TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-03-2011, 12:25 AM   #331
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryjamison View Post
last week, after unplugging the TA a second time, the TiVo is now GCing on its own. How long it will last, time will tell.
While just doing the power button works well, it hasn't caused the GC to update by itself. I think I will try a power disconnect a few times and see if I can get the same effect as you
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:09 AM   #332
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Well, that was nice the less than two $&@*%# weeks it lasted.

My GC updated for a few days after my whole 2-day zip code/channel line up "fix" and now it's stuck back on 10/25 and my program data is scheduled to run out on 11/11. WTF!? I had a successful connection yesterday with no error messages.

I need to bookmark the suggested easy fixes so I don't have to read the whole thread again. Do I just unplug the TA and do a service call?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #333
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
Do I just unplug the TA and do a service call?

I put the t/a on a ($10 Ace Hardware) lamp timer to cut the power starting at 0100hrs then turn power on at 0400hrs. GC updates without a forced service call every other day.

Note: on my setup with the t/a powered down. TiVo cannot tune any channels.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #334
denispelletier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
Well, that was nice the less than two $&@*%# weeks it lasted.

My GC updated for a few days after my whole 2-day zip code/channel line up "fix" and now it's stuck back on 10/25 and my program data is scheduled to run out on 11/11. WTF!? I had a successful connection yesterday with no error messages.
Similar thing with my TiVo. It started updating GC regularly for about ten days and now it has not done it since Oct 29.
denispelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #335
DougJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
I put the t/a on a ($10 Ace Hardware) lamp timer to cut the power starting at 0100hrs then turn power on at 0400hrs. GC updates without a forced service call every other day.

Note: on my setup with the t/a powered down. TiVo cannot tune any channels.
I've been doing this for two weeks now and the GC and guide data updates are all working fine. It will even update guide data with the TA powered off. My timer is set to turn the TA off at 4am and on at 8am. It may be possible to shorten that, but I suspect 3 hours is about the minimum.

The downsides:
1) You get a screen saying the Tuning Adapter has been connected the first time you watch TiVo everyday. Just hit "continue" and move on. The screen doesn't interfere with recording.

2) Any recording you have going on when the TA is turned off is interrupted and does not resume. On my setup, SDV channels will not record with the TA off, but non-SDV channels will. Pick your TA off and on times when there is nothing important on your To Do list.

3) My wife and I would pause a show and go to bed, then resume it the next evening. Now TiVo forgets where it was paused. Now, I have to careful to pause it and return to the "Now Showing" list. Then it will remember.

OLED S3, 1 TB, Motorola TA on Time Warner.

-- Doug
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #336
WO312

Just to add to the above comments:

- Whether or not your Tivo will record with the TA off depends on how you have the incoming coax cable connected. If your cable goes into the TA, then from the TA to the Tivo, the Tivo will NOT record anything with the TA disconnected. If you have your coax split, and one leg goes to the TA, and the other leg goes to the Tivo, then the Tivo WILL record non-SDV channels, but not SDV channels. Be aware - some plain old digital but non-HD channels may be SDV. I have at least 2 that I know of here, which really ticks me off. I can't believe they are saving THAT much bandwidth with a non-HD channel. I could actually live without a TA entirely if it wasn't for that.

- Be aware that when you re-connect the TA, any recordings going on at the time will be stopped, will NOT resume, both buffers are flushed, and both tuners will be on the same channel. This same behavior also happens when you disconnect the TA.

So, it is best to pick about 4 hours when there will be no recording activity either when you disconnect or re-connect. You can record in between time if your coax is set up as described, and the channel is non-SDV.

Gee, isn't it fun to own a Tivo at this point in time ?
Old 11-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #337
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post

Gee, isn't it fun to own a Tivo at this point in time ?
The cable companies (otherwise known as Satan's henchmen) sure are trying to make it that way.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #338
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The cable companies (otherwise known as Satan's henchmen) sure are trying to make it that way.
It might help if TiVo would acknowledge that the insertion of a t/a is causing "our" problem with GC and subsequent Guide Data running out.

More people need to make TiVo aware of the problem.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #339
DougJohnson

Quote:
It might help if TiVo would acknowledge that the insertion of a t/a is causing "our" problem with GC and subsequent Guide Data running out.

More people need to make TiVo aware of the problem.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that the problem only happens to TiVos with unsupported hard drive upgrades. That would make it our problem and not TiVo's. That said, TiVo historically has been fairly tolerant of such upgrades.

My guess is that they are well aware of it and it wouldn't surprise me if a fix appeared in the next update.
-- Doug
Old 11-04-2011, 11:27 PM   #340
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJohnson View Post
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that the problem only happens to TiVos with unsupported hard drive upgrades. That would make it our problem and not TiVo's. That said, TiVo historically has been fairly tolerant of such upgrades.

My guess is that they are well aware of it and it wouldn't surprise me if a fix appeared in the next update.
-- Doug
I have a vague recollection of being surprised that someone in this thread was having the problem with a standard Tivo HD, but I don't feel like searching.

I'm not convinced there will be any more updates for Series 3 hardware. I hope I'm wrong, but Tivo can hardly keep up with Premiere software development, let alone fix Series 3 problems.

I'm the type of person that would normally be very interested in the new 4-tuner Premiere Elite, but this experience is leaving me very leery of getting one.

Anybody know if Premieres are having this problem?? Not that I would get one if they were problem-free, but it might point to a Tivo software issue.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:54 AM   #341
tootal2

This problem just started again for me, this is depressing. it has been working fine for months

Quote:
I have a vague recollection of being surprised that someone in this thread was having the problem with a standard Tivo HD, but I don't feel like searching.

I'm not convinced there will be any more updates for Series 3 hardware. I hope I'm wrong, but Tivo can hardly keep up with Premiere software development, let alone fix Series 3 problems.

I'm the type of person that would normally be very interested in the new 4-tuner Premiere Elite, but this experience is leaving me very leery of getting one.

Anybody know if Premieres are having this problem?? Not that I would get one if they were problem-free, but it might point to a Tivo software issue.

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #342
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
This problem just started again for me, this is depressing. it has been working fine for months
I hear you.

After messing around with all the fixes, I'm finally convinced that the best thing to do is to just put it on a 4 hour timer. I finally did it to my Tivo last night before I went to bed. Hard to tell exactly when the power was cut because with mechanical timers you just can't tell, but I set it for approximately 4:30 A.M. and the GC happened at 6:53 A.M.

I'm just going to leave it this way. If the TA fails because of constant power cycling, I'll just return it for a new one.

Tivo, you've exhausted my patience.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #343
Teeps

Quote:
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that the problem only happens to TiVos with unsupported hard drive upgrades.
-- Doug

This problem started happening to my S3, a couple of weeks after Time Warner (Torrance), turned on SDV at the end of June, 2011. Thus forcing the insertion of their Tuning Adapter.

At that time my S3 had the standard 250GB hdd with 1TB extender.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #344
tootal2

I thinking of buy a cable card adapter for my windows 7 computer and using it as a dvr. windows media center is kind of good. but has no live buffers and uses more power. But i have my computer set to hibernate when its not recording shows

Quote:
I hear you.

After messing around with all the fixes, I'm finally convinced that the best thing to do is to just put it on a 4 hour timer. I finally did it to my Tivo last night before I went to bed. Hard to tell exactly when the power was cut because with mechanical timers you just can't tell, but I set it for approximately 4:30 A.M. and the GC happened at 6:53 A.M.

I'm just going to leave it this way. If the TA fails because of constant power cycling, I'll just return it for a new one.

Tivo, you've exhausted my patience.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #345
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
I thinking of buy a cable card adapter for my windows 7 computer and using it as a dvr. windows media center is kind of good. but has no live buffers and uses more power. But i have my computer set to hibernate when its not recording shows
That's certainly is an option, but I do have to ask - can you connect a TA to an HTPC?? I have no idea. If you cannot, then there is no advantage - you may as well run the Tivo w/o the TA. If you can connect a TA, then all should be good. I guess it all depends on whether Windows Media Center is programmed to communicate with a TA.

Also, you would want to get an adapter that accepts cable cards. Otherwise, all you will get in HD will be the local network stations. And if that's all you're going to get, then might as well stay with the Tivo.

In my setup, I have a single tuner Series 2, a dual tuner Series 2, a Tivo HD, a TWC HD, and an HTPC. Overkill, I know. My main machine is the Tivo HD. I use the TWC HD for HD SDV channels because that is more reliable than the Tivo for tuning the SDV channels. The others are just for backup in case something doesn't record, and for obscure shows that conflict with my main recording. By far, my favorite is the Tivo HD. Too bad we have the TA problem.

My HTPC is very reliable on recording local HD network shows, and it automatically pads by a couple of minutes on both sides of the recordings. But boy, the Windows 7 Media Center interface is clunky, so I hardly ever watch shows on the HTPC.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:37 PM   #346
tootal2

the tuning adaptor does work with windows media center. I think you only need one for all 4 tuners. Dont know if i will buy one yet. I just wish tivo will fix this problem. I do have 5 tb of drive space on my desktop with room for a lot more.

http://cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv-4-usb/

Quote:
That's certainly is an option, but I do have to ask - can you connect a TA to an HTPC?? I have no idea. If you cannot, then there is no advantage - you may as well run the Tivo w/o the TA. If you can connect a TA, then all should be good. I guess it all depends on whether Windows Media Center is programmed to communicate with a TA.

Also, you would want to get an adapter that accepts cable cards. Otherwise, all you will get in HD will be the local network stations. And if that's all you're going to get, then might as well stay with the Tivo.

In my setup, I have a single tuner Series 2, a dual tuner Series 2, a Tivo HD, a TWC HD, and an HTPC. Overkill, I know. My main machine is the Tivo HD. I use the TWC HD for HD SDV channels because that is more reliable than the Tivo for tuning the SDV channels. The others are just for backup in case something doesn't record, and for obscure shows that conflict with my main recording. By far, my favorite is the Tivo HD. Too bad we have the TA problem.

My HTPC is very reliable on recording local HD network shows, and it automatically pads by a couple of minutes on both sides of the recordings. But boy, the Windows 7 Media Center interface is clunky, so I hardly ever watch shows on the HTPC.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #347
unitron

Quote:
This problem started happening to my S3, a couple of weeks after Time Warner (Torrance), turned on SDV at the end of June, 2011. Thus forcing the insertion of their Tuning Adapter.

Did you have cable cards in that S3 and were you getting digital cable prior to the imposition of SDV?

Old 11-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #348
DougJohnson

Quote:

Sometimes, it is nice to be wrong. This makes our problem TiVo's problem.
-- Doug
Old 11-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #349
Teeps

Quote:
Did you have cable cards in that S3 and were you getting digital cable prior to the imposition of SDV?
Yes.
The main reason I got the S3 was the fact that it would tune and record "Speed" and "Versus" channels. Which were only offered on digital tier cable.

Also the same cable cards (2) have been in play from the beginning (2007 if I remember.) Never had a problem with running out of guide data until July 2011. Curiously enough, it started about 2 weeks after the Tuning Adapter was installed.

The lamp timer solution, so far has been the easiest way to deal with the problem. For me.

I want to get a premier elite. But, it appears that they have some problems too... So I will wait until, sometime, next year before considering a purchase.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #350
unitron

Quote:
Yes.
The main reason I got the S3 was the fact that it would tune and record "Speed" and "Versus" channels. Which were only offered on digital tier cable.

Also the same cable cards (2) have been in play from the beginning (2007 if I remember.) Never had a problem with running out of guide data until July 2011. Curiously enough, it started about 2 weeks after the Tuning Adapter was installed.

The lamp timer solution, so far has been the easiest way to deal with the problem. For me.

I want to get a premier elite. But, it appears that they have some problems too... So I will wait until, sometime, next year before considering a purchase.
Okay, so you got the S3 and subscribed to digital cable and got cable cards in order to get the channels you want.

When they introduced SDV did they take away some of the channels that were previously available as digital channels via the cable cards, or just introduce some new, available via SDV only, channels that you also want?

(I'm currently on TWC analog cable and trying to find out how I'm going to get screwed in the future)

Old 11-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #351
DougJohnson

Quote:
Okay, so you got the S3 and subscribed to digital cable and got cable cards in order to get the channels you want.

When they introduced SDV did they take away some of the channels that were previously available as digital channels via the cable cards, or just introduce some new, available via SDV only, channels that you also want?

(I'm currently on TWC analog cable and trying to find out how I'm going to get screwed in the future)
For me, on TWC in Dallas, they did both. They moved a bunch of channels to SDV and added a bunch of new channels. I got the TA in June of '10 and until early October of this year, it just worked. No problems of any kind.

Then I started getting the guide data problem we have been talking about. I'm fairly certain that the TA is just an innocent bystander. I think it's a TiVo software bug triggered by the TA which is just doing its TA thing.

-- Doug
Old 11-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #352
unitron

Quote:
For me, on TWC in Dallas, they did both. They moved a bunch of channels to SDV and added a bunch of new channels. I got the TA in June of '10 and until early October of this year, it just worked. No problems of any kind.

Then I started getting the guide data problem we have been talking about. I'm fairly certain that the TA is just an innocent bystander. I think it's a TiVo software bug triggered by the TA which is just doing its TA thing.

-- Doug

What size is your swap partiton? The way it came from the factory or bigger?

Old 11-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #353
DougJohnson

Quote:
What size is your swap partiton? The way it came from the factory or bigger?
Whatever winMFS made when I upgraded to the 1TB drive. Which begs the question: "Why did I go over year without any problems?"

One possibility might be that we were out of town quite a bit through the summer and the drive got closer to full than it ever had.

-- Doug
Old 11-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #354
unitron

Quote:
Whatever winMFS made when I upgraded to the 1TB drive. Which begs the question: "Why did I go over year without any problems?"

One possibility might be that we were out of town quite a bit through the summer and the drive got closer to full than it ever had.

-- Doug
So you used WinMFS to copy your original 160GB (HD) or 250GB (original S3) to the 1TB drive and didn't use jmfs at all?

Did you just expand or did you also supersize?

Old 11-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #355
DougJohnson

Quote:
So you used WinMFS to copy your original 160GB (HD) or 250GB (original S3) to the 1TB drive and didn't use jmfs at all?

Did you just expand or did you also supersize?
I used winMFS to copy my 250GB to (I think) a 500GB. I'm pretty sure I supersized. That drive started going south after a couple of years, so I copied from the 500GB to the 1TB I am currently running. Again, I can't swear to it, but I probably supersized. -- Doug
Old 11-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #356
WO312

Quote:

I might be able to answer some of your questions, since you are semi-coastal Carolina, and I'm coastal Carolina.

I have TWC Eastern Carolina, which I'm assuming you do too. When they first introduced SDV, it was merely to add HD channels that were not previously available. Over time, they have added more HD channels, but they have also been switching other channels to SDV that you wouldn't expect. Case in point: the Travel Channel. They used to have it on analog cable. Then they switched it to digital only, then they added Travel Channel HD (maybe they did those at the same time, I don't remember). Well, the digital version is SDV, which blew my mind since I can't believe they are saving that much bandwidrth, and which screwed me when I missed some recordings I wanted when I was on a vacation and had disconnected the TA so I would get GC's. Last week I was on the digital (not HD) version of the CW network and a message came on the screen that said if I wanted to keep watching it I needed to hit "Select". So I have to assume that is also SDV. Many if not most of the non-network HD channels are SDV, like USA, SyFy, etc.

They keep adding really obscure channels, many HD, so I have to assume they are greatly expanding the use of SDV. Maybe someday I will call and see if I can get a listing of SDV channels.

So if you go digital, fully expect that you will need a TA, and you will have to put it on a timer.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #357
unitron

Quote:
I might be able to answer some of your questions, since you are semi-coastal Carolina, and I'm coastal Carolina.

I have TWC Eastern Carolina, which I'm assuming you do too. When they first introduced SDV, it was merely to add HD channels that were not previously available. Over time, they have added more HD channels, but they have also been switching other channels to SDV that you wouldn't expect. Case in point: the Travel Channel. They used to have it on analog cable. Then they switched it to digital only, then they added Travel Channel HD (maybe they did those at the same time, I don't remember). Well, the digital version is SDV, which blew my mind since I can't believe they are saving that much bandwidrth, and which screwed me when I missed some recordings I wanted when I was on a vacation and had disconnected the TA so I would get GC's. Last week I was on the digital (not HD) version of the CW network and a message came on the screen that said if I wanted to keep watching it I needed to hit "Select". So I have to assume that is also SDV. Many if not most of the non-network HD channels are SDV, like USA, SyFy, etc.

They keep adding really obscure channels, many HD, so I have to assume they are greatly expanding the use of SDV. Maybe someday I will call and see if I can get a listing of SDV channels.

So if you go digital, fully expect that you will need a TA, and you will have to put it on a timer.
Plan to avoid digital cable like the plague as long as possible, just like I plan to with HDMI/HDCP.

Just got an HD, but that was mainly to have an over the air tuner in the house for digital over the air, especially during hurricanes.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #358
WO312

To Unitron:

My history: I upgraded the 160GB to 500 GB using WinMFS and supersize. Then I upgraded to 1 TB, also with WinMFS and supersize. All that time everything working fine. The first week of April this year, I upgraded to 2TB using jmfs, but did not have to supersize to get the 318 hours of HD. But that is when my GC problem started. It seems like the upgrade to 2 TB triggered it, but since so many others have done the same with no problems, I'm at a loss to explain why I have the problem.

I finally got the S03 error, and I solved it with clear and delete everything but programs. Things ran fine for maybe a month and then the problems started again. I have since been fiddling with all the easier solutions, but last night finally decided to just go with the timer routine.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #359
unitron

Quote:
To Unitron:

My history: I upgraded the 160GB to 500 GB using WinMFS and supersize. Then I upgraded to 1 TB, also with WinMFS and supersize. All that time everything working fine. The first week of April this year, I upgraded to 2TB using jmfs, but did not have to supersize to get the 318 hours of HD. But that is when my GC problem started. It seems like the upgrade to 2 TB triggered it, but since so many others have done the same with no problems, I'm at a loss to explain why I have the problem.

I finally got the S03 error, and I solved it with clear and delete everything but programs. Things ran fine for maybe a month and then the problems started again. I have since been fiddling with all the easier solutions, but last night finally decided to just go with the timer routine.

What size is your swap partition?

Old 11-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #360
WO312

Quote:
What size is your swap partition?
???? Whatever those programs gave me. I don't remember ever taking anything other than the defaults. Maybe I changed it, I just don't remember.