TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > Developers Corner
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #421
jcthorne

Have not installed 2.0c just yet but found a pretty big bug in 2.0a.

I have two Tivo Premieres. If I access vidmgr and request a video, vidmgr reports it is cued for transfer to the tivo I am on. It transfers to the other one. I have checked the tivo config in vidmgr.ini watching the pytivo cmd window, its getting and executing a command to send to the wrong tivo. Something is not matching up.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #422
jbernardis

I have two tivos too - although they are both series 3's. I have pushed successfully to both of them, although admittedly it's been a while since I've done so to the Family Room tivo. I'll look at the code this weekend to see if I can see anything.

Edit: Actually I just looked at the code. You are saying that the message properly identifies the Tivo, but that the push goes to the wrong Tivo. The push does not use the Tivo Name - for that purpose, the tivo is identified by TSN. But both the name and TSN are read in in parallel and I don't see where the logic breaks down. The same index is used to retrieve the name and the TSN in successive statements. I will do some testing, but are you certain that you are using the correct TSN's in your ini file?
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jbernardis : 10-07-2011 at 02:52 PM.
jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:38 AM   #423
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
I have two tivos too - although they are both series 3's. I have pushed successfully to both of them, although admittedly it's been a while since I've done so to the Family Room tivo. I'll look at the code this weekend to see if I can see anything.

Edit: Actually I just looked at the code. You are saying that the message properly identifies the Tivo, but that the push goes to the wrong Tivo. The push does not use the Tivo Name - for that purpose, the tivo is identified by TSN. But both the name and TSN are read in in parallel and I don't see where the logic breaks down. The same index is used to retrieve the name and the TSN in successive statements. I will do some testing, but are you certain that you are using the correct TSN's in your ini file?
I rechecked the tsns in the vidmgr.ini against those in pytivo.conf and my tivo account. I have 2 tivos named Thornolis HT and Thornolis 2. While viewing Thronolis HT and using vidmgr I select a vid and it says it is sending. Watching pytivo and the commands it executes, the vid is sent to Thornolis 2. Have not tried the inverse but something is mixed up. Perhaps I can restart the tivos and pytivo yet again and see if anything changes but they have each been restarted multiple times in the last week for other reasons.

If I use pytivo's web interface to push a vid, it goes to the unit selected.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #424
jbernardis

I just put some debugging statements into vidmgr and tried pushing to both of my tivos. I even changed the names of my tivos so they sorted in a different order.

Everything worked as expected - the proper videos were pushed to the proper tivo.

I'm not saying there is not a bug, but it is eluding me based on the information I have so far.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

Old 10-09-2011, 05:56 AM   #425
jcthorne

Quote:
I just put some debugging statements into vidmgr and tried pushing to both of my tivos. I even changed the names of my tivos so they sorted in a different order.

Everything worked as expected - the proper videos were pushed to the proper tivo.

I'm not saying there is not a bug, but it is eluding me based on the information I have so far.

It could very well be something odd in my system or network. Any suggestions on how I might find the trouble or where its tripping, I'd be grateful to spend some time looking. Just not sure what else to check.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #426
MiltonDorkenhoff

EyeTV recordings and pyTivoX

In a few posts from 2008, there was a discussion of using pyTivoX on a mac to provide EyeTV mpegs to a TivoHD. From the thread, I thought support was added to pyTivoX, but maybe not.

I've installed the latest EyeTV (3.something), as well as pyTivoX (1.3). From my TivoHD's Now Playing list, I can see the EyeTV recording directory and navigate through it to find recordings, but as was discussed in the old thread, they are named cryptically - like "000123433232".

The NPL name is the same as what's on the Mac, but on the Mac, the cryptically named file is in a directory with the series and episode name (e.g. the directory would be called "House - whatever" and in there would be a cryptically named mpeg, along with an mp4 and a couple of other files).

Is there a config option somewhere to get pytivoX to use the parent directory name for the mpeg?

Thanks
MiltonDorkenhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #427
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I did add support for EyeTV, two years ago tomorrow. But you'd need something newer than pyTivoX 1.3, which is from August 2009.

Anyway, it's off-topic for this thread. You should take it to the pyTivo thread, or the pyTivo forum.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #428
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I have one video share in pytivo. It contains directories for movies, tv shows and concerts. When creating a virtual share, such as Movies by Genre, I only want items inthe movies directory, not from the tv shows. How do I specify that it only include items from specific directories? Do I have to create multiple video shares in pytivo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I was trying something like this too, using a values of isEpisode=false but wasn't having good luck with it.
I finally got back to messing around with this and still can't come up with a good way to create a virtual share for TV shows and one for movies. I've tried:

Code:
values=isEpisode=true,True,TRUE
for TV shows and
Code:
values=isEpisode=false,False,FALSE
for Movies, but both virtual shares end up exactly the same. My metadata files contain "isEpisode: false" so that should work, right?

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #429
jbernardis

Quote:
Code:
values=isEpisode=true,True,TRUE
and
Quote:
Code:
values=isEpisode=false,False,FALSE
are incorrect syntax. The second '=' should be a colon ':'. So this should be
Code:
values=isEpisode:true,True,TRUE
etc.

Hopefully this will work - let me know if it doesn't.

Also, I'm not against an enhancement that allows a virtual share to be built based on file location instead of just metadata. If you want that, let's come up with a design and I can see how difficult it would be to add.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #430
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
... are incorrect syntax. The second '=' should be a colon ':'. So this should be
Code:
etc.

Hopefully this will work - let me know if it doesn't.
That was a typo in my post. In my vidmgr.ini file I do have the correct syntax. Sorry about that.

|
Old 10-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #431
jbernardis

I added the following lines to my vidmgr.ini:
Code:
[test episode]
values = isEpisode:True,true,TRUE

[test not episode]
values = isEpisode:false,False,FALSE
and it worked like a charm. I got two virtual shares, one named "test episode" that contained only videos that had isEpisode to true, and a second named "test not episode" where the same metadata item was false. It demonstrated to me that my metadata needs some cleaning up, but the two shares were definitely disjoint.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #432
windracer
joined the 10k club

Ok, I found my problem. I didn't understand that a virtual share could only have one of either values or tags. I was trying to do:

Code:
[TV Shows by Genre]
tags=vPrimaryGenre
values=isEpisode:false,False,FALSE

[Movies by Genre]
tags=vPrimaryGenre
So I fixed that to just use the values line and it worked as you described. Unfortunately I can't use vPrimaryGenre as the group by because I get an error that the grouping item can't be a list (I guess due to multiple vPrimaryGenre values in the metadata?).

Close enough, though, thanks!

|
Old 10-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #433
jbernardis

Windracer

I saw your response last night, but it wasn't until later that it suddenly hit me. I think I have a solution to what you want to do, but it depends on if my assumptions are true.

Assumption number 1: I am unfamiliar with the metatage vPrimaryGenre - I assume this is your invention.

Assumption number 2: I assume based on the name, that you only ever have a single item for this tag - that being the main genre for the video.

If these are both true, then your solution is simple - just remove the 'v' from the tag name (vPrimaryGenre becomes PrimaryGenre) and it will no longer be parsed as a list. Vidmgr uses basically the same metadata parsing algorithm as pytivo (and I believe this is a tivo convention) - all tags that start with a lower case v can occur multiple times and are therefore parsed as a list - EVEN IF THERE IS ONLY 1 OCCURRENCE.

Remove the v, it will no longer be a list, and can be then used as your grouping item.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:25 AM   #434
windracer
joined the 10k club

vPrimaryGenre was added by Metagenerator 3 so that vidmgr users wouldn't have these long lists of genres due to crazy data like "20th Century Fox" or "Science-Fiction" vs "Sci-Fi" and such. Unfortunately, it IS a list (a file can have multiple vPrimaryGenre items) but I'll play around and see what happens.

Thanks again!

|
Old 10-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #435
jcthorne

I ended up defining two seperate pytivo video shares for television and movies. Now the movies by genre lists are correct, the folder itself presents an overall alphabetical list by title. The television shows I do not sort by genre, only by show, season.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #436
windracer
joined the 10k club

Ok, yeah, splitting my physical pyTivo shares might be the way to go, good idea.

|
Old 10-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #437
cweb

Been using videomgr .7c on my Mac for a while with good success. Although I read this thread regularly, somewhere I had a mind cramp and missed that there is a version 2. Can I run both versions simultaneously?
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #438
lrhorer

Quote:
That's definitely the case. I run vidmgr on Linux, but I tried opening the vidmgr.ini file in my default editor (Notepad++) and Windows Notepad. Notepad is definitely not interpreting the Unix-style CR/LFs properly. Notepad++ is just fine.
Whoever wrote notepad.exe should be strung up by their gonads. For a Windows flat text editor, I heartily recommend Edit Plus, although I prefer Verison 2 to Version 3. It also runs just fine under wine.

Last edited by lrhorer : 10-22-2011 at 03:09 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #439
lrhorer

Quote:
Is there something I am supposed to be doing to have vidmgr2 save the cache? When it lauches from the tivo menu, it takes 4 to 5 minutes to start.
It should not take that long to build the cache.

Quote:
The share has 6580 videos according to vidmgr.
Not even with that many videos.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #440
lrhorer

Quote:

No problems here. I have two S3 TiVos and a THD. Pushes always go to the correct TiVo. Well, they always go to the SELECTED TiVo. I don't always select the correct TiVo.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #441
lrhorer

For Noobs

For those wondering what all the fuss about vidmgr is, as they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words." Here are four screen shots of vidmgr 2.0 using my own background. I like the gray background.

Last edited by lrhorer : 10-23-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #442
lrhorer

Quote:
I ended up defining two seperate pytivo video shares for television and movies. Now the movies by genre lists are correct, the folder itself presents an overall alphabetical list by title. The television shows I do not sort by genre, only by show, season.
Oh, I do, and one of my Genres is "Series". Every TV series metafile has that in it.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #443
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweb View Post
Been using videomgr .7c on my Mac for a while with good success. Although I read this thread regularly, somewhere I had a mind cramp and missed that there is a version 2. Can I run both versions simultaneously?
You can - but you have to make some changes. What I'd do is name version 2 vidmgrHD, make sure it is in a directory named vidmgrHD, and inside that directory, edit __init__.py and change the name of the main class from Vidmgr to VidmgrHD.

I guess the reason you want to do this is because you have both SD and HD tivos on your network. If this is the case, be aware that BOTH the SD and HD versions of the program will appear on both tivo's menus. You just cannot select the HD version from the SD tivo (well- you can, but it wont work )

Old 10-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #444
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
It should not take that long to build the cache.

Not even with that many videos.
Actually I've found that there is a significant difference between windows and linux when it comes to building the cache, and the culprit is the mechanism I use to determine if two files are in fact the same file (they are links to the same physical file). On Linux, I simply stat the file and get the inode number - a very inexpensive operation. Although the windows library gives us a stat function, it returns inode number 1 (or was it 0?) for every file, so it couldn't be used. I found some godawful algorithm on the internet that does what I want, but it's quite expensive.

If you are running on Windows and have a video collection of any significance, I recommend that you build the cache ahead of time.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #445
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Oh, I do, and one of my Genres is "Series". Every TV series metafile has that in it.
This is a good point. You are NOT limited by the metadata tags or values that tivo/pytivo/kmttg/metagenerator gives you - you can invent your own and base your virtual shares on that new data. The only caveat that I mentioned above is that a tag beginning with a lower case 'v' is assumed to be a list (an array) and will be parsed as such. Because of this, it cannot be used as a grouping item.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #446
lrhorer

Quote:
Actually I've found that there is a significant difference between windows and linux when it comes to building the cache, and the culprit is the mechanism I use to determine if two files are in fact the same file (they are links to the same physical file).
Oh. I've never tried it under Windows. (You have a flair for under-statement. A factor of 60 is definitely "significant".) I've gone through my server and deleted a bunch of junk I no longer want, but still:

Code:
RAID-Server:/usr/share/pyhme# time ./BuildCache 
Processing video share RAID Server
1466 Videos found
Processing video share Videos by Genre
5067 Videos found
Processing DVD share DVD
83 DVD Videos found
Processing video share Unverified
0 Videos found
Browse Series count: 411 videos in 9 groups
Browse by Actor count: 1466 videos
Browse by Channel count: 1461 videos
Browse by Director count: 1449 videos
Browse by Genre count: 1050 videos
Browse by Producer count: 195 videos
Videos Sorted by Alpha count: 1053 videos
Videos Sorted by Date count: 1549 videos

real    0m5.686s
user    0m5.424s
sys     0m0.264s
That's on an older 2.4 GHz dual core AMD system.

Quote:
If you are running on Windows and have a video collection of any significance, I recommend that you build the cache ahead of time.
Yeah, I would say so, for certain. I even recommend it for Linux or Mac systems. Six seconds isn't really that much, but people can be impatient.

Last edited by lrhorer : 10-22-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #447
lrhorer

Quote:
This is a good point. You are NOT limited by the metadata tags or values that tivo/pytivo/kmttg/metagenerator gives you - you can invent your own and base your virtual shares on that new data. The only caveat that I mentioned above is that a tag beginning with a lower case 'v' is assumed to be a list (an array) and will be parsed as such. Because of this, it cannot be used as a grouping item.
Right. To handle that limitation, I also have isEpisodic set to true in every series video. Thus, the "Browse by Genre" share has a group named "Series" in it with all the series sorted by name and (if it exists) episode number, while the "Browse by Series" share only has series in it, grouped by series name.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #448
lrhorer

Quote:
Ok, yeah, splitting my physical pyTivo shares might be the way to go, good idea.
I take a little different approach. I simply create a separate directory under the main share for each series, and the file naming rules are different in the series directories. In the main share, I simply have

<Video Name> (Recorded <Day> <Date>, <Channel>).mp[4g]

In the series directories I use either

<Series Name> - <Episode Name> (Recorded <Day> <Date>, <Channel>).mp[4g]

if the series is not chronological (i.e. - the original Star Trek TV series). or else

<Series Name> - Sxx Eyy - <Episode Name> (Recorded <Day> <Date>, <Channel>).mp[4g]

if it was a serial where order was important.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #449
cweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis

I guess the reason you want to do this is because you have both SD and HD tivos on your network. If this is the case, be aware that BOTH the SD and HD versions of the program will appear on both tivo's menus. You just cannot select the HD version from the SD tivo (well- you can, but it wont work )
I apologize, I am confused by what we are talking about regarding HD. I have all TiVo HDs and premieres. However, I have recode non HD content such as the BBC when it was only available as a non Hd channel. Should I be able to push these SD shows with ver 2.0?
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #450
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweb View Post
I apologize, I am confused by what we are talking about regarding HD. I have all TiVo HDs and premieres. However, I have recode non HD content such as the BBC when it was only available as a non Hd channel. Should I be able to push these SD shows with ver 2.0?
Vidmgr does not do any of the transferring. It is merely a front end for pyTivo that is available on the TiVo. Other than the file extension and the information in the metafile, vidmgr neither knows nor cares anything at all of the video itself. Vidmgr will simply notify pyTivo it needs to induce the Tivo to transfer the file in question. If it is a valid video file as recognized by ffmpeg, then pyTivo will tell the mind server to have the TiVo request the video. It doesn't make any difference in this context whether the video is SD or HD.

Last edited by lrhorer : 10-23-2011 at 10:58 PM.