Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #8071
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky55 View Post

I am kind of a DIY guy so it really bugs me to have a truck roll for everything.
For anyone running into this - if Comcast insists on truck rolls for CC installs after Monday, file a complaint with the FCC.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #8072
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Both of my Tivo Premieres went "This Channel Not Authorized" for HGTVHD, only. Called Comcast and they tried to hit them, nothing. They have no idea. And now I have to try to be home by 4PM on Wednesday to have them come out - and I feel very strongly that they'll find nothing wrong inside my place, considering nothing changed.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #8073
Cap'n Preshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
Both of my Tivo Premieres went "This Channel Not Authorized" for HGTVHD, only. Called Comcast and they tried to hit them, nothing. They have no idea. And now I have to try to be home by 4PM on Wednesday to have them come out - and I feel very strongly that they'll find nothing wrong inside my place, considering nothing changed.
Historically speaking, it is very unlikely re-hitting the card or sending a cabledroid to your home will yield the desired results. The cabledroid can check levels & replace the drop or connector and/or install conventional service to a conventional cable box, but most of them have zero cablecard skills, in particular when it comes to missing channels. You need to somehow get past tier one support to tier two.

I've had better luck calling TIVO support and having them transfer me to Comcast tier 2. TIVo support has their direct number.
Cap'n Preshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #8074
b_scott
TiVo Fan

thanks maybe i'll try that.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #8075
ritewinger1971

Cable card cost, huh?

I went into my local comcast store today asking to explain why I was being charged for a third set top box when all I have is a dvr, converter, and cable card for my TiVo premiere. It had been my understanding that cc are free. Well, they explained that I had a dvr and two set top boxes. I told them that I did not, but I did have a cable card. She then told me that th Econ dryer charge was for the cable card. She stated that the cable cards are free, and I received a credit for them, but I still had to pay for the service, which is like $7.25. So I told her that the hd boxes only cost $2 to rent, because based on her explanation, the cost per tv outlet is $9.25. She absolutely confused me and the other clerk! Anyone have any comments? I called the 800 number and was told that my monthly rate would remain what I negotiated earlier today, even after adding another hd box, so I'm not complaining, yet....almost made switch to fios, but comcast made me a great offer to keep me for now.
ritewinger1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:56 AM   #8076
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritewinger1971
I went into my local comcast store today asking to explain why I was being charged for a third set top box when all I have is a dvr, converter, and cable card for my TiVo premiere. It had been my understanding that cc are free. Well, they explained that I had a dvr and two set top boxes. I told them that I did not, but I did have a cable card. She then told me that th Econ dryer charge was for the cable card. She stated that the cable cards are free, and I received a credit for them, but I still had to pay for the service, which is like $7.25. So I told her that the hd boxes only cost $2 to rent, because based on her explanation, the cost per tv outlet is $9.25. She absolutely confused me and the other clerk! Anyone have any comments? I called the 800 number and was told that my monthly rate would remain what I negotiated earlier today, even after adding another hd box, so I'm not complaining, yet....almost made switch to fios, but comcast made me a great offer to keep me for now.
At Comcast, you have to pay for HD for each outlet using rented equipment. Glad you got an outlet with no extra charge.

I told them to remove 'the service' from my TiVos and I still get HD. I don't know for sure but I don't think they can actually remove HD if you have your qualified channels programmed to the M-Cards .
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:08 AM   #8077
lpwcomp

Here in Atlanta, the charge is not for HD, it is a "digital outlet" fee.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #8078
danjw1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Here in Atlanta, the charge is not for HD, it is a "digital outlet" fee.
That is a BS charge I had here in Sunnyvale, CA too. Just go over their head to the head of Customer Service, and someone there will take care of it and get back to you about it. Use this form.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #8079
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
thanks maybe i'll try that.
FYI, I got a call from the tier 2 support before my appointment and they fixed it.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #8080
panther61

I actually made the mistake of returning my two S cards to Comcast which worked perfectly fine and required a truck roll two years ago to save $5.00 a month and self install a single M Card.
The local Comcast office was prepared. They had plenty of stock and were aware you could self install. They even gave me a how to flier to follow.
Paired the thing with a call to the Comcast cable card hot line and waited for all my channels to appear. Everything appeared but all the digital encrypted channels as part of the digital preferred package. I did get all analog and a few local HD channels.
3 calls later no luck. No one offered to elevate. Kept asking me for my card serial # and other codes. Kept pushing buttons to no avail.
Called one more time this AM and they decided to roll a truck Thursday AM.
I did write Comcast cares later today and they got back to me but we kept playing phone tag.
I thought I read about people having the same issues with the digital preferred HD channels not being received. Anyone had the same issue where all your channels you subscribe to are not being received after your cablecard install?
panther61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:29 AM   #8081
husky55

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther61 View Post
I actually made the mistake of returning my two S cards to Comcast which worked perfectly fine and required a truck roll two years ago to save $5.00 a month and self install a single M Card.
The local Comcast office was prepared. They had plenty of stock and were aware you could self install. They even gave me a how to flier to follow.
Paired the thing with a call to the Comcast cable card hot line and waited for all my channels to appear. Everything appeared but all the digital encrypted channels as part of the digital preferred package. I did get all analog and a few local HD channels.
3 calls later no luck. No one offered to elevate. Kept asking me for my card serial # and other codes. Kept pushing buttons to no avail.
I did write Comcast cares later today and they got back to me but we kept playing phone tag.
I thought I read about people having the same issues with the digital preferred HD channels not being received. Anyone had the same issue where all your channels you subscribe to are not being received after your cablecard install?
I have the same exact problem, got everything except the premium encrypted channels, HBO, SHT, Encore, etc...

The problem was an error in the DATA value in your M-Card and Comcast pairing data in your account. The solution (at least in CT) is for a truck roll for me, Apparently in CT the CR does not have access to the DATA card account and cannot change it. When the truck roll Comcast tech came he called the Advanced Support Group and they changed just 1 digit of the data value and bingo, problem solved.

Hope this helps you as this forum helped me!!!

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI

Last edited by husky55 : 08-17-2011 at 08:32 AM. Reason: msp
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #8082
matt@thehickmans
Hemo_jr

I picked up a couple cable cards last month at the local storefront here in Houston and now find out they are charging $8.50/mo ea for the new cards rather than the $1.50/mo I was used to. Anyone else seeing this? This is a massive price increase.
matt@thehickmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #8083
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt@thehickmans View Post
I picked up a couple cable cards last month at the local storefront here in Houston and now find out they are charging $8.50/mo ea for the new cards rather than the $1.50/mo I was used to. Anyone else seeing this? This is a massive price increase.
Welcome to Comcast.

The rates vary per franchise - but $5-$9 is the going rate
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #8084
lpwcomp

Quote:
It's probably like here in Atlanta, they are charging for a "Digital Outlet". Harkens back to the old days when they charged for each connection.

You should get a partial credit for user provided equipment. Here, it is $2.50 each. You'll probably have to call to get it though.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #8085
matt@thehickmans
Hemo_jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
Welcome to Comcast.

The rates vary per franchise - but $5-$9 is the going rate
I have been a Comcast customer for 10+ years. CC in Houston have been at $1.50 for about 5 years. Raising the cost to $8.50/m is is a shock.
matt@thehickmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #8086
drhankz

Quote:
I have been a Comcast customer for 10+ years. CC in Houston have been at $1.50 for about 5 years. Raising the cost to $8.50/m is is a shock.
I use to have (5) Cable Cards at $1.50 each.

NOW I have (2) Cable Cards.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #8087
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

IME the first card should be free, since the fee structure normally includes a cable box and the card is inside that box. Then there's a discount because you're only using the card and not the complete box.

The second outlet (e.g., master bedroom, and I think it applies to a second TiVo at the primary location) normally has the "Digital Outlet Fee" applied (on the order of $8) - but then you won't pay the $1.50 card fee, and you'll get another discount for having just the card and not a complete box.

The manner in which it's applied may vary, but the FCC requires (as of November 2011 if not sooner) that you don't pay more for your cable card than a box renter pays for the card inside the box. Which means that effectively there's a box rental fee and a card rental fee - you'll only be charged the card rental fee. Here this shows up as a separate "Customer Owned Equipment" discount from the complete package price.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #8088
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Normal for additional outlets and your net should be $6 after the automatic credit, which you shouldn't have to call for.
The $1.50 charge was only supposed to be for extra cards installed in a device that needed two (such as the old S3 and now the Silicondust HDHomerun Prime), but some Comcast areas allowed that to be applied to any extra card. When I wanted to add a third card a year or so ago, I was told the system would not allow another card at $1.50/mo, it would be the full outlet charge.

So $6 is not great, but not unbearable.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #8089
danjw1

You can find if your equipment credit here. Just type in your zip code.

From Comcast's website:

Quote:
Will I receive an equipment credit if I bring my own CableCARD compatible retail device?

If you own a CableCARD device (e.g., TiVO or CableCARD equipped television) with an activated CableCARD installed and are subscribing to a Comcast video service that includes equipment as a part of the service, Comcast will begin issuing a monthly Customer Owned Equipment credit to your account.

Please click here for more information on the Customer Owned Equipment credit

Old 08-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #8090
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think tonight I'm going to try to swap out my TivoHD for my still unopened Tivo Premiere.

I assume I'll have to call Comcast to repair the card. I say there is only a 20% chance of the 1st level tech that I call being able to do it without difficulty.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #8091
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy
I think tonight I'm going to try to swap out my TivoHD for my still unopened Tivo Premiere.

I assume I'll have to call Comcast to repair the card. I say there is only a 20% chance of the 1st level tech that I call being able to do it without difficulty.
I think you've assessed correctly. I shared my saga which required a manager to assign a skilled tech. It was all done over the phone.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:49 AM   #8092
panther61

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther61 View Post
Tech came out and had to call to do a, "hard reset". Suggest if you run into my problem ask on the phone if they can do this hard reset if Comcast let's them.
panther61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #8093
bobster954

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsdavetime View Post
Picked up my cablecard and put it in my Tivo. All channels work except for HBO. I've been on the phone six times with Comcast already and nobody there can figure out the issue. They all say I need a truck roll or a new cablecard. I might just go into the service center tomorrow and pickup a new cablecard just in the event it is that.

Anyone experience this issue with only HBO not working?
still reading up on this long thread, but I just got my card and hbo gone too...and encores (a lot of stuff between 133 and 170) are out too.

tivo had told me this might happen and I will call them..they said they can usually call them and tell them what to do...comcast csr do nothing but check id numbers and send signals...they do nothing else....

conditional access = yes....calling again. On phone now. Demanded to talk to tier 2. He is going to give me a number to call them directly....huh?

Last edited by bobster954 : 08-18-2011 at 09:42 AM.
bobster954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #8094
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster954 View Post
still reading up on this long thread, but I just got my card and hbo gone too...and encores (a lot of stuff between 133 and 170) are out too.

tivo had told me this might happen and I will call them..they said they can usually call them and tell them what to do...comcast csr do nothing but check id numbers and send signals...they do nothing else....
It is NOT TiVo's Problem - it is usually Comcast with
something configured WRONG.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #8095
bobster954

after hours on end, tivo opened for the day and we both called.

the tech he got was higher up...he cleared the card from the system, added the numbers by hand, sent new signal, voila, all channels viewable.

i think that is something the frontline techs could try if you could talk them into it.
bobster954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #8096
itsdavetime

The techs on the phone are lazy. I hate when I have to call them as I know it will be a very frustrating phone call.
itsdavetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #8097
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster954 View Post
after hours on end, tivo opened for the day and we both called.

the tech he got was higher up...he cleared the card from the system, added the numbers by hand, sent new signal, voila, all channels viewable.

i think that is something the frontline techs could try if you could talk them into it.
AS I SAID - It was a Comcast Problem

I'm happy to hear they fixed it.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #8098
Pokemon_Dad
Ruler of an Unown UI

Clueless Comcast: Some Apology This Is

OK, this is so bad it's funny. We moved recently, and I had a lot of trouble getting our CableCards authorized. Again. Comcast got plenty of feedback from me about this via the automated surveys and several direct conversations. Most of it helpful, I might add.

So, someone there apparently decided to make it up to me. Today I received an envelope that says "We're Sorry. A special gift from Comcast inside." Inside was a coupon and a form letter expressing apology, auto-signed by VPs of customer care and biz ops. To make it up to me, they're offering a free On Demand movie. The coupon says just "go to Channel 1 or press the On Demand button on your remote".

Um, hello? Comcast? The problem was you folks couldn't activate CableCards right. In my TiVos. A TiVo does not get Channel 1, and a TiVo remote has no On Demand button. Even my Premier XL doesn't have the On Demand service in the menus yet, if it ever will. Oh, this is rich!
TiVo PC / Nero LiquidTV << not recommended
Silicon Valley, CA

Last edited by Pokemon_Dad : 08-19-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Pokemon_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:15 PM   #8099
cheitzig

cablecard with limited basic cable, comcast

Perhaps this isn't news, but based on reading earlier posts, seemed to be.

Went to the Comcast site to see if they showed a local office that provides cablecard self-installs. None nearby.

So I drove to the nearest office here in a suburb of Minneapolis. Asked for a cablecard. The woman behind the counter asked if they had any, and another woman replied that they did.

Then, she looked up my account, realized I had limited basic cable, and that caused another question about whether it'd work or not. They asked if I had a TiVo, and I said yes. They told me I could just hook the cable directly up to the TiVo and I agreed, but said that I'd read online that I could get better channel info by using a cablecard, and that worst case, I'd just bring it back.

They said sure, okay. Walked out maybe five minutes later with my cablecard.

Of course, I haven't tried it yet...
cheitzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #8100
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheitzig View Post
Perhaps this isn't news, but based on reading earlier posts, seemed to be.

Went to the Comcast site to see if they showed a local office that provides cablecard self-installs. None nearby.

So I drove to the nearest office here in a suburb of Minneapolis. Asked for a cablecard. The woman behind the counter asked if they had any, and another woman replied that they did.

Then, she looked up my account, realized I had limited basic cable, and that caused another question about whether it'd work or not. They asked if I had a TiVo, and I said yes. They told me I could just hook the cable directly up to the TiVo and I agreed, but said that I'd read online that I could get better channel info by using a cablecard, and that worst case, I'd just bring it back.

They said sure, okay. Walked out maybe five minutes later with my cablecard.

Of course, I haven't tried it yet...
Channel Info comes from TiVo - NOT the CableCard

CableCard is to decrypt digital channels