TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-30-2011, 11:23 PM   #3241
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I have noticed that my shows have stopped grouping when pushing. After researching it a bit, I found that theTVDB is now changing all the zap2it ID #'s from the SH# to the EP# that zap2it has on their webpage.

Would this be the reason?
Somebody decided that theTVDB was supposed to be using the EP# and did a mass update.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:28 PM   #3242
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Somebody decided that theTVDB was supposed to be using the EP# and did a mass update.
Right I get that. My question is this why the shows are no longer grouping for me?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:59 AM   #3243
lpwcomp

Quote:
Right I get that. My question is this why the shows are no longer grouping for me?
That I don't know unless the TiVo treats the EP prefix differently.

What I do know is the mass update was made by an administrator based on the input of one user, aptly named "fiasco". I have expressed my displeasure by a posting in the thread on the tvDB forum that led to it.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:15 AM   #3244
lpwcomp

Where exactly on the zap2it website do you see the series ID?

Old 10-31-2011, 04:26 AM   #3245
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgc View Post
Is it possible to use tivodecode to decrypt .tivo files already on the pc
Yes.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:03 AM   #3246
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
That I don't know unless the TiVo treats the EP prefix differently.

What I do know is the mass update was made by an administrator based on the input of one user, aptly named "fiasco". I have expressed my displeasure by a posting in the thread on the tvDB forum that led to it.
That thread is here:
http://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7819
for those who want to follow the gory details.

Going to be interesting to see how the theTVDB.com operators respond to the complaint. It appears that tivo metadata still uses the SH numbers, or will this change for series that originate after the change? Or is the SH number only retained on YOUR tivo if it established the ID number for a group PRIOR to the zap2it change? (i.e., if you start a group now, will it use the EP number?)

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #3247
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Where exactly on the zap2it website do you see the series ID?
If there is a simple answer to this, I don't know it. I did some searching and all I came up with was the (very old) post on this forum:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...25#post5740125

It appears this info is still correct, however. I went to zap2it.com and brought up the data for an episode of hawaii-five-0. The url included:

EP012800630031

If you apply the rule suggested by the linked post (remove the last four numerals), you get: EP01280063

If you strip the leading zero this is a 7-digit number. The pyTivo wiki says for seriesId:
Quote:
Usually starts with "SH" and followed by 6-8 digits
Thus the question still remains: How many of the leading zeros do you strip from the EP number to get the SH number TiVo will like? It would be nice if the answer is: "all of them".

I'm still curious where TiVo gets the SH numbers?

and
Old 10-31-2011, 03:56 PM   #3248
audiodane

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Grouping of .tivo files is done based on their internal seriesIds. If they're not grouping, it's because the seriesId record has expired, or was never present.
Do you mean by that statement that even if you have recorded items within your Tivo to a "valid show", once that show is no longer in the listing data, you can no longer group to it?

For instance, "A Night At the Movies" is currently hosted on TCM. I'm recording one tonight on each Tivo to get it's SHxxxxx in each Tivo. Then I plan on doing PULLs of various recordings I have to taht SHxxxx number to group. I will then delete the originally recorded episode.

If in a few months that show is nowhere in sight within the listing, will I be able to PULL new content into that group?

thanks in advance,
..dane
audiodane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:10 PM   #3249
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
If there is a simple answer to this, I don't know it. I did some searching and all I came up with was the (very old) post on this forum:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...25#post5740125

It appears this info is still correct, however. I went to zap2it.com and brought up the data for an episode of hawaii-five-0. The url included:

EP012800630031

If you apply the rule suggested by the linked post (remove the last four numerals), you get: EP01280063

If you strip the leading zero this is a 7-digit number. The pyTivo wiki says for seriesId:

Thus the question still remains: How many of the leading zeros do you strip from the EP number to get the SH number TiVo will like? It would be nice if the answer is: "all of them".

I'm still curious where TiVo gets the SH numbers?
The fact that the EP number has four additional digits makes it even more likely that this is an episode ID and that SH is still the correct prefix for a series ID. Although it appears that the URL for the general show data is also EP. So now the questions become - is this a recent change in zap2it, is it internal only, is the SH prefix added by TiVo or is it in the data that TiVo gets from Tribune?

Grimm, which premiered on Friday, got an SH series ID on the TIVo. I would be shocked if TiVo ever started using the EP prefix for series ID. If you read the entire thread, initially Mr. fiasco was complaining about missing series IDs. Then he didn't like the fact that the SH ids didn't match what he was seeing on zap2it and convinced the admin that EP was the correct prefix.

Another thing about this change is that there was NO announcement of it in the announcements section of the tvDB forum.

This is probably not the proper thread for this discussion. Maybe some TCF admin should start a new thread somewhere and move the relevant posts.

There are two things relevant to this thread:

1. I pushed two episodes of a series to my THD and they are grouped together. However, the series ID is neither SH nor EP. It is BS. No, really. And the numeric part bears no resemblance to anything I see on tvDB.

2. A pull gets them in the correct group if the metadata has an SH series ID and the TiVo recognizes it or it is a Premiere. On the THD, I'm seeing some ..odd.. behavior on groupings for pulls.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:17 PM   #3250
innocentfreak

Quote:
There are two things relevant to this thread:

1. I pushed two episodes of a series to my THD and they are grouped together. However, the series ID is neither SH nor EP. It is BS. No, really. And the numeric part bears no resemblance to anything I see on tvDB.

2. A pull gets them in the correct group if the metadata has an SH series ID and the TiVo recognizes it or it is a Premiere. On the THD, I'm seeing some ..odd.. behavior on groupings for pulls.
So on your push you had only a number and no SH or EP? If so their proposal of using only the number would work since grouping is my main intention.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:39 PM   #3251
audiodane

Quote:
So on your push you had only a number and no SH or EP? If so their proposal of using only the number would work since grouping is my main intention.
FWIW, years ago I did PUSH grouping and indeed I could make up anything I wanted to. I think one of my first seriesId's was "TestID" and things grouped to it perfectly fine (on a push). Of course, not a Pull. This was on an old S2 (540), back in the 2008 timeframe.

I didn't like how little metadata was coming through on a Push, so I started doing Pull's instead. Limits my grouping capability, but gets more metadata. I've long since forgotten the seriesId I used back then, so I can't get any more files into that group. Thus my question above- if I get a new one for Pull's, in three years can I continue adding to it even if the original show is long-since-dead, or will I be out of luck then too?

thanks,
..dane
Old 10-31-2011, 05:30 PM   #3252
lpwcomp

Quote:
It was "BS" followed by numbers. And it doesn't appear to me that it is coming from tvDB.

Example:

BS589177614 Revenge

Old 10-31-2011, 05:42 PM   #3253
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
It was "BS" followed by numbers. And it doesn't appear to me that it is coming from tvDB.

Example:

BS589177614 Revenge
It isn't coming from theTVDB. Using metagenerator 3 you can see theTVDB is returning EP01419525 for Revenge.

and
Old 10-31-2011, 11:49 PM   #3254
lpwcomp

Quote:
It isn't coming from theTVDB. Using metagenerator 3 you can see theTVDB is returning EP01419525 for Revenge.
Yes, I knew that. It also doesn't look like anything else in the theTVDB record.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:33 AM   #3255
kellyet

Hi everybody..

.. on the german wiki page the program transcode server from realtek is mentioned. It should decode files in order to view it with the media player (via stream). I downloaded this peace of software, but I donīt know how to use it and I couldnīt find any documention. Does someone have experince with it or knows another tool which supports that feature?

Thanks a lot for your help..
kellyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:04 AM   #3256
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
Do you mean by that statement that even if you have recorded items within your Tivo to a "valid show", once that show is no longer in the listing data, you can no longer group to it?
I'd think that the TiVo would keep the cached seriesIds for any recordings that were still on the drive, but I wouldn't swear to that. I have seen old recordings lose some of their metadata IIRC.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #3257
audiodane

Quote:
I'd think that the TiVo would keep the cached seriesIds for any recordings that were still on the drive, but I wouldn't swear to that. I have seen old recordings lose some of their metadata IIRC.
Yea, I realized yesterday that I could just pull the seriesId values on that Tivo, try to PULL something else with that same ID, and see if it still groups. I know for a fact that that ID value is no longer on the air (for several years now).

When I have a chance to test, I'll report back.

..dane
Old 11-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #3258
Soapm

Quote:
My old S2 had Barney Miller episodes on it since 2007. I haven't seen them in the guide since then. Now that I've moved them the folder on my TivoHD doesn't have a title. Just the number of episodes in the folder. I suspect you're correct...
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #3259
lpwcomp

I have added code to my copy of pyTiVoMetaThis that will hopefully handle the series ID issue in theTVDB whether they leave them EP, change to all numeric, or change back to SH.

The code I added is:

Code:

if ( tvTag == 'seriesId' ):
                                if ( text.startswith('EP') ):
                                        text = text.lstrip('EP') # strip off leading 'EP' if there is one
                                if (len(text) == 10):
                                        if ( text.startswith('SH00') ):
                                                text = text.lstrip('SH00') # for 'SH00nnnnnn'
                                if ( str(text).isdigit() ): # if remaining is numeric
                                        textint = int(text)
                                        if ( textint <= 1026171 ): # not 8 digit format (unknown if this upper bound is correct)
                                                text = text.lstrip('0') # strip leading zeros
                                                if ( textint < 1000000 ): # must be at least 6 digits
                                                        text = text.zfill(6)
                                        text = "SH" + text # add leading 'SH' to numeric ID
I added it after:
Code:

if ( tvTag == 'time' ):
                                text = 'time: OAD'
Note: In Python, leading spaces in the code are significant.

While it appears to work correctly and should handle any of the three formats they are considering, I can't guarantee that it's the best way to do it. I haven't written any code in years and have never done any Python.

I also don't know if the upper bound for less than 8-digit ids is correct nor if there are exceptions.

Last edited by lpwcomp : 11-02-2011 at 10:16 PM. Reason: fixed error; should be 1000000, not 100000
Old 11-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #3260
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I have added code to my copy of pyTiVoMetaThis that will hopefully handle the series ID issue in theTVDB whether they leave them EP, change to all numeric, or change back to SH.
.............While it appears to work correctly and should handle any of the three formats they are considering, I can't guarantee that it's the best way to do it. I haven't written any code in years and have never done any Python.
So your assuming that:

1. All theTVDB.com ID's are two letters ("SH" or "EP") followed by 8 digits.
2. ID's that start with "SH" and 2 leading zeros, should be converted to "SH" followed by 6 digits (i.e., removing the 2 leading zeros)

Is that correct? (Ignoring the "upper limit" issue for now.)
If so, how did you deduce this from that thread in theTVDB forum? It wasn't clear to me that they had finalized on anything.

Also, I'm wondering whether the case of "EP" followed by two leading zeros shouldn't receive the same treatment as "SH" followed by two leading zeros?

and
Old 11-03-2011, 01:08 AM   #3261
lpwcomp

Quote:
So your assuming that:

1. All theTVDB.com ID's are two letters ("SH" or "EP") followed by 8 digits.
No, some of them are still the old style SH[6 or 8 digits leading 0 filled, or 7 digits no leading 0] .

Quote:
2. ID's that start with "SH" and 2 leading zeros, should be converted to "SH" followed by 6 digits (i.e., removing the 2 leading zeros)

Is that correct? (Ignoring the "upper limit" issue for now.)
If so, how did you deduce this from that thread in theTVDB forum? It wasn't clear to me that they had finalized on anything.

Also, I'm wondering whether the case of "EP" followed by two leading zeros shouldn't receive the same treatment as "SH" followed by two leading zeros?
Let me see if I can explain it in English even though I loathe Cobol. The following reflects code changes that I haven't yet posted

A leading EP will be removed. If the seriesId is 10 characters long and begins with SH00, that will be removed. If it doesn't begin with either of those, it will be taken as is. Blast it, just realized this won't handle the case of them changing one that is SH followed by 7 digits by adding a loading 0. I'll just have to get to the numeric part and recreate it.

If what remains is numeric, that is when the limits come in. If the value is <= the upper limit, leading zeros will be removed. If the value is also < 1000000(note 1), it will be leading zero filled to 6 digits. We now have a string that is 6,7, or 8 digits long. An SH will be added to the beginning of this string.

I am assuming that if the ID in theTVDB is not of the form EPn, SHn(note 2) or n, it is correct or uncorrectable. Although maybe I need to revisit the code and not remove the EP or SH if the remainder is not numeric, but theoretically that shouldn't happen. I am also assuming that if the numeric portion has a value greater than the upper limit, it will have a leading 0 if there is supposed to be one.

My reading of the discussion at theTVDB forum is that they are looking at 3 options: Leaving things as they are now, going back to the SH form or going to a strictly numeric form. I think my code will handle any of those or a mixture, even if they return to the SH form but leading zero fill it to 8 digits.

note 1. I had error in the code that I have corrected.

note 2. Logic error. Some IDs that begin SH0 may not be correct. Corrected code in next post.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:19 AM   #3262
lpwcomp

new code:

Code:

if ( tvTag == 'seriesId' ):
                                texttmp = text
                                if ( texttmp.startswith('EP') ):
                                        texttmp = texttmp.lstrip('EP') # strip off leading 'EP' if there is one
                                if ( texttmp.startswith('SH') ) :
                                        texttmp = texttmp.lstrip('SH') # same for SH
                                if ( str(texttmp).isdigit() ): # if remaining is numeric
                                        textint = int(texttmp)
                                        if ( textint <= 1026171 ): # not 8 digit format (unknown if this upper bound is correct)
                                                texttmp = texttmp.lstrip('0') # strip leading zeros
                                                if ( textint < 1000000 ): # must be at least 6 digits
                                                        texttmp = texttmp.zfill(6)

text = "SH" + texttmp # add leading 'SH' to numeric ID

Old 11-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #3263
lpwcomp

To summarize, I made the following assumptions with the latest version:

1. If the seriesId obtained from theTVDB is not numeric and it doesn't begin with EP or SH, it can't be fixed.

2. If the portion after the EP or SH is not numeric, it can't be fixed.

3. If the numeric portion is < 1000000, the correct format is SH followed by 6 digits.

4. If the numeric portion is >= 1000000 and <= 1026171, the correct format is SH followed by 7 digits.

5. If the numeric portion is > 1026171, the correct format is SH followed by the numeric string as it was obtained from theTVDB.

6. Any seriesId that can't be fixed should be kept as is.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #3264
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
.......4. If the numeric portion is >= 1000000 and <= 1026171, the correct format is SH followed by 7 digits.
Where does this number come from? I searched both this thread and the one on theTVDB.com forum and the only place I found "1026171" was the three recent posts by you in this thread. (?)

I understand you said you're not sure about this limit, but what is the basis for saying there is such a limit?

and
Old 11-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #3265
lpwcomp

Quote:
Where does this number come from? I searched both this thread and the one on theTVDB.com forum and the only place I found "1026171" was the three recent posts by you in this thread. (?)

I understand you said you're not sure about this limit, but what is the basis for saying there is such a limit?
This.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #3266
lpwcomp

What would be nice is if we could get someone at theTVDB to execute SQL something like:

Select max(zap2itid) from whatevertableitsin where zap2itid like 'SH1%';

Especially if they could do it on a copy of the DB made prior to the mass update.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #3267
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
What would be nice is if we could get someone at theTVDB to execute SQL something like:

Select max(zap2itid) from whatevertableitsin where zap2itid like 'SH1%';

Especially if they could do it on a copy of the DB made prior to the mass update.
What would really be nice is if someone at TiVo would spend a paragraph or two (or a code snippet) to explain this.... but that's pie in the sky.

and
Old 11-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #3268
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:

Quote:
Yep, I had figured this out just before you posted, by reading through the entire thread on theTVDB.com forum and viewing the linked text file. For the benefit of others, the last item in this file, which is sorted by ascending ID number, is a show with SH1026171. Thus the file is a proof of existence of 7-digit SH numbers at least that high. And we also have specific examples of SH numbers greater than that with a leading zero and 8 digits, which you and I have verified with our tivo TTG transfers. What a pain this is. I hope they don't plan to change this very often.

and
Old 11-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #3269
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Huhh ??

I was using Metagenerator 3 to look at ID's returned by theTVDB.com, trying to see if I could push the 7-digit SH number limit higher than SH102671. I found "Breaking Bad" returning "SH01009396", which is 8-digits and BELOW the limit.

"Breaking Bad" is also on the list linked a few posts above by lpwcomp, but with the ID = "SH1009396", i.e., WITHOUT the leading zero.

Is there actually any solid info regarding this issue?

and
Old 11-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #3270
lpwcomp

Does anyone have an episode of Breaking Bad that they actually recorded on their computer?

The following paragraph is all IMHO:

This is not TiVo's fault. I suspect they used what they got from TMS. TMS probably switched to 7 digits for a while and has now switched to 8. For existing series, TiVo is mapping the eight digit ids back to what they initially got so that episodes remain grouped together. Can you imagine the screams from the user community if they didn't do this?

BTW, during the discussion on theTVDB forum, it came out that TMS is still providing the SH seriesId. That both the SH and EP are available.