TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > Developers Corner
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #301
jbernardis

1. The sorting was deliberate. I chose to sort in title number order. Perhaps I can make this into some type of option.

2. So let me get this straight - you want the description - on both the main screen and the info screen - to contain the titles. It's simple enough to include the text, but formatting might be an issue. Inserting text into a view does not, to my knowledge, have a rich set of text formatting tools. Even something so simple as starting on a new line is difficult - I don't know what happens if a new line character is in the text. Let me do some experimenting and I'll let you know.

Glad it's working for you otherwise

EDIT: after thinking about it, adding a list of titles to the info screen wouldn't be difficult - they're already there - it's just a matter of where they are placed. Also, on the info screen, I am managing the display lines myself to allow the two column layout I am using - so it's no big deal to add additional text like this.

The description on the details screen, however, has the issues discussed above.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jbernardis : 07-18-2011 at 09:16 AM.
jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #302
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
1. The sorting was deliberate. I chose to sort in title number order. Perhaps I can make this into some type of option.
That was just me being stupid. I simply changed 3 and 4 to 03 and 04, etc. in the directory names. Unless someone else sees this as necessary, I don't see a need for it.

Quote:
2. So let me get this straight - you want the description - on both the main screen and the info screen - to contain the titles.
Or potentially other items separated by a newline. The ability to indent would be nice, too.

Mainly the intent is to have the subdirectory info available when the folder is highlighted without having to move away from the current directory level.

Quote:
It's simple enough to include the text, but formatting might be an issue. Inserting text into a view does not, to my knowledge, have a rich set of text formatting tools. Even something so simple as starting on a new line is difficult
Yeah, that's what I figured. The indent might be even tougher.

Quote:
I don't know what happens if a new line character is in the text. Let me do some experimenting and I'll let you know.
OK.

Quote:
EDIT: after thinking about it, adding a list of titles to the info screen wouldn't be difficult - they're already there - it's just a matter of where they are placed. Also, on the info screen, I am managing the display lines myself to allow the two column layout I am using - so it's no big deal to add additional text like this.

The description on the details screen, however, has the issues discussed above.
Yeah, understood. What I am looking for, as you can see, is the ability to list the contents of the subdirectory without having to drill into something.

Last edited by lrhorer : 07-18-2011 at 10:39 AM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #303
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Mainly the intent is to have the subdirectory info available when the folder is highlighted without having to move away from the current directory level.
What I am looking for, as you can see, is the ability to list the contents of the subdirectory without having to drill into something.
You should have this already. When the hilite is on the DVD Folder line - where the icon is a DVD - if you press the info button, you can see the titles, in title order, in amongst the other meta data. Of course this only happens if you have the titles in the metadata.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #304
lrhorer

Quote:
You should have this already. When the hilite is on the DVD Folder line - where the icon is a DVD - if you press the info button, you can see the titles, in title order, in amongst the other meta data. Of course this only happens if you have the titles in the metadata.
Well, actually, no, it doesn't. Evidently your code processes the last "description :" line and discards the others. When I put the following in default.txt

Code:
seriesTitle : The Twilight Zone
description : Volume 43
description : This is test 2
description : This is test 3
description : This is test 4.
isEpisode : true
All that shows up in the description window is the text

Code:
This is test 4.
and the only description line displayed in the info pop-up is

Code:
Description      This is test 4.
Getting back to the main point, however: even if the text showed up in the info pop-up, that still requires moving away from the current level. Basically, I am looking for something that is on the screen (in the description window) without having to drill into something, such as pressing the <Info> button or the Right Arrow key. I realize that it may be too difficult to implement to be practical, in which case the request will have to be abandoned, but if not, then I think it would be a good feature.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #305
jbernardis

Quote:
Well, actually, no, it doesn't. Evidently your code processes the last "description :" line and discards the others. When I put the following in default.txt

Code:
description : Volume 43
description : This is test 2
description : This is test 3
description : This is test 4.
All that shows up in the description window is the text

Code:
This is test 4.
and the only description line displayed in the info pop-up is

Code:
Description      This is test 4.
Actually that's accurate and the same way that pytivo does it (since it's the same code basically - or at least it was) Description is a multiline field - it should be entered all together with no new lines in between:

Code:
description : Volume 43. This is test 2. This is test 3. This is test 4.
If you have multiple description lines, each line will successively overwrite the previous, and the last one will be the only one that is kept.

Also, if you have Title information in the metadata:
Code:
Title 1: This is Title 1
Title 2: This is Title 2
Title 3: This is Title 3
then the titles will show up in the information pop-up for the DVD folder (although NOT in the description on the main screen)

Old 07-19-2011, 02:17 AM   #306
lrhorer

Quote:
When the hilite is on the DVD Folder line - where the icon is a DVD - if you press the info button, you can see the titles, in title order, in amongst the other meta data.
Oh, I see. When you said, "titles", I was thinking "descriptions".

Is the <Info> button supposed to work on folders in regular shares? I've never had default.txt files in the directories before, but after having put several in the DVD share directories, I put one in a regular share directory. The description shows up in the description panel, but pressing the <info> button elicits a "Bonk!". It works on individual videos and in the DVD share, but not in directories in the regular video shares.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:37 AM   #307
jbernardis

Quote:
Is the <Info> button supposed to work on folders in regular shares? I've never had default.txt files in the directories before, but after having put several in the DVD share directories, I put one in a regular share directory. The description shows up in the description panel, but pressing the <info> button elicits a "Bonk!". It works on individual videos and in the DVD share, but not in directories in the regular video shares.
Historically no - when the app was first developed, there was no metadata for folders at all. At some point someone asked to support description on the main screen, so I added the folder.txt to support that, but the only data item of interest was the description.

Then later, when I added support for the info pop-up, I felt that since all that was there for folders was the description, I needn't support folders on the pop-up. But the app actually supports generic folder meta data with no way to currently get at anything other than the description. The info pop-up would be a good place for this.

Let me work on this. I think I will still have the bonk if there is no metadata for the folder.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #308
jbernardis

Verson 0.7a is now on git. Two changes: 1) added support for info pop-up screen for folders. Current behavior of a bonk sound will continue if there is no metadata available. 2) I am now more defensive if icon files are missing - no icon is displayed instead of an exception being raised.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #309
lrhorer

Did I mention you really rock?
Old 07-21-2011, 01:06 AM   #310
lrhorer

Uh-oh. Something's broken, again, and it looks like it's icon related, again. I looked through the icons, and can't find anything obvious:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/SocketServer.py", line 560, in process_request_thread
    self.finish_request(request, client_address)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/SocketServer.py", line 322, in finish_request
    self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
  File "/usr/share/pyhme/start.py", line 141, in __init__
    client_address, server)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/SocketServer.py", line 617, in __init__
    self.handle()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/BaseHTTPServer.py", line 329, in handle
    self.handle_one_request()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/BaseHTTPServer.py", line 323, in handle_one_request
    method()
  File "/usr/share/pyhme/start.py", line 232, in do_GET
    self._page(True)
  File "/usr/share/pyhme/start.py", line 186, in _page
    appinst.mainloop()
  File "/usr/share/pyhme/hme.py", line 1134, in mainloop
    while self.active and self.get_event():
  File "/usr/share/pyhme/hme.py", line 1215, in get_event
    handle()
  File "/usr/share/pyhme/vidmgr/__init__.py", line 338, in handle_active
    self.drawScreen()
  File "/usr/share/pyhme/vidmgr/__init__.py", line 800, in drawScreen
    self.drawScreenShares()
  File "/usr/share/pyhme/vidmgr/__init__.py", line 894, in drawScreenShares
    if self.listing[sx]['icon'] == None:
IndexError: list index out of range

Old 07-21-2011, 08:02 AM   #311
jbernardis

Stupid code-copying error - version 0.7b is now up on git with the fix

Old 07-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #312
lrhorer

I've come across an anomaly. One of the DVDs has a whole bunch of titles, but as is sometimes the case, the titles are not numbered consecutively. I don't know if that has anything to do with the issue, but vidmgr is not properly handling the titles. The DVD Plug-in apparently is, however. I have the default.txt file set to ignore everything but Title 1 and Title 8. I have a specific metafile for Title 8, but not Title 1. The DVD plugin properly shows and transfers the two videos, but vidmgr only shows one. No errors are generated.

