TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #3061
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Yes. You need to create symlinks in your share to point to the other direcrtories, then only share the one folder with all the symlinks in it.
Or not. There's nothing wrong with shaing both. I have multiple shares, one consisting only of hard links, all the others consisting of symlinks.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #3062
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjay829 View Post
thanks i was able to find a little program to make the symlinks but i was wondering where the files are actually saved or are they in both locations
A symlink is merely a pointer to a directory entry. Some operations, such as reading and writing, typically occur on the data contained in the file referenced by location pointed to by the symlink. Delete operations and certain ohter manipulations on a symlink, however, should only access the link, not the data. A symlink is typically less than 2K in size.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #3063
jbernardis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Princeton NJ
Posts: 1,063
The way I think of it is that a file is physically identified by a number, known as an inode. A directory entry is merely a reference to that inode. When you create a hard link, you are making a second reference to that same inode. The inode knows it is being pointed to by 2 (or more) directory entries. When you delete a file, you are actually deleting a directory entry and decrementing the reference count in the inode. When the reference count reaches 0, the inode is physically deleted and the space is freed. It is very difficult (if not impossible) to break a hard link.

A symbolic link is actually a directory entry that refers symbolically to another directory entry. The inode reference count in this case is still 1. If you delete the actual directory entry, you also delete the inode, and the symbolic link is now broken. If you delete the symbolic link, the original entry, and therefore the inode, knows nothing of what you did.
__________________
2 Series 3
1 HDTivo
1 Series 1 (Lifetime)
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #3064
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
The way I think of it is that a file is physically identified by a number, known as an inode.
Only on *nix file systems, and not on all file systems on *nix computers, at that. I don't think the ISO 9600 file system employs indoes, for example, even when mounted on a *nix computer. I couldn't swear to it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
A directory entry is merely a reference to that inode.
Only on *nix systems. Windows file systems handle things quite a bit differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
When you create a hard link, you are making a second reference to that same inode. The inode knows it is being pointed to by 2 (or more) directory entries. When you delete a file, you are actually deleting a directory entry and decrementing the reference count in the inode. When the reference count reaches 0, the inode is physically deleted and the space is freed. It is very difficult (if not impossible) to break a hard link.
That's in *nix. Windows actually does suport hard links on NTFS file systems, but they are arcane and difficult to create and manage. Consequently, no one uses (and few people even know about) hard links in Windows.

That's also why one can freely move files in *nix, as long as the movement does not span logical volumes, without disturbing any reads or writes that are underway. I frequently rename files while the application is writing them. Try that in Windows and it whines about the file being in use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
A symbolic link is actually a directory entry that refers symbolically to another directory entry. The inode reference count in this case is still 1.
Windows symlinks, or "shortcuts" as they are called, work similarly in some respects and differently in others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
If you delete the actual directory entry, you also delete the inode, and the symbolic link is now broken.
Well, not quite. As you mention, there can be multiple hard links, and deleting only one when there exists more than one does not free up the inode. (One does not actually delete an inode, and even when the hard link counter reaches zero, the inode is not released if some process has the file open.) Nonetheless, if the hard link happens to be the directory entry to which the symlink points, then the symlink is broken, even though the inode is still in use by the file. What's more, one does not have to delete the hard link. Simply renaming it will break the symlink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
If you delete the symbolic link, the original entry, and therefore the inode, knows nothing of what you did.
Or rename it, move it to another drive, whatever. As long as the directory entry to which the symlink points remains unchanged, however, the symlink remains intact. It is noteworthy hard links cannot span logical volumes, which symlinks can. Moving or copying a symlink happens in the blink of an eye. Moving a hard link within the confines of a mount point is similarly instantaneous, but issuing a mv command from one volume to another can takes hours or even days, depending on the size of the file and the transfer speed of the I/O system. What actually happens in this case is the file is copied to the foreign file system, a new hard link is created, and the hard link counter for the old inode is decremented by one. If the hard link counter is then zero, the inode is released.

