TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #8071
Alvysyngr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat
Yes I believe if you just use 1.35GB of the 2TB it should work, but if I recall there's a caveat of "you can't supersize or it breaks" or something similar which I have to find when I try to put in the 1.5TB I have.
I just saw your reply. I bought a 1.5 and DID the supersize. It booted but only reports 36 hrs. This may be the problem! I'll try again and report back
Alvysyngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #8072
SnakeEyes

FYI... just restored a virgin TiVo HD image to my OEM drive using Parallels 6 on my Intel Mac Mini with the help of a Thermaltake Black Widow Dock. I'm going through Guided Setup now so apparently it can be done with Parallels.

Thanks Rich!

Quick questions for others since Rich is retiring, is mfsadd only for when restoring/upgrading to a larger drive and not for restoring to a same size OEM drive? Because I was never asked to do this after finishing restoring.

Also, I recall something about choosing clear and delete everything to avoid an error message after putting a drive in. Does this apply to me after reimaging an OEM drive? When would one see that error? I'm going through guided setup now, having never seen it. Do I need to go to that option in settings once I get to TiVo Central?
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #8073
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
FYI... just restored a virgin TiVo HD image to my OEM drive using Parallels 6 on my Intel Mac Mini with the help of a Thermaltake Black Widow Dock. I'm going through Guided Setup now so apparently it can be done with Parallels.

Thanks Rich!

Quick questions for others since Rich is retiring, is mfsadd only for when restoring/upgrading to a larger drive and not for restoring to a same size OEM drive? Because I was never asked to do this after finishing restoring.

Also, I recall something about choosing clear and delete everything to avoid an error message after putting a drive in. Does this apply to me after reimaging an OEM drive? When would one see that error? I'm going through guided setup now, having never seen it. Do I need to go to that option in settings once I get to TiVo Central?
Yes, MFS Add, is for adding capacity beyond that from which the original image was made.

As for the "hardware error", that is encoutered when/if the image is from another like Tivo(same model but different TSN). Example: If you purchased a Tivo identical to yours, and you switched hard drives between, the "hardware error" would be encountered, on both. Neither machine could play recording made on the other.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #8074
unitron

Quote:

Thanks Rich!

mfsadd adds MFS partitions (in pairs) if you have enough empty space at the end of the drive in which to put them.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #8075
SnakeEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Yes, MFS Add, is for adding capacity beyond that from which the original image was made.

As for the "hardware error", that is encoutered when/if the image is from another like Tivo(same model but different TSN). Example: If you purchased a Tivo identical to yours, and you switched hard drives between, the "hardware error" would be encountered, on both. Neither machine could play recording made on the other.
Well I never saw the error, restored from an image that someone else provided to me. Everything is working fine.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #8076
unitron

Quote:
Well I never saw the error, restored from an image that someone else provided to me. Everything is working fine.
Did they provide you with an image that was set to go straight into guided setup on first bootup?

Old 09-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #8077
SnakeEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Did they provide you with an image that was set to go straight into guided setup on first bootup?
It went straight to guided setup.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #8078
unitron

Quote:
It went straight to guided setup.
That's probably why it didn't throw you an error 51.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #8079
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Can I do the 1.35TB on the 1.5TB as my primary and then add the 1.0TB external for what should be right around the max of 2.2TB but a little over? I'd be using winMFS and I have an OEM S3 250GB tbk file.
Answering my own query with experience,
No, one can not add another external drive to a setup with a 1.35TB primary in an S3. I had plenty of time this weekend and just could not get it to work, I tried adding both a 1TB to the 1.35TB and then a 750GB, neither would marry the 1.35TB primary.

Solution: 1TB WDC green and a spare 750GB I had in the house for 1.75TB total with 278 hours of HD storage. ...and before anyone says it, I was too impatient to wait for my other 1TB to come back from Seagate.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:14 AM   #8080
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Answering my own query with experience,
No, one can not add another external drive to a setup with a 1.35TB primary in an S3. I had plenty of time this weekend and just could not get it to work, I tried adding both a 1TB to the 1.35TB and then a 750GB, neither would marry the 1.35TB primary.

Solution: 1TB WDC green and a spare 750GB I had in the house for 1.75TB total with 278 hours of HD storage. ...and before anyone says it, I was too impatient to wait for my other 1TB to come back from Seagate.
See, I told you you should have spent the weekend doing what I would have if I were still young enough!

When you say HD storage, do you mean you got the 1TB and the 750GB to work in a thermometer front S3, storing hi-def content, or that you set the S3 aside and put the drives in an S3 platform HD?

Either way, which is the boot drive? How many partitions do you have on which?

I assume the 1.35 primary was actually physically a 1.5 (or a 2?)?

Did you ever try it with a small primary and adding a 1.5 or a 2 as the second drive?

Old 09-11-2011, 12:46 AM   #8081
analog4

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog4 View Post
I have a TiVo HD and I replaced the internal drive 3 years ago with a Seagate ST31000340NS Barracuda ES.2 1TB - post here.

I work in computer storage, and that drive had a firmware update a long time ago (2+ years) that fixes a major issue. Before the TV season starts in a month I would like to update the firmware on the drive.

Is there any technical reason that the TiVo box itself would have a problem with me upgrading the firmware of the drive? I don't know if it has any sort of firmware checks to see if it's changed or not, or if it will care if it has been changed.
I am going to go ahead and update the hard drive in the next day or so.

The basic steps consisted of: Running WinMFS and selecting the drive and making the backup. I have no shows and nothing in my Deleted Items folder, so it should go pretty quick. Then I can update the hard drive firmware, and put it back into the TiVo. If I run into issues I can restore the backup to the drive by selecting the drive in WinMFS and restoring from the file? Last time I did it I went from the 160GB to a 1TB, so I assume I don't have to do anything with the SuperSize option.

I was planning on doing this using Windows 7, but WinMFS mentions nothing about Windows 7. Has anyone used WinMFS in Windows 7 with out issues or is it recommended to use Windows XP w/ SP2 (or ideally SP3)?
analog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:52 AM   #8082
SnakeEyes

I know in the past I've seen people mention the season pass manager on TiVo.com. Is there a way to restore these and your To Do list after doing a restore?

Last edited by SnakeEyes : 09-11-2011 at 04:27 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #8083
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
When you say HD storage, do you mean you got the 1TB and the 750GB to work in a thermometer front S3, storing hi-def content, or that you set the S3 aside and put the drives in an S3 platform HD?
Original S3, thermometer style as you call it
Quote:
Either way, which is the boot drive? How many partitions do you have on which?
didn't count them.
Quote:
I assume the 1.35 primary was actually physically a 1.5 (or a 2?)?
yes, 1.5TB at 1.35TB as primary
Quote:
Did you ever try it with a small primary and adding a 1.5 or a 2 as the second drive?
Everything that I saw suggested it wasn't worth my time, external needed to be 1TB or lower.
FWIW I'm having pangs about "only" having 750GB for my external and considering going out for another 1TB WDC Green this afternoon to have 2x 1TB since this machine will sit undisturbed for the next few years.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #8084
analog4

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog4 View Post
I am going to go ahead and update the hard drive in the next day or so.

The basic steps consisted of: Running WinMFS and selecting the drive and making the backup. I have no shows and nothing in my Deleted Items folder, so it should go pretty quick. Then I can update the hard drive firmware, and put it back into the TiVo. If I run into issues I can restore the backup to the drive by selecting the drive in WinMFS and restoring from the file? Last time I did it I went from the 160GB to a 1TB, so I assume I don't have to do anything with the SuperSize option.

I was planning on doing this using Windows 7, but WinMFS mentions nothing about Windows 7. Has anyone used WinMFS in Windows 7 with out issues or is it recommended to use Windows XP w/ SP2 (or ideally SP3)?
I went ahead and did an upgrade. I checked the S.M.A.R.T. attributes and I have a high "Reallocated Sector Count". It also had a high power on time, so I figured if I was going to replace, I better do it now. I grabbed an identical drive, and it had no errors with S.M.A.R.T and put the image from the 1TB I had just pulled out onto that instead, and it asked me if I wanted to use the "extra space" so I hit yes.

I put it back in and it's now giving me the "GSOD". I am going to keep letting it work - but oddly enough, I did this upgrade/swap to prevent an error from like this from happening.

After a short time (30 minutes) - the TiVo fixed itself. All seems to be working. Anything I should check? I'm still wondering what happened.

Should I keep letting the TiVo try to fix itself? I'm trying to figure out what happened.

Last edited by analog4 : 09-12-2011 at 12:42 AM.
analog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #8085
husky55

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Well, after six or seven years of answering thousands of questions and spending untold hours giving guidance to others on this and a good half-dozen other threads that AFAIK has been correct more often than not...hey, I'm ready to retire and you young bucks take over!

So step up and have fun all!
Hey Rich, remember me? You helped me !!!!

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #8086
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky55 View Post
Hey Rich, remember me? You helped me !!!!
Who here has he not helped at one time or another?

Even if it was someone who found something he posted years ago that turned out to be exactly the info they needed?

I'm not a very happy camper over his departure, and wish there had been a way to foresee it and head it off.

Maybe we should start a separate richsadams tribute thread.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #8087
brentil

Beware of Advance Format 4K Drives!

In looking at other drives to replace my dead TiVoHD drive with I've discovered all of the newer WD Green drives that have 64MB of cache are also Advance Format 4K drives too. The following list of new WD drives when used with a TiVo will result in non-optimal performance because the OS does not understand 4K sectors and the method we use to build partitions does not build 4K sector aligned partitions. The OP should probably be updated with this information. Below is the list of drives to avoid.

WD Drives
  • EARS (SATA II)
  • EARX (SATA III)
  • EZRX (SATA III)
  • EURS (SATA II)
  • EURX (SATA III)
  • EUCX (SATA III)

Hitachi Drives
  • CinemaStar 5K1000.B (SATA III)
  • CinemaStar 7K1000.D (SATA III)
  • Deskstar 5K1000.B (SATA III)
  • Deskstar 7K1000.D (SATA III)

Seagate Drives
  • ST1500DL003 (SATA III)
  • ST2000DL003 (SATA III)

Hothardware did benchmarks to show the negative impact of running an un-aligned Advance Format 4K drive and the results are rather nasty. The drives run up to 3x SLOWER when used on a non-4K supporting OS with unaligned sectors.

http://hothardware.com/Articles/WDs-...ention/?page=2

Seagate states their SmartAlign technology built into their drives compensates for a lack of OS support & drive alignment.

http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/whit...nology_faq.pdf

However this bjorn3d review shows that this is not the case as the SmartAlign seem incapable of keeping up in terms of performance specifically in the video creation test at the bottom of the page.

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1954&pageID=10153
brentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #8088
husky55

This is very interesting and important data. I just bought a WD20EARS and used it to upgrade a Premiere. Have not seen any impact on the slower speed due to the 4k sectors.

The Seagate ST2000DL003 did not boot in Tivo Premiere.

The Hitachi Green 5900 is working in my Premiere.

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI

Last edited by husky55 : 09-12-2011 at 05:05 PM.
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #8089
lpwcomp

Nothing in the report on the WD drives indicates that they will not perform adequately in a TiVo. The WD10EARS I have in my THD is working just fine.

Based on other posts in this forum, the WD20EARS may have QC problems, but that is a different issue.

In an analogy, most cars on the street are adequate for their intended purpose. Wouldn't wanna run one at Daytona though.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #8090
brentil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Nothing in the report on the WD drives indicates that they will not perform adequately in a TiVo. The WD10EARS I have in my THD is working just fine.

Based on other posts in this forum, the WD20EARS may have QC problems, but that is a different issue.

In an analogy, most cars on the street are adequate for their intended purpose. Wouldn't wanna run one at Daytona though.
Nothing states they wont work, they just wont work optimally. Which means not just speed performance but then noise, power, and heat wise. Because e512 emulation requires a Read-Modify-Write this means you have to move the head more often and you do less work per unit of time. It may also not be an issue performance wise right now with dual tuners but I could see this greatly impacting Quad tuner TiVo devices.

This is important information to consider when buying a drive and shouldn't just be pushed aside because everything "seems" to be ok now. Anyone looking to buy a new drive should avoid these drives if they want to optimize performance, heat, power, and noise.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #8091
brentil

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky55 View Post
This is very interesting and important data. I just bought a WD20EARS and used it to upgrade a Premiere. Have not seen any impact on the slower speed due to the 4k sectors.

The Seagate ST2000DL003 did not boot in Tivo Premiere.

The Hitachi Green 5900 is working in my Premiere.
These newer drives perform on a level above what comes in a stock TiVo so there's a good chance you'll never have an issue performance wise with typical daily load. If you're watching a show, recording 2 others, downloading a show, running TiVo2Go, and MRS then yeah you could have a drop. It'll just be good to keep in mind for the next set of drives you get.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #8092
lpwcomp

While it is an additional datum to be taken into consideration, saying flat out that these drives should be avoided goes well beyond that.

This report is from February 2010. I would think that actual experience of TiVo users would be more relevant.

And I agree that it may be more of an issue with the Elite.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #8093
brentil

I know this is the S3 section but I wrote this with the S4 in mind as well too. It's been thrown around that the S4 in the future might support streaming without having to have the new Elite device to the TiVo Preview type devices. If that's true then the device needs to handle 2 HD streams being written, 1 download being written, 1 local HD stream being read, and up to 3 HD streams being read to Preview devices. From the benchmarks of un-aligned drives on unsupported OS's the impact can be extremely significant which could result in in these types of devices being incapable of proper functionality.

So yeah I should amend it to be S3 users take this information into consideration and S4 owners should highly consider avoiding Advanced Format drives.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #8094
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
I know this is the S3 section but I wrote this with the S4 in mind as well too. It's been thrown around that the S4 in the future might support streaming without having to have the new Elite device to the TiVo Preview type devices. If that's true then the device needs to handle 2 HD streams being written, 1 download being written, 1 local HD stream being read, and up to 3 HD streams being read to Preview devices. From the benchmarks of un-aligned drives on unsupported OS's the impact can be extremely significant which could result in in these types of devices being incapable of proper functionality.

So yeah I should amend it to be S3 users take this information into consideration and S4 owners should highly consider avoiding Advanced Format drives.
This is in the S3 forum, but this particular thread morphed into the "which drive for which TiVo under which circumstances" thread quite some time back.

Although I do wish it had been started in the upgrade forum, where the adapter thread is, and stickified there, to begin with.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #8095
rickydee

Return the Original Drive to S3 - how to downgrade?

I have a S3 that I upgraded a long time ago that I now have to return to Tivo - problem is the I used the original 250GB drive for something else and now have a 750GB internal.

Can anyone point me to how to return the S3 back to using the 250GB drive? Is it possible to delete all the recordings and then simply copy the contents of the 750GB drive to the 250GB drive? Are the any parameters that I need to be aware of?

Any help would be greatly appreciated since upgrading posts seem plentiful but its harder to find a sticky on how to revert back to original drives. At this point, I wonder if Tivo would even balk at the returned unit if I left the 750GB version in the S3, but my preference is to return it with the stock drive.
rickydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #8096
brentil

You could use InstantCake or beg someone for an image I bet.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #8097
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydee View Post
I have a S3 that I upgraded a long time ago that I now have to return to Tivo - problem is the I used the original 250GB drive for something else and now have a 750GB internal.
Why do you have to return it to TiVo?

Old 09-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #8098
brentil

I've opted to go with the WD WD10EVDS and I'll go in an disable the IntelliPark to prevent soft reboot issues. This seems to be one of the best feature wise DVR specific drives still available for a decent price without Advanced Format.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #8099
Replacement

Question

Ok, I need to replace my power supply in my S3 and I was thinking that it may be time to upgrade the HD to something that has more space. I was thinking either a 500gb or 750 gb internal HD, but I don't know what ones or how much $ I would be looking at. I did some searching here, and started reading the 1st post in this thread and it looks like it hasn't been updated in over a year and the rest of this is 200+ pages so I was hoping that someone with experience can fill me in or point me in the right direction here.

Thanks,
Eric
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:21 PM   #8100
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Ok, I need to replace my power supply in my S3 and I was thinking that it may be time to upgrade the HD to something that has more space. I was thinking either a 500gb or 750 gb internal HD, but I don't know what ones or how much $ I would be looking at. I did some searching here, and started reading the 1st post in this thread and it looks like it hasn't been updated in over a year and the rest of this is 200+ pages so I was hoping that someone with experience can fill me in or point me in the right direction here.

Thanks,
Eric
I would suggest going with a 1 Tb drive, as they are cheaper then the smaller capacity drives. You would be getting about 150 hours of digital/HD recording. For the brand, Western Digital is is good. The drive would need to be SATA.

A good online site is amazon.com. They cost under $60.

You would also need to hook the drives up to a PC and copy the drive from the Tivo to the new drive. You cannot let Windows format the drives as they are not readable. Mfslive.org is the site to obtain the proper program. I would suggest WinMFS as its the easiest to use, the other MFS programs require you to make a bootable CD to boot from, with your PC drive disconnected, you would also need to type linux commands.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 09-14-2011 at 05:29 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote