TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #8191
TheLongshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
But I'd still be suspicious of the power supply.
I guess I do need to be now. Just tried to play something on the original drive and it rebooted on me.

Which means now I need to spend $100 bucks and wait a week because the only vendors of power supplies are on the west coast.
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #8192
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
I guess I do need to be now. Just tried to play something on the original drive and it rebooted on me.

Which means now I need to spend $100 bucks and wait a week because the only vendors of power supplies are on the west coast.
Before you blow a Benjamin, try the power the hard drive separately trick, and also closely inspect the power supply for capacitor disease.

Go to badcaps.net and to lcdalternatives to learn how to visually identify bad electrolytic capacitors. Sometimes it's nothing more than a slight bulge on the top (which should be perfectly flat).

The white stuff that looks like marshmellow creme on the power supply is just a kind of glue to hold things in place and not leakage from the caps.

$100 will buy a soldering iron, plenty of solder (use tin/lead, or maybe it's lead/tin, 63/37 or 60/40, rosin core), a solder sucker, and the necessary replacement capacitor(s), with a lot of lettuce left over.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:44 AM   #8193
lpwcomp

Quote:
The latter theory sounds more logical, since I fail to see how two drives could fail the same exact way.

Question is, what do I do about it? I hate to spend more money into the bottomless pit that is this Tivo and be unsure if it will actually solve the problem.

Edit: Maybe I shouldn't have spoken too soon. Turned it on today and it had a stuck reboot.

I swear, Tivo makes the most fragile POS electronics I've ever seen...
And you are sure that Intellipark was disabled on this drive?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:48 AM   #8194
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
And you are sure that Intellipark was disabled on this drive?
I think he (she?) is talking about with the original drive re-installed.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:07 AM   #8195
lpwcomp

Quote:
I think he (she?) is talking about with the original drive re-installed.
Ah. Missed that.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #8196
TheLongshot

Quote:
Before you blow a Benjamin, try the power the hard drive separately trick, and also closely inspect the power supply for capacitor disease.

Go to badcaps.net and to lcdalternatives to learn how to visually identify bad electrolytic capacitors. Sometimes it's nothing more than a slight bulge on the top (which should be perfectly flat).

The white stuff that looks like marshmellow creme on the power supply is just a kind of glue to hold things in place and not leakage from the caps.

$100 will buy a soldering iron, plenty of solder (use tin/lead, or maybe it's lead/tin, 63/37 or 60/40, rosin core), a solder sucker, and the necessary replacement capacitor(s), with a lot of lettuce left over.
Thanks for the advice. I read up on what you were saying and checked the power supply and motherboard. No bad caps as far as I can tell.

As for the hard drive trick, how do I manage that? Where do I find a separate power supply to run the hard drive? I wonder if Microcenter has something like that...
Old 10-16-2011, 10:42 PM   #8197
unitron

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I read up on what you were saying and checked the power supply and motherboard. No bad caps as far as I can tell.

As for the hard drive trick, how do I manage that? Where do I find a separate power supply to run the hard drive? I wonder if Microcenter has something like that...
Don't you know that you're supposed to have a spare, open cased, dedicated to TiVo-hacking, computer sitting next to the TiVo on which you're working?

Actually, if you have the hard drive attached as a load, you can use just an AT or ATX computer power supply by itself (for a short time, maybe 30 minutes max). The AT supply will have an actual switch (but no SATA power plugs, so you'll need an adapter). The ATX supply may or may not have a line switch, but you'll still need to temporarily short the proper pin* to ground to get it to "start".

As I think I said, start the drive first so that it's already spun up when you power up the TiVo.

*There should be only one green wire in the bundle running to the 20 or 24 pin motherboard plug, and it should be the 4th wire in from the corner. That's the PS_ON pin.

Here's a link to a pin-out diagram.

http://www.smpspowersupply.com/connectors-pinouts.html

Make "bleeping" sure you have the right wire before you short it to ground, which should be the black wire on either side.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:52 AM   #8198
TheLongshot

So, your solution is to hook up an ATX power supply (not exactly a lot of room where my Tivo is) to the hard drive, and leave it that way for a few months to see if MAYBE it will solve my problem?

Seems...Impractical. Particularly when I don't have an ATX power supply handy that isn't being used in a computer.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:03 AM   #8199
unitron

Quote:
So, your solution is to hook up an ATX power supply (not exactly a lot of room where my Tivo is) to the hard drive, and leave it that way for a few months to see if MAYBE it will solve my problem?

Seems...Impractical. Particularly when I don't have an ATX power supply handy that isn't being used in a computer.
My apologies for spending my time wasting yours trying to give you the benefit of my experience and knowledge, such as it is.

What I had in mind was to take your current situation--even original drive no longer works--and change one variable, the load on the power supply.

If letting the power supply put all of whatever it's got left into powering just the motherboard, while the drive is powered externally, is successful, where trying to power the board and the drive wasn't, then it shouldn't take a few months to take that as a pretty good indication that the power supply is no longer up to snuff.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:41 AM   #8200
TheLongshot

Quote:
My apologies for spending my time wasting yours trying to give you the benefit of my experience and knowledge, such as it is.

What I had in mind was to take your current situation--even original drive no longer works--and change one variable, the load on the power supply.

If letting the power supply put all of whatever it's got left into powering just the motherboard, while the drive is powered externally, is successful, where trying to power the board and the drive wasn't, then it shouldn't take a few months to take that as a pretty good indication that the power supply is no longer up to snuff.
And if I had an ATX power supply, maybe that would be a good idea. But, considering that buying and returning a Tivo power supply may be the same (and I wouldn't need to waste money on an ATX power supply that I don't need.), it seems to be the better idea just to buy the darn power supply and be done with it.

BTW, I do think your advice is valuable. I'm just trying to decide what is best for my situation.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:44 AM   #8201
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
I thought I would report I was able to copy and expand my factory TivoHD drive to 2TB using only Winmfs. I think the trick was shutting down and removing the factory drive after copy. I then booted back up and expanded the 2TB in winmfs. I got an error saying I was creating a partition larger than 1TB and I picked yes and presto. I had a 2TB TivoHD drive. Supersized...
I want to add to my report, once the drive got just over 300 gigs full it began rebooting every 20 minutes or so. WinMFS may not be the cause but it also may not be the solution.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:48 AM   #8202
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
I want to add to my report, once the drive got just over 300 gigs full it began rebooting every 20 minutes or so. WinMFS may not be the cause but it also may not be the solution.
So basically, WinMFS can't do what it said it can't do.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:04 AM   #8203
unitron

Quote:
And if I had an ATX power supply, maybe that would be a good idea. But, considering that buying and returning a Tivo power supply may be the same (and I wouldn't need to waste money on an ATX power supply that I don't need.), it seems to be the better idea just to buy the darn power supply and be done with it.

BTW, I do think your advice is valuable. I'm just trying to decide what is best for my situation.
You indicated possesion of an ATX supply in at least one computer.

Take the cover off of the computer. Take the cover off of the TiVo. Put the TiVo next to the computer. Hook up a portable TV to the TiVo. You should be able to get a power lead out of the computer far enough to connect to the Tivo drive if you put the TiVo drive right next to the computer, and you can borrow the data cable from the boot drive to connect the TiVo drive to the TiVo motherboard. Start the computer, that'll start the TiVo drive. Start the Tivo. See if it works with the power supply only having to power the motherboard. If it does, suspect the power supply of not being able to power both the motherboard and the hard drive.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #8204
TheLongshot

Quote:
You indicated possesion of an ATX supply in at least one computer.

Take the cover off of the computer. Take the cover off of the TiVo. Put the TiVo next to the computer. Hook up a portable TV to the TiVo. You should be able to get a power lead out of the computer far enough to connect to the Tivo drive if you put the TiVo drive right next to the computer, and you can borrow the data cable from the boot drive to connect the TiVo drive to the TiVo motherboard. Start the computer, that'll start the TiVo drive. Start the Tivo. See if it works with the power supply only having to power the motherboard. If it does, suspect the power supply of not being able to power both the motherboard and the hard drive.
Problem is getting the computer, Tivo and TV in the same room. My computer isn't near the Tivo, and the TV near my computer is a el cheapo coax-only SDTV.

I'll see what I can do...

Last edited by TheLongshot : 10-18-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #8205
unitron

Quote:
Problem is getting the computer, Tivo and TV in the same room. My computer isn't near the Tivo, and the TV near my computer is a el cheapo coax-only SDTV.

I'll see what I can do...
You know those little black and white battery/AC portable televisions the drugstores used to sell for $30 or $40, before the digital switchover? Some of them had composite video (yellow jack) and mono audio (white jack) inputs.

You ought to be able to find one cheap on Craigslist. It'll be good enough to see a TiVo bootup screen.

Alternatively, if you've got an old VCR still lying around somewhere you can use it to change composite video to channel 3 or 4 RF to feed that TV near your computer.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #8206
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Or just get a RF Modulator.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #8207
tuxedo125

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
The only way to find out if you need to adjust the Intellipark timeout is to perform the upgrade, install the drive in TiVo and see if it will boot up. If it boots up try a menu restart. If it reboots you're good to go. You can run the wdidle3.exe utility any time, before or after the upgrade.

Follow the directions in Section V, #14 of the first post on this thread.

Happy upgrading!
Rich I have a failing 1.5 GB Seagate ST31500541AS drive which I upgraded to an HD (03/2010). TIVO tech tells me the drive is failing..... it freezes up sometimes during a recorded show. I received an identical drive from Segate under warranty exchange.
I want to copy with MFScopy the old drive to the new. The old drive is hooked to my PC (Vista Business 32) using a SATA adapter using USB. The new is directly to my MB. WinMFS is currently performing the copy...... slowly given MFS Media Partitions. Will this work?

What about the step 18 message

18. Is there anything special I need to do for drives larger than 1TB?

You must start with an original (non-expanded) TiVo image; images from upgraded TiVos will not work. You must also use WinMFS to prepare drives larger than 1TB. Older tools such as MFSLive and InstantCake do not support >1TB capacities.

Under the latest version of WinMFS (v9.3f), the following message is displayed when you attempt to use a drive larger than 1TB:

Do I need to use my original 160GB drive? I would lose all my recordings and settings. How long will it take to copy the MFS Media Partitions?

Thanks much!!

Bill Beattie
tuxedo125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #8208
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedo125 View Post
Rich I have a failing 1.5 GB Seagate ST31500541AS drive which I upgraded to an HD (03/2010). TIVO tech tells me the drive is failing..... it freezes up sometimes during a recorded show. I received an identical drive from Segate under warranty exchange.
I want to copy with MFScopy the old drive to the new. The old drive is hooked to my PC (Vista Business 32) using a SATA adapter using USB. The new is directly to my MB. WinMFS is currently performing the copy...... slowly given MFS Media Partitions. Will this work?

What about the step 18 message

18. Is there anything special I need to do for drives larger than 1TB?

You must start with an original (non-expanded) TiVo image; images from upgraded TiVos will not work. You must also use WinMFS to prepare drives larger than 1TB. Older tools such as MFSLive and InstantCake do not support >1TB capacities.

Under the latest version of WinMFS (v9.3f), the following message is displayed when you attempt to use a drive larger than 1TB:

Do I need to use my original 160GB drive? I would lose all my recordings and settings. How long will it take to copy the MFS Media Partitions?

Thanks much!!

Bill Beattie
I don't know if rich is still lurking or not, he "retired", sort of, the other day from this site.

If you're going from drive to nearly identical drive (same LBA number, or larger, on second drive), you can just boot off of the MFS Live cd and use dd or dd_rescue to do a byte for byte copy. This will let you temporarily disconnect your Windows drive, both for safety and to free up its SATA port temporarily.

dd-rescue will let you run the -v option so that you can see what's going on while it's copying.

dd is a good way to get in trouble.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:24 AM   #8209
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
So basically, WinMFS can't do what it said it can't do.
But I confirmed it
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #8210
toups

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
With respect to the 1TB drives, the difference is nominal, about $10 now and at times it's less than that.

The only real advantage of the EURS over the EARS in a TiVo application is that the EURS already has the AAM set to the quietest level (128). You should be able to adjust the AAM on the EARS using HDDScan which is pretty easy...just an added step.

I say "should" because there are recent reports, specifically about the WD GP 2TB drives that indicate that you can no longer adjust the AAM (w/HDDscan).

All of that being said, the EARS drives (and in fact all of WD's GP drives) are very quiet out of the box and many folks never adjust the AAM. If the TiVo were in a bedroom or other situation where silence is golden, I guess I'd go for the A/V series like the EURS. Otherwise it's your call of course.
Emphasis added above for this discussion.

I recently upgraded an HD XL to a WD20EARS. HDDScan did not appear to allow me to adjust the AAM. Either I am doing something wrong or something has changed (per above highlighted) text.

I used the WDIDLE3 /D option. QUESTION: the "how to" at the beginning of the thread suggests /D in one spot and /S300 (i.e., only 300 seconds of pause) in another. Is there any reason why one would be better than another? Doesn't the unit even in standby without an active recording still do a live buffer? If so, then it will never go into park mode except on a boot cycle.
toups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #8211
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by toups View Post
Emphasis added above for this discussion.

I recently upgraded an HD XL to a WD20EARS. HDDScan did not appear to allow me to adjust the AAM. Either I am doing something wrong or something has changed (per above highlighted) text.

I used the WDIDLE3 /D option. QUESTION: the "how to" at the beginning of the thread suggests /D in one spot and /S300 (i.e., only 300 seconds of pause) in another. Is there any reason why one would be better than another? Doesn't the unit even in standby without an active recording still do a live buffer? If so, then it will never go into park mode except on a boot cycle.
If the "how many seconds of inactivity does the drive wait before parking the heads" setting is for enough seconds (300 equals 5 minutes), it amounts to pretty much the same thing as disabled, except theoretically the drive wouldn't waste any resources counting those seconds, so the one you use, disabled or whole bunch of seconds, is whichever one it'll let you use.

I think some of the drives won't let you actually disable, but will let you set the number plenty high.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:39 AM   #8212
toups

Quote:
If the "how many seconds of inactivity does the drive wait before parking the heads" setting is for enough seconds (300 equals 5 minutes), it amounts to pretty much the same thing as disabled, except theoretically the drive wouldn't waste any resources counting those seconds, so the one you use, disabled or whole bunch of seconds, is whichever one it'll let you use.

I think some of the drives won't let you actually disable, but will let you set the number plenty high.
Actually, I think /D on this drive sets it for something like 600 minutes and doesn't actually disable it.
toups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #8213
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:

Just for the record, you can get a USB to universal hard drive adapter on eBay for less than $10, shipped from the US. It includes a standalone power source for your IDE or SATA drive. Always good to have one (or more) of these adpaters on hand in any case.
lillevig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:54 PM   #8214
rick430

anyone expecting any new updates today or tomorrow.
rick430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #8215
V7Goose
Verizon FiOS

Big Grin HDD Power supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Just for the record, you can get a USB to universal hard drive adapter on eBay for less than $10, shipped from the US. It includes a standalone power source for your IDE or SATA drive. Always good to have one (or more) of these adpaters on hand in any case.
$6.55 here - power any drive.
http://www.amazon.com/USB-2-0-SATA-C...3NJXNS7TCXC7TB

Not only does it come with an external drive power supply (for both 110 and 220), you get a "GERTIFIED" USB 2.0 adaptor cable to connect BOTH IDE and SATA drives to a computer.

Seems like an unfreakinbelievable deal. I bought one a few weeks ago just because it looked like such a good deal I could not afford to NOT have one just sitting around on the shelf gathering dust!

Last edited by V7Goose : 10-24-2011 at 01:55 PM.
V7Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #8216
mattack

Last night, my TivoHD started rebooting *continuously*. It boots all the way until it JUST gets 'all the way booted', and reboots. I never saw the intro movie even start to play. If I hit the Tivo button at JUST the right moment, I can see the menus draw, but it seems to always reboot after a couple of seconds right after the boot has finished. (It has been flaky/rebooting for quite a while, even with the previous drive, which is why I thought I was having hardware probs other than the drive..) I put the orig drive back in, and it *seems* to be working.. (EXCEPT even after multiple connects, it *thinks* program info is going to run out. It successfully has loaded, and I can see programs in the LIVE guide only.. but any attempt to 'find programs' tells me it has run out of guide data.)

Anyway, it was a 2 TB Hitachi drive (I know it didn't actually use all the space). Anyway, at the moment, my questions are about saving the recordings. I suspect any new drive I get (Best Buy has a 2 TB Barracuda for $75, and I'm going to Fry's anyway too), if I just copy everything over with jmfs, it will reboot in exactly the same way.

Is there some way I can copy over the OS partitions from my known-good (or good enough!) orig Tivo HD drive and the programming partitions from the old drive.. to get the programming back.. or heck, even get it stable enough to boot and then I can start copying stuff off via tivotogo.

Thanks.. I'm going to get a drive now.

Last edited by mattack : 10-30-2011 at 07:53 PM.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #8217
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Last night, my TivoHD started rebooting *continuously*. It boots all the way until it JUST gets 'all the way booted', and reboots. I don't think I ever saw the intro movie play. If I hit the Tivo button at JUST the right moment, I can see the menus draw, but it seems to always reboot after a couple of seconds right after the boot has finished. (It has been flaky/rebooting for quite a while, even with the previous drive, which is why I thought I was having hardware probs other than the drive..) I put the orig drive back in, and it *seems* to be working.. (EXCEPT even after multiple connects, it *thinks* program info is going to run out. It successfully has loaded, and I can see programs in the LIVE guide only.. but any attempt to 'find programs' tells me it has run out of guide data.)

Anyway, it was a 2 TB Hitachi drive (I know it didn't actually use all the space). Anyway, at the moment, my questions are about saving the recordings. I suspect any new drive I get (Best Buy has a 2 TB Barracuda for $75, and I'm going to Fry's anyway too), if I just copy everything over with jmfs, it will reboot in exactly the same way.

Is there some way I can copy over the OS partitions from my known-good (or good enough!) orig Tivo HD drive and the programming partitions from the old drive.. to get the programming back.. or heck, even get it stable enough to boot and then I can start copying stuff off via tivotogo.

Thanks.. I'm going to get a drive now.
Grab that Seagate, let me know if it has 512 Byte sectors or the new "advanced format" 4K sectors that mean you have to do some voodoo to use it with XP, and then use dd_rescue on the MFS Live cd to copy the DeathStar to the Seagate.

If you have to, you can use the -b option to set the "how much at a time" to only 512 bytes, and the -B option to set the fallback "how much" to only 1 sector, and improve the odds of getting a good copy, although it will take forever, maybe longer.

Before you start, make sure the number of LBAs on the Seagate is at least as big as the number on the Hitachi.

And seriously, I need to know the actual model number of the drive, not the model number on the box, of that Best Buy Seagate, and whether there's anything on the drive label or in the included stuff that mentions advanced format or doing something special if using XP instead of Vista or Windows 7, and I need to know before BB opens here tomorrow. Thanks!

After you do that, you can use dd_rescue to copy Partition 2 to Partition 2, 3 to 3, 4 to 4, 5 to 5, 6 to 6, and 9 to 9. It might work. I did it successfully on a Series 2 about 3 or 4 days ago.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:12 PM   #8218
mattack

Quote:
Grab that Seagate, let me know if it has 512 Byte sectors or the new "advanced format" 4K sectors that mean you have to do some voodoo to use it with XP, and then use dd_rescue on the MFS Live cd to copy the DeathStar to the Seagate.

If you have to, you can use the -b option to set the "how much at a time" to only 512 bytes, and the -B option to set the fallback "how much" to only 1 sector, and improve the odds of getting a good copy, although it will take forever, maybe longer.
After you do that, you can use dd_rescue to copy Partition 2 to Partition 2, 3 to 3, 4 to 4, 5 to 5, 6 to 6, and 9 to 9. It might work. I did it successfully on a Series 2 about 3 or 4 days ago.
Best Buy was out of the drive (same day the ad came out!). Fry's didn't seem to have that one at all (I orig went to Fry's, was going to price match if I found it there first).

I think I'm going to 'suffer' with the orig size drive for a few days at least. I remember reading that drive prices have gone up -- wow, they have. (I forget if it's the tsunami or floods or what.)

But anyway -- would using dd_rescue be better than doing the 'normal' upgrade with jmfs? I I think that worked the last time. The current "bad" drive is only from April! What I think I ended up doing was copying a semi-bad filesystem to another drive, that kept getting worse until it finally rebooted continuously.

So I'm not sure if using dd_rescue will get it into any better of a state. That's why I thought MAYBE copying just the shows, but the OS off of a different drive, would be more likely to save my shows. (BTW, I did look at "the other forum" but haven't quite answered my question from the info there yet, whether it's possible to rescue my shows individually to a drive that will go into the same TiVo... that would be a backup solution to *this* one.)
Old 10-31-2011, 10:40 PM   #8219
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Best Buy was out of the drive (same day the ad came out!). Fry's didn't seem to have that one at all (I orig went to Fry's, was going to price match if I found it there first).

I think I'm going to 'suffer' with the orig size drive for a few days at least. I remember reading that drive prices have gone up -- wow, they have. (I forget if it's the tsunami or floods or what.)

But anyway -- would using dd_rescue be better than doing the 'normal' upgrade with jmfs? I I think that worked the last time. The current "bad" drive is only from April! What I think I ended up doing was copying a semi-bad filesystem to another drive, that kept getting worse until it finally rebooted continuously.

So I'm not sure if using dd_rescue will get it into any better of a state. That's why I thought MAYBE copying just the shows, but the OS off of a different drive, would be more likely to save my shows. (BTW, I did look at "the other forum" but haven't quite answered my question from the info there yet, whether it's possible to rescue my shows individually to a drive that will go into the same TiVo... that would be a backup solution to *this* one.)
Well, you can have the recordings on the Hitachi (maybe) or you can have whatever you record on the re-installed original drive, but unless you can use TiVo Desktop to transfer stuff off of the re-installed original (i.e., no anti-copy bit set), I don't know of a way to get both on the same drive.

I would suggest if you can get a 2TB with at least as many LBA as the Hitachi, dd_rescue over to it (shouldn't take more than 24 to 48 hours if you set -b and -B low like I mentioned), and then, as I indicated, take the good original drive and dd (with dd_rescue) partitions 2,3,4,5, 6, 7, and 9 from the original drive to the new 2TB drive. That should give you a working drive with the recordings from the Hitachi on it.

You should use pdisk to make sure that "the same partitions are the same partitions" on the original drive and the Hitachi so that you overwrite the right partition with the right partition.

One other thing, I think the new 2TB copy of the old 2TB drive will still have its bootpage even after copying over the non-MFS partitions from the original drive, so use WinMFS to flip the boot partitions twice to get it re-written without being flipped.

What you do is use mfsinfo in WinMFS to find out if you're set to boot from 3 and 4 or from 6 and 7.

fixboot option 1 sets it for 3 and 4, no matter where it was, and option 2 sets it for 6 and 7.

Come to think of it, do WinMFS mfsinfo on the Hitachi to see which partiton set it's set to boot from and use the correct fixboot option to flip it once and then try it again in the TiVo.

You can try getting that Seagate at the same price from BestBuy.com

Old 10-31-2011, 11:08 PM   #8220
mattack

But you didn't quite answer my question -- why is dd_rescue different than doing a "normal" drive "upgrade"? (really side-grade, since the drive will be approx the same size)

Basically, why would using dd_rescue avoid the crash on boot, if a "regular" upgrade wouldn't? That's all I'm trying to confirm. I'll probably try both, if the first faster one fails.

and would using the kickstart 57 fix anything?