TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-15-2011, 12:21 AM   #3091
jsheinz1234

Thanks!
jsheinz1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:28 AM   #3092
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
No I haven't had another chance to mess with it yet.

I guess I was going off the assumption MPG would be easier since when KMTTG decrypts the .TiVo file you are left with just an MPG so I was trying to do the same with WTV. It could also be an issue with the profile that they wrote into the MC-TVconverter.

Trying MP4 now and I don't think this is going to work for us. MP4 just takes way too long to convert from WTV since we record so much.
Well, if you have slow CPUs (like I do), then it's true it can take a very long time to recode to h.264, but the results are definitely worth it. What's more, you don't have to babysit the conversion. Select 3 or 4 - or 3 or 4 dozen - files to convert on a PC and let the process run 24 x 7 until it completes.

That, or you could use this as an excuse to upgrade your CPU, motherboard, and memory. A 3.6 GHz, 6 core cpu should be able to recode at just about real-time. Overclock it to 4GHz, and it can probably do a bit better than real-time. Running it 24 x 7 will wind up convertging a *LOT* of videos. I've done a couple of hundred so far.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:08 AM   #3093
jsheinz1234

Question

hmmmm...replace all the files in Pytivo with the Wmcombrine stuff.

Can't connect to http://localhost:9032/ now...

Don't know what to give you guys. Pretty sure it is setup as a service.

Check Start on Console says this:
Checking to see if pyTivo is already running . . .
pyTivo

=================== Error =======================
The pyTivo Service is already running.

Please stop the pyTivo Service first before
running pyTivo in console mode.

Press any key to continue . . .

Check Start Service:
The requested service has already been started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

It appears to be running?
Old 08-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #3094
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheinz1234 View Post
hmmmm...replace all the files in Pytivo with the Wmcombrine stuff.

Can't connect to http://localhost:9032/ now...

Don't know what to give you guys. Pretty sure it is setup as a service.

Check Start on Console says this:
Checking to see if pyTivo is already running . . .
pyTivo

=================== Error =======================
The pyTivo Service is already running.

Please stop the pyTivo Service first before
running pyTivo in console mode.

Check Start Service:
The requested service has already been started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

It appears to be running?
Try restarting the service or restart your computer if you did not after replacing the files.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #3095
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
An H.264 file in an MPEG4 container transfers more than 4 times faster than the same content encoded as MPEG2 on my S3 and THD machines*. ............
* - Using the default compression employed by VRD when recoding an MPEG2 file to h.264. This results in about a 30% reduction in file size........
These two facts seem inconsistent, don't they? How does (only) a 30% file size reduction lead to 4X transfer speed increase?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #3096
jsheinz1234

I have restarted several times.

I will replace pytivo folder with my backup and see what happens later when I get home tonight and see what happens.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #3097
Iluvatar

Quote:
I have restarted several times.

I will replace pytivo folder with my backup and see what happens later when I get home tonight and see what happens.
If you still have issues run pyTivo from the command line and post your log here.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #3098
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
These two facts seem inconsistent, don't they? How does (only) a 30% file size reduction lead to 4X transfer speed increase?
Not exactly. Mpeg2 video transfered to a tivo results in the tivo transcoding to its internal storage format as its recieved. mp4 files containing compatible h264/ac3 data correctly interleaved and formatted for streaming will store on the tivo 'as is' requireing no processing on the tivo end. On a premiere, there is little difference unless the tivo is really busy, but on a series 3, the difference can be sufficient to prevent real time transfer of HD video in mpeg2 format.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #3099
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
On a premiere, there is little difference unless the tivo is really busy, but on a series 3, the difference can be sufficient to prevent real time transfer of HD video in mpeg2 format.
Especially on a TiVoHD, but even my S3 TiVos cannot transfer 720p content at real-time, even with both tuners disabled. The same video, converted to .mp4, trransfers at over 30Mbps with both tuners recording on HD channels.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:51 PM   #3100
jsheinz1234

Ran the current "NEW" pytivo.py from CMD
C:\Program Files\pyTivo>pytivo.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\pyTivo.py", line 21, in <module>
config.init_logging()
File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\config.py", line 409, in init_logging
elif getDebug():
File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\config.py", line 191, in getDebug
return config.getboolean('Server', 'debug')
File "C:\Python27\lib\ConfigParser.py", line 360, in getboolean
v = self.get(section, option)
File "C:\Python27\lib\ConfigParser.py", line 599, in get
raise NoSectionError(section)
ConfigParser.NoSectionError: No section: 'Server'

I don't see another log file anywhere.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #3101
jsheinz1234

Replaced "New" Pytivo Folder with Backup Pytivo folder and all appears to be running fine. Can see my ToGo list, etc.

Should I just start Fresh with the new Wmcombrine zip?
wmcbrine-d2e63d53ecdaf80ce39ad134e7e8466b58c75dcb

I DL'd ffmpeg-SVN-r21659-rdian06-1.02-win-x86_32
and pywin32-216.win32-py2.7

Should I uninstall and start over?
Old 08-15-2011, 10:38 PM   #3102
Iluvatar

Quote:
Ran the current "NEW" pytivo.py from CMD
C:\Program Files\pyTivo>pytivo.py
File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\pyTivo.py", line 21, in <module>
config.init_logging()
File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\config.py", line 409, in init_logging
elif getDebug():
File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\config.py", line 191, in getDebug
return config.getboolean('Server', 'debug')
File "C:\Python27\lib\ConfigParser.py", line 360, in getboolean
v = self.get(section, option)
File "C:\Python27\lib\ConfigParser.py", line 599, in get
raise NoSectionError(section)
ConfigParser.NoSectionError: No section: 'Server'

I don't see another log file anywhere.
This is enough. It seems your pyTivo.conf file is missing vital parts of the configuration for it to run (Server). I am uncertain if this section has changed with newer pyTivo developments.

Post your pyTivo.conf contents (with private info removed) and we can help you make it work with the newer pyTivo releases.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:20 AM   #3103
jsheinz1234

Weird...don't know if this is correct, but I found the currect pytivo.conf in C:\Users\Public\Documents\pyTivo Is that correct?

Here are the contents:
[loggers]
keys = root

[_tivo_SD]

[handler_console]
formatter = basicform
class = StreamHandler
args = (sys.stdout,)

[My Videos]
type = video
path = REDACTED

[Admin]
tivo_mak = REDACTED
type = admin

[handlers]
keys = console,rotfile

[My Photos]
type = photo
path = REDACTED

[Server]
port = 9032
temp = C:\Users\Public\Documents\pyTivo
ffmpeg = C:\Program Files\pyTivo\bin\ffmpeg.exe

[formatter_basicform]
format = %(asctime)s %(levelname)-5s %(name)s: %(message)s

[handler_rotfile]
formatter = basicform
class = handlers.RotatingFileHandler
args = ('C:\Users\Public\Documents\pyTivo\debug.log', 'a', 10485760, 5)

[_tivo_HD]

[logger_root]
handlers = console,rotfile
level = DEBUG

[formatters]
keys = basicform
Old 08-16-2011, 12:21 AM   #3104
jsheinz1234

New Question: If I cancel my Tivo Service can I still access it via Pytivo?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #3105
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Weird...don't know if this is correct, but I found the currect pytivo.conf in C:\Users\Public\Documents\pyTivo Is that correct?
I bet you're running Win7. Move your pyTivo stuff out of the Program Files folder tree. When you edit pytivo.conf and save it, Win7 "protects" you by actually saving the new version somewhere else (with no clue to you that it is doing so). Then when you run, you're still using the unedited file. There is no advantage to having pyTivo in the program files folder system

Similarly, no properly designed Windows program will attempt to write to files in the Program Files folder, because typically they don't have access to do so on Win7. Note this issue applies to vidmgr, which writes a thumbnail cache in the same folder tree it is running from. Thus, don't install pyhme or vidmgr in the program files folder systems.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #3106
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
New Question: If I cancel my Tivo Service can I still access it via Pytivo?
No.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #3107
jsheinz1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
No.
Well then, this is all pointless. Was hoping to cancel my monthly fee, but still use it as a repository for videos from my computer. Can't transfer videos to it without tivo subscription?
Old 08-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #3108
jcthorne

No. Home Media features and transfers are a part of the subscription.

Sorry you feel these very worthwhile and useful extensions to the Tivo appliance are pointless. The remainder of the folks here feel otherwise.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #3109
jsheinz1234

No, sorry, you misunderstand the direction of my comment. I think PYTIVO et al are extremely useful and awesome. I have been using it for more than 3 years.

Unfortunately, after cancelling my Cable subscription to cut costs, I have no real use for my TIVO box other than to access files from my computer, and was going to cancel my monthly subscription (yes I made the mistake of getting the monthly subscription instead of the lifetime service).

I was hoping I would be able to access the device without the subscription. If I can't use my Tivo as a media server without the subscription, then my efforts to get an upgraded version of PYTIVO working are pointless.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:05 AM   #3110
jcthorne

You don't plan to use your Tivo for OTA broadcasts?

Between OTA, netflix and internet video sources, we have all we could ever watch. I too cut the cable. Four years ago. The only thing we miss are distant playoff games not shown on broadcast tv. Refuse a cable sub just for that. Much cheaper to have dinner at the sports bar down the street and spend the evening on thier sofa and plasma tv a few times a year.

I really don't think I could have made the cord cutting acceptable to the wife if it were not for Tivo as our whole home media center. We really use the 'one box' concept Tivo was so fond of promoting.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:43 AM   #3111
jsheinz1234

A series 2 doesn't have a digital tuner does it?
Old 08-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #3112
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

A Series 2 can control an external tuner for digital OTA, unless it's a 2DT or a 542.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:43 AM   #3113
jsheinz1234

OK...Chips are back on the table and I am pushing ALL IN! Gonna keep the TIVO service!

Got the digital converter box (RCA from Walmart - Pretty nice unit in comparison to others I have seen online elsewhere) and we are amazed at the amount of programming available...especially for our kids!

So how to I get up to date? I would like to get the push ability so I can get some of the shows that I am missing onto the box.

I just downloaded the most recent wmcbrine fork...Probably best to just start over? Unzip and copy my conf file in there? What adjustments need to be made to my conf file I pasted previously. (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...52#post8658752) or will moving it into the parent pytivo folder solve the problem with localhost.

As always, your help (and dedication) are appreciated!
Old 08-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #3114
Iluvatar

Quote:
OK...Chips are back on the table and I am pushing ALL IN! Gonna keep the TIVO service!

Got the digital converter box (RCA from Walmart - Pretty nice unit in comparison to others I have seen online elsewhere) and we are amazed at the amount of programming available...especially for our kids!

So how to I get up to date? I would like to get the push ability so I can get some of the shows that I am missing onto the box.

I just downloaded the most recent wmcbrine fork...Probably best to just start over? Unzip and copy my conf file in there? What adjustments need to be made to my conf file I pasted previously. (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...52#post8658752) or will moving it into the parent pytivo folder solve the problem with localhost.

As always, your help (and dedication) are appreciated!
here is a sample of my pyTivo.conf file. Appropriate info is redacted and as always change to suit your needs. With just a basic pyTivo.conf to get running you can use the web admin tool to finish the rest.

Code:
[Server]
tivo_password = ****
tivo_mak = *****
ffmpeg = /Applications/pyTivo/ffmpeg
ffmpeg_pram = -threads 2
togo_path = /Volumes/Media/TiVo
debug = True
tivo_username = ****

[Movies]
force_alpha = true
type = video
path = /Volumes/Videos/Movies

[TV Shows]
force_alpha = true
type = video
path = /Volumes/Videos/TV Shows
And of course this is placed in the primary pyTivo directory. I would run it command line first to get debug output and make sure its working. Then follow the pyTivo Service guide on pyTivo wiki if everything looks good.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #3115
jsheinz1234

Thanks!

My current conf doesn't have username or password. Do I need those? And if so where do I find them?

What is the togo_path?
Old 08-21-2011, 05:02 PM   #3116
Iluvatar

Quote:
Thanks!

My current conf doesn't have username or password. Do I need those? And if so where do I find them?

What is the togo_path?
user name and password of your Tivo.com account to utilize the file push. This is required if you use push.

togo_path is where you want your videos to be stored if you transfer files off of your TiVo and on to your computer. Not required if you do not intend on using TiVo ToGo.

The pyTivo web admin tool I referenced earlier has descriptions for all the settings. Or you can go to the pyTivo wiki.

TBH you have had so many issues that I would just delete your current pyTivo.conf and just put the things from the Server section I have posted below, then use the pyTivo web admin tool to set up the rest.

Code:
[Server]
ffmpeg = C:\Path\To\ffmpeg.exe
debug = True

Old 08-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #3117
jsheinz1234

OK. Uninstalled old version, and looks like I am up and running!

Messing with Webconf now.

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #3118
Iluvatar

Quote:
OK. Uninstalled old version, and looks like I am up and running!

Messing with Webconf now.

Thanks for your help!
Sure.

Post here or on the pyTivo forums if you need additional help.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #3119
jsheinz1234

Getting this error:
C:\pytivo>pyTivoService.py --startup auto install
File "C:\pytivo\pyTivoService.py", line 4, in <module>
import win32event
ImportError: DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #3120
pmiranda

I rediscovered an important tip: if it works fine in a command window, and you run it as a service but can't get to the config page and TiVo can't see it... you have to mark the python win32 service as allowed through the firewall :-)
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote