TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #1171
pdm

I couldn't convince the tech on the phone rolling a truck wasn't going to fix it. If one channel is having problems, sure seems like its a problem on their end. I wish there was a way we could all reference the same problem so they know its wide spread. I can't break past the first tier tech support. Wonder if the national cable card support line would help.
pdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:31 PM   #1172
Austin_Martin

Comedy Central hd isn't working for me either in Round Rock,tx (subburb of austin)
Austin_Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #1173
pdm

Anyone call to complain yet?
Old 07-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #1174
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Bingo... Exactly the same as mine.

I have and S3, THD and Premiere and have seen it on all three.

We got 1402 yesterday... Ill be watching closely
Well... I didnt have to watch too long. Caught it red handed tonight. S3 recording fine... Premiere had black screen and was on the wrong frequency. The TA's and the S3 were all on the same frequency, the Premiere was the odd man out.

Bummer...
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #1175
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Well... I didnt have to watch too long. Caught it red handed tonight. S3 recording fine... Premiere had black screen and was on the wrong frequency. The TA's and the S3 were all on the same frequency, the Premiere was the odd man out.

Bummer...
It's probably just my imagination but it seems like the tuning failures have become slightly more frequent with 1402. I noticed FDC at -4 dBmV and RDC at 39 and thought maybe those were a little marginal (both low). Then after a forced reboot due to a power outage tonight, FDC at -2 and RDC at 43. Apparently they don't automatically re-adjust until a reboot (?).

I'm trying to think of any other device in which I've had less confidence of reliable performance than the TiVo/TA combination, and yet which I've put up with for an extended period. Normally I would trash can it and get something better -- but that's not available ---- yet.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #1176
pdm

I can report that CC HD works for me again. I dont know how it got fixed, but I had just spent 55 minutes on the phone with time warner trying to take showtime package off before the free trial ended (they gave it to me for free to comp for extended outage a few months ago). 55 minutes to get showtime taken off.

Happy CC works now, but i'm pretty sure I'm just going to get rid of cabletv and Tivo entirely within the next few months. So tired of this half working crap.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #1177
dpratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdm View Post
I can report that CC HD works for me again. I dont know how it got fixed, but I had just spent 55 minutes on the phone with time warner trying to take showtime package off before the free trial ended (they gave it to me for free to comp for extended outage a few months ago). 55 minutes to get showtime taken off.

Happy CC works now, but i'm pretty sure I'm just going to get rid of cabletv and Tivo entirely within the next few months. So tired of this half working crap.
It's still broken for me - did you have to walk them through fixing it, or did it just magically happen?
dpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #1178
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpratt View Post
It's still broken for me - did you have to walk them through fixing it, or did it just magically happen?
This should be fixed for Central Texas now. We had it fixed yesterday but another problem showed up.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #1179
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy763 View Post
This should be fixed for Central Texas now. We had it fixed yesterday but another problem showed up.
Cool, thanks for posting!
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #1180
hammer32
TiVo Combat Crew

CCHD is back on in Copperas Cove, TX as well. I moved here two weeks ago and noticed the installer left a box behind. Turns out it was the tuning adapter (didn't have to use one with Cox in Nebraska). After hooking it up and going through the entire line-up I noticed about 20 channels I wasn't getting.

Three CSRs told me I couldn't get HD channels with my CableCards, so I made them send a truck out. In the end the only channel I wasn't getting was CCHD, the rest were listed in the TiVo guide, but not TW's paper channel list (which the first installer didn't have a copy of).

The TiVo line-up folks have told me to use a Waco zip code instead and I'm 1.5 hours into Guided Setup again...

Sony SVR-2000 SA
TiVo Series 2 SA
TiVo Series 3 HD
hammer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:34 PM   #1181
TracyL

Hawaii people...

Toddb from hawaii wrote: I'm hoping the update makes it so that I don't have to reboot the TA every few weeks.

Todd and any other Hawaii tivo premiere users ,
I'm trying to find other Hawaii Tivo premeire users with cable cards and tuning adapters.

If you are having to re-set, ping, send a hit, to your adapter everry 28 days or so because your sdv goes out please contact me.

I have had this issue for several months now and know it's because Hawaii time warner has set up the accounts that deal with these devices to NOT roll over every month. The adapter bricks itself because the subscription doesn't continue. THis is why we have to manualy call in a hit around every 28 days when the SDV goes out so the subscripton restarts again. I have spoken with ___who is apparently the top tier person in Hawaii and while he is nice he admited he's only done 3 premiere boxes on the island and the others are having the same problem. I told him it proves the system is at fault not the equipment. Also it's too much of a coincidence both of my adapters fail at the same time/ billing schedual. He called some other main hawaii programing source who obviously knows nothing as they both now want to switch out my two cable cards and tuning adapters (I have two tivo boxes) Switching out any of the devices won't solve the problem. They need to fix it in their system so we continue to have pings being sent to and from the adapter and tivo. It's not a tivo issue. Time Warner Hawaii has to re provision the system so the subscription doesn't end every month.

If you are having this issue please contact me as I want to find as many people as possible here so we can get this issue addressed and taken care of by a higher level, possibly on the mainland. It is apparently a quick fix that doesn't involve anyone needing to come to your place or have the phyisical equipment. Many mainland people have solved it over the phone with time warner programers who know the deal.
TracyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #1182
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyL View Post
........I'm trying to find other Hawaii Tivo premeire users with cable cards and tuning adapters.

If you are having to re-set, ping, send a hit, to your adapter everry 28 days or so because your sdv goes out please contact me.
Are the TA's Cisco? Are you getting 8-blinks-pause? This is a well known issue. We had it in TWC SW Ohio and there was a thread devoted to it:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=447167
Apparently the subscription (authorization) for the TA has be be renewed by TWC running a computer script every week or so. There was some hope that a software mod for the TA's would eliminate this requirement, but even the latest version, 1402, recently pushed, didin't do it.

You can see the exact time your TA will start blinking in the TA Diagnostic screens under "PowerKEY Information" then hit NextPage twice. It's called "Sub Expires". If properly refreshed by TWC this date should always be at least 20 days in the future.

What imaginable advantage does TWC gain by requiring these refreshes? You're not going to get any digital channels unless your CableCARD(s) is/are authorized anyway.

and
Old 08-26-2011, 12:22 AM   #1183
kkopp

I am another Honolulu, Hawaii user. I noticed they recently updated the TA to firmware 1402. I've had some issues like "The tuning adapter cannot validate the Cablecard". Then, yesterday, the issues seem to correct themselves. I suspect it may have to do with the subscription ending as you mentioned.
kkopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #1184
dreamwish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyL View Post
Toddb from hawaii wrote: I'm hoping the update makes it so that I don't have to reboot the TA every few weeks.

Todd and any other Hawaii tivo premiere users ,
I'm trying to find other Hawaii Tivo premeire users with cable cards and tuning adapters.

Hi TracyL...

I'm in Honolulu on TW Oceanic, and have to reboot both my S3 and TivoHD every month because of the Tuning Adapters. Let me know what I can do. Thanks!
dreamwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #1185
macd2

I'm in Cary, NC and am having reception problems with CCHD. I have heavy pixelation and the sounds cuts in and out. Other channels work fine. CCHD comes in fine with the TWC box in another room.
Is this related to other people's issues with CCHD? What can I do to fix this?
macd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #1186
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Signal quality is the likely suspect.

In DVR Diagnostics, what are: Signal Strength (at least 80), SNR (at least 32 dB) and RS Error Counts (ideally zeros) ? And are the error counts increasing as you watch? What are the signal strengths on your other channels? Are they all down in the lower 80's or below?

Can you move the TiVo to use the cable feed in the other room, to see if that fixes it?

You may need to tighten connections and replace or reconfigure splitters to correct signal quality. If there are no indications of a signal problem then the channel signal itself might be the problem. It's hard to imagine a TiVo defect that would affect just one channel.

The TA could be attenuating the input signal if it's defective. However it's hard to explain it affecting just one channel.

and
Old 09-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #1187
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I'm pretty sure TW Austin just pushed a tuning adapter firmware update overnight. My unit has STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1501 this morning. Since Austin is usually first to push this stuff, I'm passing along the info in case you need to ask your cableco for the latest firmware.

Hoping the blank recordings bug is addressed. My Tivo has consistently missed recording stuff on AMC-HD, SYFY-HD, SPEED-HD and Cartoon Network HD due to the bug.
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #1188
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
I'm pretty sure TW Austin just pushed a tuning adapter firmware update overnight. My unit has STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1501 this morning. Since Austin is usually first to push this stuff, I'm passing along the info in case you need to ask your cableco for the latest firmware.

Hoping the blank recordings bug is addressed. My Tivo has consistently missed recording stuff on AMC-HD, SYFY-HD, SPEED-HD and Cartoon Network HD due to the bug.
Hope springs eternal! Another blank recording (a.k.a. sdv tuning failure) sufferer here. Good luck with asking my TWC system (Southwest Ohio) about something like this though. They never pushed .1202 and then went to .1402 in August when I think they all had to do it because of an FCC reg.

and
Old 09-29-2011, 11:56 PM   #1189
Eccles
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager
Weird, I've had a TA since they beta'd here in Austin and I can only recall one or two missed recordings in all that time that weren't due to a total outage in our area.
150-hour Premiere XL (Lifetime)
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #1190
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Completely out in Cincinnati!!! Anyone else???

Reboot isn't working... Can't acquire any channels... Anyone else?

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360
dolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #1191
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Macd..Im in Cincinnati and CCHD is one of the most problematic channels. I miss recordings on it frequently. Much more than other channels. Cartoon HD stinks too...

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360

Last edited by dolfer : 10-01-2011 at 12:42 PM.
dolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #1192
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccles View Post
Weird, I've had a TA since they beta'd here in Austin and I can only recall one or two missed recordings in all that time that weren't due to a total outage in our area.
I've got a original Series 3 that must use 2 cablecards. Maybe it's more reliable dealing with the Tivo HD with one multi-stream card? Maybe your neighborhood has fewer total viewers competing for a channel?
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:33 AM   #1193
chris.chandler

Question Motorola TA Blinks and Blinks -- TWC Los Angeles

Just bought to Premiere Tivos and picked up cable cards and TAs from the local office.

Both TAs on both boxes blink yellow continuously. I have black screens for the (apparently SDV) channels above 170. I was on with tech support today for over and hour and the guy, who seemed reasonably well informed couldn't figure out why the neither box could lock in.

I've got a tech coming out to my house in two days, but if there are thoughts and suggestions I could try in the meantime, I'd appreciate it.
chris.chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #1194
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.chandler View Post
Just bought to Premiere Tivos and picked up cable cards and TAs from the local office.

Both TAs on both boxes blink yellow continuously. I have black screens for the (apparently SDV) channels above 170. I was on with tech support today for over and hour and the guy, who seemed reasonably well informed couldn't figure out why the neither box could lock in.

I've got a tech coming out to my house in two days, but if there are thoughts and suggestions I could try in the meantime, I'd appreciate it.
Try and get customer service to send a CLD (Cold Intilize) RHT (Refresh) hits to the tuning adapters and make sure that they have the proper tuning adapter codes added to them.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #1195
GM80

New service issues

Just had TWC hook up digital HD service (Wichita Falls, TX) to my two Premieres with two CableCARDs and two Motorola tuning adapters. One setup seems to be working fine, but has some weird signal strength readings. The other set generally works in terms of receiving channels, but has two recurring issues:

1. Every recording we've made stops cold after about 20 minutes, and
2. Channels we're watching live often disappear into digital break-up after about 20 minutes, leaving the TiVo "searching for signal." Signal strength related? Tuning adapter related?

Here's some stats from the setup that does work but has signal issues that worry me:

Tuning Adapter Diagnostics, Downstream menu
OOB Freq SNR: 24dB
Inband Freq SNR: 36dB

DVR Diagnostics menu
Signal strength: 36
SNR: 29dB
RS Corrected is incrementing by 1000-2500 per second, 1400 RS Uncorrected over the past week.

From the one that doesn't work reliably:

OOB Freq SNR: 20dB
Inband Freq SNR: 37dB

DVR Diagnostics menu
Signal strength: 84
SNR: 36dB
RS Corrected and Uncorrected both at 0

Any ideas or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by GM80 : 10-02-2011 at 02:37 PM.
GM80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #1196
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM80 View Post
Just had TWC hook up digital HD service (Wichita Falls, TX) to my two Premieres with two CableCARDs and two Motorola tuning adapters. One setup seems to be working fine, but has some weird signal strength readings. The other set generally works in terms of receiving channels, but has two recurring issues:

1. Every recording we've made stops cold after about 20 minutes, and
2. Channels we're watching live often disappear into digital break-up after about 20 minutes, leaving the TiVo "searching for signal." Signal strength related? Tuning adapter related?

Here's some stats from the setup that does work but has signal issues that worry me:

OOB Freq SNR: 24dB
Inband Freq SNR: 36dB

DVR Diagnostics menu
Signal strength: 36
SNR: 29dB
RS Corrected is incrementing by 1000-2500 per second, 1400 RS Uncorrected over the past week.

From the one that doesn't work reliably:

OOB Freq SNR: 20dB
Inband Freq SNR: 37dB

DVR Diagnostics menu
Signal strength: 84
SNR: 36dB
RS Corrected and Uncorrected both at 0

Any ideas or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

I would check the cable between the TA and the TiVo. Both TA's stats look good but the non working TiVo stats are not good... so I would say its either the cable between TA and TiVo.. the pass thru circuitry in the TA or something with the TiVo itself
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #1197
macd2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Signal quality is the likely suspect.
In DVR Diagnostics, what are: Signal Strength (at least 80), SNR (at least 32 dB) and RS Error Counts (ideally zeros) ? And are the error counts increasing as you watch? What are the signal strengths on your other channels? Are they all down in the lower 80's or below?
I found another channel that also is having issues.
Both happen to be using the 741000 Khz frequency.
Signal Strength is 45
SNR is 27dB
RS Uncorrected counter increases rapidly.

A "good" channel, using 693000KHz,
had a signal strength of 75, SNR of 33db, and RS counters of 0.
macd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #1198
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by macd2 View Post
I found another channel that also is having issues.
Both happen to be using the 741000 Khz frequency.
Signal Strength is 45
SNR is 27dB
RS Uncorrected counter increases rapidly.

A "good" channel, using 693000KHz,
had a signal strength of 75, SNR of 33db, and RS counters of 0.
You definitely have weak signals. Maybe a bad splitter or a connection that needs re-tighteniing? (Since you aren't having problems at your other cable drop.)

There's still the remote possibility your TA is defective and attenuating the signals.

and
Old 10-04-2011, 08:28 AM   #1199
Todd B.

Just got firmware .1501 in Honolulu tonight.

TracyL, sorry, I can't corroborate your experience. I have a Tivo HD. My biggest issues were having to reset just the TA every 2-3 weeks, because it would not be able to tune some or all SDV channels, and occasional missed recordings because "signal was not available" (failed tune). Since firmware .1402, I no longer seem to need to reset the TA periodically, but I still have failed tunes, maybe once every other week or so; about the same frequency as before.

I've never had to periodically re-send auth signals. I did have to do it a few times when I first got the TA in early 2009. But after a few months, I stopped having to do it. I posted about it then in the "TWC Hawaii moving all HD to SDV" thread.
Todd B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #1200
RTPGiants

I hate to be "that guy" in this thread again, but...

The tuning adapter had been working pretty well all summer. But now over the last few weeks, I have issues recording pretty much every switched channel. The behavior is basically always:
* Tivo attempts to tune
* Tivo records black
* Tivo later reports "video signal was unavailable"

If you catch it while it's doing this and stop the recording, Tivo re-tunes the channel and it works fine. Recording at that point works without a problem. It also never fails just browsing channels, only when it's doing a timed record that requires an automatic tune.

It still seems to me as if Tivo does something "different" when it's auto-tuning versus when the person is watching.
RTPGiants is offline   Reply With Quote