TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > Developers Corner
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-28-2011, 10:24 PM   #361
cweb

I got Video Manager mostly working on my mac. One problem I'm still having is displaying the shows' poster image. An example of my setup is a follows: my main directory is TivoShows, it has a folder named Supernatural, it contains the files Supernatural Ep116 2010-10-26 Shadow.mpg and Supernatural.jpg. Shouldn't the image in Supernatural.jpg show up when I am looking in the Supernatural folder? Am I not understanding it correctly?
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #362
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweb View Post
I got Video Manager mostly working on my mac. One problem I'm still having is displaying the shows' poster image. An example of my setup is a follows: my main directory is TivoShows, it has a folder named Supernatural, it contains the files Supernatural Ep116 2010-10-26 Shadow.mpg and Supernatural.jpg. Shouldn't the image in Supernatural.jpg show up when I am looking in the Supernatural folder? Am I not understanding it correctly?
No - The file either has to be named "folder.jpg" in which case it will be displayed for all videos in the folder that do not have their own image file, or "Supernatural Ep116 2010-10-26 Shadow.mpg.jpg" in which case it will be shown for ONLY this video file. The jpg files can either be in the same directory as the mpg file, or they can be in a subdirectory from THAT directory named ".meta". If you are using windows, you will probably have some difficulty creating a directory named .meta from the GUI - it's a lot easier from a command line.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:03 AM   #363
cweb

That fixed it. Now I see the images. I just misunderstood what you meant by folder.jpg.
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #364
jbernardis

Announcing vidmgr version 2

Several weeks ago someone asked for a feature whereby they could classify their videos by genre, or other
metadata. I said then that although I thought it was a good idea, I didn't have the bandwidth for it and
that perhaps it would be put into version 2.0.

Well I am happy to announce version 2.0 of vidmgr.

First, though, I have to acknowledge the assistance of lrhorer. I have a reasonable setup in my home
for testing this app, but to nowhere near the stress levels that he could put it to. His assistance in
testing and debugging were more than invaluable - this couldn't have been done without him - or if it
HAD been done without him, it would have been released with some really bad bugs. Of course that's
not to say that there's not a bug or two still lurking in there...

For those of you that don't know, PyTivo video manager (vidmgr) is an HME application that allows you to
request that videos in your library be "Pushed" to your tivo instead of the normal pull. Since it's an
HME app, this request can be made from your easy chair with your tivo remote. Pushing allows videos that
are in a compatible MP4 format to be transferred as is - saving time and space - instead of the transcoding
that a pull will always cause (although a push can also be requested for a video format that requires
transcoding). vidmgr can also be used to delete videos from your library.

Version 2.0 is a complete rewrite of the application with better, more object-oriented code. Among the
improvements that will be visible to users:
1.) The video information is obtained from a cache instead of being read from the disk. The cache
can be built when the program starts up, or ahead of time - at your choice. The advantage of
building the cache ahead of time is that you can get more complex in terms of the way the
cache is built (you can still build a complex cache at thread start time if you are willing to
tolerate a delay - my ARM based NAS builds the cache for my 400 video library in about 5 seconds.)
The cache supports the ability to create "virtual" shares that are based on metadata, including any
metadata that you may have added yourself. So, for example, you can create a "virtual" share for
John Wayne movies, or you can have a virtual share that breaks the videos down by genre.

2.) You now have the ability to change options on a directory by directory (or virtual share) basis.
You want this directory sorted on episode number and that one sorted on show title - no problem.
Sorting can now be done based on ANY combinations of strings from the metadata. You can also control
the display "name" for a video file based on the directory (or virtual share).

3.) the user interface was cleaned up - there is no longer a menu choice for push/delete. Pushing is
accomplished by pressing the select button - if you have multiple tivos a dialog box will pop-up
over the display so you can choose the proper target. Delete is accomplished by pressing clear.
Again, a dialog box will pop-up asking for confirmation.

There are many other changes as well, but they are more subtle and/or are not visible to a user.

There is one limitation over the original program - This is for HD only. If the application finds that
your tivo does not support an HD resolution, it simply exits.

vidmgr is a TiVo HME application designed to operate under wmcbrine's hme for python
framework. It is NOT a stand-alone application. Please install the pyhme package (I have tested with version 0.19)
and make sure it is running before you install vidmgr.

Vidmgr is designed to operate in conjunction with the PyTivo transcoding server - If you are not
using pytivo, then there is no point in installing vidmgr. I have tested vidmgr with the mcbrine
fork of pytivo. I am not familiar with the other forks to know whether or not it will run there.

The link to GIT is in my signature.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #365
windracer
joined the 10k club

Hate to be the first post after your announcement with a problem, but I can't get 2.0 to work. As soon as I select it from my TiVo, it crashes with this:

Code:
HME Server for Python 0.19
Mon Sep 19 21:06:58 2011 PyTivo Video Manager version 2.0 starting
Cache file does not exist - no thumbnails loaded
Mon Sep 19 21:06:58 2011 Server Starts
Registering: vidmgr
192.168.1.71:53360 - - [19/Sep/2011 21:07:08] "GET /vidmgr/ HTTP/1.1" 200 -
192.168.1.71:53360 - - [19/Sep/2011 21:07:08] Starting HME: vidmgr
----------------------------------------
Exception happened during processing of request from ('192.168.1.71', 53360)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 582, in process_request_thread
    self.finish_request(request, client_address)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 323, in finish_request
    self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
  File "./start.py", line 141, in __init__
    client_address, server)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 639, in __init__
    self.handle()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/BaseHTTPServer.py", line 343, in handle
    self.handle_one_request()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/BaseHTTPServer.py", line 331, in handle_one_request
    method()
  File "./start.py", line 232, in do_GET
    self._page(True)
  File "./start.py", line 186, in _page
    appinst.mainloop()
  File "/usr/local/tivo/pyhme/hme.py", line 1134, in mainloop
    self.startup()
  File "/usr/local/tivo/pyhme/vidmgr/__init__.py", line 93, in startup
    self.opts = config.load()
  File "/usr/local/tivo/pyhme/vidmgr/Config.py", line 121, in load
    n = int(value)
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''
----------------------------------------
Looks like something related to loading the infolabelpercent value from the config file?

2.0 sounds great ... can't wait to check it out.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #366
jbernardis

What's the value you have for infolabelpercent?

I expect an integer - perhaps I should protect that with a try block, but first let's see if it's just a bad value or if it's something else.

EDIT: looks like you just left the blank entry that came in the dist file. Sorry to mislead - that was just meant as a pattern to be followed - you need to specify a value or
if there is a definite default, just comment out the line

Old 09-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #367
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
EDIT: looks like you just left the blank entry that came in the dist file. Sorry to mislead - that was just meant as a pattern to be followed - you need to specify a value or if there is a definite default, just comment out the line
Ah, ok. Yeah, I have a lot of "blank" settings lines in there because I thought that's what would trigger the default. I'll go through my .ini file and try again.

Update: ok, now I'm getting this:

Code:
ConfigError: Error in ini file.  Section hmeserver needs tags or values option
The only place I can find the [hmeserver] section is in my main pyhme config.ini file, which I thought vidmgr doesn't use anymore? Still stuck ...

|

Last edited by windracer : 09-19-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #368
jbernardis

Sorry about that. The decision to move from config.ini to my own config file was made late in the development, and I forgot to go back and test the situation where the cache was built dynamically. If you had pre-built the cache, this would have worked fine. But in any event, you discovered the error - so now it's fixed.

I updated GIT. FYI - only 1 file changed - __init__.py

Old 09-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #369
txporter
One sec, almost done

When you say it only works with HD now, do you mean I need to have HD menus enabled to use it?
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:06 AM   #370
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
When you say it only works with HD now, do you mean I need to have HD menus enabled to use it?
No. That would be limited to the Premier. It has to be an HD capable TiVo. It works fine with S3 and THD TiVos. It works with the THD in the guest room with an NTSC monitor attached, but it looks horrible. I also have an NTSC capture device attached to my TiVo in the theater, and it looks much better.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:25 PM   #371
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
But in any event, you discovered the error - so now it's fixed.
Yep, thanks! Now to play with the new features ...

|
Old 09-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #372
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Yep, thanks! Now to play with the new features ...
Haven't heard back from you. I guess no news is good news??

Old 09-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #373
windracer
joined the 10k club

Heh, sorry about that.

Yes, so far so good. Using the virtual tags shows me just how dirty generated metadata can be. For example, if I use the high-level Genre tags I get all sorts of weird groups. I haven't had time to play with the values filters much yet, but it looks like you can do some cool stuff with the virtual shares.

|
Old 09-24-2011, 07:01 AM   #374
jcthorne

When I open vidmgr.ini.dist in notepad, I get a very unformated mess of text. Turning on word wrap does not help. Its obvious from the odd characters in the data that some other utility is intended for viewing and editing this file.

What am I supposed to be using as notepad is not workable for the file as is.

EDIT: Opening the .ini file in wordpad seems to work.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:

Last edited by jcthorne : 09-24-2011 at 08:13 AM.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:16 AM   #375
jcthorne

Next question,

I have one video share in pytivo. It contains directories for movies, tv shows and concerts. When creating a virtual share, such as Movies by Genre, I only want items inthe movies directory, not from the tv shows. How do I specify that it only include items from specific directories? Do I have to create multiple video shares in pytivo?

Old 09-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #376
jcthorne

Launching pythonHME I get the following error:

Skipping: vidmgr2 - No module named win32file

Last edited by jcthorne : 09-24-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #377
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
When creating a virtual share, such as Movies by Genre, I only want items inthe movies directory, not from the tv shows. How do I specify that it only include items from specific directories?
I was trying something like this too, using a values of isEpisode=false but wasn't having good luck with it.

|
Old 09-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #378
Tobashadow

Quote:

I just went thru that today, this was what i needed to install to fix it.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywi...6.exe/download

New and Improved! - Cancer Free since Feb 10th 2010!!! F*%K Cancer!
Tobashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #379
Tobashadow

Is there a easier way to read the vdmgr config file in windows?

In notepad all i get is one huge nonstop paragraph and its making it hard to understand where i make my edits.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #380
Tobashadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobashadow View Post

In notepad all i get is one huge nonstop paragraph and its making it hard to understand where i make my edits.
Nevermind found one.

For future users - http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Old 09-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #381
Tobashadow

Ok im lost, i edited the config file and i still get the same error.

vidmgr\Config.py line 66

vidmgr configuration file does not exist

Old 09-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #382
windracer
joined the 10k club

Make sure you just named it vidmgr.ini (take off the .dist).

|
Old 09-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #383
Tobashadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Make sure you just named it vidmgr.ini (take off the .dist).
Well that got past that error now i get a vidmgr instance has no attribute vcChanged error.

Damn this is frustrating there is very little documentation on this.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #384
Tobashadow

Tried commenting out all settings but the pytivo and tivo settings and still get same error.

Verified Tivo settings and numbers and pytivo settings.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #385
jbernardis

Quote:

I use vim, but I guess that's only friendly to those of us who have used vi on Unix. There is absolutely no special formatting being done in the file - so I don't know why notepad has a problem with it. Maybe a programmer's editor would be better - there are lots of freeware editors.

I think the problem might be with the difference between the way Windows handles end-of-line versus how unix does it.

Last edited by jbernardis : 09-24-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #386
jbernardis

Quote:
Well that got past that error now i get a vidmgr instance has no attribute vcChanged error.

Damn this is frustrating there is very little documentation on this.
Can you provide the exact error text?

Also, could you let us know what your directory structure looks like - what files are in what directory - and how you invoke the program?

Old 09-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #387
jbernardis

Quote:

What version of python are you running? win32file was included in my python distribution and I am at 2.7. It's only imported if you are running on a windows system.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:50 PM   #388
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
I think the problem might be with the difference between the way Windows handles end-of-line versus how unix does it.
That's definitely the case. I run vidmgr on Linux, but I tried opening the vidmgr.ini file in my default editor (Notepad++) and Windows Notepad. Notepad is definitely not interpreting the Unix-style CR/LFs properly. Notepad++ is just fine.

|
Old 09-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #389
Tobashadow

here yha go, i get this when i try to go into the program from the Tivo and get nothing but a black screen on the Tivo

No issues with standard Pytivo or pushing from a the web interface for Pytivo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4e7e8caceddc6c35ed002675.jpg (62.4 KB, 13 views)

Old 09-24-2011, 09:15 PM   #390
jbernardis

Quote:
here yha go, i get this when i try to go into the program from the Tivo and get nothing but a black screen on the Tivo

No issues with standard Pytivo or pushing from a the web interface for Pytivo.
The vcChanged error is not important here - it's a bug that has to be fixed, but it's only coming out because the cleanup routine is being called before I expected it. This routine is called by pyhme when the app is being torn down. The real question is why is it trying to tear the app down.

Is there ANY other output form the program before this point, and what are the contents of your vidmgr.ini file - don't forget to mask out your TSN's before uploading your config file.