Last edited by lrhorer : 07-12-2011 at 05:16 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #3065
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moline, IL
Posts: 4,075
I'm not sure I'd agree with all your statements, lrhorer. I frequently use hardlinks in Windows using the FSUTIL command with the appropriate hardlink create switches, and find it quite a bit more convenient to reference the same file by two different applications. It may be just good timing on my part, but I've not encountered the "file in use" problem with such files. Testing the number of links a files has can be accomplished with the HLSCAN command found in various Resource Kits or Support Tools for Windows.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:55 AM   #3066
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
I'm not sure I'd agree with all your statements, lrhorer. I frequently use hardlinks in Windows using the FSUTIL command with the appropriate hardlink create switches, and find it quite a bit more convenient to reference the same file by two different applications.
Yes, but how many people know about the FSUTIL command or how to use it? What's more, it only works on NTFS file systems, not FAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
It may be just good timing on my part, but I've not encountered the "file in use" problem with such files.
I think you misunderstand. Forget about FSUTIL. Take a large file, say a video file, and perform some sort of write operation on it. As an example, take, say, a 10GB file named video.mpg and in one window, issue the command

Code:
copy video.mpg video1.mpg
Depending on the speed of your I/O subsystem, that should take at least a few minutes to complete. Now in a second window, issue the command

Code:
ren video1.mpg video2.mpg
You will get an error. Try:

Code:
move video1.mpg <directory name>
and you will get the same error. You will also get the same error if you try dragging the file from one window to another. Try doing the same thing with an ftp client, and you will get the same error.

Not so with Linux. I have scripts, for example, that perform automatic file processing, including moving the files to specific directories and renaming them, while programs like kmttg, VideoRedo, or VAP are creating them. I never have to worrry about whther the apps are done writing to the files, or any such nonsense. I just rename them and / or move them however and wherever I like, as long as I don't attempt to move them outside of the mount point. I never have to wait for a web download to complete in order to rename or move the file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
Testing the number of links a files has can be accomplished with the HLSCAN command found in various Resource Kits or Support Tools for Windows.
I never claimed otherwise. Again, however, how many people know about HLSCAN?

Last edited by lrhorer : 07-13-2011 at 02:02 AM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #3067
enclave000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 11
subs

does this support subtitles in mkv files?
enclave000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:21 AM   #3068
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless
 
wmcbrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by enclave000 View Post
does this support subtitles in mkv files?
Nope.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:16 PM   #3069
innocentfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,444
I am wondering if my Premiere is dying or if there is something with PyTiVo pushes that my TiVo is hiccuping on. In the last month my TiVo started rebooting, and I noticed this only happens during a push. Sometimes I have no issues and then sometimes a couple episodes will transfer fine and then reboot in the middle of another transfer.

Any ideas?

This is over a wired connection and my PC is sending them from my WHS via a network share. I am usually pushing AVIs or MKVs. It may just be a bug in 14.8, but I wasn't sure if you knew of anything else that might cause this.
__________________
1 - TiVo Roamio Pro
2 - TiVo Premiere XL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #3070
toddeades
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 32
I've been trying to get pyTivo working for a few days. While I've been able to get the Push to work I can't get the list of videos to be shown on the NPL.

I see the "MyMovies" option at the bottom on the NPL but I when I select it, it says that I don't have any recordings.

Here is my config:

HTML Code:
[Server]
port = 9032
ffmpeg = c:\Program Files\pyTivo\bin\ffmpeg.exe
tivo_password = xxxxxx
tivo_username = xxxxxx
debug = true
tivodecode = C:\Program Files\pyTivo\bin
beacon = 192.168.0.255

[MyMovies]
type = video
path = c:\videos

[_tivo_SD]

[_tivo_HD]
I do see this message on the console when I select "MyMovies" on my tivo.

HTML Code:
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.0.117 [26/Jul/2011 17:53:02] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=Query
Container&Container=%2F HTTP/1.0" 200 -
ERROR:pyTivo:Exception during request from ('192.168.0.116', 33021)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python27\lib\SocketServer.py", line 582, in process_request_thread
    self.finish_request(request, client_address)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\SocketServer.py", line 323, in finish_request
    self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
  File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\httpserver.py", line 64, in __init__
    client_address, server)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\SocketServer.py", line 639, in __init__
    self.handle()
  File "C:\Python27\lib\BaseHTTPServer.py", line 343, in handle
    self.handle_one_request()
  File "C:\Python27\lib\BaseHTTPServer.py", line 313, in handle_one_request
    self.raw_requestline = self.rfile.readline(65537)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\socket.py", line 476, in readline
    data = self._sock.recv(self._rbufsize)
error: [Errno 10035] A non-blocking socket operation could not be completed imme
diately
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.0.116 [26/Jul/2011 17:55:02] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=Query
Container&Container=%2F HTTP/1.0" 200 -
A Few Notes:
  • I'm running the latest "master" version from wmcbrine from this location:

