TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-21-2011, 02:44 AM   #571
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

"Custom launcher"? What's that do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:08 AM   #572
ArthurPower

Tivo Remote in Linux

Just a shortcut to start a program (in Ubuntu it's called a launcher). I put the remote application in a hidden folder inside the users directly where most programs are installed, then added a launcher with a nice Tivo logo and placed it in the main menu and on my desktop.

Arthur
ArthurPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:33 AM   #573
ArthurPower

I guess I shouldn't have used the word 'custom' it makes it sound like it was something special. It would just be nice to wrap the app into a .deb package so anyone using a Debian Linux distro can easily install it. I just want everything in the right place with a nice looking launcher to start it.

Arthur
ArthurPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #574
Jobius

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Now in addition to the symbols listed above, I'm finding all kinds of interesting new IRCODEs. I'm not sure when these were introduced, but they're available at least as far back as 11.0b:

Code:
CC_ON
CC_OFF
Direct closed-caption toggling! No more pulling up the Info screen to do it.
So I get that this thread is about controlling the TiVo using telnet, but I've been looking for a way to toggle CC from an IR remote. Does the fact that these are listed as IRCODE mean that there's a corresponding, um, IR code? Any way of telling what it is?
Jobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #575
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobius View Post
Does the fact that these are listed as IRCODE mean that there's a corresponding, um, IR code?
No, it does not.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...77#post8399677

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #576
Puf

Status Info

I've been reading threads, playing with the interface, etc. Has someone figured out a way to determine whether (a) you are on livetv, (b) watching a pre-recorded show, (c) in the menus?

I'm using a control system and issuing commands from it. The HDMI is going through a switch and it appears that I need to reinitiate the HDCP handshake upon switching sources back to one of my Tivos. When I do, I don't want to change the channel, menu, etc. so I want to try to figure it out and issue a command that will reinitiate the HDCP connection without messing it up. The thinking is if on LiveTV, I swap tuners or hit info.
Puf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #577
tzroberts

Loss of IP Control?

I am a little late in coming, but I love this thread. Have you guys had any issue in loosing IP control of TiVo when in certain menus, like the advertising menus? If so, is there a way around it or am I forced to use the IR remote to exit out? Thanks for any insight.

Last edited by tzroberts : 07-10-2011 at 10:10 AM.
tzroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:00 PM   #578
DougD

I have been testing out the python remote control programs by wmcbrine and orangeboys and really like them. Has anyone ported these to java? I have tried the java version from jeepguy_1980 but it doesn't seem to provide for keyboard entry.
DougD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:22 AM   #579
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Why do you want it in Java?

Old 08-29-2011, 06:51 AM   #580
DougD

I knowyou develop in Python but I normally don't have Python on my windows 7 machines.
DougD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #581
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougD View Post
I have been testing out the python remote control programs by wmcbrine and orangeboys and really like them. Has anyone ported these to java? I have tried the java version from jeepguy_1980 but it doesn't seem to provide for keyboard entry.
For iPad protocol (Premiere units only) kmttg remote is all Java based and is more than just a simple remote control. However I don't see big deal about having python installed as it's a small, non-intrusive installation.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #582
lrhorer

Oh, this is just too excellent to withstand!

I almost never do any searching or browsing on my TiVos. It leave it up to the Tivos to figure out what I like and what should and should not be recorded. The one exception is every couple of weeks or so I do a Search by Title for HD movies. I usually go to my Theater and use that TiVo for the search. It's always been a pain, though, because there is no way I can remember from the top of my head everything that has or has not been recorded and from what source. The source shouldn't make a difference, but in reality it does. AMC and others often edit the content of various movies. (This should be strictly illegal. It is highly offensive and deleterious to the medium.) Also, some channel's video streams are inferior. TCMHD, for example, often broadcasts videos of inferior quality or in pillar-boxed format. When I have a recording from one of those channels, and the same program gets broadcast on MGMHD, MAXHD, HBO, etc, I replace the old video.

Of course, I can always hit the TiVo button, go to the NPL or vidmgr, and look up the show in question, then hit <TiVo> => <DnArrow> => <DnArrow> => <Select> => <Select> => <DnArrow> => <Select> => <DnArrow> => <Select> => <Select>, enter the first couple of letters of the movie in question, and then hit <RtArrow> until I am back in the selection list. You get my point, I trust.

To alleviate this annoyance, I wrote a simple CGI script that displays all the videos on the server. I have a PC attached to the projector in the theater, so I can bring up the browser on one source and have the TiVo on the other. This worked, but it was a pain having to swap between sources - it takes a little while for the video to re-sync. What's worse, it meant I had to juggle two remotes and a keyboard. It was a bit better than switching in and out of the NPL, but it was still a pain.

Still searching for a solution, I tried using a laptop sitting next to me on the couch, or perched on my belly. This was a little better, but it was still a pain. I had to wear my bifocals so I could see both the laptop and the TV screen, and it's not comfortable trying to read and manage the laptop sitting next to me. Perched on my belly, it's difficult to find and hit the keys necessary to control the laptop.

A couple of weeks ago, however, I got a video capture card off e-bay for $20. I wasn't thinking of this application at the time, actually. I bought it to replace my old, faithful 1999 vintage Philips Series I TiVo which died a few weeks ago. I was using the TiVo to do occasional screen captures of the TiVo in the Theater. I realized last night, however, that it could serve a different function. Unlike the S1 TiVo, the live feed from the S3 TiVo can be displayed on the PC doing the capture. Now I have one window up with the screen capture, one with the TiVo Remote app, and one with a web browser pointed to the CGI scripts mentioned above. Using a remote desktop app, I can do this from any PC in the house.

It's just too, too cool.

lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #583
lrhorer

Hey William,

I have a feature request for the TiVo Remote app. Could we get a little <Help> button that pops up a cheat-sheet for the keyboard shortcuts? Perhaps also tie it in to the "?" key on the keyboard?

Also, in your docs, you mention the Stop function (`). What does this do?
Old 09-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #584
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurPower View Post
I guess I shouldn't have used the word 'custom' it makes it sound like it was something special. It would just be nice to wrap the app into a .deb package so anyone using a Debian Linux distro can easily install it. I just want everything in the right place with a nice looking launcher to start it.
Oh, you've got to be kidding me! A .deb package for an app that has only 1 script (2 if you count Zeroconf.py), no binaries, no compilation, no man page, no startup requirements, and no dependencies other than Python?

Last edited by lrhorer : 09-05-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #585
jfh3

I am trying to get remote.pyw to run on Windows 7 (x64)

I installed Python 2.7 and then clicked on remote to run it, but nothing happens.

I'm sure it's something simple, but I have no idea. Can anyone help?
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #586
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Open a command window and run it from there. Maybe then you'll see an error message.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #587
Soapm

For us non technical people, how do I do this?

Once Python is installed on your system, you should be able to just extract the TiVo Remote archive anywhere, and click on "remote.pyw", or run it from the command line.

I don't know how to extract the file? Do you mean on the windows PC like using WinZip? And what you say click on remote, when I do it opens like a text file? Perhaps there were easier to follow instructions that I missed???
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:00 AM   #588
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Zip functionality is built in to Windows since XP; you don't need WinZip. But that's what "extract" means, yes. No idea why you're not seeing it run... hmm, are you trying to start it from within WinZip? Don't do that.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #589
Soapm

My extractor doesn't recognize anything that needs to be extracted. Of the 3 files, none of them appear associated to the extraction software.

Edite... Nevermind, i didn't notice the download button on the right. I had just downloaded the 3 individual files. Now I get it to run but I have a S2 DT until my new premier arrives next week. It works now.

Last edited by Soapm : 09-18-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #590
Be.steve

For you programmers

Since we'd all like to have a single unit to control, well... EVERYTHING... it would appear to me that it would be possible to write code that would control both the Tivo and any IR controlled device with a unit like ...Global-Cache-iTach-for-IR-Devices-WiFi-Wired-or-Wired-with-PoE-GCWFIP2IRx from HomeControls

Any comments from some of you masters of programming?
Be.steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #591
skavan

delayed response to commands?

how quickly should I be expecting the TIVO to respond to the commands sent to it via IP?

It seems that there is a distinct delay between sending the command and seeing the response? It seems much slower than IR? Or is it just me?

Thanks.
skavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #592
pmiranda

Response should be very fast. In my system it responds faster than IR, going from my laptop, to a wireless router, through a switch, another router, and into my S3.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #593
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Shouldn't be slow. Mine's pretty much immediate.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:59 AM   #594
astrohip
Stuart F

Same here. Instant. As fast as the remote.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:41 AM   #595
skavan

I'm an idiot of immense proportions. You wouldn't believe it if I told you!
All is well.

You can guess if you like...

s.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #596
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Oh come on. Tell us.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 12-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #597
skavan

here's a clue ... slingbox.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:48 AM   #598
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER

Old 12-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #599
skavan

ok ok...so my tivo is in a different room to my home office -- where i have been developing a homeseer based version of the tivo remote control.
To view the TIVO and ensure the system was performing over IP I fired up the slingplayer application which connects to a SlingBox that is connected by COmponent Video to the TIVO. The SlingBox streams the TIVO output to the Slingplayer in my office.

I would send a command to the TIVO while watching the SlingPlayer to see its effect. I was terribly puzzled by the apparent 3 second delay between issuing a command and seeing the TIVO react...until you factor in the latency in the streaming of the TIVO signal to the Slingplayer application.

It was happening in RT at the TIVO and taking 3 seconds to beam the signal to my PC.

OK...as I say, I was an idiot! Nonetheless, Hoemseer is now sending IP commands to the TIVO. Next up is to connect it to the HSTouch skin (attached).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue_black_1024x768.jpg (69.4 KB, 45 views)
Old 12-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #600
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by skavan View Post
ok ok...so my tivo is in a different room to my home office -- where i have been developing a homeseer based version of the tivo remote control.
To view the TIVO and ensure the system was performing over IP I fired up the slingplayer application which connects to a SlingBox that is connected by COmponent Video to the TIVO. The SlingBox streams the TIVO output to the Slingplayer in my office.

I would send a command to the TIVO while watching the SlingPlayer to see its effect. I was terribly puzzled by the apparent 3 second delay between issuing a command and seeing the TIVO react...until you factor in the latency in the streaming of the TIVO signal to the Slingplayer application.

It was happening in RT at the TIVO and taking 3 seconds to beam the signal to my PC.

OK...as I say, I was an idiot! Nonetheless, Hoemseer is now sending IP commands to the TIVO. Next up is to connect it to the HSTouch skin (attached).
I'm not sure I understand everything you said, but I love that image. If that's a remote skin, I want one!

Is that something I can get to work with the Remote.pyw app I use?
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote