TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-21-2011, 10:08 AM   #8191
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosincharlotte View Post
phone reps and his supervisor say the service location is wrong. Who knows at this point, they are tracking down a HD m-stream card for me right now.
Where is Comcast in Charlotte?

That is Charter Country
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #8192
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymann View Post
There really aren't very many single stream cards floating around any more. Any cablecard they can find should be fine. It doesn't have to be "HD". I don't even think there is such a thing.
Yes - there are NO HD Cable Cards.

Yet another lie Mr. hoosincharlotte is being fed by Customer Service
Old 10-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #8193
hoosincharlotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
Where is Comcast in Charlotte?

That is Charter Country
Was in Charlotte, now in Charleston, should have chosen a username that wasn't location based!

I'm so fed up with Comcast, if ATT Uverse supported TIVO, I'd have switched years ago.
hoosincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #8194
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
The 29.99 they want to charge is so hard to agree to
http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FA...4-def06cced0db
Atomic Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #8195
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosincharlotte
Anyone else been told by Comcast that their M-stream card does not support the HD steam to use in the premiere? Just got the premiere and went to exchange my old HD box for a card and join the new century only to find out I have to get the card in addition to my HD box for 8.50 more a month. Is my local office screwing with me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz

That is the most nonsensical I have heard.

It works fine in my premiere
Agreed. My old M-card that was working fine in my HD now works fine in my Premiere. They are confused. Call back and get a supervisor and if you get the nonsense from the supervisor, get a manager. That is what I did and it all worked out - no truck roll.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #8196
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Taco View Post
I think hoosincharlotte was referring to the charge for the truck roll, and not the charge for the cablecard.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #8197
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
I think hoosincharlotte was referring to the charge for the truck roll, and not the charge for the cablecard.
I see, gotta read between the lines. But that link is quite handy; many reps seem to think the charge for cards is different than what's listed there.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #8198
danjw1

Quote:
They told me they stopped carrying the HD m-stream card a couple months ago (when the self install was mandated). I'm flabbergasted. 4 days without TIVO with the digital switch, going through withdrawal...
There are lies and there are damn lies. That one is the later. Either they don't know what they are talking about or they are trying to screw you. Ignore what they said. The one thing you can't do is get any on demand content. Comcast is supposed to be working with Tivo to get that working, but that is likely just for the Premiere models.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #8199
hoosincharlotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjw1 View Post
There are lies and there are damn lies. That one is the later. Either they don't know what they are talking about or they are trying to screw you. Ignore what they said. The one thing you can't do is get any on demand content. Comcast is supposed to be working with Tivo to get that working, but that is likely just for the Premiere models.
Thanks for the confirmation. For once the phone reps knew something.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #8200
hoosincharlotte

Finally got someone who had a clue, headed to get my cableCARD and hopefully will have the premiere up and running tonight at sometime!
Old 10-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #8201
drhankz

Quote:
Finally got someone who had a clue, headed to get my cableCARD and hopefully will have the premiere up and running tonight at sometime!
Don't BET on it.

Getting the Cable Card only gets you to the NEXT STEP.

PAIRING
Old 10-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #8202
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I think some phone techs simply don't want to deal with pairing cards.

</snip>

Why some phone reps refuse to pair cards is beyond me. Maybe they're just lazy. I really wish there was a way of reporting those reps to Comcast.
If what you're calling is the cable card pairing hot line then what they're refusing to do is their job. That's the only reason they're there, to pair cable cards.

Must be nice to get a check for NOT doing your job...
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #8203
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
Don't BET on it.

Getting the Cable Card only gets you to the NEXT STEP.

PAIRING
The voice of hope...
Old 10-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #8204
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm

If what you're calling is the cable card pairing hot line then what they're refusing to do is their job. That's the only reason they're there, to pair cable cards.

Must be nice to get a check for NOT doing your job...
Technically it's the activation line, as they also activate cable boxes. I agree though that they're either intentionally not doing their job or not qualified to do their job. Either way they shouldn't be there.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #8205
hoosincharlotte

Got the card, called and got the card activated from the 877 number, took all of 6 minutes to get a picture after the card firmware updated. So far, so good on getting the tivo up and running!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #8206
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Argh - well between an hour going out to comcast's office to pick up the card plus probably at least that long talking to 3 different techs, and still no luck, a truck roll isn't sounding so bad anymore. This is pretty ridiculous.
todd_j_derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #8207
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
This morning i got a call from Comcast at 10am saying that "engineering has fixed the problem"... not quite, but it was closer. last night I was getting OOB messages but "Con: No" and no channel list. This morning, I was happy to see "Con: Yes" but still no channel list even after waiting ~30 min. So, one more call to support and they sent another signal and lo and behold it's finally working.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #8208
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_j_derr View Post
This morning i got a call from Comcast at 10am saying that "engineering has fixed the problem"... not quite, but it was closer. last night I was getting OOB messages but "Con: No" and no channel list. This morning, I was happy to see "Con: Yes" but still no channel list even after waiting ~30 min. So, one more call to support and they sent another signal and lo and behold it's finally working.
Good to hear, it makes you wonder why that "engineer" guy isn't answering the phones. It's like out of 100 employees they have one person that knows what they're doing but customers can speak to him. We get the other 99...
Old 10-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #8209
Meiners95

Tivo premier cable card slot

Researching and looking to purchase a premier. I have 2 series 2 devices and so am a bit ignorant of the latest. I want to understand how many cable card slots are on the box. I have seen several references to two cards for two tuner recording, but it appears as though there os only one slot on the premier. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
Meiners95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #8210
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiners95 View Post
Researching and looking to purchase a premier. I have 2 series 2 devices and so am a bit ignorant of the latest. I want to understand how many cable card slots are on the box. I have seen several references to two cards for two tuner recording, but it appears as though there os only one slot on the premier. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
The Premiere has one slot. It can record two channels, provided you get an M-Card. Comcast doesn't have many S-Cards left.
The Premiere Elite has one slot and can record four channels with one M-Card.

The two channels/two slots have to do with the Series 3 and HD boxes. If you're only considering a Premiere, I won't expand any further--it gets quite confusing.

There are some nice hi-res product shots here if you're ever in question about ports.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #8211
lpwcomp

Quote:
The Premiere has one slot. It can record two channels, provided you get an M-Card. Comcast doesn't have many S-Cards left.
Part of the FCC regulation that went into effect on Aug. 8 is a requirement to issue M-cards.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #8212
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Good to hear, it makes you wonder why that "engineer" guy isn't answering the phones. It's like out of 100 employees they have one person that knows what they're doing but customers can speak to him. We get the other 99...
Yeah, it was frustrating Friday night, at one point the support guy was acting as a go-between to some other support department but flat out refused to let me talk to them directly. Oh well, apparently whoever he was talking to didn't know how to fix it either, it took someone else to figure it out... but I'm glad it got resolved in ~12 hours and I wasn't out of commission all weekend or however long it was going to take for a truck to show up.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:18 AM   #8213
El Gabito

At this point I'm pretty frustrated and ready to just give up on Comcast. This most horrible install experience I've ever had in my life.

After four calls to Comcast beginning on Wednesday and ending on Friday they determined that the CableCard I received is not working. So they want to send a technician out with several cards to get it working. It took three different people via phone just to get the standard Comcast DVR to work.

Long story short - I end up with an appointment for tomorrow from 1p-5p to set up the card. Fine - even though that's almost a week after my first attempt. THEN I get a call on Saturday, from someone who sounds totally apathetic, indicating that the scheduled tech was in the wrong dept, etc etc and someone will be out on the 3rd from 1-5p. TWO DAYS LATER? Seriously? Guess what - I'm not even available that day, so it's very likely that it'll be even later in the week (if at all this week).

Should I try to swap the cablecard out locally and call again? I'm at the end of my rope and ready to give up.
El Gabito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:44 AM   #8214
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gabito View Post
Should I try to swap the cablecard out locally and call again? I'm at the end of my rope and ready to give up.
If you have to wait until the 3rd and if the office is close, I don't see a reason why not.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #8215
El Gabito

Well got two other cards and was able to get all channels except HD cable channels. Tech coming out today.

Such a hassle. Been over a week since first activation attempt.
El Gabito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #8216
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gabito View Post
Well got two other cards and was able to get all channels except HD cable channels. Tech coming out today.

Such a hassle. Been over a week since first activation attempt.
At one time - I had 5 DVRs with Cable Cards.

It took 9 Cable Cards to end up with 5 that worked.

Their failure rate is high.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:30 AM   #8217
sm39049

I'm in CableCARD hell.

I'm new to Tivo, after ditching Dish Network for Comcast. Comcast's DVRs are horrible - Dish's 722 was far, far better. Since I'm using Comcast for voice and data, I figured I might as well get the discount, and do everything with Comcast. I'm starting to regret it.

My new Premiere XL seems like a nice box, but I can't get the CableCARD to activate.

The story so far:

Saturday: pick up Tivo Premiere XL from Best Buy. Pick up M-card from Comcast service center. Take it home, try to get it setup. Tivo setup goes well, but card never seems to activate. Comcast support "sends the three hits to the box" - several times, no change. I get "Con=Yes", but the channel list is never received. Sits at the "Please wait... Acquiring Channel Information" screen forever.

Sunday: Comcast tech comes out, and I get Tivo support on the speaker phone. We try a bunch of things, including testing the cable, three different M-cards, and sending activation multiple times. No luck. Old crappy Xfiniity HD DVR works fine, of course.

Tivo support runs out of ideas, as does Comcast. They agree I should replace my Tivo. I swap it out at Best Buy, who gives me a previously opened one without my knowledge. It's already been configured for someone else. I tried to get the CableCARD activated with it. I saw "Con=Yes" change to "Con=No." I figured it was the previously used Tivo, so I gave up and returned it to Best Buy. Had to drive to Fry's to get on that was actually new.

Called Tivo support, and had them on the line while I walked through setting up this third unit. He conferenced in Comcast support, and we tried to activate the card. No luck. This card appears to be stuck at "Con=No." We spend two hours on the phone with various Comcast support people, and no one could get it to work. They found a problem with my account settings, and the HostID, which the said that they changed, but here it is, over 24 hours later (12 of which I've spent on nothing else but this problem), and my third Tivo and third CableCARD in 24 hours has resulted in "Please wait... Acquiring Channel Information." I'm in hell.

My wife says I should just take it back, cancel Comcast, and go back to Dish. At least it worked. I don't want to give up so easily. I'm very frustrated, but what else is there to do? I feel like no one at Comcast has the ability to make this work.

Suggestions?
sm39049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:34 AM   #8218
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Are you calling the 888-COMCAST number or the 877 Comcast Activation number? Only the latter can activate the card.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:37 AM   #8219
sm39049

Quote:
Are you calling the 888-COMCAST number or the 877 Comcast Activation number? Only the latter can activate the card.
I didn't see the cable card activation number until I found this forum (877-405-2298). I tried the number, but it says their office is closed. It is Sunday night, so I'll try it tomorrow morning. Any idea what the hours of operation are?
sm39049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:40 AM   #8220
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm39049 View Post
I didn't see the cable card activation number until I found this forum (877-405-2298). I tried the number, but it says their office is closed. It is Sunday night, so I'll try it tomorrow morning. Any idea what the hours of operation are?
No clue, but Googling shows a 24 hour number: (855) 479-4541