TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #31
tootal2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
And now..... TiVo does not connect to their servers, at all. Failed to connect error S03.

Now what?
DO NOT rerun the giuied setup you will get stuck in the setup!!
Tivo says to unplug it from the internet and delete everything in your todo list and maybe all your season passess. Tivo says it should fix itself in 4days.

i had the s03 error on my other tivo hd and thought repeating the guieded setup would fix it. but it got stuck in the guieded setup becouse it could not get passed the s03 error.

I had to replace the drive using a drive image from my other tivo. if you cant copy a drive with a s03 error since you will be making a copy of the s03 error.
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:32 AM   #32
WO312

I had this issue after I upgraded to 2 TB on my HD. Turns out the GC wasn't updating. I guess GC stands for Garbage Collection or something like that. You can check for GC in the System Information screen, down close to the bottom of the last page. The date should be within a day or 2 of today if it is working.

To fix it, I had to do a delete of everything but my recordings. Don't remember the wording, but it is the one that is just short of Clear and Delete Everything, which will get rid of your recordings. It deletes your program guide and season passes. Strangely, it did not delete all of my passes, but now the recordings done before are orphaned in their own folder. So for recurring recordings, I now have 2 identical folders - one for recordings before and one for recordings after the deleting.

At any rate, things are now working and back to normal, and GC is updating by itself.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:01 AM   #33
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
I had this issue after I upgraded to 2 TB on my HD. Turns out the GC wasn't updating. I guess GC stands for Garbage Collection or something like that. You can check for GC in the System Information screen, down close to the bottom of the last page. The date should be within a day or 2 of today if it is working.

To fix it, I had to do a delete of everything but my recordings. Don't remember the wording, but it is the one that is just short of Clear and Delete Everything, which will get rid of your recordings. It deletes your program guide and season passes. Strangely, it did not delete all of my passes, but now the recordings done before are orphaned in their own folder. So for recurring recordings, I now have 2 identical folders - one for recordings before and one for recordings after the deleting.

At any rate, things are now working and back to normal, and GC is updating by itself.
How soon did things return to normal after the above "cleaning?"

Did you do any thing else?
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #34
WO312

Quote:
How soon did things return to normal after the above "cleaning?"

Did you do any thing else?
It's been a few months, but as I recall, I did a manual call to Tivo and just let everything take care of itself. I think it took a day or 2 before everything signaled O.K. I think the Tivo has to do an index before everything registered. But at least I could do a program update without getting the S03 error. And I think I could schedule programs fairly soon, as soon as the data loaded.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #35
tootal2

can the problem with the gc: file cause the so3 error? I have to reboot my tivo everyweek becouse of problems with gc file.

and why wont tivo fix this?
Old 08-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #36
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
can the problem with the gc: file cause the so3 error? I have to reboot my tivo everyweek becouse of problems with gc file.

and why wont tivo fix this?
In my case, the weekly reboot eventually failed (became S03 problem) and I had to do the delete sequence to fix the GC file problem.

You'll have to ask Tivo why they won't (or can't) fix it.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #37
tootal2

Quote:
In my case, the weekly reboot eventually failed (became S03 problem) and I had to do the delete sequence to fix the GC file problem.

You'll have to ask Tivo why they won't (or can't) fix it.
i have, they say they dont get enough complants about it to fix
Old 08-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #38
Teeps

Quote:
To fix it, I had to do a delete of everything but my recordings. Don't remember the wording, but it is the one that is just short of Clear and Delete Everything, which will get rid of your recordings. It deletes your program guide and season passes.
The above appears to have fixed the problem with connecting to TiVo server. I will know more tonight.

Thanks, WO312

So it took TiVo, two calls home, then after chewing on the data over 8 hours. All is back to normal, except there are no season passes, etc...

Last edited by Teeps : 08-16-2011 at 07:43 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-17-2011, 10:52 PM   #39
tootal2

I wished i fixed my tivo that way. reruning the guided setup was a bad idea.
I found out how to fix it his way after my tivo was stuck in the guided setup with no way pass the s03 error.

Quote:
The above appears to have fixed the problem with connecting to TiVo server. I will know more tonight.

Thanks, WO312

So it took TiVo, two calls home, then after chewing on the data over 8 hours. All is back to normal, except there are no season passes, etc...

Old 08-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #40
Teeps

Quote:
I wished i fixed my tivo that way. reruning the guided setup was a bad idea.
I found out how to fix it his way after my tivo was stuck in the guided setup with no way pass the s03 error.
Yea, I feel ya... I was dreading a hdd swap to the point I was thinking of getting a premier box. That is until I found out it still needs a cussed tuning adapter.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #41
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

This is SO frustrating...it's been happening a lot since we moved, so I'm blaming Time Warner (hey, they're easy to blame, lol). I also hate rebooting, because it messes with the TW adapter box and we usually have to reset all our HD channels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #42
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
This is SO frustrating...it's been happening a lot since we moved, so I'm blaming Time Warner (hey, they're easy to blame, lol). I also hate rebooting, because it messes with the TW adapter box and we usually have to reset all our HD channels.

See the instruction WO312 posted above. It worked for me.
I will add this to the instruction:
Do not add any season passes until you see a current date in the GC line in system info screen.
And, current guide data can be viewed and searched.

And what ever you do, DO NOT run GUIDED SETUP ...
Old 08-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #43
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
See the instruction WO312 posted above. It worked for me.
I will add this to the instruction:
Do not add any season passes until you see a current date in the GC line in system info screen.
And, current guide data can be viewed and searched.

And what ever you do, DO NOT run GUIDED SETUP ...
I saw that but it makes me cry as we have about 70 SPs.

sushikitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #44
tootal2

Quote:
Everybody needs to complain to tivo so they will fix this problem. I have to reboot my tivo every 2 weeks becouse of this problem
Old 08-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #45
Teeps

Quote:
Take a digital photo of the screen(s.)
It's not that bad... Think of it like cleaning out the garage or the basement.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #46
Teeps

Quote:
Everybody needs to complain to tivo so they will fix this problem. I have to reboot my tivo every 2 weeks becouse of this problem
Does the GC date (seen on 2nd sys/info screen) change daily?

If not you might try the delete everything but the recordings, as I did. So far the GC changes daily.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #47
tootal2

The date of the gc file was last sunday I i rebooted it today and my said powering up for about 2 mins then restarted over and over never getting past the powing up. i unpluged everything from the back of the tivo hd and got it to reboot

It was a very stressful hour. I hope tivo fixes this soon.

I might try deleting everything next time but i have over 200 season passes.

Quote:
Does the GC date (seen on 2nd sys/info screen) change daily?

If not you might try the delete everything but the recordings, as I did. So far the GC changes daily.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:24 PM   #48
WO312

Quote:
The date of the gc file was last sunday I i rebooted it today and my said powering up for about 2 mins then restarted over and over never getting past the powing up. i unpluged everything from the back of the tivo hd and got it to reboot

It was a very stressful hour. I hope tivo fixes this soon.

I might try deleting everything next time but i have over 200 season passes.
Here's my theory. I googled GC and came up with this from a 2005 TCF post: " It most definitely is Garbage Collection, and it has to do with cleaning up the old guide data from the databases, along with deleting data from unlisted references and so on. The point being that it cleans up the drive."

When I got my S03 error, and guide data would no longer update, my last GC date was many weeks old. So my theory is that the Tivo eventually becomes clogged with old guide data, etc., and can no longer update.

So for you, last Sunday is not that bad. My suspicion, though, is that if it stays on that date in the future, in several weeks you will also get the S03 error and will be forced to do a clear and delete. YMMV.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #49
tootal2

I wonder if i can delete all my cable season passes and keep all my antenna season passes?

Quote:
Here's my theory. I googled GC and came up with this from a 2005 TCF post: " It most definitely is Garbage Collection, and it has to do with cleaning up the old guide data from the databases, along with deleting data from unlisted references and so on. The point being that it cleans up the drive."

When I got my S03 error, and guide data would no longer update, my last GC date was many weeks old. So my theory is that the Tivo eventually becomes clogged with old guide data, etc., and can no longer update.

So for you, last Sunday is not that bad. My suspicion, though, is that if it stays on that date in the future, in several weeks you will also get the S03 error and will be forced to do a clear and delete. YMMV.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:25 AM   #50
VinceA

I've found that these things help the issue before it gets to the S03 state:
- keep your Deleted Items folder empty by manually deleting stuff from it
- manually reset your TA (unplug power, wait 15-30 seconds, replug power), wait a day and see if the GC date advances. If not, try again.

I do the first until the second yields results (GC advances automatically daily). It took about a week or so until the second option finally 'took'. Royal pain in the butt...
VinceA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #51
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceA View Post
I've found that these things help the issue before it gets to the S03 state:
- keep your Deleted Items folder empty by manually deleting stuff from it
- manually reset your TA (unplug power, wait 15-30 seconds, replug power), wait a day and see if the GC date advances. If not, try again.

I do the first until the second yields results (GC advances automatically daily). It took about a week or so until the second option finally 'took'. Royal pain in the butt...
Interesting. May be a pain in the butt, but certainly less so than re-creating all your season passes.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #52
tootal2

i did a clear program information & todo list. And now the CG: date is thursday december 31 6:00 pm. Will that fix itself? Also it says program info has run out! connect to the tivo service. But the guide seems full till 9-2-11. Guess this will go away.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #53
VinceA

Yes, it will. 12/31 is a place holder until the first GC happens.
VinceA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #54
Teeps

Mine was ok until I noticed on Saturday 20Aug11, that GC was stuck on 18Aug11. Guide data good until 28Aug11. There were successful service connections each day, including a forced connection, yesterday.

This morning I contacted TiVo support (via chat) about the guide data and GC.
The agent reviewed my account settings (their side) and said that my channel lineup was set to "Primary" and that it sould be set to "Digital."
So.... I followed this instructions* to fix the channel line up. Not sure how long it took for this to happen. But, as of right now (4hrs later) GC is updated to today's date and guide data is good to 5Sept11.

I suppose changing the channel line up, is similar to guided setup. But never specifically selected "Guided Setup."

*INSTRUCTIONS:
go to messages & settings>
settings>
channels>
channel list>
press enter button?
from there I was on my own but I chose to fix the line up and selected "cable."> (I use both cable and ota.)

The TiVo did the rest...

As a side note: I had permanently deleted all "deleted" files before doing the above.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #55
WO312

Quote:
Mine was ok until I noticed on Saturday 20Aug11, that GC was stuck on 18Aug11. Guide data good until 28Aug11. There were successful service connections each day, including a forced connection, yesterday.

This morning I contacted TiVo support (via chat) about the guide data and GC.
The agent reviewed my account settings (their side) and said that my channel lineup was set to "Primary" and that it sould be set to "Digital."
So.... I followed this instructions* to fix the channel line up. Not sure how long it took for this to happen. But, as of right now (4hrs later) GC is updated to today's date and guide data is good to 5Sept11.

I suppose changing the channel line up, is similar to guided setup. But never specifically selected "Guided Setup."

*INSTRUCTIONS:
go to messages & settings>
settings>
channels>
channel list>
press enter button?
from there I was on my own but I chose to fix the line up and selected "cable."> (I use both cable and ota.)

The TiVo did the rest...

As a side note: I had permanently deleted all "deleted" files before doing the above.
I don't think it is at all unusual for the GC to be a couple of days behind. I"m pretty sure it would have updated itself. After my S03 fix I have kept a close watch on GC and that is normal behavior. Although I am surprised about the guide data dates. Hope what you did fixed it permanently.

Right now, on the 22nd, my GC says Aug 20 and my guide data is Sept 3.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:15 AM   #56
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Here's a vague hint that may help you. Perhaps you can search various forums here and find the details.

There's something you can "opt in" to on TiVo that will save your season passes for you. It's not interesting to me because I don't want TiVo to have even more information about me than they already have.

But it's something like improved search, or KidZone, or ???. I don't really remember what, I do know that it will recover season passes for you when you change TiVos (so presumably it would also work in this case).

Sorry to be vague, maybe you can search and find more info. But like I said, I'd rather re-input the passes, that's just how stupid/ornery I am.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #57
WO312

Quote:
I don't think it is at all unusual for the GC to be a couple of days behind. I"m pretty sure it would have updated itself. After my S03 fix I have kept a close watch on GC and that is normal behavior. Although I am surprised about the guide data dates. Hope what you did fixed it permanently.

Right now, on the 22nd, my GC says Aug 20 and my guide data is Sept 3.
As a reference point, right now, on the morning of the 23rd, my GC now says Aug 23 and my guide data is Sept 4.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #58
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
Here's a vague hint that may help you. Perhaps you can search various forums here and find the details.

There's something you can "opt in" to on TiVo that will save your season passes for you. It's not interesting to me because I don't want TiVo to have even more information about me than they already have.

But it's something like improved search, or KidZone, or ???. I don't really remember what, I do know that it will recover season passes for you when you change TiVos (so presumably it would also work in this case).

Sorry to be vague, maybe you can search and find more info. But like I said, I'd rather re-input the passes, that's just how stupid/ornery I am.
Excellent point. I had forgotten that was possible.

Edit: Did a little searching. Not sure it will work in this case. If you put a new drive in your Tivo, it will populate it with your passes. Or you can transfer passes between boxes. But I did not find an option to re-install passes on a box where you deleted them. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by WO312 : 08-23-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:18 AM   #59
Teeps

Quote:
Excellent point. I had forgotten that was possible.

Edit: Did a little searching. Not sure it will work in this case. If you put a new drive in your Tivo, it will populate it with your passes. Or you can transfer passes between boxes. But I did not find an option to re-install passes on a box where you deleted them. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
I noticed optin on the system info screen and wondered what that meant.

I should know the answer, about season passes, soon as the 2TB drive is installed.

Man if TiVo Central Online can do that, it would be great...
Old 08-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #60
Eccles
Mostly harmless

Glad I found this thread. I too am experiencing the guide data warning problem on my TiVo HD with an mCard and a Cisco TA. Restarting the TiVo gets rid of the warning for a while, but it returns after another couple of weeks or so. And eventually, after doing this little dance a dozen or so times, I get an S03 error.

This has happened three times now - the first time I wound up re-imaging my drive, but the last couple of times I've "got away" with doing a Clear and Delete All. Still a major PITA.

Right now, I've just restarted it for probably the third time after the latest S03. I hadn't noticed the GC date, but now that I look at it, it's showing July 24. The theory that GC is getting overwhelmed by the amount of work might also explain why this tends (correct me if I'm wrong) to affect folks with larger drives to a greater extent. I had over 60 items in my Recently Deleted folder, which I cleared before restarting this time after reading this thread.

I'll keep a close eye on the GC date - although manually cleaning up the deletions is a hassle, it's nowhere near the pain of having to recreate my SP's and WL's and explain to the wife that her archive of cooking shows has been lost (again).
150-hour Premiere XL (Lifetime)
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote