TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #151
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwilso View Post
I switched back to the SDUI. The time is still being displayed 1 hour late and the System Information screen still says Daylight Saving Time.

After switching back to SDUI I forced a connection (no difference), and then rebooted (no difference), and then repeated Guided Setup. No changes.

The time on the channel banner, the S-P-S-9-S time, and the System Info screen all have the time 1 hour late.

Does anyone know how I can correct this? Should I try a clear and delete everything?
It's doubtful you can fix it yourself. It seems to be a problem with the timezone file on the TiVo itself.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #152
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
A lot of the issues being mentioned I remember popping up in the past. Mostly first day/activation lag. Or perhaps Tivo needs to flip a switch. Hopefully in the next day or so they resolve themselves.

Finally got to play with one (not mine, sadly. lol) Anybody else notice how fast boot times and scrolling through the EPG are? Wonder if that is the new hardware or software...
Premiere Elite Start-Up Time = ~3:11
Premiere Start-Up Time = ~ 7:17

It appears there is significantly greater horsepower in the Elite's Broadcom chip. I suppose some of the increased boot up time could be related to software differences but I doubt TiVo is concerned about start-up time.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #153
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat

Can't blame a gal for trying, especially since they were letting it slide for the older Premieres.
Yep I would have tried too.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #154
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I found on the Elite if you hit FF 4 times instead of reverting back to play like it does on the Premiere you get a bong. Strange change to make. It isn't a big deal to me but surprised me when it happened.
That's actually a welcome change and something I've been asking for for a while. It's easy to overpress 3x FF and when you do it's 3 more presses. I always use play to resume normal speed anyway so 4th FF resuming play never made much sense to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #155
aaronwt
HD Addict

Is that time issue only a problem for areas that don't use Daylight savings time?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #156
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post

It appears there is significantly greater horsepower in the Elite's Broadcom chip. I suppose some of the increased boot up time could be related to software differences but I doubt TiVo is concerned about start-up time.
Could it also be related to the software version?
Old 10-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #157
djwilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
It's doubtful you can fix it yourself. It seems to be a problem with the timezone file on the TiVo itself.
Obviously, I can't. I went ahead and did the Clear and Delete Everything.

And even though I had been in the SDUI prior to starting the Clear, when it was finally done through Guided Setup again, it came back up in the HDUI.

And the time is still wrong after switching back to the SDUI again.

Will things record at the proper time, or will everything be an hour off? Is this something TiVo can fix on their side for individual DVRs? Or am I going to have to return the box and get my PLS refunded? That would be a huge pain.

I'll find out about the recordings tomorrow after I pick up the M-card and TA. Will report back.

EDIT: I see the times in the guide are an hour later too, so recordings will be ok. However, the WAF took a dive due to this.

Last edited by djwilso : 10-09-2011 at 10:39 PM.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #158
djwilso

I came up with another issue.

When the Elite is connected to my Sony Bravia KDL-46S2010, no video is output by HDMI.

Strangely, the TiVo still seems to be able to determine that 1080i is the maximum resolution supported, but that may just be some sort of default.

When I go through the resolutions test in the Video setup, still nothing. It's like it's not connected. Connecting/disconnecting the cable makes no difference. Tried about 5 cables too. Nope. But an Xbox-360 and BD player work connected to the same HDMI port on the TV.

It outputs through the component outputs just fine.

And, on my other Sony TV (which is even older than this one) and my Asus monitor, HDMI works fine.

Very strange.

Last edited by djwilso : 10-09-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:50 PM   #159
puffdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post

Presumably your premiere is running 14.8, while your elite is 14.9.
If you were to peek at the kernels for each you would find this:
Quote:
14.8: Linux version 2.6.18-5.1 (build@buildmaster64) (gcc version 3.3.4) #1 Wed Mar 16 02:53:03 PDT 2011
14.9: Linux version 2.6.18-5.1 (build@buildmaster93) (gcc version 4.2.0) #1 SMP Wed Sep 21 18:32:42 PDT 2011

puffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #160
lgerbarg

I have no been having any luck with my Elite. I don't have an M-card yet (it is replacing an S3 that had two S-cards in it), but I figured I would at least be able to use it for Netflix and MRV, but so far no luck. Every time I try to go to VoD it says the network is unavailable. I should note that it is doing that despite the fact that it can download guide data, successfully have its season passes managed from TiVo.com, responds to the iPad app, and passes the network connectivity test in the networking settings menus. It also sees my other TiVos on the network, but when I navigate into them in My Shows it claims those TiVos do not have any recordings on them.

I've tried rebooting, unplugging it, forcing connections to TiVo, switching between HD and SD menus, etc. It has downloaded the software update and is signed up for PLS. Any ideas?
Old 10-10-2011, 12:11 AM   #161
djwilso

From what I read earlier in the thread, it seems that TiVo has to do something on their side to make the Video on Demand and Pandora stuff work.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that the My Account page on tivo.com is still saying "We're still processing your activation. Check back in 24 hours to see change plan options."

I was able to get transfers from my S3 to the Elite working though, so not sure what the problem might be there.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #162
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Yeah, looks like the TiVo Premiere from Suddenlink has offered CallerID. I can't imagine this feature will be available to retail customers.

http://www.tivo.com/products/source/...ink/index.html
Going by the manual the Suddenlink Caller ID only works with Suddenlink phone service: http://static.suddenlink.synacor.com...user_guide.pdf

As for the comments from users unable to use video services, etc., that's common. It can take a new unit a day or so to get fully in sync and enable the secondary services. If it isn't working within a couple of days, then you worry.

|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:50 AM   #163
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
It's definitely a different issue from the HD menus display time problem. So the question for all of you Elite owners is: does that problem still exist?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:49 AM   #164
tlwizard

Would someone with the Elite as well as FiOS be willing to check the FiOS VOD channels and see if the Elite is compatible or not? If they do work, I'd probably go out tomorrow and try and pick some up. Thanks.
tlwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:20 AM   #165
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlwizard View Post
Would someone with the Elite as well as FiOS be willing to check the FiOS VOD channels and see if the Elite is compatible or not?
Fios VOD doesn't really operate with "channels". They do have a bogus channel mapping of 900 to VOD (on the Verizon-supplied boxes), but that just means that if you tune to 900, you get sent to the same menu as you would if you pressed the VOD button.

For Fios VOD to operate on a TiVo, it would probably have to be done as an HME app. (Standard HME stuff to create the menus, and HME video streaming for the video, just like Netflix/YouTube/et al.)

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:30 AM   #166
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlwizard View Post
Would someone with the Elite as well as FiOS be willing to check the FiOS VOD channels and see if the Elite is compatible or not? If they do work, I'd probably go out tomorrow and try and pick some up. Thanks.
It isn't compatible. The retail Premiere Elite doesn't work with *any* OnDemand content at this point. TiVo has a deal with Comcast to enable access to the Xfinity OnDemand content but that doesn't start rolling out until late this year. They have a similar deal with Cox, announced last year, but both sides have been silent on that deal for a long time now - it could be dead.

No deal with Verizon at this time. And even the cable MSOs who are distributing TiVos with VOD enabled - RCN, Suddenlink, and Grande - don't support it on retail units.

|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:55 AM   #167
jfh3

Updated original post. More info to come. I ordered a TiVo Phone line adapter to see if caller ID function will work on any Elite.

(note to anyone planning to use the recent 10/12% off coupons - today 10/10 is the last day they are valid)
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:12 AM   #168
jfh3

Added CableCARD note in original post. At this time, just a note for those re-using an existing one in an Elite.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:06 AM   #169
aaronwt
HD Addict

What is the time being off problem? I'm on the East Coast and so far nothing has been wrong with my time.

On the BestBuy coupons. The ones I had expire at the end of October. A good deal for only spending a couple of bucks on eBay. I just wish that BestBuy sold the BT remote for around $10 less, then I would use the coupon for it. But amazon is much cheaper.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:11 AM   #170
aaronwt
HD Addict

Anybody post their Elite temps? Mine was at 35/36 degrees last night when recording 4 concurrent programs and this morning was still the same temp with no recordings going on. That seems to be inline with the Premiere I have with a 2TB drive in it. My stock Premieres run at 34C.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:23 AM   #171
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone View Post
It isn't compatible. The retail Premiere Elite doesn't work with *any* OnDemand content at this point. TiVo has a deal with Comcast to enable access to the Xfinity OnDemand content but that doesn't start rolling out until late this year. They have a similar deal with Cox, announced last year, but both sides have been silent on that deal for a long time now - it could be dead.

No deal with Verizon at this time. And even the cable MSOs who are distributing TiVos with VOD enabled - RCN, Suddenlink, and Grande - don't support it on retail units.
As for Cox VOD, the Cox PR rep monitoring DSLR forums posted on July 28, 2011 that the Cox VOD on the retail Premiere was still an active project. I posted the question again last night, hoping for at least a confirmation that it is still in the works.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26140348-

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #172
Aero 1

so how many live buffers does this thing have? 4?

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:49 AM   #173
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1
so how many live buffers does this thing have? 4?
Yes. Everytime you hit the Live TV button it goes to the next tuner/buffer.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #174
BankZ

I am thinking about getting one of these this week. Stupid question, what (and how many) CableCards should I get? I want to have them ready so I don't have to wait!
BankZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #175
HazelW

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
You need to give Kmttg a try then. It also allows you to backup, modify, and copy season passes locally. It also won't change the order like TiVo.com sometimes does when copying.
I can't figure out how to do this. Can you point me the way?
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #176
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankZ View Post
I am thinking about getting one of these this week. Stupid question, what (and how many) CableCards should I get? I want to have them ready so I don't have to wait!
A single m-card, but that's all the cable company will provide at this time, they no longer distribute s-cards
Old 10-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #177
ghuido

Any update on the broadcom chip?
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #178
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuido View Post
Any update on the broadcom chip?
I believe it will take a "real" tear-down to figure out which Broadcom chip is in use. I'm hoping one of the tech bloggers can garner the precise information through their inside contacts at TiVo.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #179
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post
I can't figure out how to do this. Can you point me the way?
latest version
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #180
compnurd

I am wondering how much that extra RAM is going to be used for performance and not just for the extra tuners. I dont think we can compare performance to the Premiere/XL until they are on the same software

It looks like over at this site they are confirming the second CPU is enabled
http://www.gizmolovers.com/2011/10/1...arts-analysis/

Last edited by compnurd : 10-10-2011 at 09:59 AM.
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote