TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #61
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccles View Post
Glad I found this thread. I too am experiencing the guide data warning problem on my TiVo HD with an mCard and a Cisco TA. Restarting the TiVo gets rid of the warning for a while, but it returns after another couple of weeks or so. And eventually, after doing this little dance a dozen or so times, I get an S03 error.

This has happened three times now - the first time I wound up re-imaging my drive, but the last couple of times I've "got away" with doing a Clear and Delete All. Still a major PITA.

Right now, I've just restarted it for probably the third time after the latest S03. I hadn't noticed the GC date, but now that I look at it, it's showing July 24. The theory that GC is getting overwhelmed by the amount of work might also explain why this tends (correct me if I'm wrong) to affect folks with larger drives to a greater extent. I had over 60 items in my Recently Deleted folder, which I cleared before restarting this time after reading this thread.

I'll keep a close eye on the GC date - although manually cleaning up the deletions is a hassle, it's nowhere near the pain of having to recreate my SP's and WL's and explain to the wife that her archive of cooking shows has been lost (again).
Wow. Very troublesome to me that you continue to have S03 problems even after clearing and deleting everything. In my experience, that didn't happen.........yet.

I have quite a few items in my deleted folder, but I'm still updating O.K. Time will tell........

Everything seems to point to a tuning adapter problem. If you continue to have problems, try playing with it.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #62
tootal2

I think you have to keep your tivo unpluged from the internet when you get a so3 error so it can work thur the backlog of info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
Wow. Very troublesome to me that you continue to have S03 problems even after clearing and deleting everything. In my experience, that didn't happen.........yet.

I have quite a few items in my deleted folder, but I'm still updating O.K. Time will tell........

Everything seems to point to a tuning adapter problem. If you continue to have problems, try playing with it.

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:57 PM   #63
tootal2

Keep your tivo unpluged from the internet for a week so it can work thru all the info it has downloaded. Thats what tivo says to do.

Quote:
Glad I found this thread. I too am experiencing the guide data warning problem on my TiVo HD with an mCard and a Cisco TA. Restarting the TiVo gets rid of the warning for a while, but it returns after another couple of weeks or so. And eventually, after doing this little dance a dozen or so times, I get an S03 error.

This has happened three times now - the first time I wound up re-imaging my drive, but the last couple of times I've "got away" with doing a Clear and Delete All. Still a major PITA.

Right now, I've just restarted it for probably the third time after the latest S03. I hadn't noticed the GC date, but now that I look at it, it's showing July 24. The theory that GC is getting overwhelmed by the amount of work might also explain why this tends (correct me if I'm wrong) to affect folks with larger drives to a greater extent. I had over 60 items in my Recently Deleted folder, which I cleared before restarting this time after reading this thread.

I'll keep a close eye on the GC date - although manually cleaning up the deletions is a hassle, it's nowhere near the pain of having to recreate my SP's and WL's and explain to the wife that her archive of cooking shows has been lost (again).

Old 08-25-2011, 08:03 AM   #64
baijumehta

I just initiated this process. Hopefully this will resolve the losing connection to Tivo issue. One thing I noticed is that all my Tivo Suggestions were from prior to July 2nd, which is when my GC said it was last updated.

I guess i will find out in a day or two.

Thanks for the help

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
I had this issue after I upgraded to 2 TB on my HD. Turns out the GC wasn't updating. I guess GC stands for Garbage Collection or something like that. You can check for GC in the System Information screen, down close to the bottom of the last page. The date should be within a day or 2 of today if it is working.

To fix it, I had to do a delete of everything but my recordings. Don't remember the wording, but it is the one that is just short of Clear and Delete Everything, which will get rid of your recordings. It deletes your program guide and season passes. Strangely, it did not delete all of my passes, but now the recordings done before are orphaned in their own folder. So for recurring recordings, I now have 2 identical folders - one for recordings before and one for recordings after the deleting.

At any rate, things are now working and back to normal, and GC is updating by itself.

baijumehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #65
Teeps

As of yesterday my TiVo S3 wsaupgraded with a 2TB internal drive from dvr_dude.
TiVo Series 3 TCD648250B Hard Drive Upgrade 2TB WD AVGP

The dance starts over.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #66
tootal2

why did you get a new drive? were you unable to fix the s03 error? Deleteing my todo list and season passes seems to have fixed the problem with the GC file. the date has been changing on the gc file by itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
As of yesterday my TiVo S3 wsaupgraded with a 2TB internal drive from dvr_dude.
TiVo Series 3 TCD648250B Hard Drive Upgrade 2TB WD AVGP

The dance starts over.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #67
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
why did you get a new drive?

I wanted more storage.
NOTE: This problem was occurring before the HDD upgrade.
In another thread (here S3 forum) I learned a 2TB internal drive is possible... So I stepped up $179 delivered to my door. Open up TiVo install preconditioned drive, guided setup, authorize cable card & "the cussed tuning adapter" viola 318 hours of HD storage.
And.......
One less wall wart, one less drive, 2 fewer connections.

The So3 error was corrected by the delete "to do" and "season pass" at the time the old drives were pulled.

Last edited by Teeps : 10-02-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:28 AM   #68
pjoner

I have the same setup (TiVo hd, cisco ta and m card) and it is sad that it has come to the point where a TiVo needs to be rebooted on a weekly basis. In addition TiVo seems to be making no effort to resolve.
pjoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #69
tootal2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoner View Post
I have the same setup (TiVo hd, cisco ta and m card) and it is sad that it has come to the point where a TiVo needs to be rebooted on a weekly basis. In addition TiVo seems to be making no effort to resolve.
Call tivo and complane about it. they say they dont get enough complants to fix it.

You can delete all your season passes and todo list to fix it. seems to have worked for me for now
Old 09-02-2011, 07:46 AM   #70
Teeps

Well..... here we go again.
As of this morning GC is still reading Sunday 28Aug2011. TiVo is successfully to connecting to the server daily; it appears to be loading guide data.
I repeated the channel fix per instructions from TiVo support (see pg.2 this thread) this morning.
I'll know more later today.

tootal2,
Potential hard drive failure does not seem to be the problem.

This whole fiasco is really starting to stink.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #71
tootal2

deleteing season passes and todo list did not fix the problem

my tivo says program info will run outon fri 9/9!

The GC: date is saturday august 27

Is there anything else i can try to fix this problem?
Old 09-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #72
Teeps

Quote:
my tivo says program info will run outon fri 9/9!

The GC: date is saturday august 27

Is there anything else i can try to fix this problem?
Did you try the channel fix?

*INSTRUCTIONS:
go to messages & settings>
settings>
channels>
channel list>
press enter button?

Have 30 to 45 minutes for this procedure, up front, as you have to answer some questions. Once TiVo connects to the server. Turn the tv off and walk away for a couple of hours..
Old 09-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #73
Eccles
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Did you try the channel fix?

*INSTRUCTIONS:
go to messages & settings>
settings>
channels>
channel list>
press enter button?

Have 30 to 45 minutes for this procedure, up front, as you have to answer some questions. Once TiVo connects to the server. Turn the tv off and walk away for a couple of hours..
Yes!

My GC date was stuck firmly on July 24th, but after going through the "change channel line-up" procedure it's updated to today. It only took me about 5 minutes to go through the "twenty questions", as I simply pressed Select to take all the default answers, which retained not only my current line-up but also my premium channels, favorites, and deselected channels. It then sat at "Preparing..." for about an hour before connecting to get the "new" line-up info. The new GC timestamp corresponds to that period, so it appears that this procedure forces a manual Garbage Collection. Great to know.

That's about as painless as it gets - thank you! Hopefully it'll keep up now, as long as I keep my Recently Deleted clear.
150-hour Premiere XL (Lifetime)
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #74
Teeps

Will it hold and the GC continue to update daily or bi-daily?

That is the question....

I guess we'll know in a week or so.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #75
tootal2

did that work teeps? does it run the guied setup? does it reboot? I might try it this weekend

Quote:
Will it hold and the GC continue to update daily or bi-daily?

That is the question....

I guess we'll know in a week or so.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #76
tootal2

My tivo seems to have fixed itself. the gc date is now 9-3
Old 09-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #77
Teeps

Quote:
did that work teeps? does it run the guied setup? does it reboot? I might try it this weekend
Just did the channel repair yesterday morning.
I'll know more in a week.

The channel repair seems similar to guided setup but....

TiVo does not reboot.

It does sit on the connecting screen until it's finished downloading the data.
That is; you can't do nuth'n else whilst TiVo is processing.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #78
Eccles
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps
The channel repair seems similar to guided setup but....

TiVo does not reboot.
It also doesn't lose your favorites, premiums, or deselected channels like Guided Setup does.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:31 PM   #79
Eccles
Mostly harmless

Update: Almost a week after successfully doing the "change channel lineup" trick, and despite clearing out my Recently Deleted every night, my GC timestamp was stuck at the time I changed the lineup. Yesterday evening, I unplugged and replugged my TA, and today my GC timestamp has updated to around 9am this morning. Coincidence or not, I don't know, but I'll be unplugging my TA every few days from now on.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #80
VinceA

After resetting the TA, give it a day or two and see if the GC gets advanced. If it does, leave the TA alone and see if it keeps updating. I can usually get things rolling correctly after a few TA resets.

Have you reported this problem to TiVo via their online system? I have and I'd love to see more reports get filed so TiVo might realize this is actually a problem:
http://support.tivo.com/app/ask

The reference number for my open case is 110821-002616
VinceA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #81
Eccles
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceA View Post
After resetting the TA, give it a day or two and see if the GC gets advanced. If it does, leave the TA alone and see if it keeps updating. I can usually get things rolling correctly after a few TA resets.

Have you reported this problem to TiVo via their online system? I have and I'd love to see more reports get filed so TiVo might realize this is actually a problem:
http://support.tivo.com/app/ask

The reference number for my open case is 110821-002616
I'll keep an eye on it, but in the meantime I just added my voice to the crowd: case# 110908-009792
Old 09-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #82
Teeps

Just checked mine and the GC is still on Sept 2.

Additionally since then the TA has been powered down (cord pulled) and usb disconnected/reconnected. (swapped shorter cables.) GC still stuck...

I'm going to try resetting the line up again.
I had 2 choices for time warner, so I am selecting the other option and see what happens.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #83
tootal2

Mine gc was stuck on tuesday. so i unpluged my tivo from the internet and i permanently deleted everything in my recently deleted folder and now my gc is saturday 9-10-11

Quote:
Just checked mine and the GC is still on Sept 2.

Additionally since then the TA has been powered down (cord pulled) and usb disconnected/reconnected. (swapped shorter cables.) GC still stuck...

I'm going to try resetting the line up again.
I had 2 choices for time warner, so I am selecting the other option and see what happens.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #84
VinceA

You should file a report about it. I really want to see TiVo acknowledge this issue since it's obviously not a one-off.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #85
Teeps

Quote:
You should file a report about it. I really want to see TiVo acknowledge this issue since it's obviously not a one-off.
Yes, I did file a report.

Below is the response I received yesterday by email.
The text in red I find most interesting. Especially since I do have a cussed tuning adapter connected and it is working, which logically leads me to believe this is a TiVo problem...

Has anyone else with this problem been told the same about the tuning adapter?

In your email you noted a strong correlation between the installation of a Digital Tuning Adapter from Time Warner and the issues obtaining guide information. Our systems show that your unit has been successfully connecting to the TiVo service. Program guide information is downloaded to the the TiVo through the course of these connections.

However our systems do not indicate that your unit has been hooked up with a Digital Tuning Adapter. I am also showing that your unit is currently on Time Warner Cable, Torrance primary lineup. If the unit thinks its on a primary (basic) lineup then it would not recognize the need for a tuning adapter. The "unnecessary" equipment could potentially interrupt the units protocols when attempting to pull guide information.

My suggestion would to eject your cable cards, (temporally) and repeat the entire Guided Setup on your TiVo. You can access the Guided Setup by going to TiVo Central > Messages & Settings > Help > Restart or Reset System > Repeat Guided Setup. Once the Guided Setup is started reinsert your cable cards. The unit should recognized that cable cards are installed and ask you questions to determine your lineup. Once you have completed the Guided Setup and are on the correct lineup, the system should recognize the tuning adapter. You can check for the tuning adapter by going to Messages & Settings > Account and System Information > Tuning Adapter. Once everything is corrected within the system, I expect that the issues you have had with obtaining guide information should be resolved.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #86
Eccles
Mostly harmless

The reply I got today was a little more hopeful:

"We do apologize that you are having issues with your TiVo HD not updating the program information. What we recommend if you have this issue again is unplugging the Tuning Adapter again and also repeating the guided setup on your TiVo box. We do thank you for the information that you have provided and will pass the information along that you have provided to us to have this looked into further. We do thank you for you patience and being a dedicated TiVo customer. If you have any further questions please contact us back."

I wonder of they actually will pass it up the food chain or if they're just blowing smoke.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #87
tootal2

Maybe they will fix this problem with the fall update? Maybe if i upgraded to the tivo Premiere ths problem will go away? I could put my lifetime tivo hd in my bedroom

Quote:
The reply I got today was a little more hopeful:

"We do apologize that you are having issues with your TiVo HD not updating the program information. What we recommend if you have this issue again is unplugging the Tuning Adapter again and also repeating the guided setup on your TiVo box. We do thank you for the information that you have provided and will pass the information along that you have provided to us to have this looked into further. We do thank you for you patience and being a dedicated TiVo customer. If you have any further questions please contact us back."

I wonder of they actually will pass it up the food chain or if they're just blowing smoke.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #88
Eccles
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Yesterday evening, I unplugged and replugged my TA, and today my GC timestamp has updated to around 9am this morning. Coincidence or not, I don't know, but I'll be unplugging my TA every few days from now on.
Perhaps simply keeping Recently Deleted cleaned out is sufficient once GC has resumed normal operation - I haven't unplugged my TA since I posted this on the 8th, and today the GC date had advanced to the 11th.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #89
VinceA

Once GC is back to normal, you don't have to do anything. Things just work. That's the way things are for me right now until the next restart or unwanted TA reboot.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #90
Teeps

Quote:
Once GC is back to normal, you don't have to do anything. Things just work. That's the way things are for me right now until the next restart or unwanted TA reboot.
Agree, it's just getting GC to work is the problem.

Still is with mine.
TiVo continues to tell me to rerun guided setup because their records show my TiVo is set to primary service, not digital...

I've requested, 2 time, step by step instructions. As they relate to cable card installation and tuning adapter connection, and still I am not sure of how they want it done.