Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #8131
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
That's the thing, though. It's VERY easy to do the upgrade work yourself. Check out the upgrade threads, and if you can plop in a 2TB drive (assuming you have a Premiere or HDTiVO), you'll have a backup drive on the shelf (your original tivo drive) and 150 hours of HD goodness.
dude.. this IS the primary drive upgrade thread
Old 09-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #8132
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
dude.. this IS the primary drive upgrade thread
This is a little more the "which drive to use in which machine" thread. There are some others, not to mention the site which may not be mentioned here, where what software and techniques to use are discussed.

When you say primary, do you mean primary drive, or primary thread? 'Cause we've actually been discussing a secondary drive.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:10 AM   #8133
rickydee

S3 downgrade/return to original drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darr247 View Post
If you are doing the '$150 swap', I would put a dead SATA drive in it... I think they don't even look at anything but the model and service number on the back... giving the new one the same service level and shipping it to you; then sending your old one to the repair shop without ever opening it.
Well actually they agreed to give me a Tivo HD in exchange for my S3 which I need to return. I'm tempted to put the original Tivo HD 160 GB drive in my S3 and ship it back but was willing to restore it the way it was originally. Any advice on reversing it from the upgraded drive to the originally 250GB S3 drive?
rickydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:13 AM   #8134
rickydee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Why do you have to return it to TiVo?
It started to have a number of uncorrected RS errors and thought was the S3 was failing.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:15 AM   #8135
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydee View Post
Well actually they agreed to give me a Tivo HD in exchange for my S3 which I need to return...
Did they offer a Chevy in place of a Cadillac as well?

Old 09-18-2011, 08:09 AM   #8136
jmstorm

Thanks. But I am a complete technoboob, and I wouldn't know what to do. I appreciate your advice, though.
jmstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #8137
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmstorm View Post
Thanks. But I am a complete technoboob, and I wouldn't know what to do. I appreciate your advice, though.
This thread and forum members here can be very helpful if you want to give it a shot.

I've built drives for others in the past for my costs plus shipping plus a little bit. PM me with specifics of your TiVo if you may be interested (I probably already have the same unit or a backup of it from which to build yours). My recommendation would be to upgrade the internal drive to 2TB and not use any external drive at all. A 2TB drive is about $65, is all.

Ah...your post count is low, you won't be able to PM until you hit five or something like that. Put the details of your unit here, anyway.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #8138
dlfl
Cranky old novice

In a pyTivo forum post I ran across this link to (very detailed) drive upgrade instructions for Series 3 and Premieres:
http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/tivo_upgrade/
Interesting that it's a uk website yet AFAIK none of these models have ever been sold or usable there. (?).

Doing a search of this thread on "rosswalker" returns no hits. Does anyone know about this site and the validity of the instructions?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #8139
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
In a pyTivo forum post I ran across this link to (very detailed) drive upgrade instructions for Series 3 and Premieres:
http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/tivo_upgrade/
Interesting that it's a uk website yet AFAIK none of these models have ever been sold or usable there. (?).

Doing a search of this thread on "rosswalker" returns no hits. Does anyone know about this site and the validity of the instructions?
His site mentions that he's currently in the US working at San Diego Supercomputer Center but from the UK, that would explain those two items.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:28 PM   #8140
rickydee

GM - Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Why do you have to return it to TiVo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Did they offer a Chevy in place of a Cadillac as well?
Actually with Fios charging $4 per cable card the HD was the better choice. Not really much difference with the S3 given I didn't really used the OLED display - and I only need one cable card with the HD vs the S3 needing 2 cable cards. Am I missing anything else given I was upgrading to 2TB either way?
Old 09-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #8141
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Actually with Fios charging $4 per cable card the HD was the better choice. Not really much difference with the S3 given I didn't really used the OLED display - and I only need one cable card with the HD vs the S3 needing 2 cable cards. Am I missing anything else given I was upgrading to 2TB either way?
There are people who prefer the S3 for slight claimed performance advantages (and for the OLED display). However I believe there has been a higher rate of Power Supply failures in S3's, perhaps due to their greater average age and/or because "capacitor disease" peaked in the years they were manufactured.

IIRC there is no DIY (i.e., JMFS) method to upgrade an S3 to 2TB, whereas there is one for the THD. However, I believe DVR_DUDE does sell plug-in 2TB drives for the S3.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #8142
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
I view my S3 as a Cadillac and my TivoHD was relegated to Dad when I bought a Premiere, I never warmed to it, and it always felt like the cheap offspring to me. The extra $4 for the 2nd CableCARD is well worth it for the superior machine.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:24 AM   #8143
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I view my S3 as a Cadillac and my TivoHD was relegated to Dad when I bought a Premiere, I never warmed to it, and it always felt like the cheap offspring to me. The extra $4 for the 2nd CableCARD is well worth it for the superior machine.
There's almost always a $50 HD on a Craigslist somewhere, but almost never a "thermometer front" at any price. I guess it's one of those "from my cold, dead hands" things.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:37 AM   #8144
swren0

Has anyone ever taken the hard drive out of a Western Digital My AV Book Expander and used it to upgrade a TiVo HD? I have had numerous problems with the Expander attached to my TiVo HD. TiVo tech support told me to replace the SATA cable which came with the Expander. I have replaced it with 4 or 5 different cables and every one eventually failed. I finally decided to un-marry the Expander from the TiVo and upgrade the internal hard drive to 1TB. Since I don't plan to use the Expander any longer I tore it apart and removed the hard drive and it turned out to be a WD10EVVS manufactured 13 Nov 2010. This model manufactured after September 18th (it didn't say what year) was removed from the compatible drives list due to incompatibilities. It also has issues due to Intellipark. I am hoping that, since my drive was set up by Western Digital expressly to be used with a TiVo that intellipark will already be disabled and it won't have the compatibility problems which caused the drive to be removed from the compatible drives list.
swren0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #8145
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by swren0 View Post
Has anyone ever taken the hard drive out of a Western Digital My AV Book Expander and used it to upgrade a TiVo HD? I have had numerous problems with the Expander attached to my TiVo HD. TiVo tech support told me to replace the SATA cable which came with the Expander. I have replaced it with 4 or 5 different cables and every one eventually failed. I finally decided to un-marry the Expander from the TiVo and upgrade the internal hard drive to 1TB. Since I don't plan to use the Expander any longer I tore it apart and removed the hard drive and it turned out to be a WD10EVVS manufactured 13 Nov 2010. This model manufactured after September 18th (it didn't say what year) was removed from the compatible drives list due to incompatibilities. It also has issues due to Intellipark. I am hoping that, since my drive was set up by Western Digital expressly to be used with a TiVo that intellipark will already be disabled and it won't have the compatibility problems which caused the drive to be removed from the compatible drives list.
First of all, whose compatibility list?

Was the combination of the drive and the enclosure removed from this list, or just the drive itself?

Is that particular enclosure/drive combination on TiVo's approved list?

Old 09-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #8146
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Cracking my DVR Expander case

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #8147
Canoehead
1 of The Curs'd 200

Widdle 3 On Mac Pro

I was searching around on using my old Mac Pro prepare a new WD EURS drive for a Tivo S3 rescue - looks like it has been done successfully before:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/tips/Disa...eadParking.htm
Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #8148
veritas01

I have used Instant Cake in the past. It is moderately easy to use if you have a spare computer hanging around to use for the burn. However, they doubled their price recently. Nothing new about the software. Nothing better, faster, or snazzier. Just more expensive. Ticked me off.

My recommendation is ...they are several people selling drive upgrades on EBAY. I just bought a 2 TB for my Model3. Opened the case. Took out the old one. Put in the new one. Powered up...voila. Very easy and when you add the cost of a new drive, finding the right quiet drive, and buying the Instant Cake and going through the hassle of loading it to the new drive....buying it already set up is the way to go.

Getting another 2tb in a few weeks so all 3 of my series 3 will be 2 tb. HD really uses up a lot of space. My wife is a dancing with the stars fan...that series alone with take up a bunch of space.
veritas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #8149
puinsai

Is there really no DIY for putting a 2TB drive in a Series 3 TCD648250B?

Hi all,

This forum is amazing but I am confused and I need some guidance.

I am a newbie and after searching for a few days I was surprised that I couldn't find a definitive DIY solution for upgrading my Series 3 TCD648250B to a 2TB where I could use the full capacity.

Don't get me wrong, there are some amazing guides and tips but no one specifically addresses the process with the Series 3 TCD648250B. Most people just comment that "there is no definitive DIY solution". That can't be because people are doing it and there seems to be way too many people who have successfully completed the process for it to be a commercial solution only. I really like this Tivo and I dig the OLED on the front. It is very useful and I was sad they did away with it.

Can anyone help me or point me in a direction to how this is done properly besides just buying a pre-formatted drive from DVR Dude or Weaknees?

I followed all the directions I could find online and I was able to put in a new 2TB drive and transfer all my shows and settings from my 1TB drive (Upgraded by Weaknees about 2 years ago) but I am only getting 157 Hours of HD which means it's not using the full capacity. I used Winmfs, supersize and Wdiddle3. My Tivo works fine but it's just not using the full capacity of the 2TB drive. I have seen the posts that I have to use an updated Kernel to get full capacity and I see where that can be downloaded but I don't see any specific directions on how to install it or when.

Any guidance is much appreciated.
puinsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #8150
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by puinsai View Post
Hi all,

This forum is amazing but I am confused and I need some guidance.

I am a newbie and after searching for a few days I was surprised that I couldn't find a definitive DIY solution for upgrading my Series 3 TCD648250B to a 2TB where I could use the full capacity.

Don't get me wrong, there are some amazing guides and tips but no one specifically addresses the process with the Series 3 TCD648250B. Most people just comment that "there is no definitive DIY solution". That can't be because people are doing it and there seems to be way too many people who have successfully completed the process for it to be a commercial solution only. I really like this Tivo and I dig the OLED on the front. It is very useful and I was sad they did away with it.

Can anyone help me or point me in a direction to how this is done properly besides just buying a pre-formatted drive from DVR Dude or Weaknees?

I followed all the directions I could find online and I was able to put in a new 2TB drive and transfer all my shows and settings from my 1TB drive (Upgraded by Weaknees about 2 years ago) but I am only getting 157 Hours of HD which means it's not using the full capacity. I used Winmfs, supersize and Wdiddle3. My Tivo works fine but it's just not using the full capacity of the 2TB drive. I have seen the posts that I have to use an updated Kernel to get full capacity and I see where that can be downloaded but I don't see any specific directions on how to install it or when.

Any guidance is much appreciated.
There is no guide here for upgrading the 648x unit to 2 TB because for years, the conventional wisdom was that it could not be done(in a stable fashion, for whatever reason). It is not known precisely how weaknees, dvrdude, etc. manage to achieve theirs.

There have been claims of posters here that they have done it simply using WinMfs, but no details, and they don't seem to stick around to give any.

There is also some special hardware modification($) that may allow for the upgrade, but that's a different story, imo.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:37 PM   #8151
mitchr

current recommended drive list

I'm looking to upgrade the internal drive on my Series 3.
I just unmarried the WD expansion drive after it failed.
Is there a list of current recommended internal drives?
The lists I have seen are a few years old.
Also, will the WinMFS procedure work with Windows7?
mitchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:35 PM   #8152
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchr View Post
I'm looking to upgrade the internal drive on my Series 3.
I just unmarried the WD expansion drive after it failed.
Is there a list of current recommended internal drives?
The lists I have seen are a few years old.
Also, will the WinMFS procedure work with Windows7?
Anyone in this position, the first thing I'd recommend is have you looked into buying a new premiere?

Whether or not you're lifetime'd now, you can buy lifetime on a brand new (refurb'd....same difference) box, and it only needs one cable card to work with both HDTV tuners. It's trivially upgradable to 2TB, about 300 hours of HD. And your existing S3 still keeps working fine as it is.....use in another room, give to a friend, or sell it.

It's old hardware. The drive is just the most likely thing to fail, not the only thing.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #8153
mitchr

Quote:
Anyone in this position, the first thing I'd recommend is have you looked into buying a new premiere?

Whether or not you're lifetime'd now, you can buy lifetime on a brand new (refurb'd....same difference) box, and it only needs one cable card to work with both HDTV tuners. It's trivially upgradable to 2TB, about 300 hours of HD. And your existing S3 still keeps working fine as it is.....use in another room, give to a friend, or sell it.

It's old hardware. The drive is just the most likely thing to fail, not the only thing.
That's good advice, but I'd still want to increase the disk space on the S3.
Can you recommend a 1TB drive to do that?
Also, if I got a Premiere, is the higher capacity one better soundwise than the cheaper one? Looks like the only other difference.
mitchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #8154
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Also, if I got a Premiere, is the higher capacity one better soundwise than the cheaper one? Looks like the only other difference.
One caveat--I heard something recently about a 4-tuner capable Premiere due out soon. I figured it would need two multi-stream cablecards, but I'm told just one. Its release may bring 2-tuner Premieres down in price as they clear their inventory, but they're really cheap so how much further down can they go? Or you may wait if you need four tuners to deconflict shows.

Any SATA drive will work, both in your S3 and in a Premiere if you get it. I'm seeing SATA III out now--pretty sure you don't want those, they don't get you anything better and may not even work. Most here, including me, are using one of the WD Green drives and report good success and low heat/power/sound. I had good success with Samsung drives back in the IDE days (S1-2)--at that point I wasn't trusting WD and they've gotten better.

Your S3 will actually do a bit more than 1TB, something like 1.25TB. And it will just not use the rest of the drive--so a 1.5TB or 2TB would also work.

At Amazon, I see:
WD10EARS (1TB) $57 shipped
WD15EARS (1.5TB) $64 shipped
WD20EARS (2TB) $80 shipped

At Newegg, I see:
WD10EARS (1TB) $57 shipped
WD15EARS (1.5TB) $65 shipped
WD20EARS (2TB) $80 shipped

Last edited by ThreeSoFar : 10-01-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #8155
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
As to your sound question (forgot that one): If it says THX, it's capable of better, yes. But I wouldn't bother. But you'd need a THX certified system and speaker setup, which frankly is likely impossible in most home environments. And IMO, not at all worth it.

The biggest advantage to me of upgrading the smaller sized one is the stock drive becomes your backup in the event of drive failure down the line. It's best if you let the stock drive sync up with your cableco's system, put all your programs on it, make sure it isn't DOA or anything by using it a few weeks, then use that to upgrade to your brand new 2TB. The stock drive just sits on the shelf as your backup.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #8156
HazelW

Quote:
One caveat--I heard something recently about a 4-tuner capable Premiere due out soon. It would use two multi-stream cablecards.
The 4 tuner will only require one M type cable card.
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #8157
ccrider2

Quote:
...............I'm seeing SATA III out now--pretty sure you don't want those, they don't get you anything better and may not even work....................
"OH Joe, say it ain't so"......

Just bought a Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS SATA 6.0Gb/s 1TB for $50, to put on the shelf as a spare for my S3. It seems to work OK in an older USB-2 dock, so I assumed it would in the S3. Guess I'll need to swap it out to see for sure.
Perhaps someone can chime in..... if they have already tried this.

Thanks For Any Ideas on this matter,
ccrider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #8158
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider2 View Post
"OH Joe, say it ain't so"......

Just bought a Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS SATA 6.0Gb/s 1TB for $50, to put on the shelf as a spare for my S3. It seems to work OK in an older USB-2 dock, so I assumed it would in the S3. Guess I'll need to swap it out to see for sure.
Perhaps someone can chime in..... if they have already tried this.

Thanks For Any Ideas on this matter,
Can you jumper it down to 3Gb?

Old 10-01-2011, 11:53 PM   #8159
ccrider2

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Can you jumper it down to 3Gb?
Can't find anything in the online manual about using jumpers. There is a 4 pin block next to the data port, but the manual mentions nothing about it. All I could find was the bit below about the chipset and autonegotiation support. Although the word 'usually' is also used, so I guess I'm not sure, or perhaps they aren't either. Like, what's the reason for the unmentioned jumper block?

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/s...100636864b.pdf

"Serial ATA drives are designed for easy installation. It is usually not necessary to set any jumpers on the drive for
proper operation; however, if you connect the drive and receive a “drive not detected” error, your SATA-equipped
motherboard or host adapter may use a chipset that does not support SATA speed autonegotiation."

Thanks,
ccrider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:21 AM   #8160
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider2 View Post
Can't find anything in the online manual about using jumpers. There is a 4 pin block next to the data port, but the manual mentions nothing about it. All I could find was the bit below about the chipset and autonegotiation support. Although the word 'usually' is also used, so I guess I'm not sure, or perhaps they aren't either. Like, what's the reason for the unmentioned jumper block?

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/s...100636864b.pdf

"Serial ATA drives are designed for easy installation. It is usually not necessary to set any jumpers on the drive for
proper operation; however, if you connect the drive and receive a “drive not detected” error, your SATA-equipped
motherboard or host adapter may use a chipset that does not support SATA speed autonegotiation."

Thanks,
When the 3Gb (SATA II, although that's not an official designation by the industry group that sets SATA standards) drives came out, many of them could be jumpered to hard limit them to SATA I (1.5Gb), and I think there are some SATA IIIs that can be jumpered down to SATA II, but if yours can, it's not documented.

If you can't return the drive for a full refund, go ahead and dd your TiVo drive to it and try it in the TiVo to see if it works or not so that you'll know.