels that are plus pak only.
Would contacting Tivo help get us updated in any way? Missed my noon recording of Neverland, and now the wife is starting to get worried about the evening shows, with all of the Christmas stuff airing now. I've tried to update twice, but haven't seen the lineup change yet.
pmrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #2008
LynnL999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holazola View Post
Lynn, we have had both the 700's and the 1000's active in Santa Barbara for a few weeks. I just received a separate mailer yesterday stating they will be moving the starting December 13. Did your 700's go away already?
Yes. They apparently started mirroring a couple of weeks ago for those using their own box, but I wasn't able to tune any of the 1000's (except a very few added weeks ago) on the TiVo until this morning. And this morning all the 700's were gone, with a screen up saying "this channel has moved to the 1000's, for example, channel 4 is 1004." So there was no overlap at all for us TiVo users.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #2009
pmrowley

They said that the lineup change was reported to the provider last Thursday, and it'll probably take until this Thursday to be completed; the guide provider is working with Cox currently, whatever that means.

Very annoying...
pmrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #2010
LynnL999

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrowley View Post
They said that the lineup change was reported to the provider last Thursday, and it'll probably take until this Thursday to be completed; the guide provider is working with Cox currently, whatever that means.
Just so you guys know, I filled out the lineup change form on TiVo last Tuesday.

Anyway. I have been twittering like a madwoman today, and I finally have TiVo VP Margret and one of the Cox reps speaking to each other, so maybe that will move things along a bit.

It just seems unbelievable to me that this is really so difficult.