http://repo.or.cz/w/pyTivo/wmcbrine....6b58c75dcb.zip
  • I have UDP port 5353 open
  • I've even just turned off the Windows Firewall.
  • I have Vuze installed and I use it to copy videos to my Tivos. I've tried with it running and not running, can't get pyTivo working either way.
  • I have Tivo Desktop installed but have the server stopped.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Todd
toddeades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #3071
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless
 
wmcbrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,921
Huh, that's a new one. And this is repeatable -- the same message every time?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #3072
toddeades
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Huh, that's a new one. And this is repeatable -- the same message every time?
Yes, every time.

I was trying to think what might make my computer different and the only think I came up with was that I had pyTivo installed a couple of years ago as a Service. I couldn't figure out how to remove the services so I just disabled it. Deleted the entire contents of the pytivo folder and copied the new code base over.

Other then that I can't think of anything.
toddeades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #3073
bwall23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddeades View Post
I've been trying to get pyTivo working for a few days. While I've been able to get the Push to work I can't get the list of videos to be shown on the NPL.

I see the "MyMovies" option at the bottom on the NPL but I when I select it, it says that I don't have any recordings.

Here is my config:

HTML Code:
[Server]
port = 9032
ffmpeg = c:\Program Files\pyTivo\bin\ffmpeg.exe
tivo_password = xxxxxx
tivo_username = xxxxxx
debug = true
tivodecode = C:\Program Files\pyTivo\bin
beacon = 192.168.0.255

[MyMovies]
type = video
path = c:\videos

[_tivo_SD]

[_tivo_HD]
I do see this message on the console when I select "MyMovies" on my tivo.

HTML Code:
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.0.117 [26/Jul/2011 17:53:02] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=Query
Container&Container=%2F HTTP/1.0" 200 -
ERROR:pyTivo:Exception during request from ('192.168.0.116', 33021)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python27\lib\SocketServer.py", line 582, in process_request_thread
    self.finish_request(request, client_address)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\SocketServer.py", line 323, in finish_request
    self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
  File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\httpserver.py", line 64, in __init__
    client_address, server)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\SocketServer.py", line 639, in __init__
    self.handle()
  File "C:\Python27\lib\BaseHTTPServer.py", line 343, in handle
    self.handle_one_request()
  File "C:\Python27\lib\BaseHTTPServer.py", line 313, in handle_one_request
    self.raw_requestline = self.rfile.readline(65537)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\socket.py", line 476, in readline
    data = self._sock.recv(self._rbufsize)
error: [Errno 10035] A non-blocking socket operation could not be completed imme
diately
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.0.116 [26/Jul/2011 17:55:02] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=Query
Container&Container=%2F HTTP/1.0" 200 -
A Few Notes:
  • I'm running the latest "master" version from wmcbrine from this location:

http://repo.or.cz/w/pyTivo/wmcbrine....6b58c75dcb.zip
  • I have UDP port 5353 open
  • I've even just turned off the Windows Firewall.
  • I have Vuze installed and I use it to copy videos to my Tivos. I've tried with it running and not running, can't get pyTivo working either way.
  • I have Tivo Desktop installed but have the server stopped.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Todd
If you're running it on Vista or Win7, install it to a different directory. If installed to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) you will have problems.

I setup a pyTivo.cmd file to launch it since double-clicking the pytivo.py file would not start python.

pyTivo.cmd file contents;
Code:
C:
CD C:\path_where_you_extracted_pytivo
C:\path_where_python_is_installed\python.exe "C:\path_where_you_extracted_pytivo\pyTivo.py"
EXIT
Replace C:\path_where_you_extracted_pytivo with the path to your pyTivo installation. In my case it's C:\pyTivo

Replace C:\path_where_python_is_installed with the path to your Python installation. In my case it's C:\Python26, in your case it's C:\Python27

So the example would be;
pyTivo.cmd file contents;
Code:
C:
CD C:\pyTivo
C:\Python27\python.exe "C:\pyTivo\pyTivo.py"
EXIT

bwall23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:19 AM   #3074
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless
 
wmcbrine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 View Post
If you're running it on Vista or Win7, install it to a different directory.
I really don't think that's the issue here. Not that I have anything helpful to offer in its place yet.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #3075
toddeades
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I really don't think that's the issue here. Not that I have anything helpful to offer in its place yet.
I tried moving it out of the program file folder and I'm getting the same errors.
toddeades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #3076
loganasu
I'm a lurker
 
loganasu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 276
Not able to pull

I am having trouble pulling files off of the TiVo.

The following is from my log:

Code:
INFO:pyTivo.beacon:Announcing shares...
INFO:pyTivo.beacon:Registering: MyMovies
INFO:pyTivo.beacon:Scanning for TiVos...
INFO:pyTivo.beacon:HDTivo
INFO:pyTivo.beacon:LivingRoom
INFO:pyTivo.beacon:Life-Down
INFO:pyTivo:pyTivo is ready.
INFO:pyTivo:10.0.0.10 [07/Aug/2011 11:38:51] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryCont
ainer&Container=%2F&DoGenres=1 HTTP/1.0" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:10.0.0.11 [07/Aug/2011 11:38:51] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryCont
ainer&Container=%2F HTTP/1.0" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:10.0.0.6 [07/Aug/2011 11:38:52] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryConta
iner&Container=%2F HTTP/1.0" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:10.0.0.104 [07/Aug/2011 11:39:06] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:10.0.0.104 [07/Aug/2011 11:39:06] "GET /main.css HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:10.0.0.104 [07/Aug/2011 11:39:11] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=NPL&Cont
ainer=ToGo&TiVo=10.0.0.10 HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:10.0.0.104 [07/Aug/2011 11:39:11] "GET /main.css HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:10.0.0.104 [07/Aug/2011 11:39:11] "GET /folder.png HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:10.0.0.104 [07/Aug/2011 11:39:11] "GET /soon.png HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:10.0.0.104 [07/Aug/2011 11:39:11] "GET /nocopy.png HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:10.0.0.104 [07/Aug/2011 11:39:11] "GET /expired.png HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:10.0.0.104 [07/Aug/2011 11:39:13] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=NPL&Cont
ainer=ToGo&Folder=37283&TiVo=10.0.0.10 HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:10.0.0.104 [07/Aug/2011 11:39:13] "GET /main.css HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:10.0.0.104 [07/Aug/2011 11:39:13] "GET /back.png HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:10.0.0.104 [07/Aug/2011 11:39:13] "GET /expired.png HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo.togo:[07/Aug/2011 11:39:21] Queued "http://10.0.0.10:80/download/Who
se Line Is It Anyway?.TiVo?Container=/NowPlaying&id=640429" for transfer to E:\M
edia\Media\Tivo
INFO:pyTivo:10.0.0.104 [07/Aug/2011 11:39:21] "POST /TiVoConnect HTTP/1.1" 200 -

INFO:pyTivo:10.0.0.104 [07/Aug/2011 11:39:27] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=NPL&Cont
ainer=ToGo&Folder=37283&TiVo=10.0.0.10 HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:10.0.0.104 [07/Aug/2011 11:39:27] "GET /main.css HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:10.0.0.104 [07/Aug/2011 11:39:27] "GET /back.png HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:10.0.0.104 [07/Aug/2011 11:39:27] "GET /expired.png HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo.togo:[07/Aug/2011 11:39:27] Start getting "E:\Media\Media\Tivo\Whose
 Line Is It Anyway? - 640429.TiVo" from LivingRoom
Unhandled exception in thread started by <unbound method ToGo.process_queue>
ERROR:pyTivo:Exception in pyTivo
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\togo\togo.py", line 299, in process_queu
e
    self.get_tivo_file(tivoIP, url, mak, togo_path)
  File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\togo\togo.py", line 250, in get_tivo_fil
e
    f = open(outfile, 'wb')
IOError: [Errno 22] invalid mode ('wb') or filename: 'E:\\Media\\Media\\Tivo\\Wh
ose Line Is It Anyway? - 640429.TiVo'

And here is the pytivo.conf:
Code:
[Server]
port = 9032
ffmpeg = C:\Program Files\pyTivo\bin\ffmpeg.exe
tivo_password = XXXXXXXX
tivo_username = XXXXXXXX
tivo_mak = ################
togo_path = E:\Media\Media\Tivo

[MyMovies]
type = video
path = E:\Media

[_tivo_SD]

[_tivo_HD]



Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
loganasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #3077
windracer
joined the 10k club
 
windracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: St. Pete, FL
Posts: 11,222
My guess is it's the question mark in the show name:

Code:
IOError: [Errno 22] invalid mode ('wb') or filename: 'E:\\Media\\Media\\Tivo\\Wh
ose Line Is It Anyway? - 640429.TiVo'
It looks like you're running pyTivo on Windows, which doesn't support the question mark in a file name. I thought pyTivo was supposed to strip out those 'special' characters but I could be wrong. Can you try transferring a different show and see if it works?
__________________
840~Roamio Pro (TA, MoCA) + two A92~Minis, 758~Premiere XL4 (TA, MoCA)
S/old: 746~S4, 658~HDXL, 648~OLED S3, 565~TX20, 230~S2, 140~S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #3078
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 8,860
This looks like an invalid path to me:
Code:
togo_path = E:\Media\Media\Tivo
I'm guessing it has an extra \Media that shouldn't be there.
__________________
Roamio Pro (GigE)
Elite (MoCA)
Premiere (MoCA adapter)
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #3079
loganasu
I'm a lurker
 
loganasu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 276
Thanks for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
My guess is it's the question mark in the show name:

Code:
IOError: [Errno 22] invalid mode ('wb') or filename: 'E:\\Media\\Media\\Tivo\\Wh
ose Line Is It Anyway? - 640429.TiVo'
It looks like you're running pyTivo on Windows, which doesn't support the question mark in a file name. I thought pyTivo was supposed to strip out those 'special' characters but I could be wrong. Can you try transferring a different show and see if it works?

I got that with all of the shows that I attempted, but it's working for everything else now.
now I wonder if all of my tests were with the same show just different episode.



Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
This looks like an invalid path to me:
Code:
togo_path = E:\Media\Media\Tivo
I'm guessing it has an extra \Media that shouldn't be there.
This is the correct path. Had a reason for this naming convention, but it's obsolete now.



Is there a way to strip out the special characters?
loganasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #3080
thomb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mill Creek, WA
Posts: 59
How do you run pyTivo as a service in Windows 7?? Pytivo works fine if I manually launch it and keep the window open.

I followed the directions in the pyTivo wiki:
1) Installed "pywin32"
2) tried running pyTivoService.py from a DOS prompt, but got an error message:
Quote:
Installing service pyTivo
Error installing service: Access is denied. (5)
What did I do wrong?
thomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #3081
caddyroger
Registered User
 
caddyroger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Some where out west
Posts: 1,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomb View Post
How do you run pyTivo as a service in Windows 7?? Pytivo works fine if I manually launch it and keep the window open.

I followed the directions in the pyTivo wiki:
1) Installed "pywin32"
2) tried running pyTivoService.py from a DOS prompt, but got an error message:


What did I do wrong?
Did you try installing this as a administrator rights?
__________________
Caddy
caddyroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #3082
thomb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mill Creek, WA
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
Did you try installing this as a administrator rights?
Thanks Caddyroger. That fixed it.
thomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #3083
innocentfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,444
Other than .TiVo format what is the fastest file format to transfer via Push for recorded TV?

I have a HD recording in MPG format which I pushed to the TiVo Premiere. It is taking a really long time though so I am wondering why.

From mediainfo on the file
Code:
General
Format                           : MPEG-PS
File size                        : 4.55 GiB
Duration                         : 1h 2mn
Overall bit rate                 : 10.4 Mbps

Video
ID                               : 224 (0xE0)
Format                           : MPEG Video
Format version                   : Version 2
Format profile                   : Main@High
Format settings, BVOP            : Yes
Format settings, Matrix          : Custom
Duration                         : 1h 2mn
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 10.1 Mbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 80.0 Mbps
Width                            : 1 920 pixels
Height                           : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps
Standard                         : Component
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Interlaced
Scan order                       : Bottom Field First
Compression mode                 : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.163
Stream size                      : 4.46 GiB (98%)

Text #1
ID                               : 224 (0xE0)-608-1
Format                           : EIA-608
Muxing mode                      : A/53 / DTVCC Transport
Muxing mode, more info           : Muxed in Video #1
Stream size                      : 0.00 Byte (0%)

Text #2
ID                               : 224 (0xE0)-608-2
Format                           : EIA-608
Muxing mode                      : A/53 / DTVCC Transport
Muxing mode, more info           : Muxed in Video #1
Stream size                      : 0.00 Byte (0%)

Text #3
ID                               : 224 (0xE0)-1
Format                           : EIA-708
Muxing mode                      : A/53 / DTVCC Transport
Muxing mode, more info           : Muxed in Video #1
Stream size                      : 0.00 Byte (0%)

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #3084
lrhorer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Other than .TiVo format what is the fastest file format to transfer via Push for recorded TV?
An H.264 file in an MPEG4 container transfers more than 4 times faster than the same content encoded as MPEG2 on my S3 and THD machines*. If I transfer a 720p program on my S3s, even with both tuners disabled I still encounter pauses unless I allow about 90 seconds of buffering for a 22 minute program. If I recode to an h.264 .mp4 file using VideoRedo TVSuite, the same program will transfer to my S3 with both tuners active in a little over 7 minutes. Even on my THD, it will transfer in less than 10 minutes.

Most 1080i MPEG2 content will transfer at real time or just a bit better to my S3s with both tuners disabled, unless the bit rate exceeds 17 Mbps average. If I recode to .mp4, a 90 minute movie will transfer in about 30 minutes, and I don't have to bother to disable the tuners.

* - Using the default compression employed by VRD when recoding an MPEG2 file to h.264. This results in about a 30% reduction in file size. It is possible greater compression might yield even faster transfers, but at the potential cost of additional artifacts in the video.

Last edited by lrhorer : 08-11-2011 at 12:56 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #3085
innocentfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,444
What I am doing is using MC-TVconverter to just remove the WTV container to expose the Mpeg2 similar to using KMTTG to remove the .TiVo container.

I wonder if his default settings are messing with it then. It also didn't transfer correctly so TiVo displays it like it is a zoomed out SD show where it is boxed on all four sides.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #3086
innocentfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,444
It is looking like at this point it may not matter since my TiVo has started rebooting every time I push a file to the Premiere.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #3087
jcthorne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,868
Did you try pushing a properly formatted mp4 file as lrhorer suggested? Sending improperly formated media to tivo can cause all sorts of problems. Lock ups among them. Tivo does not support windows 7 wtv files, they will need to be converted to h264 and ac3 in a mp4 container. Lots of help and utilities to accomplish the task available here.
__________________
Current : Roamio Base with 2TB drive and 2 Premieres, OTA. kmttg, pyTivo, running with a Synology 1511 NAS....serving up the world.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #3088
innocentfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Did you try pushing a properly formatted mp4 file as lrhorer suggested? Sending improperly formated media to tivo can cause all sorts of problems. Lock ups among them. Tivo does not support windows 7 wtv files, they will need to be converted to h264 and ac3 in a mp4 container. Lots of help and utilities to accomplish the task available here.
No I haven't had another chance to mess with it yet.

I guess I was going off the assumption MPG would be easier since when KMTTG decrypts the .TiVo file you are left with just an MPG so I was trying to do the same with WTV. It could also be an issue with the profile that they wrote into the MC-TVconverter.

Trying MP4 now and I don't think this is going to work for us. MP4 just takes way too long to convert from WTV since we record so much.

Last edited by innocentfreak : 08-13-2011 at 12:02 PM.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:50 PM   #3089
jsheinz1234
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: LA,CA
Posts: 49
I have been using Pytivo for quite a while now (Current version installed 2009), but have recently "cut the cord" and cancelled Cable TV, so want to update to the latest version. (sounds like it has video push? And hoping to get pictures working?)

How do I update to the most recent version without jacking my current install?

Last edited by jsheinz1234 : 08-13-2011 at 09:57 PM.
jsheinz1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #3090
johnjay829
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheinz1234 View Post
I have been using Pytivo for quite a while now (Current version installed 2009), but have recently "cut the cord" and cancelled Cable TV, so want to update to the latest version. (sounds like it has video push? And hoping to get pictures working?)

How do I update to the most recent version without jacking my current install?
You just have to download the zip for the lastest release if you are using windows can't help with linux. Extract to the pytivo folder and that should be fine it will ask to overwrite the files there just say yes. If you like just make a backup of your pitivo folder.
johnjay829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |