TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-26-2011, 01:01 AM   #3421
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
The Now Playing list is effectively URLs to each show, with a show ID that doesn't change, right?

i.e. I have left kmttg running before, and can keep using it after deleting shows/recording new ones, without updating the now playing list.

So basically, my request would be to have a way to KEEP the Now Playing list across launches. This would let me be able to almost always keep the pref to 1 page of updates (thanks for adding that!), but still have the full list (from an older fetch of everything) between launches.

...or instead, have the Now Playing list update dynamically, and let me use it while it's fetching (that's even better).
I don't really understand this. What about all the shows that were deleted off the TiVo that are still in the table? What about shows showing they are in recording state and not downloadable yet? I wouldn't want an out of date table as such. I can understand the request to not erase the currently showing list while retrieving an updated one. I guess for me it's never been a big deal as I usually have 20 shows or less on my units so a refresh is very fast, but for those with 100s or 1000s of entries I can see it may take a while to get a new list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #3422
ccrider2

Quote:
Where do I turn on java downloads? Are there any other benefits/detriments to using java downloads vs curl? (I'm not at home at the moment or I could try.)
Also wondering the difference. Been running Java for near 2 years...couldn't get Curl to run. I can't remember the issue I was having. Java worked so I just let it stay there.
ccrider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #3423
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider2 View Post
Also wondering the difference. Been running Java for near 2 years...couldn't get Curl to run. I can't remember the issue I was having. Java worked so I just let it stay there.
The difference is very simply that with the Java option actual Java code is used for downloads as opposed to curl which is a separate executable to do it. Since curl is built for that purpose it's probably a lot more robust and tolerant of networking glitches compared to my simple Java code, but for a healthy network there really shouldn't be much difference between the methods in terms of speed & reliability. I don't remember exactly the motivation behind providing java alternative but I think it was related to some people experiencing problems with curl for whatever reason. Personally I've used curl for many years in this program and several other scripts without any issue.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:23 PM   #3424
sanjonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
So as a simple test, then the following should work outside your LAN to give you the TiVo congratulations page:
http://sanjonnyboy.homiep.net:3333/index.html

I don't know if 3333 is the actual port you used, but that doesn't work for me.

(P.S. nslookup finds the apparently mis-spelled homiep, not homeip)
I might have typed it wrong unintentionally and also lied a bit about the actual address (intentionally), but that does work fine outside my lan, it gives me the tivo info page. I can pm you with the correct address if needed.

Something really strange, I tried logging into the secure port via my cellphone and it worked. But sitting at a computer logged into a different lan, I get the error message (no transfers to outside your lan).

So I am going to have to do more troubleshooting to figure out what is going on and report back.
sanjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:39 AM   #3425
sanjonny

on another note, I have been playing around with using kmttg and its great hooks to videoredo to work with my other players files, such as the replay tv files and others.

Today, I tried to do a m2ts file as I would an mpg file. meaning I selected it in kmttg and had the box checked for qsfix and adscan and hit start. I do this all the time for both my tivo files and my replaytv files and other mpg files and it works great. I also plan on trying to do it with some TS files from my new premiere and/or my new hauppage 1212. Is there something I am doing wrong, or does the commands that kmttg calls to videoredo need to be modified to accept these file types (m2ts, and ts in h264?) I did have kmttg setup for videoredo plus, but I changed the directory to the recently installed videoredotvsuite

So I think there is a command switch or something that is going wrong. When I try and do the qsfix on the file, it runs, but it takes forever. For example, on a half hour high def show (1.4GB before cutting commercials), inside vidredtvsuite, I run qsfix and it puts out the m2ts file in about 2 minutes. But running it in kmttg, it takes almost 10 times that. I have stopped it manually several times because I know something is wrong but cannot figure out what. I have a copy of the command below:

I have copied the commands and errors below and colored to make them separate:

>> Running qsfix on E:\tivo recordings\mpg\ts files\2011_10_26_10_47_41.M2TS ...
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe //nologo C:\kmttg\VRDscripts\qsfix.vbs "E:\tivo recordings\mpg\ts files\2011_10_26_10_47_41.M2TS" "E:\tivo recordings\mpg\ts files\2011_10_26_10_47_41.M2TS.qsfix" /l:C:\DOCUME~1\JONATH~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\VRDLock5006616813069657 052.tmp /m /x:1920 /y:1080

After about 5-8 minutes and the file being only at say 20%, I cancelled

Removing job: {source=E:\tivo recordings\mpg\ts files\2011_10_26_10_47_41.M2TS tivoName=FILES type=adscan status=queued familyId=7.15}
Killing 'qsfix' job: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe //nologo C:\kmttg\VRDscripts\qsfix.vbs "E:\tivo recordings\mpg\ts files\2011_10_26_10_47_41.M2TS" "E:\tivo recordings\mpg\ts files\2011_10_26_10_47_41.M2TS.qsfix" /l:C:\DOCUME~1\JONATH~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\VRDLock5006616813069657 052.tmp /m /x:1920 /y:1080

I am guessing that it is trying to convert the file to do the qsfix, vs inside the program, it just outputs it in the native format? Letting it run, it seems the adscan part works fine, just the qsfix that takes forever. I thought at first it might be processor related but then I tried it with nothing else running and now I am thinking it is command or something.

Have not tried it yet with a ts file because I don't have one encoded till tomorrow morning. (these are h.264 encodes from the hauppage 1212 device, which rocks BTW)

If it is something I can fix, I would gladly do it, if not, is there something in kmttg we could set to handle these types of files, like a H264 switch, because I think not all TS files are H264 (we are near the edges of my understanding of encoding vs. wrappers and such)
Old 10-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #3426
moyekj

sanjonny the qsfix in kmttg was specifically designed for processing TiVo source files and thus to output "MPEG2 Program Stream" (you can look at VRDscripts/qsfix.vbs), so if the input is of a different format then that means VRD would re-encode. If you want to process other types of inputs perhaps what you could do is have an alternate kmttg install dir and edit the above script in that installation to output the format that you want.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:32 AM   #3427
sanjonny

Quote:
sanjonny the qsfix in kmttg was specifically designed for processing TiVo source files and thus to output "MPEG2 Program Stream" (you can look at VRDscripts/qsfix.vbs), so if the input is of a different format then that means VRD would re-encode. If you want to process other types of inputs perhaps what you could do is have an alternate kmttg install dir and edit the above script in that installation to output the format that you want.
okay, having a shot at this, in your qsfix.vbs i found

' Open output file and start processing.
'NOTE: NEWER VRD TVSUITE4 NO LONGER SUPPORTS FileSaveAsEx so have to use FileSaveProfile
version = GetVersion(VideoReDo.VersionNumber)
if version < 4205604 then
outputFlag = VideoReDo.FileSaveAsEx( destFile, 1 )
else
outputFlag = true
profileName = "MPEG2 Program Stream"
outputXML = VideoReDo.FileSaveProfile( destFile, profileName )
if ( left(outputXML,1) = "*" ) then
outputFlag = false
end if

i poked around in the default profiles and found that it looks like 1 in red above is mpeg (tivo style) and 11 is h264 m2ts and 8 is h264 transport stream so i am guessing if i replace the 1 above with 11, it should work on my m2ts files and 8 for my Ts h264 files. i cant try this till tomorrow, probably because i am not at the correct computer but am i on the correct track? i am not a programmer so i am limping thru this
Old 10-28-2011, 12:44 AM   #3428
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
okay, having a shot at this, in your qsfix.vbs i found

'NOTE: NEWER VRD TVSUITE4 NO LONGER SUPPORTS FileSaveAsEx so have to use FileSaveProfile
outputFlag = VideoReDo.FileSaveAsEx( destFile, 1 )
else
outputFlag = true
profileName = "MPEG2 Program Stream"
outputFlag = false
end if

i poked around in the default profiles and found that it looks like 1 in red above is mpeg (tivo style) and 11 is h264 m2ts and 8 is h264 transport stream so i am guessing if i replace the 1 above with 11, it should work on my m2ts files and 8 for my Ts h264 files. i cant try this till tomorrow, probably because i am not at the correct computer but am i on the correct track? i am not a programmer so i am limping thru this
The numbering system is for older versions of VideoRedo (versions earlier than 4.20.5.604). I assume you have a more recent version of VRD TV Suite 4 in which case you should use a profileName instead (FileSaveAsEx no longer works). That should match exactly one of the named profiles in VRD which you can see a list of by choosing Tools->Edit profile list... If you don't have a more recent version then you should download it from here since there are many, many fixes. (Also don't edit "left" function as that has nothing to do with output format).

EDIT: Come to think of it unless you need video dimension filtering all you have to do is instead of "qsfix" task in kmttg choose "encode" task and the appropriate VRD profile name (you can turn on VRD profiles in kmttg config->VideoRedo->Show VideoRedo encoding profiles). If you choose output profile same as input video type then the result will be same as a qsfix. i.e. No need to edit the qsfix.vbs.

Last edited by moyekj : 10-28-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:34 AM   #3429
sanjonny

Quote:
The numbering system is for older versions of VideoRedo (versions earlier than 4.20.5.604). I assume you have a more recent version of VRD TV Suite 4 in which case you should use a profileName instead (FileSaveAsEx no longer works). That should match exactly one of the named profiles in VRD which you can see a list of by choosing Tools->Edit profile list... If you don't have a more recent version then you should download it from here since there are many, many fixes. (Also don't edit "left" function as that has nothing to do with output format).

EDIT: Come to think of it unless you need video dimension filtering all you have to do is instead of "qsfix" task in kmttg choose "encode" task and the appropriate VRD profile name (you can turn on VRD profiles in kmttg config->VideoRedo->Show VideoRedo encoding profiles). If you choose output profile same as input video type then the result will be same as a qsfix. i.e. No need to edit the qsfix.vbs.
interestingly, i currently have version 4.20.6.610 and tried substituting H.264 M2TS in the profile name field (replaced the mpeg2 program stream) but that did not work. (still encoded it) but then i tried putting 11 in the proper place ( not in the left field, thanks) and it WORKED. i actually do think i need to do the dimension filter sometimes because looking at it, the commercials and such do have the dimension changes sometimes, but, i might not have to for content from the 1212 that is taken thru the tivo as it is fixed output (1080i). again am new to this depth of understanding but does qsfix do anything else, or just fix the dimensions. i seem to think it might have fixed sync issues too since that can get screwed up. i will try the encode method also. i am tired and might be forgetting something simple so i will work on it tomorrow morning and report back.

thanks for your help this far. i think once i get this understood, i might be able to bring a whole other group of folks to the kmttg love fest. i already have some replay converts and the 1212 users are growing rapidly.

one thing i just thought of, if using the encode method, i think that would be 2 steps because wont it do the adscan first and then try the encode , vs qsfix which happens b4 the adscan? i will try that tomorrow too.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #3430
mattack

Quote:
I don't really understand this. What about all the shows that were deleted off the TiVo that are still in the table? What about shows showing they are in recording state and not downloadable yet? I wouldn't want an out of date table as such. I can understand the request to not erase the currently showing list while retrieving an updated one. I guess for me it's never been a big deal as I usually have 20 shows or less on my units so a refresh is very fast, but for those with 100s or 1000s of entries I can see it may take a while to get a new list.
I now have apparently *3000* recordings on my Tivo. Getting the now playing list is SLOW. Even with the "only get 1 page" addition (THANKS AGAIN), then when I want to get an older recording, I have to go change the pref and then get the now playing list again.

Mostly the recent recordings change, and the old ones stay (they're likely things I want to download off, or sometimes things I'll eventually watch).

I am perfectly fine with the data being 'stale', since most of it (the older recordings) won't change much, and if I run into too many stale items, I would just get a fresh now playing list.

Again, the optimal solution would be to get the now playing list asynchronously, while I can still interact with the first page(s) shown.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #3431
mattack

BUG:

When downloading with java, it doesn't "know" that it can only download one recording at a time from a specific Tivo..

So it tries to keep downloading over and over, getting an exception.

The workaround would be (I presume, I haven't tried it) to use the setting that it can only do 1 job at a time.

But it "just works" when using curl to download.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:22 PM   #3432
moyekj

Quote:
BUG:

When downloading with java, it doesn't "know" that it can only download one recording at a time from a specific Tivo..

So it tries to keep downloading over and over, getting an exception.

The workaround would be (I presume, I haven't tried it) to use the setting that it can only do 1 job at a time.

But it "just works" when using curl to download.
It's coded not to do that and I can't reproduce it. I start a download and then pick another show and click on "Start" again and it stays in queued state. Do you have a specific sequence to reproduce the issue?

EDIT: If you have combined java download/decrypt set I can see that is the case and workaround is not to use combined download/decrypt. (I don't like/use combined download/decrypt plus use VRD for my decrypts, so don't test it very thoroughly, but fix for that is already checked in for next release).

Last edited by moyekj : 10-28-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #3433
moyekj

Quote:
I now have apparently *3000* recordings on my Tivo. Getting the now playing list is SLOW. Even with the "only get 1 page" addition (THANKS AGAIN), then when I want to get an older recording, I have to go change the pref and then get the now playing list again.

Mostly the recent recordings change, and the old ones stay (they're likely things I want to download off, or sometimes things I'll eventually watch).

I am perfectly fine with the data being 'stale', since most of it (the older recordings) won't change much, and if I run into too many stale items, I would just get a fresh now playing list.

Again, the optimal solution would be to get the now playing list asynchronously, while I can still interact with the first page(s) shown.
For next release I updated code such that it won't delete the currently shown table while retrieving new set which will help you a little. Updating table incrementally while downloading listings would require many changes (it's a lot more involved than simply adding entries to table for display) so I'm not up for changing that. I assume you know about config setting under TiVos "Start NPL jobs when starting kmttg GUI" which if disabled prevents kmttg starting a new NPL automatically when starting. (I have that disabled as ironically these days I use kmttg mostly for the iPad remote stuff and very rarely to download anything anymore...)

Old 10-29-2011, 03:14 AM   #3434
sanjonny

still working on my M2TS project and now updated to a later version of the h264 version. It appears I have the qsfix working now with the setup printed earlier.
Now trying adcut but failing. i modified the regular adcut script as below. I changed both the 1 to 11 and the profile to the h.264, just like the qsfix (in blue)

outputFlag = VideoReDo.FileSaveAsEx( destFile, 11 )
else
outputFlag = true
profileName = "H.264 MT2S"
outputFlag = false
end if
end if

but think i am missing some other check. i get the error that it is still trying to output to mpg as below, which i guess means there is somewhere else I have to change.

---DONE--- job=adscan output=E:\tivo recordings\mpg\ts files\2011_10_26_10_15_46.VPrj
>> Running adcut on E:\tivo recordings\mpg\ts files\2011_10_26_10_15_46.M2TS ...
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe //nologo "C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan Ryan\Desktop\kmttg\VRDscripts\adcut.vbs" "E:\tivo recordings\mpg\ts files\2011_10_26_10_15_46.VPrj" "e:\tivo recordings\cut\2011_10_26_10_15_46.mpg" /l:C:\DOCUME~1\JONATH~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\VRDLock2640199719249390 949.tmp /m
adcut failed (exit code: 4 ) - check command: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe //nologo "C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan Ryan\Desktop\kmttg\VRDscripts\adcut.vbs" "E:\tivo recordings\mpg\ts files\2011_10_26_10_15_46.VPrj" "e:\tivo recordings\cut\2011_10_26_10_15_46.mpg" /l:C:\DOCUME~1\JONATH~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\VRDLock2640199719249390 949.tmp /m
? Problem opening output file: e:\tivo recordings\cut\2011_10_26_10_15_46.mpg

I tried to see another place where it was getting hung up, but don't know enough about the switches to find it. It seemed that adscan worked fine though I have only done this one file. I am now using 4.20.7.629 tvsuite4, I also am not sure if the profile should be number 11 or not as on the profile list it is number 14 (but that is just on tools>profiles hand counting) I know the profile number should not matter but changed it just in case figuring it could not hurt.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:22 AM   #3435
sanjonny

Quote:
still working on my M2TS project and now updated to a later version of the h264 version. It appears I have the qsfix working now with the setup printed earlier.
Now trying adcut but failing. i modified the regular adcut script as below. I changed both the 1 to 11 and the profile to the h.264, just like the qsfix (in blue)

outputFlag = VideoReDo.FileSaveAsEx( destFile, 11 )
else
outputFlag = true
profileName = "H.264 MT2S"
outputFlag = false
end if
end if

but think i am missing some other check. i get the error that it is still trying to output to mpg as below, which i guess means there is somewhere else I have to change.

---DONE--- job=adscan output=E:\tivo recordings\mpg\ts files\2011_10_26_10_15_46.VPrj
>> Running adcut on E:\tivo recordings\mpg\ts files\2011_10_26_10_15_46.M2TS ...
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe //nologo "C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan Ryan\Desktop\kmttg\VRDscripts\adcut.vbs" "E:\tivo recordings\mpg\ts files\2011_10_26_10_15_46.VPrj" "e:\tivo recordings\cut\2011_10_26_10_15_46.mpg" /l:C:\DOCUME~1\JONATH~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\VRDLock2640199719249390 949.tmp /m
adcut failed (exit code: 4 ) - check command: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe //nologo "C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan Ryan\Desktop\kmttg\VRDscripts\adcut.vbs" "E:\tivo recordings\mpg\ts files\2011_10_26_10_15_46.VPrj" "e:\tivo recordings\cut\2011_10_26_10_15_46.mpg" /l:C:\DOCUME~1\JONATH~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\VRDLock2640199719249390 949.tmp /m
? Problem opening output file: e:\tivo recordings\cut\2011_10_26_10_15_46.mpg

I tried to see another place where it was getting hung up, but don't know enough about the switches to find it. It seemed that adscan worked fine though I have only done this one file. I am now using 4.20.7.629 tvsuite4, I also am not sure if the profile should be number 11 or not as on the profile list it is number 14 (but that is just on tools>profiles hand counting) I know the profile number should not matter but changed it just in case figuring it could not hurt.
oops, that should have been M2TS not MT2S. When I changed that, it did the adcut, but it named the file .mpg. It still plays but i don't think it was reencoded as mpg. Will have to run some identity programs to check. It did it quickly which makes me think it is still M2TS but vlc just plays it anyway?

log is below:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe //nologo "C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan Ryan\Desktop\kmttg\VRDscripts\adcut.vbs" "E:\tivo recordings\mpg\ts files\2011_10_26_10_15_46.VPrj" "e:\tivo recordings\cut\2011_10_26_10_15_46.mpg" /l:C:\DOCUME~1\JONATH~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\VRDLock6160155534868341 528.tmp /m
adcut job completed: 0:01:52
---DONE--- job=adcut output=e:\tivo recordings\cut\2011_10_26_10_15_46.mpg
(Deleted vprj file: E:\tivo recordings\mpg\ts files\2011_10_26_10_15_46.VPrj)
(Deleted mpeg file: E:\tivo recordings\mpg\ts files\2011_10_26_10_15_46.M2TS)
Old 10-29-2011, 03:29 AM   #3436
sanjonny

Checked the file using media info and it is avc which i am assuming is still h264 (again, new to the non mpg) so I guess I can just rename the file, but I hope that there is an easy fix in adcut to get the name correct.

Again, thanks in advance for your help!
Old 10-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #3437
moyekj

Quote:
Checked the file using media info and it is avc which i am assuming is still h264 (again, new to the non mpg) so I guess I can just rename the file, but I hope that there is an easy fix in adcut to get the name correct.

Again, thanks in advance for your help!
The file naming is all set based on assumptions of mpeg2 file inputs. As a workaround if you are not using "encode" task then you can create a profile under "encode" folder say called "rename_m2ts.enc" which looks something like below to do renaming for you:
Code:
<description>
Rename to .m2ts

<command>
c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /C move INPUT OUTPUT

<extension>
m2ts
Then obviously you enable "encode" task and choose "rename_mt2s" as the encoding profile name. Obviously as well the kmttg config must set ".mpg Cut Dir" to a different dir than the input files (which looks you already did).

Last edited by moyekj : 10-29-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #3438
sanjonny

Quote:
The file naming is all set based on assumptions of mpeg2 file inputs. As a workaround if you are not using "encode" task then you can create a profile under "encode" folder say called "rename_m2ts.enc" which looks something like below to do renaming for you:
Code:
<description>
Rename to .m2ts

<command>
c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /C move INPUT OUTPUT

<extension>
m2ts
Then obviously you enable "encode" task and choose "rename_mt2s" as the encoding profile name. Obviously as well the kmttg config must set ".mpg Cut Dir" to a different dir than the input files (which looks you already did).
i am guessing via the input statement that this would only rename the file selected in kmttg to "encode". could i also put this in the adcut.vbs (after everything else) or would that be bad? i guess i can try it to find out. but i like the idea of using the encode to do something like that because that could also allow me to do some other post processing i had not thought i could throw in. i could create in essence a batch file to run using encode.

is there any way in encode i could fix the qsfix/adcut where you previously had mentioned doing the encode method with custom command to do the stream fix instead of running the qsfix.

i guess said another way, is it possible to use encode to call one encode step (the qsfix) and then call the adscan script so i could make it work as if i had just selected a h264 qsfix box (that doesnt exist, i know) and adscan the same as i would with a regular mpg?

because now if i try the encode then adscan, it does the adscan first, because that of course is what it is designed to do.

e
Old 10-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #3439
moyekj

Quote:
i am guessing via the input statement that this would only rename the file selected in kmttg to "encode". could i also put this in the adcut.vbs (after everything else) or would that be bad? i guess i can try it to find out. but i like the idea of using the encode to do something like that because that could also allow me to do some other post processing i had not thought i could throw in. i could create in essence a batch file to run using encode.

is there any way in encode i could fix the qsfix/adcut where you previously had mentioned doing the encode method with custom command to do the stream fix instead of running the qsfix.

i guess said another way, is it possible to use encode to call one encode step (the qsfix) and then call the adscan script so i could make it work as if i had just selected a h264 qsfix box (that doesnt exist, i know) and adscan the same as i would with a regular mpg?

because now if i try the encode then adscan, it does the adscan first, because that of course is what it is designed to do.

e
Yes, you can create your own batch script file (.bat in windows) for example and make the cscript call to VRD in it. Then you have the opportunity to name output file anything you want. Obviously you would design script to have at least input file name as an argument. Then in the kmttg .enc under <command> you would put something like:
\path\myscript.bat INPUT
You can get as fancy as you want. You may be better off just entering your script as kmttg custom command and use the "custom" task (with [mpegFile] argument) instead since encode task expects a certain file output or will give an error message if that expected file does not exist (though you could ignore the error).

Old 10-29-2011, 06:28 PM   #3440
ig88

Newbie Question:
I've been a long time TiVo user (since first model), but never had a real need to offload video from the TiVo - with the whole iPad culture change, I can see this being useful.

Downloaded kmttg and installed on OS X Lion - pretty much one-click dead simple install, except for the extra install step of downloading Intel build of tivodecode - and even that was simple.

So I ran the app and downloaded a movie and re-encoded it in a number of different formats to test the quality and size difference.

I was shocked to see how terrible the (non re-encoded) lossless decrypted file looked.

It had all kinds of poor-resoution (interlaced lines?) and artifacts in it.

I don't understand this. The video on TiVo looks great, but the file that I downloaded and decrypted looks pretty bad. It's watchable, but how come it looks so bad?

The one-hour show was 3.04 GB in size. Now I don't subscribe to digital TV yet, so the original recording is SD, but the video still looks fine on my 65" Panasonic VT30 (CNET's Best-rated TV of 2011).

What am I missing?

(ps - great job on the app! pretty cool tool!)
Series IV XL
OS X, iPad, iPad2
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:13 AM   #3441
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ig88 View Post
I was shocked to see how terrible the (non re-encoded) lossless decrypted file looked.
What viewer are you using? Try VLC, I'm rarely disappointed by it. Also you can use MediaInfo to get information about your source file.

Just FYI, I recently did a bunch of trial re-encodes (using HandBrake) on an OTA football game. Here are my very subjective conclusions, all as viewed by VLC on my computer:

1920x1080i original, very good quality HD
1280x720 target ATV2, still very good quality
1024x576 target iPad, still pretty good quality
960x528 target iPhone4, slight imperfections
720x400 target universal, not very good for HD
480x274 target iPhone, certainly not for HD
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:13 AM   #3442
ig88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
What viewer are you using?
It doesn't matter if I use QT Player or VLC, the files look pretty much the same.

Quote:
Also you can use MediaInfo to get information about your source file.
I am not sure that is relevant:
First of all info the original TiVo file format is what it is - and it looks good on the TV, but bad on my Mac after simply downloading from the TiVo and decrypting.

Second of all, I am looking the decrypted version of that file, which shouldn't be changing the quality.

Third, merrily looking at numbers (file specs) doesn't really say anything about what the video will look like quality-wise: You can have a 1920 X 1080p, 7.1 channel 256 KHz audio file that looks like absolute garbage - all the numbers are going to really tell you is how large the file will be that plays back that garbage.
Or another way to put it: all 100 W stereo systems sound the same, and 200 W stereo system sounds even better.

For what it is worth, the original 3 GB TiVo file was reported as:
6,239 Kbps, 720X480, 29.970 fps MPEG NTSC video
384 Kbps, 48KHz 2-channel MPEG Audio

I am simply trying to determine if:
a) All video downloaded from TiVo will look bad (perhaps TiVo is putting some sort of limit on the quality that can be downloaded from the box) - and has these interlace type line artifacts in it.

b) It is because I am still using SD content as source (but that doesn't exactly explain why it looks "good" on my TV).

c) I am doing something wrong (having never down this before)

I screen-snapped an image from the video that shows what I am seeing. The video was played at its normal size - I did not make the playback window larger. In the video note the actor on the right's nose, eyes, hair line, jacket edges, and hand. Also look at the wall sconces on the right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lines.jpg (23.8 KB, 18 views)
Series IV XL
OS X, iPad, iPad2
Old 10-30-2011, 08:03 AM   #3443
jcthorne

Your computer is displaying the file as is. Your tv is line doubling and smoothing the output to make it APPEAR better.

You need to switch to HD program streams and use those on your computer. The Tivo is not down converting or limiting the output of the file in any way.

If the original program material is analog, the tivo is encoding it to mpeg2 but thats true for what you see in the tv as well.

The sooner you drop the SD analog material the happier you will be.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:09 AM   #3444
ig88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Your computer is displaying the file as is. Your tv is line doubling and smoothing the output to make it APPEAR better.

You need to switch to HD program streams and use those on your computer. The Tivo is not down converting or limiting the output of the file in any way.

The sooner you drop the SD analog material the happier you will be.
Gotcha. That makes sense.

I never upgraded my cable service to HD, because when I viewed it at other people's homes, it just didn't look any better, in fact in some ways it looked worse.

Figured the cable co was significantly compressing the data...

It never made sense to me to pay the cable co significantly more each month, have to live with their cable box, and have an insignificantly better, or worse, picture.

Considering the Elite, so that will push me there...

Thanks for the info, it was exactly what I was looking for.
Series IV XL
OS X, iPad, iPad2
Old 10-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #3445
moyekj

The lines are because you don't have deinterlace filter turned on in your player. VLC and various other players have many deinterlace filters that will get rid of those lines when viewed on computer but they are not enabled by default. For VLC visit:
Tools->Preferences->Video->Deinterlacing. I have mine set to "Automatic" and Mode=Blend.
Nevertheless, as mentioned SD will still look like crap on most computer monitors even without those lines.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #3446
ig88

Quote:
The lines are because you don't have deinterlace filter turned on in your player. ... For VLC visit:
Tools->Preferences->Video->Deinterlacing. I have mine set to "Automatic" and Mode=Blend.
Wow thanks for that tip - it really cleaned up that noise.

Although it doesn't look like you can set it as a preference on the Mac build. There is a menu to enable Interlacing and set the Mode, but you have to manually set it for each viewing.

Quote:
Nevertheless, as mentioned SD will still look like crap on most computer monitors even without those lines.
Noted - I also assume the above tip doesn't help when viewing a file encoded for and then watched on an iDevice, because those apps don't adjust for the deinterlacing....

Still pondering purchasing an Elite, which would force my hand at the move to digital, but I hear that the Elite still has slow navigation menus, so wondering if I should wait for Series 5...
Series IV XL
OS X, iPad, iPad2
Old 10-30-2011, 11:17 PM   #3447
sanjonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ig88 View Post
Wow thanks for that tip - it really cleaned up that noise.

Although it doesn't look like you can set it as a preference on the Mac build. There is a menu to enable Interlacing and set the Mode, but you have to manually set it for each viewing.

Noted - I also assume the above tip doesn't help when viewing a file encoded for and then watched on an iDevice, because those apps don't adjust for the deinterlacing....

Still pondering purchasing an Elite, which would force my hand at the move to digital, but I hear that the Elite still has slow navigation menus, so wondering if I should wait for Series 5...
I think your display issues are mostly related to your recording quality/ and software. I process many files from the TiVo and replaytv and other capture devices and lots of settings van make a huge difference in how they appear. I have many sd encodes that look pretty good, even blown up on the 60 in or bigger screen.

For HD sources, after TiVo decoding the files look great through my set top box (brite view) or even streamed from server direct to my panasonic tv. Unfortunately, I think macs are expecting only certain file types and don't like dealing with other types. Even non hd from my 1999 replaytv recorded off a good signal still looks good after decrypting( different encryption than TiVo) and removing commercials and such. same with TiVo sd, just hd looks even better.
Maybe mess with other settings and accelerations in vlc on the Mac to make it look better? Also check your signal into the TiVo to make sure it is as clean as you can get, that can make a big difference too. I stream converted shrunk videos in sd from my server to my iPad or to other tvs and even they look pretty good, so I would really try changing some settings around. You could always get a good set top box to archive your shows and watch later, or even watch them back later on using streambaby, which works good too.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:30 PM   #3448
ig88

Quote:
I think your display issues are mostly related to your recording quality/ and software.
It was just a matter of setting the interlacing setting properly for playback on VNC like the previous poster suggested.

Now I just have to find a way to build that process into the re-encoding process so that it will play back cleaned up on the iDevices.

I haven't looked, but I assume that handbrake can do that.
Series IV XL
OS X, iPad, iPad2
Old 10-31-2011, 01:01 AM   #3449
kkwst2

Hello,

I used to use kmttg with my Tivo HD without problems. I recently upgraded to a Tivo Premiere, and I keep getting the following message:

Failed to retrieve Now Playing List from DVR-0F91
Exit code: 35
Check YOUR MAK & IP settings

curl: (35) Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to 10.10.10.122:443

As far as I can tell, MAK and IP settings are correct. IP was autodetected. If I switch to Java method, I also get a failure. Seems to be some communication issue, but it can retrieve the iPad remote stuff just fine. Anyone have any ideas? I tried disabling the firewall, but that didn't help.
kkwst2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:13 AM   #3450
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkwst2 View Post
Hello,

I used to use kmttg with my Tivo HD without problems. I recently upgraded to a Tivo Premiere, and I keep getting the following message:

Failed to retrieve Now Playing List from DVR-0F91
Exit code: 35
Check YOUR MAK & IP settings

curl: (35) Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to 10.10.10.122:443

As far as I can tell, MAK and IP settings are correct. IP was autodetected. If I switch to Java method, I also get a failure. Seems to be some communication issue, but it can retrieve the iPad remote stuff just fine. Anyone have any ideas? I tried disabling the firewall, but that didn't help.
Do you have the options set properly for the new TiVo on your account at tivo.com?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote