TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2011, 06:43 AM   #1
riodavid

Series 2 No Audio

Just hooked up my Series 2 after it being idle for 9 months. I can hear the Tivo sounds and listen to previously recorded shows.

I cannot hear live TV audio. I have tried RCA cables (many) and coax cable connections, same, no audio. I do get audio from my cable box when I connect directly to the TV.

When I have coax connection and power off the box, I get signal, with audio, on the TV.

I have run guided setup several times to configure with cable, no box, box, etc, to no avail.

My feeling is that the box is broken. However, I have not given up. I changed the hard disk years ago, so not timid about opening the box up and poking around.

One complication, I live in Rio de Janeiro and use the box to manually record, playback, pause, etc. I have messed with the SAP settings and do not think this is the problem.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by riodavid : 09-21-2011 at 07:46 AM.
riodavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by riodavid View Post
Just hooked up my Series 2 after it being idle for 9 months. I can hear the Tivo sounds and listen to previously recorded shows.

I cannot hear live TV audio. I have tried RCA cables (many) and coax cable connections, same, no audio. I do get audio from my cable box when I connect directly to the TV.

When I have coax connection and power off the box, I get signal, with audio, on the TV.

I have run guided setup several times to configure with cable, no box, box, etc, to no avail.

My feeling is that the box is broken. However, I have not given up. I changed the hard disk years ago, so not timid about opening the box up and poking around.

One complication, I live in Rio de Janeiro and use the box to manually record, playback, pause, etc. I have messed with the SAP settings and do not think this is the problem.

Any suggestions?
When you say you have messed with the SAP settings, I assume you mean that you tried all of the different options for that setting with no noticable difference.

Can you record a show now and hear audio from it on playback?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
riodavid

I changed all the SAP settings on the cable box and on TIVO. All combos, no audio.

I recorded a brief bit, but on playback, no audio. Sigh.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
I changed all the SAP settings on the cable box and on TIVO. All combos, no audio.

I recorded a brief bit, but on playback, no audio. Sigh.
Are you recording analog cable, just cable to the RF input on the back of the TiVo, no cable box or adapter of any kind?

Old 09-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
riodavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Are you recording analog cable, just cable to the RF input on the back of the TiVo, no cable box or adapter of any kind?
I recorded the output of the cable box on the coax. My next option will be to run guided setup again, and use RCA inputs from the cable box and then connect my DVD player to the input and see if that works.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
riodavid

Oh when I swap the connections and watch TV on the coax and have the RCA on the Tivo, also no audio. But current setup is for the coax, have to run guided setup to swap back.

I setup using 90204 as the zip code, but have done this for years and worked well before.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
Soapm

Did you look in Messaging and Settings ==> Settings ==> Audio and made sure everything is right there?
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:06 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
I recorded the output of the cable box on the coax. My next option will be to run guided setup again, and use RCA inputs from the cable box and then connect my DVD player to the input and see if that works.
Do you have a subscription on that TiVo?

Guided Setup usually wants to confirm account status.

If you really can run GS and lie to it that you're in a California zip code, you should be able to lie to it and say that you've got satellite (DirecTV, since they have a channel 1) as well as cable, provided you've got something outputing video into the video input jack, so that it thinks it detects a satellite box, and then tune to channel 1 and check the audio and video on the line inputs.

If you can get live audio on the line ins, but not on the RF in, that'll tell us something.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:30 AM   #9
riodavid

Well, GS finished and I get video just fine, connected the RCA audio out from my DVD player and no audio, so I think the TIVO is dead.

I will run and see if satellite works.

Thanks guys..
Old 09-22-2011, 06:58 AM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Well, GS finished and I get video just fine, connected the RCA audio out from my DVD player and no audio, so I think the TIVO is dead.

I will run and see if satellite works.

Thanks guys..
So you haven't told it the "I've got DirecTV" lie yet?

Old 09-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #11
riodavid

GS is finishing now for DirectTV. On the GS setup, I cant recall if you get audio when it asks if you see a picture. I did see a picture, but no audio. Will post back when the 2nd download finishes.

Yes, this TIVO is subscribed.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:45 AM   #12
unitron

Okay, so you're feeding something into the line inputs that the TiVo thinks is a satellite receiver, right?

Old 09-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #13
riodavid

Yep, I have the 3 RCA inputs connected correctly. I have fine video. Still no audio. The same cable works fine when I connect directy to the TV.

So, i think out of options. The audio input part of the TIVO must be dead.

Does not work when configured for coax input (but if the TIVO is powered off signal passes through with audio to the TV)

Does not work with RCA cables when configured for cable box or direct tv box.

Does not work with DVD player attached.

Does not work with newly recorded and playback.

Does have audio for Tivo sounds and previously recorded shows.

Best bet, have someone bring an old series 1 or 2 down here for me. I have a HUMAX in California but a bit large to put in luggage.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by riodavid : 09-22-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Yep, I have the 3 RCA inputs connected correctly. I have fine video. Still no audio. The same cable works fine when I connect directy to the TV.

So, i think out of options. The audio input part of the TIVO must be dead.

Does not work when configured for coax input (but if the TIVO is powered off signal passes through with audio to the TV)

Does not work with RCA cables when configured for cable box or direct tv box.

Does not work with DVD player attached.

Does not work with newly recorded and playback.

Does have audio for Tivo sounds and previously recorded shows.

Best bet, have someone bring an old series 1 or 2 down here for me. I have a HUMAX in California but a bit large to put in luggage.

Thanks guys.
The reason I had you do the fake satellite thing was to see if it was the analog circuitry immediately following the tuner that separates out the video and the audio (what was once known as the IF strip in televisions) that had developed a problem in the audio part, but apparently the part that takes the analog audio from either the tuner or the line inputs and digitizes it has quit working.

It could be something simple like a capacitor gone bad, but you need a schematic to find it.

What model is this and is it a lifetime sub?

Old 09-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #15
riodavid

Model number is TCD240008A. No lifetime. My lifetime is on two Series 1s that some family members have.

Re-setting it up for cable, no STB. I did not run clear everything and start over, I do have some movies recorded that I like to watch, but I can move to desktop.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #16
unitron

Quote:
Model number is TCD240008A. No lifetime. My lifetime is on two Series 1s that some family members have.

Re-setting it up for cable, no STB. I did not run clear everything and start over, I do have some movies recorded that I like to watch, but I can move to desktop.
Is there any chance you can get your hands on another 240 or 540 down there?

Do you have a #10 torx driver?

When I previously said "capacitor", I meant one on the motherboard.

However, that model is known for capacitors (one in particular) going bad in the power supply.

It's just barely within the realm of possibility that your power supply is just barely enough below working properly that most everything will work except that one circuit.

Check out badcaps.net and lcdalternatives to get an idea of what bad electrolytic capacitors look like, then go here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...-Power-Supply/

It's for a satellite TiVo, but the principle's the same and the power supply is very similar looking. It's the same value cap as well. I think Radio Shack has one of the same microFarad and voltage rating, if they've got Radio Shacks down there. Just be sure to observe polarity.

If it can keep one tuner out of 2 on the DirecTiVo from working, it could probably keep your problem circuit from working as well.

You can borrow the power supply out of another 240 or 540 to see if it fixes things.

The 540 supply doesn't have quite the current delivering capacity as the 240 supply, so it's not a permanent replacement.

Last edited by unitron : 09-22-2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 09-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #17
riodavid

Dont have a torx 10 but easy to find one here. Not so easy to find the capacitor (finding an electronic component store not easy).

Nobody here has a TIVO that I know of.

The cable company does have HD DVRs but cost a fortune and are terrible user interface and controls (or lack thereof).

I might open it up later tonight and look around.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #18
unitron

Quote:
Dont have a torx 10 but easy to find one here. Not so easy to find the capacitor (finding an electronic component store not easy).

Nobody here has a TIVO that I know of.

The cable company does have HD DVRs but cost a fortune and are terrible user interface and controls (or lack thereof).

I might open it up later tonight and look around.
Be sure to check those website first so that you know what to look for, and re-read my previous post which I edited.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #19
riodavid

Thanks, I used to design and build electronic equipment, in my former life! Then fix large mainframe computers for IBM for a lot of years (oh some had vaccum tubes in the day, then, wow, transistors!! But the days of fixing electonics with an oscilloscope and logic diagrams or schematics are pretty much gone (at least for me).
Old 09-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #20
unitron

Quote:
Thanks, I used to design and build electronic equipment, in my former life! Then fix large mainframe computers for IBM for a lot of years (oh some had vaccum tubes in the day, then, wow, transistors!! But the days of fixing electonics with an oscilloscope and logic diagrams or schematics are pretty much gone (at least for me).
Well, you've got me beat. My first computer was only an IBM 360. Of course it was at TUCC*, so I had to share it with a lot of other people.

But anyway, see if you're a victim of capacitor disease before you give up on it.

*Triangle Universities Computation Center--Carolina, Duke, and State

Old 09-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #21
riodavid

Opened up the box, the caps all look good. Nice and flat on top and bottom. I am afraid that is a victim of the high humidity and salt air. All the electronics here have problems. One trick we do, is to hair dry circuit boards then spray with womens hair spray to coat and protect them. I live on the beach in Copacabana, a small price to pay for the life here!! The box had a good life but afraid it has just bit the dust.

BTW, the external fan cage is pretty rusted, a sign of the salt air. I have had it here for 5 years.

Take care, if ever in Rio, look me up.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #22
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
My first computer was only an IBM 360.
I still have my old TRS80 that ran basic. I will have to look for it, haven't seen it in a while. We've come a long way since then.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:57 AM   #23
riodavid

IBM 1401 was the first I programed. Then worked on the SAGE computers which had vaccum tubes. Then the IBM 360 came out and the world changed. Then the IBM PC (well maybe some of the kit PCs started it) and the world changed again. Oh, the old days! What am I saying, cant live without the technology we have today.

I can ask simple questions about just anything on the net, and get guys like you, thousands of miles away to help out.

I will suffer along without my TIVO for a while. I do miss the program information. Wish they would enter the brazilian market, the DVRs here are a POS.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:07 AM   #24
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
I still have my old TRS80 that ran basic. I will have to look for it, haven't seen it in a while. We've come a long way since then.
You do know that I was talking about a mainframe that was so expensive it was shared by 3 Universities, so referring to it as "my" first computer was intended as humor?

Although it was the first computer on which I ever wrote and ran a program.

Something like add 2 and 2, typed on punch cards which ran as batch files in the middle of the night, and usually came back failed, with no explanation.