TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #361
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post

When they introduced SDV did they take away some of the channels that were previously available as digital channels via the cable cards, or just introduce some new, available via SDV only, channels that you also want?

(I'm currently on TWC analog cable and trying to find out how I'm going to get screwed in the future)
I know they added Speed and Versus to the "HD" lineup, while retaining them on the original digital numbers. Later added spike, travel, usa, etc...
Then Speed and Versus both went SDV for HD this last June. The digital offerings were still working without SDV, as I used them as backup recordings for both previously mentioned stations.

The only analog channels that are viewed are locals and nickelodeon. Don't know about the rest.
The Titan TV listing for torrance t/w indicates a full set from ch15 up to ch99. But I know for certain that 49, the weather ch, does not tune on any of my analog tuners.

And again; the problem with running out of guide data started after tuning adapter, with standard size HDD. And continues to happen with 2TB dvr_dude upgrade.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #362
Teeps

I would like to report that the GC routine runs every other day with the t/a power disconnected (via Ace Hardware lamp timer) between 0100 and 0400 hrs daily.

The last two GC reports are in the 0300 hour range.

To those that have been snooping at the logs: is the GC time reported on system info the start time of the routine, or the finish time?
Old 11-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #363
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
I know they added Speed and Versus to the "HD" lineup, while retaining them on the original digital numbers. Later added spike, travel, usa, etc...
Then Speed and Versus both went SDV for HD this last June. The digital offerings were still working without SDV, as I used them as backup recordings for both previously mentioned stations.

The only analog channels that are viewed are locals and nickelodeon. Don't know about the rest.
The Titan TV listing for torrance t/w indicates a full set from ch15 up to ch99. But I know for certain that 49, the weather ch, does not tune on any of my analog tuners.

And again; the problem with running out of guide data started after tuning adapter, with standard size HDD. And continues to happen with 2TB dvr_dude upgrade.
You don't happen to know if dvr_dude gave you a bigger than stock swap partition, do you?
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #364
Teeps

Quote:
You don't happen to know if dvr_dude gave you a bigger than stock swap partition, do you?
No I do not.
He provides no documentation...

I just sent him an email.

Last edited by Teeps : 11-06-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #365
tootal2

My tivo hd fix itself last night
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #366
DougJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
My tivo hd fix itself last night
My S3 OLED did a GC yesterday afternoon with the TA powered on.
-- Doug
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #367
Eccles
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by denispelletier

Similar thing with my TiVo. It started updating GC regularly for about ten days and now it has not done it since Oct 29.
Likewise, mine has been humming along for several weeks after doing the lineup fix, but just the other day I started to see the familiar guide data warning, and checking the GC date shows October 29th. Odd that several of us all have problems dating to around Halloween. :spooky:

Actually, I suspect that my troubles may have been precipitated by my dear wife, who recently complained that she didn't have enough cooking and food shows to watch, and proceeded to add about a dozen new SPs. I'm sure that must have both added to the amount of work required during GC and reduced the amount of idle time available.
150-hour Premiere XL (Lifetime)
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #368
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccles View Post
Likewise, mine has been humming along for several weeks after doing the lineup fix, but just the other day I started to see the familiar guide data warning, and checking the GC date shows October 29th. Odd that several of us all have problems dating to around Halloween. :spooky:

Actually, I suspect that my troubles may have been precipitated by my dear wife, who recently complained that she didn't have enough cooking and food shows to watch, and proceeded to add about a dozen new SPs. I'm sure that must have both added to the amount of work required during GC and reduced the amount of idle time available.
Interesting thought. I have a little over 50 SP's. Probably takes a while to go through those.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #369
Eccles
Mostly harmless

I cleaned out Recently Deleted and tried blocking my HD's Internet access, but the GC date didn't move. Tried unplugging and reconnecting the TA a couple of tiles; still no-go. Today I unplugged it, triggered a connection, and left it unplugged for about four hours. When I returned, GC had completed about two hours into that window. I have no idea whether it was already running and just happened to complete at that time, or if leaving the TA off was the key, but I'm up and running again.
150-hour Premiere XL (Lifetime)
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:32 AM   #370
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccles View Post
I cleaned out Recently Deleted and tried blocking my HD's Internet access, but the GC date didn't move. Tried unplugging and reconnecting the TA a couple of tiles; still no-go. Today I unplugged it, triggered a connection, and left it unplugged for about four hours. When I returned, GC had completed about two hours into that window. I have no idea whether it was already running and just happened to complete at that time, or if leaving the TA off was the key, but I'm up and running again.
Based on our collective experience, I can pretty well guarantee you that it was no coincidence that the GC triggered. The unplugging of the TA caused the GC.

So if you want the GC to update on a regular basis, you may want to consider putting the TA on a timer. If you haven't done so, read posts 333-336 for tips and cautions about using a timer.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #371
trackie999

System Info screen reports completion date & time.

When GC & index kicks off, Indexing runs first in 30-60 mins, when completed Indexing date & time gets updated. (This should give you a clue that GC has started) After this sweeping/GC is taking place for next x hours.

If you subtract the time between the 2 dates & times, you can figure out how long garbage collection portion takes for your Tivo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
I would like to report that the GC routine runs every other day with the t/a power disconnected (via Ace Hardware lamp timer) between 0100 and 0400 hrs daily.

The last two GC reports are in the 0300 hour range.

To those that have been snooping at the logs: is the GC time reported on system info the start time of the routine, or the finish time?

trackie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #372
trackie999

I was out of town for about 10 days and left 2 of my Tivos with Tuning Adapters connected but powered off via front panel button.

Based on the logs, vast majority of GC attempts have successfully completed on both units. (There were a couple interrupted by daily calls)
These 2 Tivos are now also recording suggestions, one has 47 and the other one has 51 suggestions recorded. As I pointed out in previous posts, TA is also blocking the scheduling of suggestions in addition to GC not taking place.

When I checked my 3rd Tivo, its GC date is stuck on October 25th. I just powered TA off via front button about 20 minutes ago and indexing date already updated . I'm gonna wait a couple of hours to see how long before GC date updates...
Edit: 3:30 hours later GC completed... (How much more proof does Tivo need than this?!?!)

*** Correction: There are Index only runs of dbgc that only causes indexing date to change. Theses happen may be every other day. I don't really see a pattern...

I uploaded dbgc results from my log file. If you check, you can see there are index only dbgc runs and index & GC runs...
Attached Files
File Type: txt 107-dbgcOutcome.txt (11.8 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by trackie999 : 11-08-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #373
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackie999 View Post
System Info screen reports completion date & time.

When GC & index kicks off, Indexing runs first in 30-60 mins, when completed Indexing date & time gets updated. (This should give you a clue that GC has started) After this sweeping/GC is taking place for next x hours.

If you subtract the time between the 2 dates & times, you can figure out how long garbage collection portion takes for your Tivo...
Thanks for that info. I have been noticing that the index is just before the GC. I did have one time, just this last weekend, where that did not happen. In that case there had been an index a couple of hours before the power down and it did not index again, it just went ahead and did the GC. Maybe a GC was in progress at the time and it just continued??
Old 11-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #374
trackie999

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
Thanks for that info. I have been noticing that the index is just before the GC. I did have one time, just this last weekend, where that did not happen. In that case there had been an index a couple of hours before the power down and it did not index again, it just went ahead and did the GC. Maybe a GC was in progress at the time and it just continued??
I corrected my post to indicate that there are index only runs. Please see 2 posts above
Old 11-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #375
WO312

Quote:
I corrected my post to indicate that there are index only runs. Please see 2 posts above
Correct. I have seen many times where there was an index but no GC. But this weekend was the first time I had seen a GC but no index between the power down of the TA and the GC.

In other words, normal sequence is power down, Index, GC. But this one time, it was index, power down, GC. I am just speculating that since the index had been an hour or so before the power down, maybe Tivo did not need to index again. Or maybe there was a GC already happening and it just continued and the power down allowed it to finish.

Just mentioning a curiosity, that's all. Not looking for an explanation.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #376
trackie999

Are you guys getting this update? I am still stuck on 1402 and am wondering if this is resolving this issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pninen View Post
I just got a tuning adapter s/w update. 11/2/2011 2:36AM, San Diego Time Warner.

Before
TiVo s/w 11.Ok-01-2-648
Tuning Adapter s/w
PTV OS: Explorer1kg6 NGP OS
Flash: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1402
App(s): SARA v1.61.41.a201

After:
PTV OS: Explorer 1kg6 NGP OS
Flash: STA1.00_1520_LR_F.1501
App(s): SARA v1.61.41.a202

Both flash and app changed. Let us pray.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #377
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

I decided to contact tivo chat again, and after explaining everything I've gone through (rebooting, rebooting no longer works, channel line up switch, etc.) his suggestion was the Clear and Delete option. Ugh. So fine, I will try that. I did tell him I'd be back shortly to tell him it didn't work, and even if it did work, that was NOT a solution for the long-term. He basically said I had to try this before they could troubleshoot further.

MY GOD THIS IS FRUSTRATING.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #378
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
I decided to contact tivo chat again, and after explaining everything I've gone through (rebooting, rebooting no longer works, channel line up switch, etc.) his suggestion was the Clear and Delete option. Ugh. So fine, I will try that. I did tell him I'd be back shortly to tell him it didn't work, and even if it did work, that was NOT a solution for the long-term. He basically said I had to try this before they could troubleshoot further.

MY GOD THIS IS FRUSTRATING.
Personally, I would not do this. I have been down that path and it is frustrating. We have proven techniques that will work that involve powering down the TA for a few hours.

Are you going to do this because you think Tivo is going to help you?? I hate to burst your bubble, but that will not happen here. They are just reading off a script and when you call them back you will get no relief. Others have gone down that path to no avail.

But good luck anyway if you decide to clear and delete.

Edit: I hate to sound pessimistic, but Tivo has beaten it into me. I sincerely hope I am wrong.

Last edited by WO312 : 11-08-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #379
WO312

Quote:
Are you guys getting this update? I am still stuck on 1402 and am wondering if this is resolving this issue?
I checked about the middle of last week and I have been updated to the new versions. Don't know how long I had them, but since as of last Friday evening I was still not getting GC updates, I put a timer on my TA and that is what I am doing now.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #380
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312
Personally, I would not do this. I have been down that path and it is frustrating. We have proven techniques that will work that involve powering down the TA for a few hours.

Are you going to do this because you think Tivo is going to help you?? I hate to burst your bubble, but that will not happen here. They are just reading off a script and when you call them back you will get no relief. Others have gone down that path to no avail.

But good luck anyway if you decide to clear and delete.

Edit: I hate to sound pessimistic, but Tivo has beaten it into me. I sincerely hope I am wrong.
I haven't done it yet. I tried a reboot just in case it worked and then connected (since we've had it unplugged from the net for 24 hours). I am definitely willing to try the suggestions here, we just haven't gotten to them yet (aside from unplugging the tivo yesterday). I connected and it's loading now, so we'll see.

No, I don't think TiVo is really going to help me, but as has been mentioned earlier in this thread, we all need to contact them about this--so I wanted to let them know this is a repeatable issue for me that a simple reboot doesn't fix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #381
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
I haven't done it yet. I tried a reboot just in case it worked and then connected (since we've had it unplugged from the net for 24 hours). I am definitely willing to try the suggestions here, we just haven't gotten to them yet (aside from unplugging the tivo yesterday). I connected and it's loading now, so we'll see.

No, I don't think TiVo is really going to help me, but as has been mentioned earlier in this thread, we all need to contact them about this--so I wanted to let them know this is a repeatable issue for me that a simple reboot doesn't fix.
What size is your hard drive and what size is your swap partition?
Old 11-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #382
WO312

Quote:
Hardly anybody knows the size of their swap file.

FYI, if you are thinking that a larger swap file will fix the problem, I don't think it will. Here is what trackie999 had to say in post #271:

"I did a test over the last 5 days experimenting with a 2.5GB swap partition to see if that allows GC to run any faster. Well, I am sorry to say it does not make a difference...

There were a total of 19 dbgc attempts over the last 5 days and all of them ended with eMfsTooFast exit code. Majority of the attempts aborted within 30 minutes with a few almost making it to an hour and 1 or 2 running for a couple hours.

There is one very interesting thing I noticed. dbgc always gives up seconds after the hour or half hour. For example: "
Old 11-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #383
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron

Not sure what size original drive--either 500GB or 1 TB with a 1TB extender. No idea on swap partition.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #384
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
Hardly anybody knows the size of their swap file.
I know the size of mine 'cause I'm driving myself nuts trying to figure out how to increase it and use jmfs.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #385
trackie999

Tivo's default swap size is 128 Mbyte. WinMFS also defaults to 128 Mbytes, although it gives you the option to change it...

I still have 1 Tivo running with a 2.5Gbyte swap and it makes absolutely no difference. I checked memory usage many-many times and I have never seen more than 10 Mbytes of cached data in swap.

Quote:
I know the size of mine 'cause I'm driving myself nuts trying to figure out how to increase it and use jmfs.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #386
unitron

Quote:
Tivo's default swap size is 128 Mbyte. WinMFS also defaults to 128 Mbytes, although it gives you the option to change it...

I still have 1 Tivo running with a 2.5Gbyte swap and it makes absolutely no difference. I checked memory usage many-many times and I have never seen more than 10 Mbytes of cached data in swap.
Default swap partition size depends on the model. The HD is, indeed, 128MB.

As I understand it, TiVo uses the swap partition if it gets in trouble and you have to run one of the Kickstarts to straighten things out, and if you've got a larger than stock drive, it might need more swap than stock.

You can copy the stock drive to a larger one with either WinMFS or the MFS Live cd and both offer an option to choose a different swap partition size.

Problem is, even if you also expand, adding 2 more MFS partitions, there always seems to be some left over space at the end of the drive, and that gets written to the Apple Partition Map as an Apple Free partition.

jmfs thinks that is a real partition and adds the one partition it adds after it, which apparently makes the TiVo unable to see it.

The only solution I've been able to think of so far is to get another 160GB drive with a few more LBA than the stock WD drive (maybe a Maxtor would work, they've got an 80GB that's a little bit bigger than the WD 80's), and copy with as big a swap as it'll let you so as to fill the drive and eliminate the Apple Free partition, and then use jmfs to copy that drive to a 1 or 2TB and expand.

I tried copying the original 160GB WD to a 200GB Maxtor I have on hand, setting the swap to about 40GB, just to see if I could get rid of the Apple Free, and I tried doing it with a 1GB swap and expanding, but even adjusting the swap size 1MB at a time, I could never find the magic combination that gave me a drive without an Apple Free partition on the end.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #387
[NG]Owner

It seems that the block Internet access solution doesn't work for me anymore.

Internet access is shut down for 48 hours at a stretch, and GC will not complete.

So I powered down the TA (via its power button) and will turn it back on once I verify that GC has updated.

Interestingly enough, I have two identical TivoHDs. One has this problem, one does not. Odd.

[NG]Owner
[NG]Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #388
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by [NG]Owner View Post
It seems that the block Internet access solution doesn't work for me anymore.

Internet access is shut down for 48 hours at a stretch, and GC will not complete.

So I powered down the TA (via its power button) and will turn it back on once I verify that GC has updated.

Interestingly enough, I have two identical TivoHDs. One has this problem, one does not. Odd.

[NG]Owner
Are they identical identical? Same brand, model, size hard drive running same version of firmware? Same size partitions on both?

Is the heat sink on the power supply the same color on both? (okay, that shouldn't affect the GC problem, I'm just wondering how many different versions of the HD power supply there are).
Old 11-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #389
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

AND THE FUN CONTINUES!

So I did the reboot, connected back to the internet, and initiated a connection. After 9+ hours it's still stuck on "Loading (Setting Clock)" and the System Information page looks scary, with most info missing and my Account Type listed as C:120311 (which I assume means a month to month account? I've always had lifetime). So I'm rebooting again, have disconnected the TA, and will initiate another connection.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #390
[NG]Owner

Quote:
Are they identical identical? Same brand, model, size hard drive running same version of firmware? Same size partitions on both?

Is the heat sink on the power supply the same color on both? (okay, that shouldn't affect the GC problem, I'm just wondering how many different versions of the HD power supply there are).
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and I don't know. Heatsink color? Really? No f-ing clue. Nothing struck me as out of the ordinary 18 months ago when I performed the upgrade. And I'm not about to crack open the boxes to look now!

The power button on the TA did its job. After about two and a half hours of the TA being off (Internet was available that whole time), GC updated. No more warning messages about guide data running out!

[NG]Owner
[NG]Owner is offline   Reply With Quote