Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Where can you buy what?
He's a spammer...already reported.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #7893
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

I haven't seen the Hitachi Deskstar drives mentioned recently as a recommended drive. I did 3 S3s with them around a year or so ago and had 1 extra one as an emergency backup. Well today my homemade 1TB external on another S3 decided it was time to quit so I just used that backup drive to get up and running again. I want to order another drive(I like having one readily available) but don't want to bother with the wdidle3.exe stuff(tried multiple times with a drive and could never get it to work on my PC). Is anyone using the newest version of the Deskstar with success?

This one in particular:

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-Deskst.../ref=pd_cp_e_2
Motorola RNG200N Comcast HD DVR
chrishicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #7894
bobman0330

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman0330 View Post
I recently upgraded a Tivo HD with a 2 TB Barracuda Green drive. I used jmfs to copy and expand, then supersized with WinMFS. Everything seemed to go fine, except all of my recorded programs were on the new drive, which was not what I had expected.

However, I quickly noticed problems with the upgraded box. On certain channels (it seems to be only some and not others), there are occasional audio drop-outs, which slowly escalate to extended audio drop outs, brief video freezing, then finally a hard lock-up that requires disconnecting and reconnecting power to recover from. The original drive still seems to be working normally. (I heard one audio drop-out which terrified me, but I haven't had anything more serious... yet).

Any ideas what could be going wrong here? Does the fact that the Barracuda is an Advanced Format drive matter? Does Seagate have some analogue of the Intellipark feature that could be causing issues? Also, I used a Gigabyte mobo to do the upgrade. Could that have caused this problem?
Anyone have any ideas about this? Thanks!
bobman0330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #7895
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman0330 View Post
Anyone have any ideas about this? Thanks!
No "intellipark analogue" with the Seagate. Only thing I might suggest is if you purchased the drive locally, you might try getting ann exchange to see if another works better. Don't know how probably, but a defective drive is a possibility.

You might also review the procedure again, thoroughly, to possibly determine if an error was made. Check reassembly for secure connections, etc.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #7896
fatpants

Best step-by-step instructions to use?

Hi everyone. I've had many issues with my current drive freezing during playback, so I've decided to jump in and upgrade my Tivo HD to a larger drive. Reading through some posts here, I bought the WD20EURS drive.

So I have the new drive, my Tivo HD is open and the current hard drive removed - but I'm very overwhelmed with what to do next. I'm not very technically savvy, and reading through threads that are referenced a few pages back, I'm not sure what the proper steps that I need to take are. I'm afraid that I'm in over my head.

Could someone please point me to a specific set of instructions that I should follow? Maybe a YouTube video? Trying to piece together instructions from different threads scares me - I'm afraid I'm going to miss some steps and screw it all up.

I would like to clone my current Tivo drive onto the new 2TB drive (to keep all my recorded programs and settings), and then make sure that I'm using all of the hard drive space that I can. My computer is running Windows Vista, if that is important.

Thank you very much.
fatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #7897
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatpants View Post
Hi everyone. I've had many issues with my current drive freezing during playback, so I've decided to jump in and upgrade my Tivo HD to a larger drive. Reading through some posts here, I bought the WD20EURS drive.

So I have the new drive, my Tivo HD is open and the current hard drive removed - but I'm very overwhelmed with what to do next. I'm not very technically savvy, and reading through threads that are referenced a few pages back, I'm not sure what the proper steps that I need to take are. I'm afraid that I'm in over my head.

Could someone please point me to a specific set of instructions that I should follow? Maybe a YouTube video? Trying to piece together instructions from different threads scares me - I'm afraid I'm going to miss some steps and screw it all up.

I would like to clone my current Tivo drive onto the new 2TB drive (to keep all my recorded programs and settings), and then make sure that I'm using all of the hard drive space that I can. My computer is running Windows Vista, if that is important.

Thank you very much.
Here are the instructions for upgrading your TiVo HD to 2TB's of recording goodness using a program called jmfs...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179

The jmfs program for TiVo HD's is supplemented with another program called winMFS for one step called "Supersizing" which is not necessary but gains a few more hours of recording time. If you want to skip the Supersize step, that's fine. You can do it at any time, so if you wanted a little more space later you could do it then...it's just a little easier since the drive is already out.

AFAIK no one has made a YouTube video specific to that upgrade, although there are some out there. (FWIW to date I haven't seen one that's very good...they always seem to miss something or other, which is not a good thing.)

It may sound complicated to begin with, but just take one step at a time...don't skip or modify any and you should be just fine. If you're comfortable connecting a hard drive to a computer you shouldn't have much trouble...again, just take one step at a time. The most time will be the copy process which is bit-for-bit so can take a few hours to complete. Grab a cup of coffee and read a good book.

The only item that isn't included in the instructions is how to adjust the Intellipark setting (which can cause TiVo to hang at the initial boot up or during a menu restart). The program that you'll use is called wdidle3.exe. It's easy to use and the instructions are on the FAQ of this thread (first post) under Section IV, #29.

That's a good drive choice by the way as the AAM (auto acoustic management) is already set to the quietest level and won't need adjusting.

Again, just follow the steps carefully and you'll be fine. If you run into any issues just post your question on that forum and someone will generally respond right away.

Happy upgrading!

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Last edited by richsadams : 08-11-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 08-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #7898
fatpants

Thanks so much Rich for the response. I read through the instructions a few times to get a grasp on them... I still don't have 100% confidence, but so far so good. I'm currently in the middle of doing the copy. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
fatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #7899
dbenrosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenrosen View Post
It is a SFF Gateway, which explains the limited sata ports. I originally bought it for the kids to use, never thinking I would need the ports. Now it is the only pc i have in the house. I have a couple of macs which definitely aren't made for upgrading TiVo drives without USB to sata connectors.
Decided to buy the USB-to-SATA connector. I was trying to avoid this additional expense but didn't really see a viable option. I should be upgrading tonight or tomorrow.
dbenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #7900
lpwcomp

Quote:
Decided to buy the USB-to-SATA connector. I was trying to avoid this additional expense but didn't really see a viable option. I should be upgrading tonight or tomorrow.
What model is the new drive?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:39 AM   #7901
analog4

I have a TiVo HD and I replaced the internal drive 3 years ago with a Seagate ST31000340NS Barracuda ES.2 1TB - post here.

I work in computer storage, and that drive had a firmware update a long time ago (2+ years) that fixes a major issue. Before the TV season starts in a month I would like to update the firmware on the drive.

Is there any technical reason that the TiVo box itself would have a problem with me upgrading the firmware of the drive? I don't know if it has any sort of firmware checks to see if it's changed or not, or if it will care if it has been changed.
analog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #7902
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog4 View Post
I have a TiVo HD and I replaced the internal drive 3 years ago with a Seagate ST31000340NS Barracuda ES.2 1TB - post here.

I work in computer storage, and that drive had a firmware update a long time ago (2+ years) that fixes a major issue. Before the TV season starts in a month I would like to update the firmware on the drive.

Is there any technical reason that the TiVo box itself would have a problem with me upgrading the firmware of the drive? I don't know if it has any sort of firmware checks to see if it's changed or not, or if it will care if it has been changed.
No, the Tivo isn't going to care about the drive's firmware. It just sees it as a drive, the firmware or even make/model don't really matter to it.

Secondly, there's the old saying "don't fix what ain't broke". Might that be applicable to your setup? The Tivo is working and has been for 3 years. And you now want to crack it open and molest the drive. Because, why?

Upgrading the firmware isn't going to cause trouble, but cracking open the box and doing it wrong might...
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #7903
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog4 View Post

As I read the notice, it does sound like a potentially serious firmware bug, although your TiVo drive will rarely be power cycled and thus exposure should be minimal. I doubt that your TiVo would notice the firmware change. If you do tear into your TiVo, you might as well also buy another 2TB drive and clone (not expand, just image) your drive onto it, just in case. The clone drive would have to be at least as large as the Seagate. Backups are always good.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #7904
lpwcomp

Three years is about the point where TiVo drives start to have problems anyway. If you take it out to do the firmware upgrade, you should at least make a compressed backup just in case. Do it before you do the firmware upgrade. If you have a catastrophic hard drive crash, you don't want to be scrambling around for an image or have to buy InstantCake or a pre-imaged drive.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #7905
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
... It just sees it as a drive, the firmware or even make/model don't really matter to it...
Unless it's a Series 1. They are finicky about drives (and IDE/SATA adapters). Won't take a Caviar Blue of any kind, apparently.

Also, I had 2 identical Seagates. I could get one to work in an S1 just fine, and either to work with some other brand drive,with either as Master, but trying to use those 2 Seagates together caused boot to hang every time.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011

Last edited by unitron : 03-01-2012 at 04:22 AM.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #7906
myblubu

Quote:
I second this suggestion. It was painless to use a jmfs boot CD. The only thing I used WinMFS for was to do a final supersize once the copy and expansion was done from the old Tivo drive to the new one. That bumped me from 287 to 318 hours of HD recording. This one a WD20EURS drive (with the 4k jumper installed on pins 7-8).
I just orderd my 2nd Premiere and planning to upgrade it to a 2TB internal drive like I did my first one. I used the WD20EARS on my first Premiere and was planning on using the same for the new Premiere, but I'm curious, what is the 4k jumper installed on pins 7-8 on the WD20EURS? I don't recall changing any jumpers on any of the drives I used to upgrade my 2 THD's and the 1 Premiere. Was this a WD20EURS only thing? Only asking because based on Rich's comment below, I was starting to second guess my drive decision and maybe go with the WD20EURS instead of the WD20EARS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
With respect to the 1TB drives, the difference is nominal, about $10 now and at times it's less than that.

The only real advantage of the EURS over the EARS in a TiVo application is that the EURS already has the AAM set to the quietest level (128). You should be able to adjust the AAM on the EARS using HDDScan which is pretty easy...just an added step.

I say "should" because there are recent reports, specifically about the WD GP 2TB drives that indicate that you can no longer adjust the AAM (w/HDDscan).
All of that being said, the EARS drives (and in fact all of WD's GP drives) are very quiet out of the box and many folks never adjust the AAM. If the TiVo were in a bedroom or other situation where silence is golden, I guess I'd go for the A/V series like the EURS. Otherwise it's your call of course.
I was thinking of getting another WD20EARS drive to upgrade my 2nd Premiere like I did my first one. I used the DIY procedure on the forum and everything worked fine when I upgraded my THDs and the 1st Premiere - I adjusted the AAM & intellipark on each, so doing that isn't a problem for me. Since the WD20EARS is usally cheaper by a few bucks (now $75.99 vs $99.99 on Newegg), I went with that and planned to do so again. But has something changed now and the AAM can no longer be adjusted on the WD20EARS???
TiVo HD w/WD10EADS 1TB Internal (Lifetime)
myblubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #7907
analog4

Quote:
No, the Tivo isn't going to care about the drive's firmware. It just sees it as a drive, the firmware or even make/model don't really matter to it.

Secondly, there's the old saying "don't fix what ain't broke". Might that be applicable to your setup? The Tivo is working and has been for 3 years. And you now want to crack it open and molest the drive. Because, why?

Upgrading the firmware isn't going to cause trouble, but cracking open the box and doing it wrong might...
The issue has to do with the drives logging entries getting full, and it won't clear them upon reboot and it will brick the drive. With an always on device like a TiVo, it won't be doing much rebooting.

However, I'd hate to lose all of my shows and settings because I didn't take care of such a potentially serious issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
As I read the notice, it does sound like a potentially serious firmware bug, although your TiVo drive will rarely be power cycled and thus exposure should be minimal. I doubt that your TiVo would notice the firmware change. If you do tear into your TiVo, you might as well also buy another 2TB drive and clone (not expand, just image) your drive onto it, just in case. The clone drive would have to be at least as large as the Seagate. Backups are always good.
I do have another drive that I have in the Tivo HD - I could update the firmware on the spare drive and then make a backup to the spare one I have - just in case.

I will probably watch whatever content I have on it just so the time it takes to copy is less (and it's a good excuse to the remainder of the stuff I have on it watched or deleted).

The drive I have in there is an enterprise Seagate, so I'm pretty sure once the firmware update is set it will run pretty solid for a while. However, since I am opening it I could take the opportunity to put in a 2TB (or even just a newer 1TB) just to make sure.
analog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #7908
dbenrosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
What model is the new drive?
I went with the WD10EARS. My adapter didn't come Friday, so hopefully it will come today.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #7909
dbenrosen

How long should a backup from winmfs take? My original drive is connected via USB. It seems to be hung. All i see is the spinning circle for windows 7 with the backup window grayed out. The ETA is blank, the partition being copied says Processing... And the status bar is empty.It has been like this for about 20 minutes.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #7910
richsadams

Quote:
How long should a backup from winmfs take? My original drive is connected via USB. It seems to be hung. All i see is the spinning circle for windows 7 with the backup window grayed out. The ETA is blank, the partition being copied says Processing... And the status bar is empty.It has been like this for about 20 minutes.
It depends on what kind of backup you're performing. If it's a truncated back it will only take a few minutes if that. If you're copying all of your recordings, etc. it will take as long as it takes for the data to completely transfer and that of course depends on how many recordings you have and the speed of the data throughput. USB is the slowest of course.

Ignore the status bar, it's rarely accurate if ever.

Two suggestions...

If you want to see if the process is still running simply open your Task Manager and view the process. If it's active, it's working.

Sometimes a window will open "under" an existing window. If things looked stalled, move the current window around on your desktop to expose any that may have opened beneath it.

So if you're copying over all of your recordings, etc. it can take up to several hours via USB.

EDIT: I scanned back through your posts and it looks like you have an original Series3 and that you're going to save all of your recordings. That being the case, then yes, it will take a while.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #7911
dwit

Quote:
Are you doing/restoring a just a truncated back up, or are you copying programs(MFS Copy)?

Just doing a truncated back up should be pretty much immediate(iirc).

But if you are copying shows, it could take a few hours(many hours for usb and depending on how many shows).
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #7912
dbenrosen

Just doing a truncated backup. In task manager it says not responding as the status. Any thoughts?
Old 08-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #7913
richsadams

Quote:
Just doing a truncated backup. In task manager it says not responding as the status. Any thoughts?
So you connected your original TiVo drive to your computer and performed the truncated backup correct? And now you have the new drive connected and you're performing the upgrade/expand?

The reason I ask is that in one of your posts you indicated that you thought you needed both drives connected to your computer at the same time and that you purchased a SATA/USB adapter. If you just wanted to perform a truncated backup you don't need to connect both at the same time.

That said, if the process stalled for some reason, then of course you'll probably need to start over.

At what point in the upgrade process were you in? Post a few details just so we can be clear about what you're doing.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #7914
richsadams

dwit...I know you're lurking out there. Stay tuned if you will. I may have to bail to pick up friends at the airport pretty soon. If so, you can certainly jump in to assist dbenrosen with his upgrade.

Of course, you can jump in any time anyway!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #7915
dbenrosen

I have both drives connected to the computer. The original drive is connected via SATA/USB. The new drive is connected directly via SATA. I was attempting to make a truncated backup (for future safety) before I do I full copy to the new disk.

My PC is running Windows 7. I disconnected the DVD drive and have 3 disks connected. 1 is the Windows disk. The others are my new drive (via SATA to motherboard) and original TiVo (via USB/SATA). I guess I can just kill the process and start it over?
Old 08-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #7916
dbenrosen

It did create the empty file where it would save the backup. That appears to be as far as it has gone. I am "Running as Administrator" otherwise it doesn't see the disks.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #7917
richsadams

Quote:
I have both drives connected to the computer. The original drive is connected via SATA/USB. The new drive is connected directly via SATA. I was attempting to make a truncated backup (for future safety) before I do I full copy to the new disk.

My PC is running Windows 7. I disconnected the DVD drive and have 3 disks connected. 1 is the Windows disk. The others are my new drive (via SATA to motherboard) and original TiVo (via USB/SATA). I guess I can just kill the process and start it over?
Yes, I'd start over. If you follow the directions on the FAQ (Section V, #22a - TiVo Internal Upgrade Instructions: Preserves Settings Only) carefully you'll see that you only need one drive attached at a time (besides your Windows drive). Note that it says "Do not connect the replacement drive at this time. ".

So yes, I'd disconnect everything, reboot the computer just to be sure no cruft is left and start again. Follow the directions and you s/b good to go.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #7918
richsadams

Okay, I just read your post again...you do in fact want to do a "full copy" to save all of your recordings correct? So essentially you just wanted a truncated copy for safety's sake? No harm in that, it's just that you really should put the original drive on the shelf for safe keeping...there's really no better backup than that.

So now if I understand what you're doing, you do actually want to save all of your recordings so you will in fact want both drives attached at the same time and you'll be following the instructions in Section V, #22b of the FAQ. Apologies for the confusion...been a long day.

Hard to say then why the process stalled, but give it another go and let us know what happens...should be fine.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #7919
dbenrosen

I shut down, then connected the original drive directly using the SATA connection and left the blank/new drive disconnected. Same thing happens. Once I click Start, it creates the file and then hangs.

Another interesting thing, when I Select the drive, it says it is a Series 2 or 3 disk, but if I the select View->Mfsinfo that gives me a message that it is not a TiVo drive. I'm not sure if Mfsinfo should work, but it is kind of surprising.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #7920
richsadams

Quote:
I shut down, then connected the original drive directly using the SATA connection and left the blank/new drive disconnected. Same thing happens. Once I click Start, it creates the file and then hangs.

Another interesting thing, when I Select the drive, it says it is a Series 2 or 3 disk, but if I the select View->Mfsinfo that gives me a message that it is not a TiVo drive. I'm not sure if Mfsinfo should work, but it is kind of surprising.
Hmmm... Is the "donor" drive an original TiVo drive or one that you've already upgraded?