TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #3391
resildoc

ok-quick question-I have loaded some .tivo files into the file folder and want to place them onto the new tivo. I cannot find a place where it tells us how to do this. Can you please refer? Thanks. Joel.
resildoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #3392
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by resildoc View Post
ok-quick question-I have loaded some .tivo files into the file folder and want to place them onto the new tivo. I cannot find a place where it tells us how to do this. Can you please refer? Thanks. Joel.
kmttg is for TiVo->PC transfers. Use pyTivo for PC->TiVo transfers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #3393
resildoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
kmttg is for TiVo->PC transfers. Use pyTivo for PC->TiVo transfers.
Thanks-Again, really appreciate all your help! Warmly, Joel.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #3394
danjw1

Quote:
The audio is there, your players just can't handle mp4 with AC3 which is a relatively new spec. VideoLAN VLC can. For transferring it back on TiVo you should use pyTivo "push" so that it won't transcode back to mpeg2 during transfer.
Is there a codec I could get that would let other players play it? This isn't that big a deal, I have already installed VLC, but I was just curious. Media Player will work with any DirectShow filter, I believe. And thank you for the helping me with this and the great application!
Old 10-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #3395
herbman

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjw1 View Post
Is there a codec I could get that would let other players play it? This isn't that big a deal, I have already installed VLC, but I was just curious. Media Player will work with any DirectShow filter, I believe. And thank you for the helping me with this and the great application!
You can always install a codec pack, such as K-lite.
herbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #3396
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjw1 View Post
I don't think it's just a missing codec issue as you can have H.264 codec and AC3 codecs available yet still have a problem. The problem is deeper than that since the issue is with the mp4 container itself, not the underlying A/V codecs. I have never been able to get a DirectShow based player (such as Windows Media Player) to handle it, though admittedly haven't tried very hard. You need to identify what your primary playback device is going to be and use specs that will work with your preferred decoder. Trying to generate videos that play on everything equally as well and with good quality is pretty much impossible. For playback on TiVo mpeg2 is still the best format, period, so if your source files are mpeg2 then just leave them that way. H.264 w/ AC3 works pretty well on TiVo Premiere or later models but for example 1x FF essentially doesn't work and sometimes there are strange aspect ratio problems. mpeg2 on the other hand plays very well on Series 3 & 4 TiVos.
Most of my videos come from TiVo recordings so anything I keep for a long time I just keep as mpeg2, but then again I don't have a huge library as some people here so disk space is not a concern.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #3397
danjw1

MPEG 2 may be my best bet. VLC did play the mp4 files, but there seems to be an issue with the audio not syncing with the video properly.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #3398
resildoc

Hi-Wondering if anything in kmttg will allow me to salvage remaining *.tivo files from an extender drive attached to my decommissioned premiere?
Old 10-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #3399
moyekj

Quote:
Hi-Wondering if anything in kmttg will allow me to salvage remaining *.tivo files from an extender drive attached to my decommissioned premiere?
No.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #3400
resildoc

Quote:
No.
Thanks . Any suggestions? Warmly, Joel.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #3401
moyekj

Quote:
Thanks . Any suggestions? Warmly, Joel.
None from me.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #3402
zabolots

Just sharing an encoding profile that I use to convert shows for viewing on my Motorola Xoom Android tablet.

Scott
Attached Files
File Type: zip ff_xoom.zip (498 Bytes, 6 views)
zabolots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #3403
georgemiles

Love KMTTG I am running version v0p8j -windows XP with 4 2TB drives, very little problems. I have about 3000 movies recorded, with TiVo before KMTTG. Now I have discovered the file that prevents KMTTG from duplicating files on it own, any way I could add the titles from my 3000 movies so I wouldn't have to check manually.
georgemiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #3404
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemiles View Post
Love KMTTG I am running version v0p8j -windows XP with 4 2TB drives, very little problems. I have about 3000 movies recorded, with TiVo before KMTTG. Now I have discovered the file that prevents KMTTG from duplicating files on it own, any way I could add the titles from my 3000 movies so I wouldn't have to check manually.
Not really since you need to know the TiVo ProgramId for each movie, so unless there is some way of finding out what TiVo ProgramId is for each movie I don't see how. For programs/movies that are currently on your TiVo(s) you can select them in the table and choose Auto Transfers -> Add selected to history file

Old 10-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #3405
georgemiles

Quote:
Not really since you need to know the TiVo ProgramId for each movie, so unless there is some way of finding out what TiVo ProgramId is for each movie I don't see how. For programs/movies that are currently on your TiVo(s) you can select them in the table and choose Auto Transfers -> Add selected to history file
Tks for the quick reply
georgemiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #3406
jcthorne

Any way you could add the capability for kmttg to use the series name and episode name to look up season and episode number so that files could be named:

SeriesTitle - SxxEyy - EpisodeTitle.mpg

Perhaps using a bit of the code or a call to metagenerator for the lookups?

This would save a good deal of time in processing files from the tivo for archive.

Thanks!

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #3407
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Any way you could add the capability for kmttg to use the series name and episode name to look up season and episode number so that files could be named:

SeriesTitle - SxxEyy - EpisodeTitle.mpg

Perhaps using a bit of the code or a call to metagenerator for the lookups?

This would save a good deal of time in processing files from the tivo for archive.

Thanks!
Don't know anything about metagenerator as I've never used it. Does it run in batch mode and on different OS platforms? Where is web site and what is a sample command if there is batch mode?

Old 10-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #3408
sanjonny

Quote:
I've never heard of or experienced this issue, so not much I can do to resolve it. I do have 1 machine with Win XP on it but haven't seen it on that machine either. Perhaps make sure you are using a recent version of Java to try and solve it.

Not sure exactly what you are doing here, but I use kmttg outside my LAN all the time. You have to set the "wan http port" and "wan https port" settings in kmttg running on the WAN side and obviously you manually enter the TiVo IP as your router WAN IP. Then you have to have your router properly port forward the wan ports you specified to the proper LAN side TiVo IP and port 80 & 443. This enables full kmttg functionality outside the LAN.
(The "wan http port" and "wan https port" should be set differently for each TiVo you have, so you can do it for multiple TiVos if desired. Of course that means the router also has to be configured to properly port forward each one. I have 3 TiVos I can access on WAN side in this manner).
on "bleeding" issue, i am all updated with java and such, what is strange is no other java program i run has the same issue, which is why i think it might be a state setting or background setting or something like that. essentially, anything that is brought to the foreground over kmttg is bled thru by kmttg. it doesnt happen right away, it can take a few seconds or a few minutes and seems to be more likely with say firefox than with a folder browser/explorer but it does happen.

on wan/lan access. i have all my ports forwarded correctly, kmttg sees the box but errors and then trying to connect (via web browser) to the secure port ie 443, it actually sees the page but gives the message previously stated, no transfers to outside your lan. are you using a hacked box vs my unhacked? for example, i can access via dyndns on my local lan using the wan ports and transfers work, but as soon as i am outside my lan, kmttg errors, same with web interface using the dyndns name, works fine from inside my lan(though it appears to be outside to the browser) but once on another lan, it detects that i am not on the same lan and tells me so. i think if i vpn i could work around it because the tivo would think i am on the same lan, but that is usually really slow. this is on a tivo hd.
sanjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #3409
sanjonny

Quote:
I don't think it's just a missing codec issue as you can have H.264 codec and AC3 codecs available yet still have a problem. The problem is deeper than that since the issue is with the mp4 container itself, not the underlying A/V codecs. I have never been able to get a DirectShow based player (such as Windows Media Player) to handle it, though admittedly haven't tried very hard. You need to identify what your primary playback device is going to be and use specs that will work with your preferred decoder. Trying to generate videos that play on everything equally as well and with good quality is pretty much impossible. For playback on TiVo mpeg2 is still the best format, period, so if your source files are mpeg2 then just leave them that way. H.264 w/ AC3 works pretty well on TiVo Premiere or later models but for example 1x FF essentially doesn't work and sometimes there are strange aspect ratio problems. mpeg2 on the other hand plays very well on Series 3 & 4 TiVos.
Most of my videos come from TiVo recordings so anything I keep for a long time I just keep as mpeg2, but then again I don't have a huge library as some people here so disk space is not a concern.
i would recommend instead if you are archiving and want to play back almost anywhere to use the xvid codec (not built into kmttg afaik) it saves tons of spave and is easily and quickly converted to be able to play on ipad and android if needed, on the fly if you have the right software. i use something called avi.net, which is not conpletely automated because every media file is different but it is automated as much ad can be and crushes say a 10gb mpeg 2 terra nova episode down to a good looking 1gb file or less with minimal loss though its max output is 720p. will play back fine on tivos using streambaby and plays fine on wmp and vlc, and my setop boxes too. plays on android natively and with relatively quick conversion to ipad. also encodes at at better than half the time of handbrake, which is a huge plus.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:42 PM   #3410
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjonny
on wan/lan access. i have all my ports forwarded correctly, kmttg sees the box but errors and then trying to connect (via web browser) to the secure port ie 443, it actually sees the page but gives the message previously stated, no transfers to outside your lan. are you using a hacked box vs my unhacked? for example, i can access via dyndns on my local lan using the wan ports and transfers work, but as soon as i am outside my lan, kmttg errors, same with web interface using the dyndns name, works fine from inside my lan(though it appears to be outside to the browser) but once on another lan, it detects that i am not on the same lan and tells me so. i think if i vpn i could work around it because the tivo would think i am on the same lan, but that is usually really slow. this is on a tivo hd.
No hacks necessary for WAN side access - none of my TiVos are hacked. You have to port forward public (WAN) side ports to your Tivo. As an example for my Dlink router
"Virtual Server page"

Assume:
TiVo LAN IP = 192.168.10.194
Router WAN IP = 123.45.67.89

In router Virtual Server Page setup:
HTTP forwarding
Public TCP port = 1111
IP Address = 192.168.10.194, Private TCP port = 80

HTTPS forwarding
Public TCP port = 2222
IP Address = 192.168.10.194, Private TCP port = 443

The router then automatically forwards anything connecting on WAN side on port 1111 to 192.168.10.194:80 and anything on port 2222 to 192.168.10.194:443

So, when running kmttg outside my LAN I specify in kmttg config that all 3 of my Premieres have the same WAN IP address but different http/https ports. For the TiVo in example above I then enter in kmttg config->Tivo tab:
Name = whatever
IP = 123.45.67.89 (the WAN side IP)
wan http port = 1111
wan https port = 2222

So then kmttg uses:
123.45.67.89:1111 to get to 192.168.10.194:80
123.45.67.89:2222 to get to 192.168.10.194:443

Works fine. I've been doing it for years with multiple TiVos.

For your other issue don't know what to say. I don't do anything unusual in Java Swing code AFAIK and I've never seen the issue (writing this message right now with firefox opened on the top of kmttg window the whole time) so wouldn't know where to begin to look into it.

Last edited by moyekj : 10-23-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #3411
jcthorne

Here is a link to the discussion thread for metagenerator:

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/...n-3-t1786.html

dlfl may be able to help you with some function calls or the pieces of code that could accomplish the lookups in kmttg. Since the season and episode number information is sorely lacking in the metadata from the tivo, doing a lookup to find it would be a great help. Much more than season and episode would be filled in as a result as well.

Thanks for anything you can do here.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #3412
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Don't know anything about metagenerator as I've never used it. Does it run in batch mode and on different OS platforms? Where is web site and what is a sample command if there is batch mode?
Metagenerator 3 uses .NET framework 2 and thus is a Windows-only program. It also does not have a command line interface. It (and VAP) use theTVDB.com searches for TV shows, using their standard API to retrieve XML. I could furnish code snippets but if you're not using C# it's probably easier to start from scratch.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #3413
sanjonny

Quote:
No hacks necessary for WAN side access - none of my TiVos are hacked. You have to port forward public (WAN) side ports to your Tivo. As an example for my Dlink router
"Virtual Server page"

Assume:
TiVo LAN IP = 192.168.10.194
Router WAN IP = 123.45.67.89

In router Virtual Server Page setup:
HTTP forwarding
Public TCP port = 1111
IP Address = 192.168.10.194, Private TCP port = 80

HTTPS forwarding
Public TCP port = 2222
IP Address = 192.168.10.194, Private TCP port = 443

The router then automatically forwards anything connecting on WAN side on port 1111 to 192.168.10.194:80 and anything on port 2222 to 192.168.10.194:443

So, when running kmttg outside my LAN I specify in kmttg config that all 3 of my Premieres have the same WAN IP address but different http/https ports. For the TiVo in example above I then enter in kmttg config->Tivo tab:
Name = whatever
IP = 123.45.67.89 (the WAN side IP)
wan http port = 1111
wan https port = 2222

So then kmttg uses:
123.45.67.89:1111 to get to 192.168.10.194:80
123.45.67.89:2222 to get to 192.168.10.194:443

Works fine. I've been doing it for years with multiple TiVos.

For your other issue don't know what to say. I don't do anything unusual in Java Swing code AFAIK and I've never seen the issue (writing this message right now with firefox opened on the top of kmttg window the whole time) so wouldn't know where to begin to look into it.
I understand the port forwarding thing, I have several port forwards going on, more specifically being it works for you might be that I am using dyndns but I am guessing that shouldn't matter but will try just the numbers instead.

So my setup is wan side 3333 for port 80 and 3334 for 443. My TiVo is at 192.168.0.33 and my dyns is sanjonnyboy.homiep.net. My only other thought is maybe they are too close together on wan side. I use dd-wrt and forward 3333 to 192.168.0.33:80 and 3334 to 192.168.0.33:443.

So I route to sanjonnyboy.homeip.net:3333 and 3334 in kmttg and it works fine inside my LAN, but outside I get the errors. Typing into my address bar in firefox sanjonnyboy.homeip.net:3334 inside my LAN works fine to get the show transfer interface page but outside I get the message like, download is for intranet only or whatever it is, I will check later.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #3414
sanjonny

One other thought on the java thing. Try not minimizing kmttg and then select a folder or firefox or whatever, that brings it to the foreground. If I minimize all, there is no bleed thru, but if I don't and just hit something on the task bar and start working, kmttg will bleed thru after a short time.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #3415
moyekj

So as a simple test, then the following should work outside your LAN to give you the TiVo congratulations page:
http://sanjonnyboy.homiep.net:3333/index.html

I don't know if 3333 is the actual port you used, but that doesn't work for me.

(P.S. nslookup finds the apparently mis-spelled homiep, not homeip)

Old 10-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #3416
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Metagenerator 3 uses .NET framework 2 and thus is a Windows-only program. It also does not have a command line interface. It (and VAP) use theTVDB.com searches for TV shows, using their standard API to retrieve XML. I could furnish code snippets but if you're not using C# it's probably easier to start from scratch.
OK thanks. Looks kind of a pain as it requires an API Key registration in order for XML queries to work and if I sign up for an API key for kmttg then I would be responsible for any potential abuses that may result.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #3417
jcthorne

Well, I suppose I can try to get VAP/Video Redo to take over the processing after kttmg finishes the download. Was trying to have kttmg complete the task on its own without manual intervention for each file.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:33 PM   #3418
mattack

Quote:
I think for curl there is no default timeout. For java based downloads I have read timeout set to 120 seconds. Can't say I remember having a download I couldn't cancel before, but I haven't tried it following a rebooting TiVo. Perhaps try java downloads for a while to see if they behave any better for you.
Where do I turn on java downloads? Are there any other benefits/detriments to using java downloads vs curl? (I'm not at home at the moment or I could try.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:36 PM   #3419
mattack

The Now Playing list is effectively URLs to each show, with a show ID that doesn't change, right?

i.e. I have left kmttg running before, and can keep using it after deleting shows/recording new ones, without updating the now playing list.

So basically, my request would be to have a way to KEEP the Now Playing list across launches. This would let me be able to almost always keep the pref to 1 page of updates (thanks for adding that!), but still have the full list (from an older fetch of everything) between launches.

...or instead, have the Now Playing list update dynamically, and let me use it while it's fetching (that's even better).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #3420
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Where do I turn on java downloads? Are there any other benefits/detriments to using java downloads vs curl? (I'm not at home at the moment or I could try.)
It's a checkbox under File->Configure..->Program Options

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote