TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > Developers Corner
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #451
reneg

I've been running v1 of Video Manager on a Windows Home Server for a while and just I installed v2 of Video Manager and ran across the following issues. I think most of these have already been covered:

1) v2 dependancy on windows extensions for Python. I'm running python 2.6 and and v2 errorred out on the import of win32file. Fixed by installing win32 extensions for python.

2) Config file defaults not excepted. Had to enter values in the config file for various options. For example, had to changed
descsize= to descsize=20
infolabelpercent= to infolabelpercent=30
inforightmargin= to inforightmargin=20
thumbjustify= to thumbjustify=left

3) Caching performance on startup. Caching took a long time and once the Tivo dropped back to live TV before caching was finished so when I went back in the app had exited so I had to re-cache again. I need to spend more time playing here to find the right balance for my system.

Edit: After spending more time, dynamic caching performance on start-up is unusuable in my configuration. Had to switch to static caching and a scheduled task to run buildcache.py on a daily basis.

Last edited by reneg : 10-25-2011 at 01:27 PM.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:03 AM   #452
cweb

Virtual Shares ...

Can I get some clarification on what is the difference between vidmgr virtual shares and the shares you can create through pytivo (which then are reflected in vidmgr)?
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #453
Squirl1899

Is there a way to build the Thumbnail cache without having to click on each individual movie? My thumbnails are created with Thumbgen and are about 1MB a piece so it takes a long time to load each one nd I have over 1,500 movies with thumbnails.

I have tried the "BuildCache.py" but that doesn't seem to build the thumbnails, just the shares I have in my pyTivo.conf. I also tried "ThumbCache.py" but that didn't seem to do anything. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Squirl1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #454
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweb View Post
Can I get some clarification on what is the difference between vidmgr virtual shares and the shares you can create through pytivo (which then are reflected in vidmgr)?
Virtual shares allow you to create different views into your archived media. You can create additional logical groupings on values in the metadata. For instance you could create a virtual share on the genre science-fiction, or on the director Alfred Hitchcock. Lots of flexibility to access your archived media in different ways if you choose.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:21 AM   #455
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl1899 View Post
Is there a way to build the Thumbnail cache without having to click on each individual movie? My thumbnails are created with Thumbgen and are about 1MB a piece so it takes a long time to load each one nd I have over 1,500 movies with thumbnails.

I have tried the "BuildCache.py" but that doesn't seem to build the thumbnails, just the shares I have in my pyTivo.conf. I also tried "ThumbCache.py" but that didn't seem to do anything. any help would be greatly appreciated.
I suggest you take a batch photo editor such as ReaConverter Lite and use it to convert all those thumbnails to .jpg files of under 100K each. You can also re-size them, while you're at it.

Last edited by lrhorer : 10-26-2011 at 12:42 AM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #456
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post
Virtual shares allow you to create different views into your archived media. You can create additional logical groupings on values in the metadata. For instance you could create a virtual share on the genre science-fiction, or on the director Alfred Hitchcock. Lots of flexibility to access your archived media in different ways if you choose.
To expand on that a bit, vidmgr takes all the metafiles for all the videos in all the real video and DVD shares specified in the pyTivo configuration file and combines them into a single database. From that database, then, one can create individual objects that sort and / or filter the database in unique ways, based mostly upon the contents of the metafiles. One can sort / group based on pre-defined meta-tags, or one can create one's own. For example, I insert into every metafile a tag that is equal to the first character in the file name after excluding leading articles. Thus, the metavalue for that tag for the film The 39 Steps is simply the number "3". I then collect all numeric tags into a group named "[0-9]", while all the remaining videos are sorted into groups labeled, "A", "B", "C", etc., representing the first letter of the file name. IOW, I have one group for movies starting with a number, another for those starting with "A", another for those starting with "B", etc.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:40 AM   #457
lrhorer

Quote:
2) Config file defaults not excepted. Had to enter values in the config file for various options. For example, had to changed
descsize= to descsize=20
infolabelpercent= to infolabelpercent=30
inforightmargin= to inforightmargin=20
thumbjustify= to thumbjustify=left
Yeah, I ran into that one, too. It's easily fixed.

