Old 09-30-2010, 06:47 AM   #452
dksjfsdfds

Thank you (very much) for your time!!
dksjfsdfds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:36 AM   #453
noithatkientruc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Thanks... actually, everything works perfectly unless the router is literally within 1 foot of the cordless phone, while I'm on it... then, music will stop streaming. Of course, since it's recommended to keep the router AWAY from the phone base station, this should normally be a problem!

I have a Netgear 814 router with MA 111 wireless adapter, and a Panasonic 2.4 GHz phone (new model).

I'm thrilled with the wireless connection to my TiVo... wish I had done this ages ago!

Thanks!

-Ian
Thanks.....................^^

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
noithatkientruc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #454
Brokerricky
Brokerricky

I do not have a phone(except for my cell) and no Internet connection(except through my cell phone with PDA Net) and I need to finish setting up my Toshiba SDH-400 server. Can someone help?? Explain how I can either use my cell phone for Tivo to make the call or use my cell as a network.
Brokerricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:24 AM   #455
classicsat
Astute User

Assuming PDAnet makes an access point, just use a wireless adapter, preferably the TiVo branded one.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #456
camera2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarter View Post
The link above doesn't work for me when I click on it. Just get 404'd.
The same to me.
camera2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #457
dan0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoStephen View Post
Hi,

If you are trying to get your TiVo, Sony, Toshiba or Pioneer Series2 DVR to work with a Linksys wireless adapter, please read this thread:

tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150363

Thanks,
Stephen

[edited to fix bad link -- sorry about that, bad cut and paste job]
went to that thread, it's last post was 2007
this thread's last post was over a year ago
I take it the only list of wireless adapters is the official tivo list
there is no list of user tried and tested adapters?
thanks

dan0
dan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #458
classicsat
Astute User

Correct. TiVo gave up on trying to use PC wireless adapters because it was both hard for them to get the info they need to write MIPS coded drivers, and for their customers to tell the difference between adapters they did support and ones they didn't. So TiVo made their own adapter they knew all about, and the TiVo user community went along with it, because it works so well. Any USB wireless adapter you can buy today, apart from the TiVo adapter, is guaranteed to not work with TiVo. The only "generic" adapters that work are WiFi to Ethernet bridges, on TiVos with Ethernet or a USB Ethernet adapter.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #459
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
Correct. TiVo gave up on trying to use PC wireless adapters because it was both hard for them to get the info they need to write MIPS coded drivers, and for their customers to tell the difference between adapters they did support and ones they didn't. So TiVo made their own adapter they knew all about, and the TiVo user community went along with it, because it works so well. Any USB wireless adapter you can buy today, apart from the TiVo adapter, is guaranteed to not work with TiVo. The only "generic" adapters that work are WiFi to Ethernet bridges, on TiVos with Ethernet or a USB Ethernet adapter.
Another benefit to TiVo making their own adapter is that they intentionally didn't do it "winmodem" style, but built in extra brains to the adapter itself so that the TiVo had to provide it with electrical power, but not with processing power.

They should have written drivers for it that let them sell it for use with PCs.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #460
dan0

thanks for the info and clarifications
dan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #461
marcusslade

Series 2 with NETGEAR WNDR3400v2 router

My series 2 Humax TiVo has been running fine with my old NETGEAR router and NETGEAR WG111 wireless adapter for years. However my old router died and I replaced it with a NETGEAR WNDR3400v2 router that uses WPA or WPA2 security and I can no longer connect to the TiVo service. I am pretty sure I need to get a new TiVo wireless G adapter, but before I purchase one I just want to be sure it will be compatible with my router security. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance,

Marcus
marcusslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #462
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusslade View Post
My series 2 Humax TiVo has been running fine with my old NETGEAR router and NETGEAR WG111 wireless adapter for years. However my old router died and I replaced it with a NETGEAR WNDR3400v2 router that uses WPA or WPA2 security and I can no longer connect to the TiVo service. I am pretty sure I need to get a new TiVo wireless G adapter, but before I purchase one I just want to be sure it will be compatible with my router security. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance,

Marcus
Doesn't the new router allow you to choose different levels of security or even none at all?

Old 12-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #463
marcusslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Doesn't the new router allow you to choose different levels of security or even none at all?
The new router allows WPA, WPA2 or none. I assume I need some sort of security, if i choose none wont my wireless signal be open to all?

The TiVo lets me choose between WEP or WPA but if I choose WPA it says my wireless adapter is not up to it.

I dont mind purchasing the new adapter, I just want to be pretty sure it will work before I pay the cash for it.

Thanks,

Marcus
marcusslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #464
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusslade View Post
The new router allows WPA, WPA2 or none. I assume I need some sort of security, if i choose none wont my wireless signal be open to all?

The TiVo lets me choose between WEP or WPA but if I choose WPA it says my wireless adapter is not up to it.

I dont mind purchasing the new adapter, I just want to be pretty sure it will work before I pay the cash for it.

Thanks,

Marcus
According to TiVo

Quote:
TiVo boxes require a compatible wireless adapter to connect to a wireless network. The TiVo Wireless G adapter is recommended because it can be used on networks that have WEP security, or WPA security, WPA-2 (Personal) security.
You may be able to find one on Craigslist for $30 or less.

As I said, I like it enough that I wish they wrote PC drivers for it.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:00 AM   #465
titus23

Thanks for the effort. Really helps...
titus23 is offline   Reply With Quote