TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #8131
Beryl

Hope they gave you credit for the 4 months of partial service. It was Comcast's error.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #8132
ghuido

I'm telling my in-laws to call to get a service credit. They so deserve it.
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #8133
clearmoon247

im in need of gettings a cable card for my tivo hd through comcast
clearmoon247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #8134
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearmoon247 View Post
im in need of gettings a cable card for my tivo hd through comcast
Have you called them?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:24 AM   #8135
ghuido

. Here are the steps I follow

Step 1 - Ensure your Comcast Account is set up right by calling Customer Service (God my least favorite step)

Call them an ensure your account has the right package for getting the channels you want. If you don't pay for HD channels you won't be getting them even if you use a cable card. This also leads them to put the right rate codes on your account.

Step 2 - Send email to comcast requesting Self-Install Kit

Best starting point is to send an email to We_Can_Hel​p@cable.co​mcast.com

You will need to provide the home phone number for the account. Request that you want to pick up a Self-Install Kit for a Cablecard from your local service center. You can find where your local service center is for comcast by going to - http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/sho...reLocator.html

If they don't have self-installs available in your area (Which they should), request a truck roll.

The key point is to request a Type M Cable Card (The Cable Card will say on it that it is M), and ensure that they put in the right Rate codes on your account so that the Cablecard is authorized correctly. They will put the rate codes on the cablecard when you go to pick it up.

Step 3 - Install the cable card on the TIVO and call comcast to Initialize

This is not a problem and there is a lot of documentation online on TIVO website on how to do this. The Comcast Self-install kit also has the Phone number you would call to initialize the card.

One thing, when talking to them and they set up the card it is not an INSTANT process that you will get all your channels sometimes it takes a little bit of time. ASK the person on the phone for the number you should call if there is an issue afterwards. It was a god send to me. I would put it but I don't have it with me right now ... think it started with 1-855 (If someone has it please post it).

Step 4 - Watch TV

Assuming it all worked, you should just sit back now and watch TV.

The most common problem is that you have bad Rate Codes associated to your account or Cable Card and you are not getting the channels you are paying for. You can usually tell if you go to Cable Card -> Conditional Access and see about 10 lines down something that says "AUTH: MP". If succesfull it should say "AUTH: S" for Succesful Authorization.

Hope this helps
Overall it can be an easy process but sometimes can be a royal pain. I've done it three times. The first two where a breeze and the last one was not.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #8136
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuido View Post

Step 1 - Ensure your Comcast Account is set up right by calling Customer Service (God my least favorite step)

Call them an ensure your account has the right package for getting the channels you want. If you don't pay for HD channels you won't be getting them even if you use a cable card. This also leads them to put the right rate codes on your account.
I disagree. At least in my market there is no extra charge for HD channels. If you have a cablecard and subscribe to a package, any HD versions of those channels in the package are also available.

However, there is a charge for Comcast provided HD equipment, such as a converter box or DVR. You don't need their converter unless you wish to receive Pay per View or Video on Demand.

Quote:
One thing, when talking to them and they set up the card it is not an INSTANT process that you will get all your channels sometimes it takes a little bit of time. ASK the person on the phone for the number you should call if there is an issue afterwards. It was a god send to me. I would put it but I don't have it with me right now ... think it started with 1-855 (If someone has it please post it).
Also, at least in my market, once the card has the channel map (this may take a few seconds) and they send the HIT to the card, it MAY be instantaneous. I once had a problem with one card losing its authorization and the CSR sent the hit and BAM, the channel came in instantly. YMMV

Quote:
The most common problem is that you have bad Rate Codes associated to your account or Cable Card and you are not getting the channels you are paying for. You can usually tell if you go to Cable Card -> Conditional Access and see about 10 lines down something that says "AUTH: MP". If succesfull it should say "AUTH: S" for Succesful Authorization.
Another very common problem is they key in the wrong pairing data into the computer. Ensure they read back the numbers to you so you can confirm they match.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:22 AM   #8137
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver
Another very common problem is they key in the wrong pairing data into the computer. Ensure they read back the numbers to you so you can confirm they match.
Another somewhat common issue is they back out of the pairing screen instead of saving, so they don't save the pairing info.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #8138
ghuido

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
I disagree. At least in my market there is no extra charge for HD channels. If you have a cablecard and subscribe to a package, any HD versions of those channels in the package are also available.

However, there is a charge for Comcast provided HD equipment, such as a converter box or DVR. You don't need their converter unless you wish to receive Pay per View or Video on Demand.
Yeah, i did not spell that out right. More like make sure you have a package that gets you the channels you want. For me it is digital preferred. Which gets me the HD channels I want to see.

once had a friend that did all the steps and only had Basic on his Service Plan. he kept asking me why he could not get the channels through his cable card. Once I figured it out, .. well .. frustrating.

Also, make sure your plan has certain services on it. The only problem is some people have this and some don't. Services/Billing are a little wacky across the states.

- Digital Preferred A/O
- HD Technology Fee
Old 09-15-2011, 06:18 AM   #8139
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

No HD tech fee here in the ATL if you don't use their boxes, and it is a complete crock that they charge this for Cablecard-only users in some areas.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:33 AM   #8140
ghuido

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
No HD tech fee here in the ATL if you don't use their boxes, and it is a complete crock that they charge this for Cablecard-only users in some areas.
I'll have to check a little more. I used to have a box before I switched over to TIVO HD's. Maybe I never connected the two.

Anybody else have the The $9.25 HD Technology Fee if they don't havea comcast provided Cable box in their house.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #8141
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
I have an SD digital box and two CableCARDed TiVos. About 6 months ago, they switched from charging me $3/mo for two CableCARDs to $17/mo(2 @ $8.50 each) for "Digital Service". They are crediting me $5/mo(2 x $2.50 "Customer Owned Equipment Credit")

When I got my Premiere in Feb, I thought the FCC self-install mandate was already in effect, so I complained vigorously about not being able to self-install the CableCARD. I guess this prompted them to re-examine my account, and *boom*, change in charging.

If you are not being charged for multiple digital access, keep a low profile.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:18 AM   #8142
ghuido

Ah ... the crazy Comcast Billing Merry Go Round continues ... sometimes I should just be happy it works and the S.O. is not upset b/c her Real Housewives did not record.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #8143
davewalls

In Philly, I'm getting billed by Crapcast for my 3 Cablecards (2 SS, 1MS) $9.25 each for the A/O.

Is this typical, or is there a way to argue this? This doesn't sound right to me...
davewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #8144
danjw1

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewalls View Post
In Philly, I'm getting billed by Crapcast for my 3 Cablecards (2 SS, 1MS) $9.25 each for the A/O.

Is this typical, or is there a way to argue this? This doesn't sound right to me...
You should be getting the first CableCard for free. The others you can be billed for, as for the price should be $1.50. If you are not using any Comcast set top boxes, you should also be getting a credit on your bill for that. References:

http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FA...4-def06cced0db

http://www.comcast.com/equipmentpolicy/

Do you have a Series 3? That is the only reason to have 2 S-Cards, instead of 1 M-card. The only charge you should see for a FIRST CableCard in a device is an "outlet" fee for that device. The outlet fee should not be charged for the first device. Also, make sure they credit your account for any past over billing.

Last edited by danjw1 : 09-16-2011 at 04:12 PM.
danjw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #8145
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

No, $1.50 is NOT the normal price for additional cards. The normal price is the A/O fee, minus the new card credit (around $6 to $6.50 net).

Those areas that are charging $1.50 for extra cards are incorrectly applying the 'Tivo extra card in same outlet' fee to them if they are truly extra outlets (i.e. not second card in same box). Great for those areas, but definitely not the standard for most.

Dave if you have two single stream cards, you should only get charged $1.50 for the second one assuming it's in an S3. I would call and get that corrected. For the M-card, you'll get hit with the A/O fee.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #8146
tmesser

I just got my latest bill and the Customer Owned Equipment credit of $2.50 per CableCARD has disappeared. Naturally, I called Comcast and the person who answered doesn't know anything about their Customer Owned Equipment Policy.

God, I hate this company.

ETA: The rep called me back and said she was giving me TWO $2.50 credits, even though I have THREE cards (2 in TiVos, 1 in a TV) and I was previously getting THREE credits. "Well, we're only charging you for the two CableCARDs" - which really means that I'm only getting charged for two additional outlets. I said "that's because the first card is included in the first digital outlet." She grudgingly gave me the third credit.

I really hope this is a one-time billing error and that I don't have to go through this BS again next month.
- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour

Last edited by tmesser : 09-20-2011 at 11:55 AM.
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #8147
hybucket

I foolishly called Comcast yesterday to complain about a $4 increase in my bill for no apparent reason (the CSR eventually removed the charge), but somehow got into a discussion with the CSR about cable cards and HD. Amazingly, I controlled myself while dealing with this really nice lady in Chelmsford, MA, who knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about Comcast pricing. She INSISTED that, in order for me to get HD on another outlet in my home, there was an extra $8.95 charge for a technician to go to the pole and BRING in a special cable to allow HD to get to my TV!!!! When I explained to her that I had an existing cable connection plugged into my HDTV and was ALREADY getting an HD signal from all the local stations FROM THE CABLE, she told me that just wasn't possible. That's when I said, "Thanks for your time---bye now."
hybucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #8148
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybucket View Post
I foolishly called Comcast yesterday to complain about a $4 increase in my bill for no apparent reason (the CSR eventually removed the charge), but somehow got into a discussion with the CSR about cable cards and HD. Amazingly, I controlled myself while dealing with this really nice lady in Chelmsford, MA, who knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about Comcast pricing. She INSISTED that, in order for me to get HD on another outlet in my home, there was an extra $8.95 charge for a technician to go to the pole and BRING in a special cable to allow HD to get to my TV!!!! When I explained to her that I had an existing cable connection plugged into my HDTV and was ALREADY getting an HD signal from all the local stations FROM THE CABLE, she told me that just wasn't possible. That's when I said, "Thanks for your time---bye now."
SOMEBODY that bad would have me writing a serious letter to Comcast Management. Of course who is to blame?

Comcast for hiring someone like that?
or
Comcast for not training them?
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #8149
hybucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
SOMEBODY that bad would have me writing a serious letter to Comcast Management. Of course who is to blame?

Comcast for hiring someone like that?
or
As I mentioned, she was really very nice...just COMPLETELY oblivious. If it had been a big issue, I would have asked for either a supervisor, or for customer retention. I started going into why they were charging me for a cable card that they are NOT supposed to charge for, but she gave me the spiel that others have given me, so I didn't persue it when I realized she was brain dead.
A friendly CSR at Comcast once told me they train for up to three months before they are even allowed near a phone. If you've taken a look at a Comcast bill recently, you know that it would take a Philadelphia lawyer to figure it all out, and even they'd have a problem with it. Even the most experienced CSRs usually have to ask someone if you give them a question that's beyond them (like, most of them!). Comcast seems to think that the majority of their customers are complete idiots when it comes to tekkie stuff, and I'm sure that most callers that she gives that "technician on a pole" talk to, would believe it.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #8150
danjw1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmesser View Post
I just got my latest bill and the Customer Owned Equipment credit of $2.50 per CableCARD has disappeared. Naturally, I called Comcast and the person who answered doesn't know anything about their Customer Owned Equipment Policy.

God, I hate this company.

ETA: The rep called me back and said she was giving me TWO $2.50 credits, even though I have THREE cards (2 in TiVos, 1 in a TV) and I was previously getting THREE credits. "Well, we're only charging you for the two CableCARDs" - which really means that I'm only getting charged for two additional outlets. I said "that's because the first card is included in the first digital outlet." She grudgingly gave me the third credit.

I really hope this is a one-time billing error and that I don't have to go through this BS again next month.
My experience is that you should be fine, as long as you don't make any more changes to your account. Once they get it right, it stays right, at least until another change comes along.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #8151
danjw1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
That is who is to blame and why they should be blamed. Comcast doesn't do proper training for their CSRs. They also contract out installs to companies that don't know what they heck they are doing when it comes to CableCards.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #8152
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjw1 View Post
My experience is that you should be fine, as long as you don't make any more changes to your account. Once they get it right, it stays right, at least until another change comes along.
I wish I could agree with you, but I can't. In my market, I got billing errors corrected a couple of different times and then a month or two later, the error would resurface.

I was told an auditing computer would flag my account and send it off to a rep to examine. The rep would rubber stamp the correction suggested by the computer. So then I was back with an incorrect bill.

YMMV
Tivo HD November 2007
Old 09-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #8153
hybucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
I wish I could agree with you, but I can't. In my market, I got billing errors corrected a couple of different times and then a month or two later, the error would resurface.

I was told an auditing computer would flag my account and send it off to a rep to examine. The rep would rubber stamp the correction suggested by the computer. So then I was back with an incorrect bill.

YMMV
What amazes me about Comcast and its CSRs and pricing is that the stories are so different from consumers and by market as well. You'd think, as someone said way at the beginning of this thread, that, by now, they'd have this cable card/HD thing all figured out by now, but it seems to vary so much depending on what CSR you talk to. And because, in most markets, Comcast is pretty much a monopoly, they've gotten away with it for years with no signs of it getting any better. Even contacts with their Customer Retention department are a joke, because they all know that there is no where else for the customer to turn. It is, in most cases, a losing fight. There - I've ranted and I feel better...kinda.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #8154
danjw1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybucket View Post
What amazes me about Comcast and its CSRs and pricing is that the stories are so different from consumers and by market as well. You'd think, as someone said way at the beginning of this thread, that, by now, they'd have this cable card/HD thing all figured out by now, but it seems to vary so much depending on what CSR you talk to. And because, in most markets, Comcast is pretty much a monopoly, they've gotten away with it for years with no signs of it getting any better. Even contacts with their Customer Retention department are a joke, because they all know that there is no where else for the customer to turn. It is, in most cases, a losing fight. There - I've ranted and I feel better...kinda.
One of the issues is that they have all different rules they must follow in different areas. I am certainly not apologizing for them, they need to train their staff better. But, they don't have boiler plate agreements they get with different municipalities to provide their services, they are all a little different. So, two people in two cities that are near each other, may well have different fees. That said if they had a better billing system, it wouldn't be as big a deal. The billing system should kick out any human errors. Just let it know the rules by address ranges. But, since the billing system seems to tend to give Comcast fees that they aren't supposed to get, I don't think they have any intention of upgrading it.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #8155
MC Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjw1

One of the issues is that they have all different rules they must follow in different areas. I am certainly not apologizing for them, they need to train their staff better. But, they don't have boiler plate agreements they get with different municipalities to provide their services, they are all a little different. So, two people in two cities that are near each other, may well have different fees. That said if they had a better billing system, it wouldn't be as big a deal. The billing system should kick out any human errors. Just let it know the rules by address ranges. But, since the billing system seems to tend to give Comcast fees that they aren't supposed to get, I don't think they have any intention of upgrading it.
Comcast actually uses two of the best billing systems available. It all boils down to CSR error or ineptitude and there's nothing you can do to fix that.
MC Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #8156
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Hammer View Post
Comcast actually uses two of the best billing systems available. It all boils down to CSR error or ineptitude and there's nothing you can do to fix that.
I have a friend who is a former Comcast emplyee. He was telling me that he was looking over a CSR's shoulder and noting that there are two different databases for billing and something else (don't remember what the second one was for, probably equipment and/or authorizations), and the fields don't always match. So there is no corresponding field in the other database. This must lead to some major errors when the CSR tries to fix things.
Tivo HD November 2007
Old 09-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #8157
MC Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver

I have a friend who is a former Comcast emplyee. He was telling me that he was looking over a CSR's shoulder and noting that there are two different databases for billing and something else (don't remember what the second one was for, probably equipment and/or authorizations), and the fields don't always match. So there is no corresponding field in the other database. This must lead to some major errors when the CSR tries to fix things.
Partially, correct. Each customer is only in one billing system based on regional market location. However, there is a secondary system that the customer is in (think of this one as an "equipment database") and, you're correct, they values from one system to the other don't always match up.
MC Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #8158
tmesser

Has anyone else noticed that Comcast's CableCARD FAQs still say that a tech is required for installation?

Quote:
Can I install the CableCARD into my TiVo Series 3 HD by myself?

To ensure that your installation is performed accurately, a technician is required to install and activate the CableCARDs. Please call 1-800-COMCAST (2662278) to set up an installation appointment.
Should I be complaining to the FCC about this?
- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #8159
a68oliver

I noticed that the Comcast How Much Will I Be Charged to Use a Cablecard FAQ has also been rewritten. It now says the charge for a 2nd card on the same outlet is $1.50.

I have always been charged $1.99 for my 2nd card in my S3 OLED. As of 9/1, I was still being charged $1.99 and not the new $1.50. Perhaps my October bill will have a new charge.

http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FA...&fss=cablecard
Tivo HD November 2007
Old 09-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #8160
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmesser View Post
Has anyone else noticed that Comcast's CableCARD FAQs still say that a tech is required for installation?

Should I be complaining to the FCC about this?
I noticed this too. I sent them feedback about it.

Want a laugh? Look at bullets 2 and 4 on this page.