TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #151
Gromit

Although it's for Ubuntu, I used this guide to help with my Sick Beard config (OS X). It helps with some of those more confusing configuration options.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:06 AM   #152
cditty

I see that I need to setup post-processing, but following the directions on SickBeards site, only made it more confusing. I now see post-processing dropdown boxes, but I have to manually configure it for each download. I can't get it to be a all or none option.

Hopefully all my stupid mistakes will be good for someone else.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #153
cditty

Looks like I might have it now. I think I went in and tried to do the post-processing setup under categories before I set it up in the folders section.

So far, 2/2 tests look like they are working correctly.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #154
TiVoJedi

The most aggravating part of USENET is when A-holes post password-protected RAR archives within a RAR file that also contains a shortcut URL to some malware-infested lure website one 'has' to visit to get the password to unRAR the show downloaded. More frustratingly is that if you play along, you still don't get the password.. just signed up for a bunch of crap you don't need anyway. Sometimes binsearch.info will label these types of posts as 'password needed', but oftentimes not. Nothing gets my goat more than spending 25 minutes maxed on my 'premium' (highest level available in my area) $64/month Time-Warner 'turbo' 10mbit connection for a ~1GB file and then can't open the stinking thing because some jerkwad posted it in a password-protected RAR file.

Does that Sickbeard program automatically exclude password-protected posts from its download consideration? I hate wasting bandwidth, even though TW isn't metering it in my area, as they have been testing in others.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #155
innocentfreak

For the most part yes since it is pulling from indexing sites where people tend not to reference the password protected ones. Also if you get to learn the poster names on binsearch you can generally avoid the password ones also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #156
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJedi View Post
The most aggravating part of USENET is when A-holes post password-protected RAR archives within a RAR file that also contains a shortcut URL to some malware-infested lure website one 'has' to visit to get the password to unRAR the show downloaded.

Does that Sickbeard program automatically exclude password-protected posts from its download consideration? I hate wasting bandwidth, even though TW isn't metering it in my area, as they have been testing in others.
To minimize your chance of coming across these types of files is to use good usenet indexing sites. One where users and mods give feedback and these types of files are removed by editors.

Usenet search engines are very powerful but you get the bad with the good in the search results. You have to be more careful using them.

Sickbeard generally uses usenet indexing sites that do their best to remove pass worded stuff. I've never had a problem with password stuff via Sickbeard. No problem using NZBMartix or any of the other indexing sites below.

Some good usenet sites are:

http://nzbmatrix.com/

http://filesharingtalk.com/content/?

http://www.nzbsrus.com/nzbbrowse.php

http://www.nzb.su/
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #157
2004raptor

For some reason I am getting dreadfully slow speeds today. I have only downloaded a few things but normally I am getting 1.5MB/s average. Today I was dropping out to 186k.

Not sure if comcast is having issues. Anything I can do to see where the issue is? I never did open any ports on my router, would that help?
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #158
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
For some reason I am getting dreadfully slow speeds today. I have only downloaded a few things but normally I am getting 1.5MB/s average. Today I was dropping out to 186k.

Not sure if comcast is having issues. Anything I can do to see where the issue is? I never did open any ports on my router, would that help?
What usenet provider are you using? It could just be a temporary issue with your usenet provider. In other words, try again later.

You can try switching servers. Your provider most likely offers more then one server. Usually a server in Europe and the U.S.A. If your using the U.S. one try the European server. Also you can try switching ports. Your provider most likely offers different ports to use, try using another one.

Opening ports in your router won't have any affect. That only works for torrents.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #159
2004raptor

Thanks. changing ports seems to have helped a bit. Still kinda early to tell. Hopefully it will be stable.

Blocknews is who I went with.

I also did a speedtest on my comcast line and it was ~8MB/s so I don't think it's on their end.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:14 PM   #160
vertigo235

I use http://www.nzbs.org/

vertigo235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #161
markz
Hilarity Ensues

I signed up with Newsdemon.com on Black Friday for $9.99/month for life.

I use the SABMonitor extension for Chrome.

I search for NZBs at www.nzbclub.com

The cool part is I can drop an NZB file in the NZB sub-folder of Dropbox on my work PC, it gets replicated via Dropbox to the NZB folder on my home PC, SABMonitor watches that folder and then downloads the file on my home PC, and it is ready for me when I get home. The NZB file is then deleted by SABMonitor. I could even log into Dropbox on any PC and upload an NZB file to my account and kick the whole process off automatically!

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #162
DUDE_NJX

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
I signed up with Newsdemon.com on Black Friday for $9.99/month for life.

I use the SABMonitor extension for Chrome.

I search for NZBs at www.nzbclub.com

The cool part is I can drop an NZB file in the NZB sub-folder of Dropbox on my work PC, it gets replicated via Dropbox to the NZB folder on my home PC, SABMonitor watches that folder and then downloads the file on my home PC, and it is ready for me when I get home. The NZB file is then deleted by SABMonitor. I could even log into Dropbox on any PC and upload an NZB file to my account and kick the whole process off automatically!
Sickbeard makes this even more automated.
DUDE_NJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #163
vertigo235

Sickbeard is just plain sick.

vertigo235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:57 AM   #164
brettatk
If I Only Knew

I have everything pretty much automated using SABnzbd but have wanted to look at Sickbeard. Sickbeard isn't a replacement, I'd use it along with SABnzbd, correct? So instead of using RSS Feeds within SABnzbd, I'd let Sickbeard download all my nzb files and SABnzbd would download the actual files. Just wanted to make sure I was understanding it correctly before I screwed something up. Perfect time to play around with it right now before most shows return in a few weeks.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:09 AM   #165
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk
I have everything pretty much automated using SABnzbd but have wanted to look at Sickbeard. Sickbeard isn't a replacement, I'd use it along with SABnzbd, correct? So instead of using RSS Feeds within SABnzbd, I'd let Sickbeard download all my nzb files and SABnzbd would download the actual files. Just wanted to make sure I was understanding it correctly before I screwed something up. Perfect time to play around with it right now before most shows return in a few weeks.
That's pretty much right. Look up "SABtosickbeard" and you'll discover ways to further automate and post-process. The two programs complement each other incredibly well. Sickbeard basically gives you season passes for your nzb files. SABnzb is used for the actual downloading. Or, at least I think that's how it works.
| Twitter:

Last edited by danterner : 09-15-2011 at 06:46 AM.
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:38 AM   #166
2004raptor

So, sickbeard is primarily used for tv shows?
Old 09-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #167
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
That's pretty much right. Look up "SABtosickbeard" and you'll discover ways to further automate and post-process. The two programs complement each other incredibly well. Sickbeard basically gives you season passes for your nzb files. SABnzb is used for the actual downloading. Or, at least I think that's how it works. I've got it set up right, but hopefully I never need to replicate it on a new system because I'm not really sure I understand it enough to do it again.
Thanks. I've got it setup and will test it tonight with one show. I'm going to let SABnzbd continue to do all the post processing as it does everything I need it to. I was mainly interested in the interface of Sickbeard.

How does Sickbeard handle duplicate nzb files? Say if it finds 2 nzb files for a particular show. Will it download both of them? From time to time with SABnzbd i'll have duplicates download and I have to go in and edit the RSS feed so next time it will not happen.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #168
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post

How does Sickbeard handle duplicate nzb files? Say if it finds 2 nzb files for a particular show. Will it download both of them? From time to time with SABnzbd i'll have duplicates download and I have to go in and edit the RSS feed so next time it will not happen.
Sickbeard is smart enough to not download duplicates. There is a Sickbeard option to re-down an episode if a "Proper" release is posted later. For example, if there was something wrong with the original episode, usually the release groups will post a fixed copy. Sickbeard will download the "proper" and replace the original version. This is an optional feature that needs to be enabled in Sickbeard.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #169
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
Sickbeard is smart enough to not download duplicates. There is a Sickbeard option to re-down an episode if a "Proper" release is posted later. For example, if there was something wrong with the original episode, usually the release groups will post a fixed copy. Sickbeard will download the "proper" and replace the original version. This is an optional feature that needs to be enabled in Sickbeard.
Nice. I saw that option and figured that duplicates must not be a problem. It doesn't happen a lot with SABnzbd, but it does happen. I wouldn't care if AT&T didn't cap my bandwidth. The interface is as good as advertised. I love how easy it is to set up a TV show. I went ahead and set up everything I had in SABnzbd. I'm debating whether or not to enable the option listed above. I'll probably leave it unchecked and if something is wrong with the original I'll manually go in and download the fixed one.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #170
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
So, sickbeard is primarily used for tv shows?
From my limited use so far, yes.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #171
2004raptor

Quote:
From my limited use so far, yes.
thanks.

I haven't tried sickbeard yet but I guess everything I watch is caught on my comcast DVR or my series 2 tivo.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #172
Malcontent

Quote:
thanks.

I haven't tried sickbeard yet but I guess everything I watch is caught on my comcast DVR or my series 2 tivo.
You might consider having Sickbeard download the shows that your series 2 records so that you can get the HD captures of each episode.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #173
DUDE_NJX

No commercials to FF through!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #174
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Sickbeard worked flawlessly last night. Makes me wonder why I haven't tried it before now. I guess I was confused thinking it was a replacement and not an addition to SABnzbd. I love being able to see exactly when shows will be recorded and whether I missed a show for some reason. Very happy with the way these two programs work together.

Last edited by brettatk : 09-08-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:17 AM   #175
2004raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
You might consider having Sickbeard download the shows that your series 2 records so that you can get the HD captures of each episode.
I may try this. So, it will download a show automatically as soon as it shows up anywhere on newsgroups or only certain groups?

After it's downloaded can it (or another program) transfer the finished file through my network to another device?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:39 AM   #176
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
I may try this. So, it will download a show automatically as soon as it shows up anywhere on newsgroups or only certain groups?

After it's downloaded can it (or another program) transfer the finished file through my network to another device?
You can set for each show what version you want (SD or HD) so depending on that it will download as soon as that version shows up on whatever search provider(s) you have set in the configuration.

With my configuration, as soon as a show is downloaded to my computer, it is automatically transferred to my Tivo HD. In order to do this I utilize "pytivo-auto-push". If you are talking about to another device other than a Tivo then I'm afraid I can't help you but perhaps someone else can.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #177
danterner
Not it!

I have the files post-processed (by Sickbeard) so that they are renamed to a format recognizable by my Boxee Box, and then transferred into a directory on my PC that my Boxee wirelessly reads from. In this way, the finished files are transferred through my network to another device. Not sure if that's quite what you mean, though.
| Twitter:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #178
harrinpj

Quote:
With my configuration, as soon as a show is downloaded to my computer, it is automatically transferred to my Tivo HD. In order to do this I utilize "pytivo-auto-push". If you are talking about to another device other than a Tivo then I'm afraid I can't help you but perhaps someone else can.
I built a whole separate computer to play my downloaded files mainly because I couldn't for the life of me get MKV files to play correctly on the TiVo. Did you have to do any tricks to make this work?

I also couldn't stand the lack of folders and metadata with each of the pushed files. I haven't used pytivo in a while so maybe this is fixed by now.
harrinpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #179
DUDE_NJX

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrinpj View Post
I built a whole separate computer to play my downloaded files mainly because I couldn't for the life of me get MKV files to play correctly on the TiVo. Did you have to do any tricks to make this work?

I also couldn't stand the lack of folders and metadata with each of the pushed files. I haven't used pytivo in a while so maybe this is fixed by now.
Yeah, Get a PS3
Old 09-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #180
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrinpj View Post

I've never had any issues with the MKV files that are pushed to my Tivo HD. Lack of Metadata doesn't really bother me but I also hated having all these files in the Now Playing folder on my Tivo. So I turned to "pyTivo_push_grouping" to solve this problem. Now all my downloaded episodes of Haven go into a Haven folder and so on. I know some people address meta data with "pyTivoMetaThis". I haven't really ever felt the need for it though.

Last edited by brettatk : 09-08-2011 at 10:27 AM.