TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
BrianSConover

TiVo TCD658000...Hard Drive failure - Need Image (.tbk) for WinMFS...Please Help

Hard Drive died and I can't find a image file of the operating system. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also...I tried the mfslive.iso test start-up disk recommended prior to purchasing instantcake and it failed to see the SATA to USB connected hard drive. Apparently Instantcake needs a SATA to motherboard connection.

I also tried Tivo.com/linux but can't figure out how to do the install as I know very little dos prompt and no linux prompt.

The only option I have is to use WinMFS to reload a .tpk back up image which hopefully one of you have.

Much Thanks,
BrianSConover@gmail.com

Last edited by BrianSConover : 09-21-2011 at 03:12 PM.
BrianSConover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
lpwcomp

Just realized - this is a Premiere. Ghod. No it isn't. Never mind.
The problem was that when I followed a link from a google search on the model, it went to a page for a Premiere XL. I knew that model number was a THD XL but for some reason it didn't register.

What kind of drive is the replacement?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"

Last edited by lpwcomp : 09-21-2011 at 02:19 PM.
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
BrianSConover

My TCD658000 (XL) came with a Western Digital WD10EVVS (1TB) and I replaced it with the exact same drive (bare)

Also...I have heard horrible stories about how WinMFS screws up the hard drives on Tivo Premiere...Pretty sure WinMFS is for series 3 and before. Something to do with altering the boot loader and rendering the drive unreadable to the Tivo Premiere?

My understanding is that jmfs-rev104.iso is the perfect tool for expanding drive capacity for Series 4 Premiere. Im pretty sure you can use Sata to USB adapters.

Seeking (.tbk) Image for TiVo TCD658000 (XL)...Hopefully someone can help me.

Last edited by BrianSConover : 09-21-2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Sorry
Old 09-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
lpwcomp

You might try posting your request here

Old 09-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
BrianSConover

Also...I have spent literally hours searching the web for a FTP file server of any sort that could provide the vital component to starting my Tivo...I search the bit-torrents 5-10 times a day but nothing comes up. These files are not a deep dark secret that Tivo,inc is trying to keep away from us. You can download any of the operating systems at the tivo website but I think you need a linux computer to install on the hard drive...So far, the most effective way to get a Tivo (Series3) up and running with the least amount of fuss is find a back up image and loading it into WinMFS after connecting the drive. I should have created a Back Up image a long time ago but I never thought the process would be so complicate to get things up and running again...If my hard drives dies on my PC I just get another hard drive and install XP...Done...Tivo has seriously complicate this situation and I do not believe that Weaknees and DRVupgrade are the fair solution.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
lpwcomp

Instantcake should work over a USB to SATA connection. However, it probably won't work on a drive that is identical to the stock drive. From the instructions:

Quote:
The boot CD used for this version of InstantCake is known to support USB 2.0 to SATA (and IDE) controllers such as this one and that means you can use a standard laptop to prepare a drive, as well.

You will also need a hard drive to prepare for your TiVo unit. This drive should be larger than the original stock drive of your unit.
Quote:
We do not recommend you use your existing TiVo disk drive for InstantCake installations, in fact, in many cases it will not work: the target drive is expected to be larger than the original - please keep your TiVo drive in a safe place as a backup; at least until you've used InstantCake successfully at least once.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
BrianSConover

I tried the mfslive.iso test start up disc recommended for instantcake and it crashes...With WinMFS I can see the new (bare) drive...Just need the image (.tbk) file to load in

Last edited by BrianSConover : 09-21-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSConover View Post
Also...I have spent literally hours searching the web for a FTP file server of any sort that could provide the vital component to starting my Tivo...I search the bit-torrents 5-10 times a day but nothing comes up. These files are not a deep dark secret that Tivo,inc is trying to keep away from us. You can download any of the operating systems at the tivo website but I think you need a linux computer to install on the hard drive...So far, the most effective way to get a Tivo (Series3) up and running with the least amount of fuss is find a back up image and loading it into WinMFS after connecting the drive. I should have created a Back Up image a long time ago but I never thought the process would be so complicate to get things up and running again...If my hard drives dies on my PC I just get another hard drive and install XP...Done...Tivo has seriously complicate this situation and I do not believe that Weaknees and DRVupgrade are the fair solution.
There used to be sites that had the images needed available for download. TiVo got them shutdown.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
BrianSConover

James...Id rather think that Weaknees and DVRupgrade have influenced that availability...Present day Tivo does not seem to worked up by it as having series 1,2,3 boxes online collecting subscription fees. On the flip side, A dead box is a brick or a premiere purchase. Either way Tivo, is happy. It's amazing how quick Tivo is to recommend weaknees when they are in copy right infringement on the OS...They can float the OS and sell a hard drive or service but you and I can't make a back up and give it to one another for a simple 3 click load in?...Maybe is Lou at DVRUpgrade was not such an ass to the Tivo community we would all overlook the $40 cost of instantcake and actually use their product.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
lpwcomp

BTW, what you need is a .tbk file.

I hope that the replacement drive's "Intellipower" feature doesn't include "Intellipark".

Old 09-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #11
BrianSConover

Edited to correct .tbk...THANKS !

Im pretty sure I'll need to use the Western Digital hard drive utility to adjust the drive behavior...I found a really interesting tutorial on the subject at Youtube.

All I really care about now is getting that .tbk file...Im paying Tivo fees and not actually getting use out the box unless you consider it a paper weight / door jam
Old 09-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #12
lpwcomp

Quote:
Edited to correct .tbk...THANKS !

Im pretty sure I'll need to use the Western Digital hard drive utility to adjust the drive behavior...I found a really interesting tutorial on the subject at Youtube.
wdidle3.exe won't work over a USB-SATA connection.
Quote:
All I really care about now is getting that .tbk file...Im paying Tivo fees and not actually getting use out the box unless you consider it a paper weight / door jam
TiVos no longer weigh enough to adequately act as a door jam.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #13
lpwcomp

Quote:
James...Id rather think that Weaknees and DVRupgrade have influenced that availability...Present day Tivo does not seem to worked up by it as having series 1,2,3 boxes online collecting subscription fees. On the flip side, A dead box is a brick or a premiere purchase. Either way Tivo, is happy. It's amazing how quick Tivo is to recommend weaknees when they are in copy right infringement on the OS...They can float the OS and sell a hard drive or service but you and I can't make a back up and give it to one another for a simple 3 click load in?...Maybe is Lou at DVRUpgrade was not such an ass to the Tivo community we would all overlook the $40 cost of instantcake and actually use their product.
Yes, that was my theory too. I suspect that both weaKnees and dvr_dude are paying TiVo for the rights to "distribute" the s/w.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
BrianSConover

wdidle3.exe won't work over a USB-SATA connection...The plot thickens !...Ill need to take the drive over to a friends house.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #15
ncsercs
DirecTivo fan.......

I had a Premiere drive die on me and for a reason I cannot believe, there is not even 1 image anywhere on the internet. I'll be dammed if I pay for an image that I'm sure someone else already has. Considering how cheap they are nowadays, the drive is worth more than the box. Since I couldn't get any help getting another image (that I refuse to pay for), I threw it in the garbage.

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996

1 TiVo Series3 / 1 DTV H24 / 2 DTV HR24
ncsercs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #16
BrianSConover

The problem with the new Premiere box in the interest of you needing and getting a .tbk image file is it involves someone actually removing the drive from a working system and think of someone other than them self down the road. Not a easy request to fulfill.

I'm in need of a rather dated Tivo HD XL image which has hopefully floated around long enough that I will eventually get one.

I too have a Premiere that I upgraded to a 2TB for $50 more than you paid for a replacement stock 320GB system...That extra 1.6GB seems like good value with 317 hours of HD
Old 09-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #17
lpwcomp

Quote:
The problem with the new Premiere box in the interest of you needing and getting a .tbk image file is it involves someone actually removing the drive from a working system and think of someone other than them self down the road. Not a easy request to fulfill.
The real problem is that none of the tools currently available to consumers is capable of making or restoring a truncated backup of a Premiere.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #18
shwru980r

You can probably find a premiere on craig's list and use that drive.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:26 AM   #19
BrianSConover

Actually...This is better than nothing.