Quote:
3) Caching performance on startup. Caching took a long time and once the Tivo dropped back to live TV before caching was finished so when I went back in the app had exited so I had to re-cache again. I need to spend more time playing here to find the right balance for my system.

Edit: After spending more time, dynamic caching performance on start-up is unusuable in my configuration. Had to switch to static caching and a scheduled task to run buildcache.py on a daily basis.
It's probably unusable on just about any Windows system with any significant number of videos. The routine jbernardis had to use to identify multiple symlinks to the same source file on a Windows system as not being unique takes a lot of CPU resources. Linux and Mac systems take a small fraction of the time - about 5 seconds for nearly 2000 videos, here. Even so, I still run a Cron job every hour or so that re-builds the cache.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #458
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Yeah, I ran into that one, too. It's easily fixed.

It's probably unusable on just about any Windows system with any significant number of videos. The routine jbernardis had to use to identify multiple symlinks to the same source file on a Windows system as not being unique takes a lot of CPU resources. Linux and Mac systems take a small fraction of the time - about 5 seconds for nearly 2000 videos, here. Even so, I still run a Cron job every hour or so that re-builds the cache.
It seems like the default path is the uncommon configuration case on Windows. In my opinion, most Windows users have no idea how to create a symlink. Perhaps a config option whether your windows systems contains symlinks or not would increase usability.

Also, first timers would benefit by either having the distribution config file have the default values prepopulated or having better error recovery in the program.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #459
lrhorer

Quote:
It seems like the default path is the uncommon configuration case on Windows. In my opinion, most Windows users have no idea how to create a symlink.
It's hard to imagine one that doesn't. Right click on the source, drag it to the new location, and select <Create Shortcut>. If anyone doesn't know, it's certainly not hard to learn.

Quote:
Perhaps a config option whether your windows systems contains symlinks or not would increase usability.
Ummm. I have no idea how he coded the routine. I've only taken the very briefest peek at the code. The notion leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. OTOH, I'm not running Windows, so it ultimately doesn't impact me in any case.

Quote:
Also, first timers would benefit by either having the distribution config file have the default values prepopulated or having better error recovery in the program.
For that, you'll need to talk to jbernardis.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:52 PM   #460
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
It's hard to imagine one that doesn't. Right click on the source, drag it to the new location, and select <Create Shortcut>. If anyone doesn't know, it's certainly not hard to learn.
Shortcuts are not the same as symlinks, but that's a different discussion for another thread.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:49 AM   #461
lrhorer

Quote:
Shortcuts are not the same as symlinks, but that's a different discussion for another thread.
Well, OK, that's true. Windows Vista introduced an attempt at an analog to a *nix symlink, but I'm not sure whether in this context the distinction matters, or not. Whether it is a true symlink or a "shortcut", I suspect the system has to go through the same or similar gyrations in order to determine whether the link is unique, or not. I could be mistaken, of course. Perhaps jbernardis will chime in.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #462
jbernardis

Quote:
It seems like the default path is the uncommon configuration case on Windows. In my opinion, most Windows users have no idea how to create a symlink. Perhaps a config option whether your windows systems contains symlinks or not would increase usability.
Let me look at the code to see what I can do here. If it's simple to simply turn off the logic if you do not have any links, then I will ad an option for doing so.

Quote:
My intent with the distribution file was to show you where you need to enter values, not to provide a syntax that results in the default values. I sorry that mislead everyone. You do NOT have to enter the default values - simply remove or comment out the line in the file and the default value will be used. Next distribution will have these lines commented out.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #463
jbernardis

OK - version 2.0d is up on git. I'm kind of eager for someone to let me know if there is an improvement under windows. Basically I added a new vidmgr.ini option - usefileid - the default value is true.
  • If you set it to false, it bypasses the logic used to determine the file's unique ID. This means that if you DO have links (hard or soft) vidmgr will treat them as two different files and they will show up twice (or more times) in the virtual shares.
  • If you set it to true, the logic of today is used, and the unique ID for each file is determined so that the duplication does not happen.

BTW the simplest way to do this was to leave the existing routines in place and instead of returning the actual file ID, I return a sequential number - that way, each file is given a unique number and there will never be a match.

I also editted the two dist files to comment out the lines that everyone thought was bringing in the default values.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #464
jbernardis

Quote:
The thumbnail cache is built automatically, but it is statically sized at 100 entries. You CAN increase this by playing with the value of thumbcachesize in Config.py, but I would tend to agree with lrhorer. 1MB is a VERY large thumbnail. I have about 600 videos, and for the most part my thumbnails are images of the DVD case. They range in size from 30K to 70K and they look fine. They also load very fast even if they are not in the cache.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #465
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
OK - version 2.0d is up on git. I'm kind of eager for someone to let me know if there is an improvement under windows. Basically I added a new vidmgr.ini option - usefileid - the default value is true.
  • If you set it to false, it bypasses the logic used to determine the file's unique ID. This means that if you DO have links (hard or soft) vidmgr will treat them as two different files and they will show up twice (or more times) in the virtual shares.
  • If you set it to true, the logic of today is used, and the unique ID for each file is determined so that the duplication does not happen.

BTW the simplest way to do this was to leave the existing routines in place and instead of returning the actual file ID, I return a sequential number - that way, each file is given a unique number and there will never be a match.

I also editted the two dist files to comment out the lines that everyone thought was bringing in the default values.
It took about 2 minutes to load with dynamic cache the first time on my system with about 10,000 media files. Subsequent loads took about 45 seconds. That's better than before where it would drop back to live video before completing but it is still slow for regular usage.

With a static cache, vidmgr loads in 5 seconds on my system.

One potential problem that could happen by setting usefileid=false would be if someone had nested shares. Not quite the same as symlinks, but could cause multiple entries per file in virtual shares.

Thanks for putting this in so quickly, however I think I'm going to revert back to static cache with a daily run of buildcache.py.

Love your program, thanks for making it available to us.

Last edited by reneg : 10-27-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:18 AM   #466
Squirl1899

Quote:

Well, I was so frustrated (with TiVo, not Video Manager) that I went through and opend up EVERY port that TiVo had on their website. I have 2 routers (Netgear WNDR3700 for N capabilities connected to my Verizion FIOS MI424WR) and opened up all the ports on BOTH routers, including the pyTiVo and Video Manager ports and did the same on my Windows firewall. After about an hour of entering ports EVERYTHING is BLAZING fast, even with my 1MB thumbnails! I can't believe it but there is ZERO lag when I start Video Manager and when i go from one video to another the thumbnail pops up instantaneously.

Even though my TiVo always said that the port configuration passed I always had issues with the HD menus, the top banner going blank in TiVo Central and when i would run pyTiVo, Stream Baby or Video Manager, the whole TiVo tended to freeze up and get the green circle of death. I have no idea which port on which router or windows firewall did the trick but something fixed it. I guess time will tell if it fixed my actual TiVo HD issues that everyone has been havning but at least I can now browse my WONDERFUL and GORGEOUS Video Manager Thumbnails with ease.
Squirl1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #467
jbernardis

Quote:
...but at least I can now browse my WONDERFUL and GORGEOUS Video Manager Thumbnails with ease.
Great looking thumbnails - just as long as everyone realizes that is NOT what vidmgr looks like

I'd be interested to see a total screen shot that shows your image in the lower right.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #468
jbernardis

One thing I've learned in 30+ years of software development - software is never finished.

With that in mind, I have just posted version 2.0e on GIT. There was a nasty bug when parsing virtual share options - once it found one option, it stopped looking for any others. So if you tried to alter more than one option, only one of them would have been used. I'm actually surprised nobody reported this before.

I couldn't be satisfied with just a bug fix. There are two new features as well:
  1. I added the shares= option to the vidmgi.ini to limit virtual shares to a list of pytivo shares, and
  2. I added a new virtual share type - alpha=tagname - that produces a folder for every letter (or digit) that the named metadata item begins with

SO for example, the following lines in the ini file:
Code:
[alphabetical movies]
alpha=title
shares=My Movies
will produce a virtual share of movies (from the "My Movies" share) that are arranged into seperate folders based on the starting letter of the title. So there will be an "A" folder, a "B" folder, etc. Digits are also used, and then a catchall <other> folder. If there are no titles for a given letter, that folder does not appear.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #469
bwall23

Question Install problem or not WIN64 compatible?

Have latest version 2, just downloaded yesterday and installed today.

OK, this sounds promising and since I'm already running Python 2.6.5(64bit) on Windows7-64 along with the latest pyTiVo, I thought i'd give it a try.

After spending most of the day figuring out what pyHME was, installing it, figuring out where to put vidmgr, getting and installing WIN-64 PIL(64bit) I'm now stuck.

Here's what I get launcing pyHME from a WIN7 commandline

Code:
C:\pyHME>C:\Python26\python.exe "C:\PyHME\start.py"
HME Server for Python 0.19
Skipping: vidmgr - No module named win32file <<==??
Sat Nov 05 17:16:21 2011 Server Starts
Registering: animate
Registering: clock
Registering: effects
Registering: fontinfo
Registering: hello
Registering: picture
Registering: test
Registering: tictactoe
Registering: transition
Anyone else using it on WIN64 w/64 bit Python and 64bit PIL?
If so, what's the magic bullet?
bwall23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #470
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 View Post
Code:
Skipping: vidmgr - No module named win32file <<==??
Apparently this win32file thing has been an issue for some. I didn't anticipate this since I didn't explicitly install this module on my PC - it came with python 2.7.

It's available as a separate download - just google it. The question I have is whether it is compatible with 64 bit python - I am using 32 bit. If someone could chime is as to whether this module works in this environment, I'd appreciate it.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #471
bwall23

Quote:
Apparently this win32file thing has been an issue for some. I didn't anticipate this since I didn't explicitly install this module on my PC - it came with python 2.7.

It's available as a separate download - just google it. The question I have is whether it is compatible with 64 bit python - I am using 32 bit. If someone could chime is as to whether this module works in this environment, I'd appreciate it.
I just uninstalled PIL 1.1.7 64 bit for Python 2.6 and Python 2.6.5 64 bit for Windows. I then installed Python 2.7.2 32 bit and PIL 1.1.7 32 bit for Python 2.7.

Getting same error.

What is available as a separate download?
Old 11-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #472
jbernardis

Quote:
What is available as a separate download?
win32file.

I'm not sure where it is because like I said it came with my 2.7 install (I have activestate python), but others in this thread have mentioned downloading it. Perhaps if they see this, they can post a download link.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #473
bwall23

Quote:
win32file.

I'm not sure where it is because like I said it came with my 2.7 install (I have activestate python, but others in this thread have mentioned downloading it. Perhaps if they see this, they can post a download link.
What is "activestate python"? and where would I get it?
Old 11-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #474
jbernardis

Quote:
What is "activestate python"? and where would I get it?
Active State is a company that packages python and other languages for business use. They charge for their normal products, but also provide free versions for personal use. I originally started using their products when I was more into perl, and have been happy with them.

here is the link to their site to obtain python.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #475
bwall23

Quote:
win32file.

I'm not sure where it is because like I said it came with my 2.7 install (I have activestate python), but others in this thread have mentioned downloading it. Perhaps if they see this, they can post a download link.
Found the Win32 extensions and have it working with all 32 bit software. Since I have Win7-64 bit I'm going to try duplicating my success with all 64 bit versions of Python 2.6.5, PIL 1.1.7 and pywin32 build 216. Thanks for the quick responses
Old 11-06-2011, 12:12 AM   #476
bwall23

Big Grin

Quote:
Found the Win32 extensions and have it working with all 32 bit software. Since I have Win7-64 bit I'm going to try duplicating my success with all 64 bit versions of Python 2.6.5, PIL 1.1.7 and pywin32 build 216. Thanks for the quick responses
Working! Uninstalled, then reinstalled all 64 bit - Python 2.7.2, PIL 1.1.7 and pywin32 build 216.

How can I get the filename to display in the info screen (when I press the remote info button). It appears I have recordings of shows where the metadata says they're an episode Title that they aren't and I need a way to identify what files they are. Would be nice to get filename.ext displayed. I tried editing the vidmgr.ini to include the following, but it didn't display the filename
Code:
# the next 4 options specify format information for the info screen that pops up
# when you press the info button. 
# specify a list of metadata tags for each.
#       default: metaignore=isEpisode isEpisodic
#                metafirst=title seriesTitle episodeTitle description
#                metaspacebefore=
#                metaspaceafter=
#
# metaignore=
metafirst=file title seriesTitle episodeTitle description
# metaspacebefore=
# metaspaceafter=
Also want to add that it appears it isn't parsing the pytivo.conf file correctly.
It errors out stating there is no port= line in my pytivo.conf, but there is.
Code:
port = 9032
I had to add this line in vidmgr.ini to stop the error
Code:
pytivo1.port=9032

Last edited by bwall23 : 11-06-2011 at 12:53 AM. Reason: pytivo.conf port error
Old 11-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #477
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Working! Uninstalled, then reinstalled all 64 bit - Python 2.7.2, PIL 1.1.7 and pywin32 build 216.
What significant advantage do you see (or expect) from running 64 bit vs. 32 bit ?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #478
bwall23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
What significant advantage do you see (or expect) from running 64 bit vs. 32 bit ?
None. Other than it's easier to remember always run 64 bit unless it's not available or causes incompatability issues. I already had 64 bit Python 2.6.5 and had been using it with pyTivo. In order to run vidmgr I had to get PIL and the win32 extensions. They all have to be matched (all 32 bit or all 64 bit). I decided since I have a 64 bit processor and a 64 bit OS, I'd stick with 64 bit Python and extensions since they're available.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #479
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
None. Other than it's easier to remember always run 64 bit unless it's not available or causes incompatability issues. I already had 64 bit Python 2.6.5 and had been using it with pyTivo. In order to run vidmgr I had to get PIL and the win32 extensions. They all have to be matched (all 32 bit or all 64 bit). I decided since I have a 64 bit processor and a 64 bit OS, I'd stick with 64 bit Python and extensions since they're available.
That's reasonable. I follow the opposite policy (always install 32-bit versions). It's simpler and I've yet to see an application that had significant performance advantages using an (available) 64-bit version. Transcoding seems like it would benefit since it is compute-intensive, but I don't think the 64-bit versions of the transcoding software I use are available in general.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #480
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
That's reasonable. I follow the opposite policy (always install 32-bit versions). It's simpler and I've yet to see an application that had significant performance advantages using an (available) 64-bit version. Transcoding seems like it would benefit since it is compute-intensive, but I don't think the 64-bit versions of the transcoding software I use are available in general.
You can get 64-bit versions of x264.exe and ffmpeg.exe. Not sure what you use to transcode (besides VRD, if anything). I have done very little straight transcoding (always process with avisynth), but with 64-bit avisynth and 64-bit x264, I could see ~10% higher conversion speeds. 64-bit avisynth wasn't particularly stable though, so I reverted back to 32-bit.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote