TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #8161
ccrider2

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
...............If you can't return the drive for a full refund, go ahead and dd your TiVo drive to it and try it in the TiVo to see if it works or not so that you'll know.
Look like my only option, but if TiVo doesn't support port speed autonegotiation....then it might be a waste of time. I contacted Seagate Tech Support via Facebook and found this info:
-----------------
Can a ST31000524AS be jumpered to run at 3Gb/s instead of 6Gb/s? Can't find any info about the jumper block in the manual. Thanks Much!

Seagate Support No, there is not a jumper setting to change the max transfer speed to 3Gb/s. This drive will auto-negotiate with the SATA controller to determine the max speed that both devices can communicate at however.

------------------
ccrider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #8162
vectorcatch

There is no reason the TiVo shouldn't support auto negotiation of the link. During the transition from Sata I to Sata II many VIA chipsets did not support auto negotiation. This is why hard drive manufacturers added the jumper. All current day chipsets and even most non-VIA chipsets of the time supported auto negotiation. The drive should just auto negotiate to the greatest common denominator for speed (works just like Ethernet).

I would just try it, but I suspect you will be fine.
vectorcatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:23 AM   #8163
ccrider2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorcatch View Post
There is no reason the TiVo shouldn't support auto negotiation of the link. During the transition from Sata I to Sata II many VIA chipsets did not support auto negotiation. This is why hard drive manufacturers added the jumper. All current day chipsets and even most non-VIA chipsets of the time supported auto negotiation. The drive should just auto negotiate to the greatest common denominator for speed (works just like Ethernet).

I would just try it, but I suspect you will be fine.

Thanks for your vote of confidence. When I get the time to try this I'll post my results....As it looks, barring a failure of my current drive, might not be till the reruns start next Spring.
ccrider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #8164
Teggy

Apologies if this was answered somewhere, but I couldn't find anything definitive. Given that the WD DVR expanders are out of stock nearly everywhere (even on the WE site), has there been any indication that a 2TB expander will be coming out or even if the product is being discontinued?
Teggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:21 PM   #8165
mitchr

Did you have any softboot problems with the green drives and need to modify Intellipark (I think its called that).
I also see W10EURS on Newegg.
Do I understand that the drive should be no greater than 3Gb/s ?
mitchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #8166
Soapm

I thought I would report I was able to copy and expand my factory TivoHD drive to 2TB using only Winmfs. I think the trick was shutting down and removing the factory drive after copy. I then booted back up and expanded the 2TB in winmfs. I got an error saying I was creating a partition larger than 1TB and I picked yes and presto. I had a 2TB TivoHD drive. Supersized...

EDIT... Read to post 8201

Last edited by Soapm : 11-07-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #8167
RickL66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
I thought I would report I was able to copy and expand my factory TivoHD drive to 2TB using only Winmfs. I think the trick was shutting down and removing the factory drive after copy. I then booted back up and expanded the 2TB in winmfs. I got an error saying I was creating a partition larger than 1TB and I picked yes and presto. I had a 2TB TivoHD drive. Supersized...
Is that with Winmfs 9.3? I found the download on another forum and it was last updated in 2008. Anything newer?
RickL66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #8168
brentil

The new Premiere Elite uses the WD WD20EURS drive.
  1. AV-GP drive
  2. SATA III
  3. 64 MB buffer
  4. 2 TB
  5. 24 db @ idle
  6. 25 db @ seek
  7. SilkStream™ technology to capture data from up to 12 simultaneous HD video streams
  8. 5400 RPM
  9. Advanced Format*

*Of note as the partitions are built by TiVo on the drive by them they have the ability to align them to the 4K which we as users replacing drives can not do. Aligning the partition tables remove the majority of the performance penalties that an unaligned drive suffers. If you're putting it in a S3 as discussed before you shouldn't have issues and until it's been tested who knows if a S4 non-Elite would have issues or not once streaming is enabled.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by brentil : 10-11-2011 at 02:17 PM.
brentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #8169
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
The new Premiere Elite uses the WD WD20EURS drive.
  1. AV-GP drive
  2. SATA III
  3. 64 MB buffer
  4. 2 TB
  5. 24 db @ idle
  6. 25 db @ seek
  7. SilkStream™ technology to capture data from up to 12 simultaneous HD video streams
  8. 5400 RPM
  9. Active Format*

*Of note as the partitions are built by TiVo on the drive by them they have the ability to align them to the 4K which we as users replacing drives can not do. Aligning the partition tables remove the majority of the performance penalties that an unaligned drive suffers. If you're putting it in a S3 as discussed before you shouldn't have issues and until it's been tested who knows if a S4 non-Elite would have issues or not once streaming is enabled.
And by active format, do you mean "advanced format"?

Or has WD come up with another way to confuse the issue?

It's interesting how the industry is not making a big deal out of the switch to 4K sectors, (NOW WITH ADVANCED FORMAT!!!) but instead seeming to do their best to bury it in the fine print whether a drive is 512 or 4K. I'm always having to load the pictures on New Egg and hit the magnify tool to get a look at the drive label itself.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #8170
brentil

Typo on my part, Advanced format is what it should read, updating now, thanks!

Old 10-12-2011, 01:15 AM   #8171
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickL66 View Post
Is that with Winmfs 9.3? I found the download on another forum and it was last updated in 2008. Anything newer?
winmfs_beta9_3f.zip
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:37 AM   #8172
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickL66 View Post
This

http://mfslive.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=976

is as straight from the horse's mouth as you're going to get.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #8173
bishoptf

Looking at this drive for a s3 - TCD652160, looking at this drive, since I can source from my local micro center, any other suggestions...besides this one?

ST320005N4A1AS-RK

only looking at the 1TB range...
bishoptf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #8174
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishoptf View Post
Looking at this drive for a s3 - TCD652160, looking at this drive, since I can source from my local micro center, any other suggestions...besides this one?

ST320005N4A1AS-RK

only looking at the 1TB range...
Are you looking for a 1TB drive or a 2TB drive?

Because that's a 2TB drive.

I haven't been able to find out what the model number of the actual drive inside that box is. The RK stands for "retail kit".

Old 10-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #8175
TheLongshot

Here we go again.

Before, I installed a 1TB EARS drive in my Tivo, it worked for a few months, then started rebooting on me randomly. So, I sent it off for a warranty replacement.

Well, the same thing is happening again with the replacement. After working fine for a few months, I came home to a gray screen. Rebooted and watched some stuff on my Tivo, then it rebooted while I was watching it.

So, now what?

Last edited by TheLongshot : 10-12-2011 at 08:16 PM.
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #8176
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
Here we go again.

Before, I installed a 1TB EARS drive in my Tivo, it worked for a few months, then started rebooting on me randomly. So, I sent it off for a warranty replacement.

Well, the same thing is happening again with the replacement. After working fine for a few months, I came home to a gray screen. Rebooted and watched some stuff on my Tivo, then it rebooted while I was watching it.

So, now what?
What model TiVo?

If it rebooted while you were watching, I'd be suspicious of the power supply.

Inspect it carefully for "capacitor disease".

Old 10-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #8177
TheLongshot

Quote:
What model TiVo?
TivoHD

Quote:
If it rebooted while you were watching, I'd be suspicious of the power supply.

Inspect it carefully for "capacitor disease".
Problem is, it worked just fine when I put the original drive back in before. In any case, it was recently (as in just over a year ago) replaced by Tivo.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #8178
unitron

Quote:
TivoHD

Problem is, it worked just fine when I put the original drive back in before. In any case, it was recently (as in just over a year ago) replaced by Tivo.
The original drive was replaced by TiVo, the power supply was replaced by TiVo, or the TiVo was replaced by TiVo?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #8179
TheLongshot

Quote:
The original drive was replaced by TiVo, the power supply was replaced by TiVo, or the TiVo was replaced by TiVo?
The whole Tivo. I had issues with my previous Tivo. Replaced the hard drive and the power supply. Neither solved the problem so I had to call Tivo and buy a refurb as a replacement.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #8180
unitron

Quote:
The whole Tivo. I had issues with my previous Tivo. Replaced the hard drive and the power supply. Neither solved the problem so I had to call Tivo and buy a refurb as a replacement.
Did you send the Western Digital drive off for warranty replacement, or the TiVo, or both?

Because your first post made it sound like it was the WD drive that you replaced and that you were now having trouble with the replacement WD drive.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #8181
TheLongshot

Quote:
Did you send the Western Digital drive off for warrany replacement or the TiVo or both?

Because your first post made it sound like it was the WD drive that you replaced and were now having trouble with the replacement.
Ok, I'll back up.

Just over a year ago I sent in my Tivo for a replacement, after everything I tried to do to revive the Tivo failed.

This is that thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=454566

I upgraded the hard drive with the 1TB EARS in January. It worked fine for a while then started rebooting in April. Eventually I cleared it off and sent the hard drive in for a warranty replacement. Now, the replacement hard drive, which I installed in July is displaying the same behavior.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #8182
unitron

Quote:
Ok, I'll back up.

Just over a year ago I sent in my Tivo for a replacement, after everything I tried to do to revive the Tivo failed.

This is that thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=454566

I upgraded the hard drive with the 1TB EARS in January. It worked fine for a while then started rebooting in April. Eventually I cleared it off and sent the hard drive in for a warranty replacement. Now, the replacement hard drive, which I installed in July is displaying the same behavior.
What evidence did you have in April that the refurbed TiVo was fine and the WD drive was faulty?

Did you pull it and run the WD diagnostic software on it?

Have you done so on the drive you have now?

Does the current refurb'ed TiVo work without issue on the original hard drive with which it came?

Old 10-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #8183
TheLongshot

Quote:
What evidence did you have in April that the refurbed TiVo was fine and the WD drive was faulty?

Did you pull it and run the WD diagnostic software on it?
I did, and it seemed to pass. I put it back in, and it lasted three weeks before it started having problems again.

Quote:
Have you done so on the drive you have now?
Not yet.

Quote:
Does the current refurb'ed TiVo work without issue on the original hard drive with which it came?
I've never had an issue with the original hard drive in it.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:58 AM   #8184
unitron

Quote:
I did, and it seemed to pass. I put it back in, and it lasted three weeks before it started having problems again.

Not yet.

I've never had an issue with the original hard drive in it.
Yes, but now that you have a problem with something, have you taken out the WD and put the original drive back in to see if it's drive trouble or TiVo trouble?

Old 10-13-2011, 07:10 AM   #8185
TheLongshot

Quote:
Yes, but now that you have a problem with something, have you taken out the WD and put the original drive back in to see if it's drive trouble or TiVo trouble?
Yes, I put the original drive back in and last I checked it was still working. As I showed above, the original drive was in the Tivo from April to July with no issues.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #8186
Mikeyis4dcats

Any current suggestions for a Tivo HD replacement drive (1TB)?

Looks like the drives on the upgrade recommendation list are all out of production...
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #8187
brentil

I installed the WD WD10EVDS drive in mine. It's a DVR specific drive. I had it running next to the stock drive and it made less noise than the stock one.

Western Digital 1 TB AV-GP SATA 3 Gb/s Intellipower 32 MB

Old 10-14-2011, 11:27 PM   #8188
unitron

Quote:
Yes, I put the original drive back in and last I checked it was still working. As I showed above, the original drive was in the Tivo from April to July with no issues.
Okay, I'm going to go with either you've gotten a second WD drive that also failed prematurely, or the WD draws a little more current than the stock drive and the power supply is just marginal enough that it can't supply that extra bit of current, which brings down the power going to the motherboard just enough to crash it.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #8189
TheLongshot

Quote:
Okay, I'm going to go with either you've gotten a second WD drive that also failed prematurely, or the WD draws a little more current than the stock drive and the power supply is just marginal enough that it can't supply that extra bit of current, which brings down the power going to the motherboard just enough to crash it.
The latter theory sounds more logical, since I fail to see how two drives could fail the same exact way.

Question is, what do I do about it? I hate to spend more money into the bottomless pit that is this Tivo and be unsure if it will actually solve the problem.

Edit: Maybe I shouldn't have spoken too soon. Turned it on today and it had a stuck reboot.

I swear, Tivo makes the most fragile POS electronics I've ever seen...

Last edited by TheLongshot : 10-15-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #8190
unitron

Quote:
The latter theory sounds more logical, since I fail to see how two drives could fail the same exact way.

Question is, what do I do about it? I hate to spend more money into the bottomless pit that is this Tivo and be unsure if it will actually solve the problem.
I have seen two of the same model drive fail in the same way, which I suspect means a flaw in the design and production of that particular model.

But I'd still be suspicious of the power supply.

You can try powering the hard drive from a computer's power supply (get it spun up before plugging the TiVo power cord into the wall socket), and see if that makes a difference.