TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #1501
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1273 View Post
I just returned to cable from two years with DirecTV. No problems with the service but my wife wanted TiVo again and Suddenlink now offers the HD programs that we enjoy.

I took my TiVo HD out of the closet (two years active and two years in the closet) and got service.

SS always 100 with no RS issues and 38 dB SNR. Pixeliation on several channels, loss of audio on some and the affected shannels growing by the day. Tried attenuators but no joy. Suddenlink checked system and saw no issues. I was ready to buy a Premiere but saw the Kickstart codes on this forum. I ran all of them and now, after four days, have had no issues with the TiVo.

I hope that this may help some of you.
Glad to hear things worked out. FWIW if you start seeing issues again I'd consider replacing the hard drive. I'm not sure which KS resolved the problem, but it was probably KS57 or KS58, both of which correct data corruption and if found, isolate bad sectors on the hard drive. It may have been a one-time thing (power failure, surge, signal, etc.) however if things start going south again it may be time for a new drive.

Enjoy your "new" TiVo!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:48 PM   #1502
chris98891
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6
HD Issues

Hey everybody, I think I've had enough.

I have a Tivo HD with a western digital expander and 2 motorola cable cards as well as a motorola SDV tuning adapter, all of this with Charter Cable.

I am having SEVERE pixelation and tiling on all of my local HD channels, as well as Comedy Central and TBS HD. The locals are unwatchable for most of the day, but are ok in the evening usually (but not tonight for some reason).

Charter has already been out once. They tested inside the house (all signals were great), outside of the house (still great) and at the main line (still great) and were perplexed. I have a supervisor coming out tomorrow to check it out.

What should i be looking for? Everything else runs fine, so I'm having a tough time being convinced its the hard drive. Should I try attenuation? Also, if I remember right, there may be a signal booster installed way back in the day in the crawlspace, should I remove that?

Thanks for any other help you can give!
chris98891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #1503
dwit
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris98891 View Post
Hey everybody, I think I've had enough.

I have a Tivo HD with a western digital expander and 2 motorola cable cards as well as a motorola SDV tuning adapter, all of this with Charter Cable.

I am having SEVERE pixelation and tiling on all of my local HD channels, as well as Comedy Central and TBS HD. The locals are unwatchable for most of the day, but are ok in the evening usually (but not tonight for some reason).

Charter has already been out once. They tested inside the house (all signals were great), outside of the house (still great) and at the main line (still great) and were perplexed. I have a supervisor coming out tomorrow to check it out.

What should i be looking for? Everything else runs fine, so I'm having a tough time being convinced its the hard drive. Should I try attenuation? Also, if I remember right, there may be a signal booster installed way back in the day in the crawlspace, should I remove that?

Thanks for any other help you can give!
Are you also set up for ota(over the air)? Do you get the same issues with ota HD?
__________________
Tivo HD Lifetime 1TB int, 1TB ext
Tivo 540040 400 GB Lifetime
Tivo S2DT 750 GB msd
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:12 PM   #1504
chris98891
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Are you also set up for ota(over the air)? Do you get the same issues with ota HD?
I'm not too sure how to check. The cable guy last time showed me that he could change around a couple wires and I'd lose most of my HDs and my locals would come in perfect, so I'd imagine the OTA HD works fine?

EDIT: There is a three way splitter between the wall, tuning adapter, and tivo. if i unscrew the tuning adapter from it, my picture improves significantly on some channels

Note: NBC<CBS<ABC as far as picture quality

Double EDIT:
Some more information, my RS Uncorrected and corrected: 0
SNR: 31dB, signal strength: 56

on a local channel that comes in decently:
RS uncorrected: low, 0-200
RS Corrected: high, easily passing 200,000
SNR: 27dB, signal strength 42

Last edited by chris98891 : 06-01-2011 at 11:28 PM.
chris98891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:32 PM   #1505
dwit
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris98891 View Post
I'm not too sure how to check. The cable guy last time showed me that he could change around a couple wires and I'd lose most of my HDs and my locals would come in perfect, so I'd imagine the OTA HD works fine?

EDIT: There is a three way splitter between the wall, tuning adapter, and tivo. if i unscrew the tuning adapter from it, my picture improves significantly on some channels

Note: NBC<CBS<ABC as far as picture quality
OTA essentially means do you have an antenna(indoor or outdoor) connected to the Tivo. On the back of the Tivo, the cable(from the cable company) is attatched to a aterminal, and right next to that is another "Antenna" terminal.

Assuming you are not set up for over the air. You would know it because there usually are a lot of different ota channels that you would have come across while flipping thru channels. This is all set up in the initial guided set up of the Tivo.

I was just wondering. I am having similar issues and I was pretty sure it was the cable, until I realized the same thing was happening with my ota channels, which of course, are not involved with the cable signals in any way.

That is just my case though. Yours could very well be the cable, but of course, a bad hard drive is a possibility.

Looks like you very well could have signal strength issues, after looking at the additional info.

Good luck.
__________________
Tivo HD Lifetime 1TB int, 1TB ext
Tivo 540040 400 GB Lifetime
Tivo S2DT 750 GB msd
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:19 AM   #1506
SCSIRAID
Registered User
 
SCSIRAID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris98891 View Post
I'm not too sure how to check. The cable guy last time showed me that he could change around a couple wires and I'd lose most of my HDs and my locals would come in perfect, so I'd imagine the OTA HD works fine?

EDIT: There is a three way splitter between the wall, tuning adapter, and tivo. if i unscrew the tuning adapter from it, my picture improves significantly on some channels

Note: NBC<CBS<ABC as far as picture quality

Double EDIT:
Some more information, my RS Uncorrected and corrected: 0
SNR: 31dB, signal strength: 56

on a local channel that comes in decently:
RS uncorrected: low, 0-200
RS Corrected: high, easily passing 200,000
SNR: 27dB, signal strength 42
Both of your SNR values are low. I would expect >33 for best results. I would look towards signal strength/quality as the cause. That 3 way splitter concerns me. You should verify that the TiVo is on the -3.5db leg of the splitter and not the -7db leg.

Where are the 3 outputs of that splitter going?
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #1507
chris98891
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Both of your SNR values are low. I would expect >33 for best results. I would look towards signal strength/quality as the cause. That 3 way splitter concerns me. You should verify that the TiVo is on the -3.5db leg of the splitter and not the -7db leg.

Where are the 3 outputs of that splitter going?
I was mistaken, its only a two way splitter. It comes in from the wall, there are two 3.5dB plugs, one goes to the tuning adapter, and one goes to the tivo. the tuning adapter is then connected to the tivo via USB

EDIT: had a breakthrough...some contractors hired by charter came out...and let me tell you...they were fantastic. he crawled through the crawlspace, climbed up the telephone poles in the back, and explored the attic diagnosing everything he could. he found an old splitter that we eliminated, and whatdya know, that -3.5dB was causing the issue. channels are perfectly clear

Last edited by chris98891 : 06-02-2011 at 06:24 PM.
chris98891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #1508
Phantom Gremlin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Tualatin, Oregon
Posts: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris98891 View Post
he found an old splitter that we eliminated, and whatdya know, that -3.5dB was causing the issue. channels are perfectly clear
It could be that the splitter was simply defective.

But don't assume that a non-defective splitter costs you exactly 3.5 dB (or anything even close). If you're e.g. now on an 860 MHz cable system and the old splitter was designed for 750 MHz (or even for 500 MHz), then at frequencies above what it was designed for the attenuation could have been much worse, 10 dB or even 20 dB.

What that means is *some* of your channels would have worked well, while others would have been almost totally unusable. And that probably was what you were seeing. You probably still have some *analog* channels at low frequencies, and those would get through just fine with the old splitter. But many cable systems put HD channels on high frequencies. E.g. around here Comcast puts them at 560 MHz up to about 800 MHz.

Around here, Verizon was much better than Comcast in terms of testing installed cable for signal strength characteristics. When I had FiOS installed, the guy had a portable meter which he used to check multiple frequencies at every single outlet. In contrast the Comcast guy didn't even have a meter with which to test signal strength.

Alas, things were too good to be true, Verizon sold us out to Frontier, and eventually I'll have to switch back to Comcast.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #1509
Breeze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 6
Hi guys,

I have an S3 with a WD extender and 2 S-Cards with Tuning adapter from Cablevision. I've had pixelation issues in the past that seems to have improved much in the last year (which I presumed was probably from a firmware update of the TA).

However, I still have occasional pixelation issues where the picture is garbled and I lose a couple of seconds of my program. This may happen once or twice during a 1 or 2 hour recorded program.

Can anyone tell me what most likely is causing this? Is this due to the S-Cards and I should switch to M cards? Or is it some other issue with my Tivo itself?
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:12 AM   #1510
SCSIRAID
Registered User
 
SCSIRAID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
Hi guys,

I have an S3 with a WD extender and 2 S-Cards with Tuning adapter from Cablevision. I've had pixelation issues in the past that seems to have improved much in the last year (which I presumed was probably from a firmware update of the TA).

However, I still have occasional pixelation issues where the picture is garbled and I lose a couple of seconds of my program. This may happen once or twice during a 1 or 2 hour recorded program.

Can anyone tell me what most likely is causing this? Is this due to the S-Cards and I should switch to M cards? Or is it some other issue with my Tivo itself?
It could be due to HDD or it could be due to cable signal quality. It could also be coming directly from the cable company (a breakup in the stream they receive from the provider).

To explore signal quality tune a live show. Go into DVR Diagnostics and look at the tuner stats for the channel number you have tuned. Look at Signal Strength, SNR and the RS Corrected and Uncorrected statistics. Signal strength should typically be between say -5 and +2... not hard and fast but just typical. SNR should be 34 or higher. RS Uncorrected should be 0 or a very low number. Nonzero RS Corrected is ok but if it is large or incrementing quickly then you have a clue that your signal sucks. Then go back to live TV and watch it. When you see a breakup jump back to DVR Diags and see if the RS Uncorrected number jumped up. If it did... the TiVo encountered uncorrectable errors in the stream that were very likely the cause of your pixelation.

DVR Extenders are notorious for causing problems... so as the previous poster indicated... HDD's can definitely cause this kind of problem too.

Do you have a second DVR... TiVo or Cablecompany POS... or have a neighbor with one? If so, record the same show between the two and then watch on your TiVo and note where the breakups are. If the other DVR has the breakup at the same place.... its the cableco's problem. Garbage In Garbage Out. This is much more common than you might think.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #1511
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
It could be due to HDD <snip>
Did you notice that the post is almost two months old? Not sure if he got it fixed or not and your info is certainly spot-on for anyone that happens by. However the thread was bumped by a spammer yesterday (post since deleted) and may be why it popped up on your radar. Just sayin'.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #1512
SCSIRAID
Registered User
 
SCSIRAID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Did you notice that the post is almost two months old? Not sure if he got it fixed or not and your info is certainly spot-on for anyone that happens by. However the thread was bumped by a spammer yesterday (post since deleted) and may be why it popped up on your radar. Just sayin'.
Ahhh... Nope, I didnt notice that. Thanks!
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #1513
Breeze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID

It could be due to HDD or it could be due to cable signal quality. It could also be coming directly from the cable company (a breakup in the stream they receive from the provider).

To explore signal quality tune a live show. Go into DVR Diagnostics and look at the tuner stats for the channel number you have tuned. Look at Signal Strength, SNR and the RS Corrected and Uncorrected statistics. Signal strength should typically be between say -5 and +2... not hard and fast but just typical. SNR should be 34 or higher. RS Uncorrected should be 0 or a very low number. Nonzero RS Corrected is ok but if it is large or incrementing quickly then you have a clue that your signal sucks. Then go back to live TV and watch it. When you see a breakup jump back to DVR Diags and see if the RS Uncorrected number jumped up. If it did... the TiVo encountered uncorrectable errors in the stream that were very likely the cause of your pixelation.

DVR Extenders are notorious for causing problems... so as the previous poster indicated... HDD's can definitely cause this kind of problem too.

Do you have a second DVR... TiVo or Cablecompany POS... or have a neighbor with one? If so, record the same show between the two and then watch on your TiVo and note where the breakups are. If the other DVR has the breakup at the same place.... its the cableco's problem. Garbage In Garbage Out. This is much more common than you might think.
Thanks SCSI. I was indeed still waiting for an answers.

My Signal strength, depending on channel, is anywhere from 80 to 100. You said it should be between -5 and +2??? I figured 100 was the best?

SNR is typically around 36 dB

RS uncorrected is typically 0

RS corrected is typically 0 or 2

I don't typically notice these issues during live TV. It seems to occur more on taped shows. Which leads me to believe that it was more likely an hdd or extender issue.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #1514
SCSIRAID
Registered User
 
SCSIRAID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
Thanks SCSI. I was indeed still waiting for an answers.

My Signal strength, depending on channel, is anywhere from 80 to 100. You said it should be between -5 and +2??? I figured 100 was the best?

SNR is typically around 36 dB

RS uncorrected is typically 0

RS corrected is typically 0 or 2

I don't typically notice these issues during live TV. It seems to occur more on taped shows. Which leads me to believe that it was more likely an hdd or extender issue.
The signal strength numbers I quoted are available in Tuning Adapter Diags. Sorry bout that..

The other numbers from DVR diags sound great.

As to recordings vs live... TiVo always plays out of the buffer on the HDD so there isnt much difference betweeen live and recording playback.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #1515
AVSman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 37
Pixelation with cablecards but NOT unencrypted QAM

Hi all,

We have a Series 3 using cablecards (Comcast cable in Seattle, WA). We bought it the first day it came out, so it’s over 5 years old. Over the past few weeks we’ve been getting more and more pixilated video/garbled audio. I followed TiVo’s HD pixilation diagnostic instructions, and I saw tons of RS Corrected and RS Uncorrected errors on each tuner when using cablecards (tens of thousands of errors).

Here are the troubleshooting steps I’ve gone through so far:

• Manually rebooted (unplugged, waited 15 seconds, plugged back in) – no change
• Got different cablecards from Comcast – no change
• Kickstart 57 – no change
• Kickstart 54 - All S.M.A.R.T. tests passed

I've noticed over the past year or two the occasional cablecard error. So, before I bothered checking wiring or swapping out coaxial cables, I thought, “I wonder if the problem occurs on unencrypted QAM?” I removed the cablecards, ran a channel scan, and the picture and sound are great – zero RS Corrected and RS Uncorrected errors on both tuners! This leads me to believe that some component in the cablecard pathway inside the TiVo is the problem, since a different set of cablecards had the same issue, and unencrypted QAM looks great.

Has anyone encountered this before? Is there a certain component that I could swap out from a working Series 3 (bought from eBay or Craigslist)? Our Series 3 has lifetime so I’d like to keep it working. I haven’t soldered anything in 20 years, but I’m willing to give it a try, if necessary.
AVSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #1516
SCSIRAID
Registered User
 
SCSIRAID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSman View Post
Hi all,

We have a Series 3 using cablecards (Comcast cable in Seattle, WA). We bought it the first day it came out, so its over 5 years old. Over the past few weeks weve been getting more and more pixilated video/garbled audio. I followed TiVos HD pixilation diagnostic instructions, and I saw tons of RS Corrected and RS Uncorrected errors on each tuner when using cablecards (tens of thousands of errors).

Here are the troubleshooting steps Ive gone through so far:

Manually rebooted (unplugged, waited 15 seconds, plugged back in) no change
Got different cablecards from Comcast no change
Kickstart 57 no change
Kickstart 54 - All S.M.A.R.T. tests passed

I've noticed over the past year or two the occasional cablecard error. So, before I bothered checking wiring or swapping out coaxial cables, I thought, I wonder if the problem occurs on unencrypted QAM? I removed the cablecards, ran a channel scan, and the picture and sound are great zero RS Corrected and RS Uncorrected errors on both tuners! This leads me to believe that some component in the cablecard pathway inside the TiVo is the problem, since a different set of cablecards had the same issue, and unencrypted QAM looks great.

Has anyone encountered this before? Is there a certain component that I could swap out from a working Series 3 (bought from eBay or Craigslist)? Our Series 3 has lifetime so Id like to keep it working. I havent soldered anything in 20 years, but Im willing to give it a try, if necessary.
What are the signal levels and SNR for each tuner while you are seeing pixelation?

The Error stats are coming from the demodulator which is 'before' the cablecard so I wouldnt expect the issue to be cablecard related.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #1517
AVSman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
What are the signal levels and SNR for each tuner while you are seeing pixelation?

The Error stats are coming from the demodulator which is 'before' the cablecard so I wouldnt expect the issue to be cablecard related.
I just performed another test. Viewing unencrypted QAM (without the cablecards), I saw the following stats:

Channel 4-1
Signal Strength: 95 - 100
SNR: 35dB
(no RS errors)

Channel 16-1
Signal Strength: 95 - 100
SNR: 35dB
(no RS errors)

I then re-inserted the cablecards and viewed the same channels:

Channel 104 (this is how Comcast maps 4-1)
Signal Strength: flips between 95, 86, and 0
SNR: 35dB
(lots of RS errors)

Channel 106 (this is how Comcast maps 16-1)
Signal Strength: flips between 95 and 0
SNR: 35dB
(lots of RS errors)

I'm consistently getting errors only using the cablecards. Unencrypted QAM continues to be fine. I would blame the cablecards, but this has happened now with two different sets.


AVSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #1518
SCSIRAID
Registered User
 
SCSIRAID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSman View Post
I just performed another test. Viewing unencrypted QAM (without the cablecards), I saw the following stats:

Channel 4-1
Signal Strength: 95 - 100
SNR: 35dB
(no RS errors)

Channel 16-1
Signal Strength: 95 - 100
SNR: 35dB
(no RS errors)

I then re-inserted the cablecards and viewed the same channels:

Channel 104 (this is how Comcast maps 4-1)
Signal Strength: flips between 95, 86, and 0
SNR: 35dB
(lots of RS errors)

Channel 106 (this is how Comcast maps 16-1)
Signal Strength: flips between 95 and 0
SNR: 35dB
(lots of RS errors)

I'm consistently getting errors only using the cablecards. Unencrypted QAM continues to be fine. I would blame the cablecards, but this has happened now with two different sets.

Are the indicated frequencies and Modulation the same between clear QAM (16-1) and with the cablecards in place (106)? The SNR's and signal levels are fine for the clear QAM... but you are right... something fishy is going on.

Do you use a Tuning Adapter? If so.. is it in place for both tests (with and without cablecards?)
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:57 AM   #1519
AVSman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Are the indicated frequencies and Modulation the same between clear QAM (16-1) and with the cablecards in place (106)? The SNR's and signal levels are fine for the clear QAM... but you are right... something fishy is going on.

Do you use a Tuning Adapter? If so.. is it in place for both tests (with and without cablecards?)
Yes, the frequencies and modulation are the same between the clear QAM and using the cablecards.

No, we don't use a Tuning Adapter. (And thanks for your replies, by the way!)

If anyone has any idea as to what component might be the culprit, I'd love to hear it. I'm not looking forward to duplicating all of our season passes using manual recordings!
AVSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #1520
SCSIRAID
Registered User
 
SCSIRAID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSman View Post
Yes, the frequencies and modulation are the same between the clear QAM and using the cablecards.

No, we don't use a Tuning Adapter. (And thanks for your replies, by the way!)

If anyone has any idea as to what component might be the culprit, I'd love to hear it. I'm not looking forward to duplicating all of our season passes using manual recordings!
Wow... This is a wierd one. One thing you could try is attenuation. If you have a 4 way splitter and can connect thru it that would drop signal level 7db. If you have a 2 way, that would be 3.5db. My thought is that you may be on the edge of tuner overload but I am really 'reaching' here as I dont see what the cablecards would have to do with it. At least it would be one more thing off the table.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:00 AM   #1521
AVSman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Wow... This is a wierd one. One thing you could try is attenuation. If you have a 4 way splitter and can connect thru it that would drop signal level 7db. If you have a 2 way, that would be 3.5db. My thought is that you may be on the edge of tuner overload but I am really 'reaching' here as I dont see what the cablecards would have to do with it. At least it would be one more thing off the table.
I tried a two-way splitter and got the same results (things look great with unencrypted QAM and bad with cablecards).

I'm not sure what to do next. I'm long out of warranty, but I guess I could call TiVo and see if they can offer me a deal to upgrade...

Thanks for your suggestions!
AVSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #1522
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSman View Post
I tried a two-way splitter and got the same results (things look great with unencrypted QAM and bad with cablecards).

I'm not sure what to do next. I'm long out of warranty, but I guess I could call TiVo and see if they can offer me a deal to upgrade...

Thanks for your suggestions!
You've got a 5 year old machine.

It's having "strange" symptoms.

I would be very unsurprised to learn that you needed to replace one or more capacitors in the power supply.

It could be about time to replace the hard drive as well, but anything wrong with the current one would be much, much more unlikely, as in nearly impossible, to cause your specific strange symptoms, whereas a marginal power supply might be able to manage okay until you add the extra load of the cable card(s).

If you plan to replace that S3 with another TiVo, then sell it to me cheap, but, if you want to try to save it, search my comments for the word "capacitor" and you'll find a lot, on which I've already spent time writing, about the "capacitor disease" problem and what to do to see if that's your problem and how to fix it.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #1523
AVSman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You've got a 5 year old machine.

It's having "strange" symptoms.

I would be very unsurprised to learn that you needed to replace one or more capacitors in the power supply.

It could be about time to replace the hard drive as well, but anything wrong with the current one would be much, much more unlikely, as in nearly impossible, to cause your specific strange symptoms, whereas a marginal power supply might be able to manage okay until you add the extra load of the cable card(s).

If you plan to replace that S3 with another TiVo, then sell it to me cheap, but, if you want to try to save it, search my comments for the word "capacitor" and you'll find a lot, on which I've already spent time writing, about the "capacitor disease" problem and what to do to see if that's your problem and how to fix it.
Thanks for making that suggestion! I checked out the power supply this morning, and sure enough, there were three bulging capacitors. I considered repairing them myself, but since there are (at least) three that are failing, I thought I might as well replace the whole power supply. I'd like to keep this TiVo running as long as possible.

I know that weaKnees sells new power supplies for the Series 3. Are there any other places that sell them? (I know I could get them used on eBay or craigslist, but I'd rather get a new one.)
AVSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #1524
SCSIRAID
Registered User
 
SCSIRAID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSman View Post
Thanks for making that suggestion! I checked out the power supply this morning, and sure enough, there were three bulging capacitors. I considered repairing them myself, but since there are (at least) three that are failing, I thought I might as well replace the whole power supply. I'd like to keep this TiVo running as long as possible.

I know that weaKnees sells new power supplies for the Series 3. Are there any other places that sell them? (I know I could get them used on eBay or craigslist, but I'd rather get a new one.)
Caps are cheap... If you can solder.. id recommend you change them and see if that solves the problem before investing in a new power supply.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #1525
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSman View Post
Thanks for making that suggestion! I checked out the power supply this morning, and sure enough, there were three bulging capacitors. I considered repairing them myself, but since there are (at least) three that are failing, I thought I might as well replace the whole power supply. I'd like to keep this TiVo running as long as possible.

I know that weaKnees sells new power supplies for the Series 3. Are there any other places that sell them? (I know I could get them used on eBay or craigslist, but I'd rather get a new one.)
Okay, sell me the power supply cheap and I'll fix it.

Apparently DVRUpgrade also sells power supplies, but apparently they and weaknees are really the same people now.

9th Tee doesn't seem to have any, and I'm not sure if they even mess with anything newer than Series 2s.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #1526
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 6,100
You could look for a (non-lifetime) S3 on eBay that might be cheaper than a new PS. Then swap that PS in. Unfortunately, it would be another old PS and might get, or already have, capacitor disease. The different TiVo models have different PS'es, so be sure you get the same model you have.

Replacing the caps, even if you have to pay to have it done, is probably a better way to go.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #1527
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSman View Post
Thanks for making that suggestion! I checked out the power supply this morning, and sure enough, there were three bulging capacitors. I considered repairing them myself, but since there are (at least) three that are failing, I thought I might as well replace the whole power supply. I'd like to keep this TiVo running as long as possible.

I know that weaKnees sells new power supplies for the Series 3. Are there any other places that sell them? (I know I could get them used on eBay or craigslist, but I'd rather get a new one.)
If you do replace the caps, educate yourself about the need for low-ESR caps so you get the right kind of replacements or make sure that whoever does the repair for you understands what's needed.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #1528
AVSman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 37
Thank you everyone for your advice and opinions - lots of good points were raised. After weighing all of the options, I decided to buy a new power supply for my Series 3 off of eBay. It was less shipped than one from weaKnees, and I get to keep my old one (I figured I could sell it to someone who might want to repair it and keep it or resell it). I don't have a ton of time these days, so I wanted the ease of swapping the power supply out. Time or money... sometimes you have to pick which one is more important to you...

unitron, I love the quote in your signature, btw! Classic line from the original trilogy.
AVSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:44 PM   #1529
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSman View Post
Thank you everyone for your advice and opinions - lots of good points were raised. After weighing all of the options, I decided to buy a new power supply for my Series 3 off of eBay. It was less shipped than one from weaKnees, and I get to keep my old one (I figured I could sell it to someone who might want to repair it and keep it or resell it). I don't have a ton of time these days, so I wanted the ease of swapping the power supply out. Time or money... sometimes you have to pick which one is more important to you...

unitron, I love the quote in your signature, btw! Classic line from the original trilogy.
You understand it refers to what TiVo did to lifetime S1 subscribers in the UK, right?

Once you've confirmed that the new power supply fixes your problem, let me know what you want for the old one.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:26 AM   #1530
AVSman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You understand it refers to what TiVo did to lifetime S1 subscribers in the UK, right?

Once you've confirmed that the new power supply fixes your problem, let me know what you want for the old one.
No, I didn't know that. I'll have to look up what happened.

I'll contact you after I get the new one installed and test it out.
AVSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |