TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
arantius

Released: TiVo Commander

For the past two months, after participating in the Discovering the iPad interface thread for a while, I've been working on an Android port of the TiVo iOS app.

I've just released it! You can find it on the Android Market:
https://market.android.com/details?i....tivocommander

Source is on GitHub:
https://github.com/arantius/TiVo-Commander

Constructive feedback is welcomed.
arantius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
innocentfreak

Cool I will give it a try later tonight.

Just sent a crash report in. It still seems to be working, but it generated some form of a crash on my Droid Charge.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
arantius

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Just sent a crash report in. It still seems to be working, but it generated some form of a crash on my Droid Charge.
Did you try to set up a season pass and say to keep "all shows"? I didn't try that before, seems to fail in the same way.

Last edited by arantius : 08-15-2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
innocentfreak

Yeah. I wasn't sure if it was that.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
mr.unnatural

Does this work with any Tivo model other than the Premiere?
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
arantius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Does this work with any Tivo model other than the Premiere?
No. The Premiere added the interface that this relies upon.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #7
randyb359

The remote and search work for me but "my shows" usually does not(it has worked only one time). Any ideas how to get this to work?
randyb359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
arantius

Not without more information. For now all I can suggest is to get a bugreport (a specific term in Android) and send it to me (my email is visible in Market). An easy way to do that is this app:
https://market.android.com/details?i...oid.bugreporte
(Yes, it takes quite a while.)

Preferably, get it to work and fail once just before doing so.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
jcthorne

I cannot get it to connect to my tivo. I am on a wifi connection on my home network, and I input the ip address of the tivo. Tried using the IP address in the browser and it connects to the tivo fine so its on the right network. Tivo commander just reports "Could not connect, check host and port settings" I left the default port setting of 1413.

Suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I cannot get it to connect to my tivo. I am on a wifi connection on my home network, and I input the ip address of the tivo. Tried using the IP address in the browser and it connects to the tivo fine so its on the right network. Tivo commander just reports "Could not connect, check host and port settings" I left the default port setting of 1413.

Suggestions on what I am doing wrong?
Make sure you have network-based remote option turned on for your Premiere:
Settings--Remote, CableCARD & Devices--Network Remote Control--Allow network-based remote controls
(This only works for Premieres, so if you are trying with a non-Premiere TiVo unit it won't work).
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Make sure you have network-based remote option turned on for your Premiere:
Settings--Remote, CableCARD & Devices--Network Remote Control--Allow network-based remote controls
(This only works for Premieres, so if you are trying with a non-Premiere TiVo unit it won't work).
That was it. Thanks! Trying it now.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #12
mcaaronice

I'd recommend putting that you need to enable the network remote option somewhere in the app or on the market description (or both). I was ready to give up before I found this thread.
mcaaronice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
wp746911

app works great for me so far (HTC EVO on sprint)- I second putting some pop-up about enabling network remote. Now, why could tivo not have done this a long time ago? It's a sad day for tivo when the cable companies are out innovating them.
wp746911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #14
arantius

Thanks for the input guys. I had turned that on for my TiVo long ago, and I didn't even realize it was necessary. I'm releasing a new version that checks for this, soon. I just need to do some testing.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #15
psalmx

Running this on a droid incredible with cyanogen mod 7. First few versions didn't work at all ending in force quits, update today has made it run, however after trying to load "my shows" it just sits and doesn't populate the list. The remote function works well.
psalmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #16
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Can you connect to multiple TiVo Premieres with this app? I have two and the app is nice on my Nook Color, but would love to work with both TiVo's and select between them.

Thanks,

Rick
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #17
arantius

> ... trying to load "my shows" it just sits and doesn't populate the list ...

Make it fail, then send a problem report. Without details, I can't do much of anything.

> Can you connect to multiple TiVo ...

Sorta? Go into settings and pick a different one and it's possible. But it's not really designed for that, so it's not super convenient.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:28 AM   #18
aridon

If only the hd interface on the Tivo worked this well
aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #19
psalmx

latest version works great.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #20
tomhorsley

Yea, I was just experimenting with it some today, and somehow it is possible to delete a show without sending it into a busy wait sate for 30 seconds. Imagine that :-). If only the native interface could do that...
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:00 AM   #21
wdowell84

This app is awesome. Thanks so much for releasing it for us! I was wondering if there was a way for the recently deleted or netflix or other tivos shows that are listed under my shows on the tivo to show up under my shows on the app on my phone. It still works by using the remote to go to those sections, but it would be a lot faster if that was possible. Again thanks a ton for the app, I am loving it!!
wdowell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #22
ShannonWrege

Multiple Tivos

I have the same question as rfryar. I can get it working if I have the MAK and the service number, but these seem to be system wide settings. It would be nice to define and save these for each discovered Tivo so you could easily switch between two or more.

Thanks for your help.

Best,
Shannon
ShannonWrege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #23
arantius

As I've already said in this thread, the app was never designed to support multiple DVRs. I could probably add that, but since I have only one, it's the sort of thing that's hard to test. And I'm not terribly motivated to build hard features for strangers just because I've already given away a lot of my time.

I think the MAK is account-wide, and the TSN should be discovered by the settings/discovery screen, so it "should work". But if it doesn't, again, I have one DVR so I have no idea how it's behaving in that situation.

Or: I can put that feature request on the list, but don't hold your breath.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:58 AM   #24
brentil

Love the app! I forked your code, going to see if there's anything beneficial I can add once I get done with school this semester.
brentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #25
psalmx

Official droid incredible 2.3 update broke my shows
Old 09-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #26
dcbk

Re: Released Tivo Commander

I entered in the 192.168.1.x address, tried 1413 (as well as 443 since I get to the Now Playing list on the computer that way), and put in the MAK of my Premiere, but it says "Searching" and No Results Found. I know the 192 address is right, and the MAK is right (it is the password for the browser Now Playing). Neither port seems to make a difference. Remote control is on (and it works using an iPhone and another Tivo app).

And as I type this, I noticed my WiFi was off on my Droid X, so now it finds the box...and DANG it is a HD Series 3 box, oh well!

Decided to include this for others in case the above is useful.

Thanks, D
dcbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #27
6spdcoupe

I am now getting a " Authetication failed; Check MAK settings" message. MAK is correct - confirmed on both the Tivo and Tivo.com. Remote is enabled, video sharing is and has been enabled.

Help ?
6spdcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #28
rockypine

not an iPad!

This is a great app, but being able to see the channel listings on a tablet would be nice. My question is why can't TiVo use some of the money they're spending advertising their wonderful ipad app and develop an android app rather than expecting someone to do it for free? Do ipad owners have a higher subscription rate than android users?
rockypine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:39 PM   #29
brentil

I really don't get it. It's hard to believe they're leaving the Android market completely untapped. More Android devices are sold every day than iTrendy devices and there are more Android devices in use right now than any other device. (Nielson numbers) This of course does not take into account tablets, but their sales #'s versus the other devices are not as large.

Hello, McFly, are you there?

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #30
6spdcoupe

I'm sure it will get there eventually, but yes it is pretty clear cut that they Should be moving on it Much quicker. Actually should be well into Android territory by now rather than waiting it out. Android isn't a 'phase' it is here to stay and more manus need to recognize that.
6spdcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote