TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #301
trackie999

Doug,

Would you confirm that non-SDV shows continue to record even though tuning adapter screen is displaying. (I am 99% certain that they will record with that screen up)

Also, when you turn on the TV after 7AM, are you greeted with said tuning adapter connected screen or does it go away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJohnson View Post
I don't think we need to force the update. I'm in my fifth day of using an ordinary household 120v timer to power off the tuning adapter for 4 hours in the early morning (3-7 am). I choose that time range because my to do list doesn't have anything during that time.

It is working perfectly. The GC completes within a couple of hours. The schedule updates occur automatically. There seem to be no bad side effects.

I have a OLED S3 with 1TB and a Motorola tuning adapter. The cable is split before the TA so TiVo gets a signal regardless of whether the TA is powered on or not.

While I'm not happy to need this workaround, it seems perfectly useable.

Yes, thanks to trackie999. Your research gave me the hints needed to try this approach.
-- Doug

trackie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #302
DougJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackie999 View Post
Doug,

Would you confirm that non-SDV shows continue to record even though tuning adapter screen is displaying. (I am 99% certain that they will record with that screen up)
I scheduled a recording for one of the local channels at 5:30 am and it recorded just fine. So, yes. It records with TA disconnected screen showing. Also with the TA connected screen showing.

I have some inconclusive evidence that powering down the TA may interrupt a recording of a non-SDV channel. I have a partial recording of a show that may have been recording at the time the TA was powered off. It was not an SDV channel. Just the one, but I don't often have partial recordings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackie999 View Post
Also, when you turn on the TV after 7AM, are you greeted with said tuning adapter connected screen or does it go away?
Yes, I do get the tuning adapter connected screen. That's the only downside I've seen to this approach and it's really minor.

OLED S3 with 1TB and Motorola TA.

-- Doug
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #303
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

After successfully updating everything, has anyone had any issues with programs not showing up in Season Passes even though they're in the guide data? THis is what's happening to me (I can test because I have two tivos, one with the TA issue and digital channels and one without).
Both Tivos have current guide data and GC data.

Let's pick The Backyardigans. On the old Tivo, I see this (you see 29 upcoming episodes):

I check the new Tivo (the one with the recent problems) and I see this (not even showing up in a search):

So I check the actual guide data for that channel and see it listed, and when I click on it, I get the full program description:

But I click on view upcoming episodes, I get this (not even the episode that got me to that screen):

So it's not like I can even search for and create a new season pass, because the guide data isn't appearing in searches... And this is happening to A LOT of my shows.

Ideas? Ideas? I am beyond frustrated. (I cross-posted in this forum in case it's a separate issue, though I have to believe the two issues are related.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sushikitten : 10-25-2011 at 01:21 PM.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #304
WO312

I have not had that problem.

From the screen that says "Record this episode also", it's obvious that there is a season pass and it knows it. Have you tried to select that, and see what happens?

Personally, I would do a reboot and let it settle down a bit after that. Never hurts to reboot, and sometimes helps.

Maybe someone else has a better answer.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #305
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
anyone had any issues with programs not showing up in Season Passes even though they're in the guide data?
Yes, it happened to mine. I believe it's a byproduct of doing the channel lineup fix after selecting a different channel lineup.

Select live guide function; find the programming in question. Select it, then make a new season pass.

I know it's a pain; but what can we do???

I'm hoping for a Christmas wind fall, buying a Tivo Elite will by my final solution...
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #306
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps

Yes, it happened to mine. I believe it's a byproduct of doing the channel lineup fix after selecting a different channel lineup.

Select live guide function; find the programming in question. Select it, then make a new season pass.

I know it's a pain; but what can we do???

I'm hoping for a Christmas wind fall, buying a Tivo Elite will by my final solution...
That doesn't work for me. I deleted the old SP, went to Live Guide, found an upcoming episode, set the new SP, and it still doesn't show any upcoming recordings (but I can see them in Live Guide).

Interestingly, it's mostly kid networks like Disney and Nick Jr.

How is an Elite different? Does it not require a tuning adapter?

Old 10-25-2011, 03:55 PM   #307
Teeps

Quote:
How is an Elite different? Does it not require a tuning adapter?
From what I have read:
different os
2tb drive already installed

4 (four) count them 4 tuners!
can record 4 streams whilst watching recorded show.

yes does require t/a; but I'm hopeful the newer os does not have the problem we are experiencing with our S3s.

Last edited by Teeps : 10-25-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #308
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

With my luck, I'd have the same issues after spending $800.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:03 PM   #309
wtherrell

Big Grin Well, now! Success, --I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
The new Tuning Adapter I got for my new Premiere Elite is the same Cisco STA1520 model number as the one on my THD. There are some differences, however. Slightly larger/modified enclosure. During installation the CR on the CC install hotline said that is was one of the newer models and that they could not see the MAC from their head end as they could on the previous one. So there must be some firmware differences even if still model STA 1520. The TIVOs and TAs are sitting together in the shelf. I propose to try the following:
Swap the USB connections between the tuners and THD, Elite, i.e. New TA to old HD and old TA to new Elite. I think I will not have to swap out the Coax connections (right??)
1. If the problem with the THD goes away or changes to the Elite, then we have our answer.
2. If the problem remains with the THD then swapping TAs does no good but raises a question.
What is different in the Premiere OS software that it does not have this problem?? I have noticed that on the Premiere Elite that GC always completes a few minutes before the daily guide call. On one occasion the call actually skipped a day but again GC completed a few minutes ahead of the call. Was this because it was waiting for GC completion before making the call? Don't know, but I can't help wondering why the TA does not interfere with the Elite's GC but does interfere with the HD's GC.

In any case it is clear that TIVO's CS position that the problem is failing HDD is total BS stonewalling. Come on, TIVO! Stop ignoring the problem, acknowledge that it is not due to failing HDD, and fix it!!
Sunday afternoon, October 25 I crossed the USB cables as indicated above. Both TIVOs have continued to tune the SDV channels even though their USBs were connected to a different TA than their Coax. I left them completely alone. Both TIVOs ran their service connection calls each day.
Then:
Today, Tuesday October 27, both TIVO's completed GC all on their own. The Elite with the older TA updated GC today at 11:20 AM. The THD with the newer TA updated GC at 4:24 PM. This is the first time in nearly a year that the THD updated GC on it's own!!
I hope I am not jumping the gun here and that this is not just a coincidence. Time will tell but it is now apparent that:
1. The premiere Elite has no problem with either of the Cisco STA1520s.
2. The THD, which never in recent memory updated GC on its own with the older model TA has now done so on its first try after two days with the newer model 1520.
I am going to leave them both alone until Sunday October 30 and see what happens. If the good news turns into a trend by then I will try go into the TA diagnostics and report what model, version, etc. Info I can find. I will probably need some guidance on exactly what to look for there.
This is at least a preliminary indication that the THD GC that did not work with the older incarnation of the TA works with the newer one.
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:10 PM   #310
pninen

Clearly when (for some folks) the tuning adapter is connected, somehow the database garbage collection task is disrupted. We don't know how or why.

My theory is that there is some (unexpected, inappropriate, random, ???) activity on the USB interface between the TA and the TiVo when the TA shouldn't be doing anything.

I'm in the process of borrowing a USB capture device to stick in between.

Is the protocol on the tuning adapter's USB cable public? If so, where do I look to find it?
pninen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #311
chrisdfw

I give up! TiVo up on eBay and ordering a new Media Center PC.
chrisdfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #312
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJohnson View Post
I scheduled a recording for one of the local channels at 5:30 am and it recorded just fine. So, yes. It records with TA disconnected screen showing. Also with the TA connected screen showing.

I have some inconclusive evidence that powering down the TA may interrupt a recording of a non-SDV channel. I have a partial recording of a show that may have been recording at the time the TA was powered off. It was not an SDV channel. Just the one, but I don't often have partial recordings.

Yes, I do get the tuning adapter connected screen. That's the only downside I've seen to this approach and it's really minor.

OLED S3 with 1TB and Motorola TA.

-- Doug
I have conclusive evidence of a recording interruption.

Tonight, both while turning the TA off, and then turning it back on 2 hours later after the GC update, the Tivo stopped recording what it was doing. And both channels reverted to the same station, one of which was the one it was recording.

So while the power button off thing works very well, DO NOT turn it on or off while recording a show. Why does it do that?? And is it related to our problem?

Other than that, the power button fix is working great. I am getting GC updates very quickly, even without doing the forced call.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #313
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
Sunday afternoon, October 25 I crossed the USB cables as indicated above. Both TIVOs have continued to tune the SDV channels even though their USBs were connected to a different TA than their Coax. I left them completely alone. Both TIVOs ran their service connection calls each day.
Then:
Today, Tuesday October 27, both TIVO's completed GC all on their own. The Elite with the older TA updated GC today at 11:20 AM. The THD with the newer TA updated GC at 4:24 PM. This is the first time in nearly a year that the THD updated GC on it's own!!
I hope I am not jumping the gun here and that this is not just a coincidence. Time will tell but it is now apparent that:
1. The premiere Elite has no problem with either of the Cisco STA1520s.
2. The THD, which never in recent memory updated GC on its own with the older model TA has now done so on its first try after two days with the newer model 1520.
I am going to leave them both alone until Sunday October 30 and see what happens. If the good news turns into a trend by then I will try go into the TA diagnostics and report what model, version, etc. Info I can find. I will probably need some guidance on exactly what to look for there.
This is at least a preliminary indication that the THD GC that did not work with the older incarnation of the TA works with the newer one.
Very interesting. I hope Teeps does the TA switch to see if he gets a fix also. If he does, I'll swap my TA out pronto.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #314
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdfw View Post
I give up! ordering a new Media Center PC.
Good luck with that...
Old 10-26-2011, 11:03 PM   #315
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Good luck with that...
Agreed. In my setup, I have 3 Tivos, a TWC HD DVR, and a media center PC. It's a tie between TWC and the PC as to which one is the worst. And nobody speaks well of the TWC DVR.

Now I'm using Windows 7 Media Center. Perhaps one of the commercial interfaces is better.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #316
chrisdfw

I have a one with in the bedroom that has been working well. Since the suggestion bug, the only think keeping me was the recorded program interface. I hate how media center displays them. Then I found this http://www.recordedtvhd.com/. Think XBMC type of menu only for your recorded programs. That and the new system will have 7 tuners and 4TB of storage. I love my TiVo, would still be with my TiVo if they fixed the bugs. No suggestions with Tuning adaptor bug, Program info running out GC failing bug, I hit the too many messages when you schedule online season passes bug too. Just too many issues that have not been fixed. A new Premier Elite with lifetime will cost almost the same as above and has its own bugs.

Last edited by chrisdfw : 10-27-2011 at 04:18 PM.
chrisdfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #317
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
Very interesting. I hope Teeps does the TA switch to see if he gets a fix also. If he does, I'll swap my TA out pronto.
Swapped out the t/a this afternoon. Got another just like it, far as I can determine.

There was a successful GC this morning around 3am (t/a powered down by lamp timer) so I will turn the timer off and see how it goes over the weekend.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #318
tootal2

I use windows media center to. I only use it to record local shows with a antenna. But with cable card adapter at 300.00. I am thinking about it. If the cable card adapter gets to 200.00 i will buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdfw View Post
I give up! TiVo up on eBay and ordering a new Media Center PC.

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #319
WO312

Interesting TA disconnect behavior:

- If you either power on or power off with the button, the Tivo will stop any recordings, flush both buffers, and both tuners will tune to the same channel. It will NOT resume recording when you power the TA on. That is different behavior than if you do a reboot, at least as far as the recording.

- If you just disconnect the USB cable, the same thing happens, but you also get the TA Connected message when you plug the USB cable back in.

Just thought you'd like to know.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #320
denispelletier

No GC problem for a week now

Now I don't understand what's going on.

I've been having the GC problem for months now, which also got me an S03 error at some point. About ten days ago I again did the channel lineup fix to get GC to run. Well, since then GC runs every day. I did not change anything on the TiVo or with the tuning adapter.

I'm with Time Warner in Cary, NC.
denispelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #321
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by denispelletier View Post
Now I don't understand what's going on.

I've been having the GC problem for months now, which also got me an S03 error at some point. About ten days ago I again did the channel lineup fix to get GC to run. Well, since then GC runs every day. I did not change anything on the TiVo or with the tuning adapter.

I'm with Time Warner in Cary, NC.
I had my S03 error, as I recall, in July or so. I did a clear and delete everything but programs and my GC did fine for about a month. Then it crapped out again, and continues to do so. I hope your GC continues to work well.

I'm with TWC in Wilmington. Maybe you can send some good TA vibes down I-40.

I've been doing the power button thing every night for about a week now. Maybe I'll lay off for a few days and see what happens.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #322
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312

I'm with TWC in Wilmington.
/waves from Jacksonville

Old 10-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #323
Eccles
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtherrell
Any way to install an On/Off switch in the USB line?
You could try running it through a powered USB hub an put a timer on the power supply.
150-hour Premiere XL (Lifetime)
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #324
WO312

Quote:
/waves from Jacksonville
Then you can send good TA vibes down 17.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #325
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
Then you can send good TA vibes down 17.
Just hope they don't hang a left at Holly Ridge or Hampstead and head for Surf City or Topsail instead.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:32 AM   #326
Teeps

Quote:
Swapped out the t/a this afternoon. Got another just like it, far as I can determine.

There was a successful GC this morning around 3am (t/a powered down by lamp timer) so I will turn the timer off and see how it goes over the weekend.
There have been no successful GC updates since swapping the t/a on Thursday after noon (1530hrs) 27Oct2011.

So last night (30Oct2011) I turned the (t/a's) lamp timer back on.
This morning there was a successful GC reported beteen 0300hrs & 0400hrs (power restored to t/a @ 0400hrs.)

A t/a is connected message was on the screen. (no recordings scheduled)
Old 11-01-2011, 07:23 AM   #327
WO312

Quote:
There have been no successful GC updates since swapping the t/a on Thursday after noon (1530hrs) 27Oct2011.

So last night (30Oct2011) I turned the (t/a's) lamp timer back on.
This morning there was a successful GC reported beteen 0300hrs & 0400hrs (power restored to t/a @ 0400hrs.)

A t/a is connected message was on the screen. (no recordings scheduled)
Bummer. So I guess we can rule out a bad TA.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #328
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Just hope they don't hang a left at Holly Ridge or Hampstead and head for Surf City or Topsail instead.
With my luck, that's exactly what would happen.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:36 AM   #329
pninen

I just got a tuning adapter s/w update. 11/2/2011 2:36AM, San Diego Time Warner.

Before
Quote:
TiVo s/w 11.Ok-01-2-648
Tuning Adapter s/w
PTV OS: Explorer1kg6 NGP OS
Flash: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1402
App(s): SARA v1.61.41.a201
After:
Quote:
PTV OS: Explorer 1kg6 NGP OS
Flash: STA1.00_1520_LR_F.1501
App(s): SARA v1.61.41.a202
Both flash and app changed. Let us pray.
pninen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #330
terryjamison

Gc'n on it's own

last week, after unplugging the TA a second time, the TiVo is now GCing on its own. How long it will last, time will tell.
terryjamison is offline   Reply With Quote