The Definitive Guide to Upgrading Your Tivo Premiere - Part I
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Old 09-22-2011, 04:28 AM   #20
BrianSConover

Id just make a hard drive backup of the exact same size and set it aside.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:35 AM   #21
lpwcomp

Quote:
Id just make a hard drive backup of the exact same size and set it aside.
Unless you're worried about the performance/life of a 2TB drive or ,like me, are on a really tight budget where $10-$15 makes a difference, it makes more sense to upgrade to the 2TB.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:25 AM   #22
unitron

Quote:
What you can download from TiVo is the source for the Linux code they use.

That's not all of the TiVo software. There's also the proprietary stuff that they wrote themselves for which they don't make the source available.

If you have a pc that can run XP, you can also use the MFS Live cd v1.4 (from mfslive.org) to restore a truncated image made by MFS Live or MFS Tools if you should happen to lay hands on one of those.

MFS Live has no connection to InstantCake.

If your computer doesn't have a SATA port to which you can connect a SATA drive, you can use a JMicron or Marvell chipset based IDE/SATA adapter* to make any software that has to access the hard drive via the IDE controller (or more accurately any software that only knows to look at /dev/hdx and isn't written to also consider /dev/sdx) think that it's talking to an IDE drive.

*adapter thread is here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=416883

and you can learn stuff by reading it.

Generally there's really no such thing as a Linux computer or a Windows computer. If you can run one on a given computer, it'll run the other.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #23
BrianSConover

www.tivo.com/linux

Tivo instructed me to go to this side for all their operating systems...The dilemma is that you need a linux machine to load these resources onto a hard drive prior to dropping into a tivo box?

I talked to a programming friend he sensed a linux environment was going to be needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tivo Premiere - 2TB (downstairs)
Tivo Premiere - 320GB (upstairs)
Tivo HD - Now working, thanks to dwit (living room)
Old 09-25-2011, 09:49 PM   #24
lpwcomp

Quote:
www.tivo.com/linux

Tivo instructed me to go to this side for all their operating systems...The dilemma is that you need a linux machine to load these resources onto a hard drive prior to dropping into a tivo box?

I talked to a programming friend he sensed a linux environment was going to be needed.
That site is for TiVos mods to the linux kernal, some commands and some of the tools. It does not provide you with access to their proprietary code, not even in object(executable) form. You cannot use just what is available there to build a replacement disk for a TiVo.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:56 PM   #25
unitron

Quote:
www.tivo.com/linux

Go to google and enter

site:craigslist.org tivo

then use the search tools on the left to sort by previous month--sort by date

and look for someone selling an HD XL

Email them and see if they'll take PayPal and ship

(there was someone in the Miami/Palm Beach area selling 2 of them at $50 each a few days ago)

Use it to get the image, then keep it for spare parts or sell it on, and upload the image to a file sharing service so you can help out the next guy.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:16 AM   #26
BrianSConover

Scored a image from dwit...Works like a charm..THANKS FOR THE REPLY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #27
Evilearnie

Same issue

Any chance of getting this image as well for the Tivo HD XL. Hard drive took a dump never even thought once about having to backup the drive.

Thanks
Evilearnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #28
BrianSConover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilearnie View Post
Any chance of getting this image as well for the Tivo HD XL. Hard drive took a dump never even thought once about having to backup the drive.

Thanks
Evilearnie...Can you email me your mailing address...The file you need for the XL is 405MB and Id need to send it to you on a CD Rom.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:56 PM   #29
Evilearnie

Thanks for the help Brian. Glad my Tivo HD XL is back up and running.
Evilearnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #30
ParaDiddle

Can anyone help me with an image for the TCD658000?
ParaDiddle is offline   Reply With Quote