default.txt:
Code:
title : The Mark of Zorro
movieYear : 1940
description : Posing as a foppish coward, Spanish nobleman Diego (Tyrone Power) fights injustice in colonial California. Upon his return from Spain, Diego realizes that Captain Pasquale (Basil Rathbone) is terrorizing the district and levying unreasonable taxes. Disguised as Zorro -- a masked swashbuckler -- the young Spaniard menaces the local authorities, to the delight of all the peasants and his beloved (Linda Darnell).
Title 0 : ignore
Title 1 : The Mark of Zorro
Title 3 : ignore
Title 5 : ignore
Title 6 : ignore
Title 8 : The Last Idol - A&E Biography of Tyrone Power
Title 11 : ignore
Title 12 : ignore
Title 13 : ignore
Title 14 : ignore
Title 15 : ignore
Title 17 : ignore
Title 19 : ignore
starRating : x5
mpaaRating : N8
vProgramGenre : Action & Adventure
vProgramGenre : Classic Movies
vProgramGenre : Classic Action & Adventure
vDirector : Rouben Mamoulian
vActor : Tyrone Power
vActor : Linda Darnell
vActor : Basil Rathbone
vActor : Gale Sondergaard
vActor : Eugene Pallette
vActor : J. Edward Bromberg
vActor : Montagu Love
vActor : Janet Beecher
vActor : George Regas
vActor : Chris-Pin Martin
vActor : Robert Lowery
__T08.mpg.txt:
Code:
title : The Last Idol - A&E Biography of Tyrone Power
movieYear : 1996
description : A&E investigates the life and career of film star Tyrone Power.
starRating : x5
mpaaRating : N8
vProgramGenre : Biography
vProgramGenre : Documentary
vDirector : Elizabeth Bronstein
vActor : Richard Kiley
vActor : Frederick Lawrence Guiles
vActor : J. Watson Webb Jr.
vActor : Evie Wynn Johnson
vActor : Roddy McDowall
vActor : Annabella Power
vActor : Alice Faye
vActor : Linda Christian
vActor : Piper Laurie
vActor : Taryn Power
vActor : Terry Moore
vActor : Tyrone Power

Old 07-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #313
jbernardis

Quote:
I've come across an anomaly. One of the DVDs has a whole bunch of titles, but as is sometimes the case, the titles are not numbered consecutively. I don't know if that has anything to do with the issue, but vidmgr is not properly handling the titles. The DVD Plug-in apparently is, however. I have the default.txt file set to ignore everything but Title 1 and Title 8. I have a specific metafile for Title 8, but not Title 1. The DVD plugin properly shows and transfers the two videos, but vidmgr only shows one. No errors are generated.
Not entirely sure if this is the issue or not, but vidmgr does not know how many Titles it is going to find in the metadata, so it starts at Title 0 and keeps incrementing until it finds a gap. In your case, it won't find Title 8 because there are gaps in the sequence.

I guess I can alter the logic to find all of the keys that match Title xx.

I'm not sure the effect it would have on the dvdvideo plugin, but if you put in ignore lines for the intervening titles, at lease vidmgr would be happy. This would also be a good experiment for me to know if this is the issue.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #314
lrhorer

Yes, padding the default.txt file with the additional titles seems to make vidmgr happy, and doesn't seem to have any affect on the DVD plug-in. I just noticed something else, though. It looks like vidmgr is pulling the info for actors, director, writers, etc from default.txt, rather than __Txx.mpg.txt. The way vigmgr handles the "Title x :" entries is a bit distracting, too.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #315
jbernardis

Quote:
Yes, padding the default.txt file with the additional titles seems to make vidmgr happy, and doesn't seem to have any affect on the DVD plug-in. I just noticed something else, though. It looks like vidmgr is pulling the info for actors, director, writers, etc from default.txt, rather than __Txx.mpg.txt. The way vigmgr handles the "Title x :" entries is a bit distracting, too.
to the first point - I chose to use the same metadata strategy that pytivo uses. Basically it searches for default.txt, <filename>.txt, .meta/default.txt and then .meta/<filename>.txt in that order. If multiple files are found, their contents are merged, so if they have the same keys, a subsequent file will overwrite the same key from a previous file. The only exception to this is the keys that start with a v that usually consist of a list of names. The existing metadata logic will merge this data from ALL of the files it finds.

This seemed like reasonable logic (although I feel that the two default.txt files should be searched before either of the <filename>.txt files) so I just kept it.

As far as the second point, I assume you are referring to the fact that I list the titles on the pop-up infor screen. Again, this was a conscious decision because I wanted to provide that information without requiring that you dive into that "directory".

I am not really using this feature, so if there is a concensus that others want it some other way, I am open to changes. Just give me some requirements.

BTW - did you try the changes I emailed to you? If that works, I want to post it to GIT.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #316
lrhorer

Quote:
to the first point - I chose to use the same metadata strategy that pytivo uses. Basically it searches for default.txt, <filename>.txt, .meta/default.txt and then .meta/<filename>.txt in that order. If multiple files are found, their contents are merged, so if they have the same keys, a subsequent file will overwrite the same key from a previous file. The only exception to this is the keys that start with a v that usually consist of a list of names. The existing metadata logic will merge this data from ALL of the files it finds.
That doesn't work very well with DVDs. First of all, the individual titles may have only one detail in common. For example, on the DVD Seabiscuit, the extra documentary does not have any of the actors, the director, or anything else in common with the main video. In The Mark of Zorro, the biography of Tyrone Power only has Tyrone Power in common with the main title. Alfred Hitchcock did not direct The Ghost Goes West, nor are any of the other actors from The 39 Steps other than Robert Donat in the film, but the app displays the text from both files so it looks like Alfred Hitchcock directed and a ton of others starred in The Ghost Goes West. I suppose I could create a specific metafile for the primary film and exclude everything from default.txt. I'll give it a shot.

Quote:
As far as the second point, I assume you are referring to the fact that I list the titles on the pop-up infor screen. Again, this was a conscious decision because I wanted to provide that information without requiring that you dive into that "directory".
Yeah, but they are listed oddly. First of all, an alphabetic sort, rather than an alphanumeric sort, looks a bit weird. Secondly, it seems to eliminate the text prior to the last hit on the description. Listing all the fields with no sort (other than what is sorted in the metafile), but excluding any "ignore" lines would be better, I think.

Quote:
BTW - did you try the changes I emailed to you? If that works, I want to post it to GIT.
'Just did. It looks like it is working.

Last edited by lrhorer : 07-24-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #317
lrhorer

Quote:
I suppose I could create a specific metafile for the primary film and exclude everything from default.txt. I'll give it a shot.
Wait, that doesn't really work, either. Then the main folder is missing a bunch of stuff. IMO, the specific files, if they exist, should replace everything in default.txt.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #318
thomb

I'm sure I've configured something wrong here, hopefully someone can suggest a fix or three -

My goal is to copy 250+ DVDs to my primary windows 7 box and have them accessible from my 2 Tivo HD boxes. Here's what I've done so far -
1) Install Python
2) Install pyTivo
3) Install HME
4) Install Video Manager
5) Install DVD Decrypter
6) Install MetaGenerator

My first pass at installing everything last night was mostly successful. I am able to rip my DVDs and then transfer them to either Tivo box (pulled from the Tivo). However, when I start hme I get a couple errors:
A) "Not using Zeroconf:" (i see this setting in the hme config.ini file set as False, but I'm not sure what it does).
B) "Cache file does not exist - no thumbnails loaded"

And then a message stating "Server Starts", so I'm not sure what problems A & B are causing me, but I suspect HME or video manager is not working correctly for me. From the TV, all I see is the classic Tivo user interface - Now Playing > MyMovies > {the names of the DVDs I've ripped} and the metadata for the movies - except for:
C) No cover art is showing on the Tivo

Finally, the last issue is from a navigation perspective:
D) In order to view the metadata on any movie the navigation is - Now Playing > MyMovies > Gattaca > Video_ts > Gattaca > {and then you can finally read about Uma}. Clearly this is coming from my Windows directories, but is it possible to see the Gattaca listing once and never see Video_ts? That would eliminate two clicks each time. Are there settings to avoid this directory structure or do I have to do it manually for each DVD?
thomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #319
jbernardis

Don't worry about message B - that is normal on the first startup - there is no cache yet.

Message A is from the hme code itself - usually it means it is unable to import the Zeroconf module, but you also state that it is set as false in the config.ini file - perhaps that is why you are seeing the message.

Zeroconf allows pytivo and pyhme to both find the tivos on the network and to advertise their own services without any specific configuration on your part (hence the name zeroconf). Others on this forum are more versed in this than I am.

As far as your other statements - if you are going through the now playing list, then you are not using vidmgr. pytivo is what is showing the directory structure in this case. If you want to use vidmgr, you need to go into the "Music, Photos, and Showcases" (at least that's what it's called on my S3), wait for the list to be built, and then choose "Pytivo Video Manager" from there.

Get that done, and then we can see where you are.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #320
thomb

Quote:
... if you are going through the now playing list, then you are not using vidmgr. pytivo is what is showing the directory structure in this case. If you want to use vidmgr, you need to go into the "Music, Photos, and Showcases" (at least that's what it's called on my S3), wait for the list to be built, and then choose "Pytivo Video Manager" from there.
That's what I suspected - my HME is messed up somehow. None of the HME apps are showing up in the "music, photos..." menu. Here's my config.ini:
==================
[hmeserver]
port=7288
address=192.168.1.100
zeroconf=False
basepath=D:\Program Files (x86)\pyhme
datapath=d:\
apps=picture clock vidmgr

[picture]
path=d:\pictures
delay=2
exts=.jpg .png

[vidmgr]
exts=.mpg .mp4 .avi .wmv .m4v

[tivos]
tivo1.name=Downstairs
tivo1.tsn=652-0001-abcd-efgh
tivo2.name=Kitchen
tivo2.tsn=652-0001-ijkl-mnop

[pytivos]
pytivo1.config=D:\Program Files (x86)\pytivo\pyTivo.conf
pytivo1.ip=192.168.1.100
pytivo1.port=9032
pytivo1.sep=\
==========================
Old 07-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #321
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Just take out the zeroconf=False line. Why is it there?

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #322
thomb

Thanks that fixed it, hme is correctly launching the apps. However, now when I go into vidmgr (from the Tivo) it shows my folder structure, but no videos show up.

Edit:
Problem solved. It seems that I had forgotten to add the .vob extension to the file types in the config.ini. Once I added it everything magically began to show up.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Last edited by thomb : 07-27-2011 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Solved issue
Old 07-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #323
lrhorer

That should not be necessary, and may not work properly.

If you are ripping your entire DVD to File, then you need pyTivo to set up a virtual file system in order to be able to transfer any or all titles from the DVD. To do this, you need to rip each DVD to a separate directory containing at a minimum a VIDEO_TS directory which holds all the .IFO and .VOB files. In addition, each DVD's directory can optionally contain:

folder.jpg - cover art for the entire folder
default.txt - metadata for the folder
__Txx.mpg.txt - metadata for each title, where xx is the title number
__Txx.mpg.jpg - cover art for each title

Note the first two can be contained in any directory of the DVD share. In order to share these DVDs, however, you will need a section in pyTivo's pyTivo.conf file like the following:

Code:
[DVD]
path = d:\RAID\DVD
force_alpha = True
type = dvdvideo
fast_index = true
So, for example, I have a Robert Donat DVD with two movies on it, The 39 Steps and The Ghost Goes West. Here is the contents of "/RAID/DVD/39 Steps":

Code:
RAID-Server:/RAID/DVD/39 Steps# ll
total 144
drwxrwxrwx  3 lrhorer lrhorer  4096 Jul 26 22:09 .
drwxrwxrwx 54 root    root     4096 Jul 24 13:05 ..
-rwxrw-rw-  1 lrhorer lrhorer   715 Jul 23 06:49 default.txt
-rw-rw-rw-  1 lrhorer lrhorer 33999 Jul 14 01:01 folder.jpg
-rw-rw-rw-  1 lrhorer lrhorer 34648 Jul 14 01:01 __T02.mpg.jpg
-rwxrw-rw-  1 lrhorer lrhorer   857 Jul 26 22:09 __T02.mpg.txt
-rw-rw-rw-  1 lrhorer lrhorer 33999 Jul 14 01:01 __T03.mpg.jpg
-rw-rw-rw-  1 lrhorer lrhorer   962 Jul  1 19:01 __T03.mpg.txt
drwxrwxrwx  2 lrhorer lrhorer  4096 Jun 12 15:52 VIDEO_TS
Title 0 and Title 1 are not videos I care to have on the TiVo in this case, so in default.txt I have:

Code:
movieYear : 1935
description : Robert Donat stars in two 1935 films, Alfred Hitchcock's "The 39 Steps" and Rene Clair's comedy "The Ghost Goes West".
Title 0: Ignore
Title 1: Ignore
Title 2: The Ghost Goes West
Title 3: The 39 Steps
__T02.mpg.jpg is the cover art for The Ghost Goes West, __T02.mpg.txt is its metafile, __T03.mpg.jpg is the cover art for The 39 Steps, and of course __T03.mpg.txt is its metadata.

Also, I have four different Harry Potter films still on DVD, so I collect them under a single directory, but I want cover art and metadata for the folder, so in the "/RAID/DVD/Harry Potter" directory I have:

Code:
RAID-Server:/RAID/DVD/Harry Potter# ll
total 156
drwxrwxrwx  6 lrhorer lrhorer   4096 Jul 21 00:49 .
drwxrwxrwx 54 root    root      4096 Jul 24 13:05 ..
drwxrwxrwx  3 lrhorer lrhorer     56 Jul 15 21:10 and the Chamber of Secrets
drwxrwxrwx  3 lrhorer lrhorer     56 Jul 16 21:11 and the Goblet of Fire
drwxrwxrwx  3 lrhorer lrhorer     56 Jul 16 21:11 and the Prisoner of Azkaban
drwxrwxrwx  3 lrhorer lrhorer    122 Jul 26 22:26 and the Sorcerer's Stone
-rwxr--r--  1 lrhorer lrhorer 139436 Jun 14 02:48 folder.jpg
I'll be adding a default.txt file to the directory when I get the chance.

Last edited by lrhorer : 07-27-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #324
lrhorer

Now this is not the only way to skin this cat. You can rip the DVD to IFO or to ISO and wind up getting the video to the TiVo, but if you have multi-title DVDs, DVDs with extra features you like, or DVDs with alternate audio tracks you want to manage, then the PyTivo DVD plug-in is the quickest and easiest way to publish the DVD. Jbernardis, the author of vidmgr, prefers to rip to h.24 files for several reasons, as do others, so there is no "right" or "wrong" method, but I definitely prefer the DVD-plug-in.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:17 AM   #325
jcthorne

I would like to present an idea I have been mulling over for video manager. See what others think, especially Jbernardis since it is HIS program :-)

A the moment, vidmgr presents a directory of movies in the same hiearchy as the file system on the server. In my case:

Movies
-Genre
--Title

Since vidmger has available to it the year, title, genre, major actors, it would be really cool if the films could be sorted by these items rather than in just filepath order. You could use the same button tivo does in the myshows list to toggle between them. If so the files could better be managed in a flat file path.

Now I realize this would require vidmgr to build a db in the background of all the pertinant data, but the data is there and it does not have to be done before the first normal directory is displayed, only available after the db is built and cached. Harmonium works much this way now for music. I would not see this being done for tv shows but only for movies, but others may have ideas on how to do this as well.

I looked at lrhorer's method of using symlinks but its just too much on going work to maintain and asking for some sort of automation under windows....well, beyond the scope of most current software. I thought an extension of vidmgr that does this would eliminate the need for most of that and make finding a film much easier.

Heck the db could be built ahead of time by the user and stored as a spreadsheet or other common and easily editable file type.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #326
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Harmonium works much this way now for music.
Galleon can do that as well (although I personally never use that feature). I believe everything is stored in an Apache Derby database.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #327
jcthorne

Can Galleon have pytivo PUSH an mp4? Has it been updated to HD menus? I admit to never having actually tried Galleon but I like the menus and graphics we have in vidmgr now, just was hoping for a bit more functionality.

Last edited by jcthorne : 07-28-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #328
windracer
joined the 10k club

No, Galleon doesn't interact with pyTivo at all. I was just pointing out another example of an app that can parse metadata (MP3 tags in this case) and present different sorting/filtering options to the user.

Galleon does have a GoBack feature for video files, which I used sparingly back in the old days before pyTivo, streambaby, and vidmgr.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:16 AM   #329
lrhorer

Quote:
I looked at lrhorer's method of using symlinks but its just too much on going work to maintain
I don't do any maintenance, at all. The scripts take care of all the work.

Quote:
and asking for some sort of automation under windows....well, beyond the scope of most current software. I thought an extension of vidmgr that does this would eliminate the need for most of that and make finding a film much easier.
That's definitely a non-trivial request.

Isn't your Synology NAS Linux based? Why not just modify the scripts I use for use on the Synology system? They will automatically create and delete shares sorted by date, genre, alpha groups, etc.

Quote:
Heck the db could be built ahead of time by the user and stored as a spreadsheet or other common and easily editable file type.
I do have the scripts create a database, but I've never made any real use of it.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:01 AM   #330
jcthorne

That would be beyond my current linux capabilities or desire to learn. I no longer run pytivo or vidmgr on the synology box either. I had those two running fine and then started working toward java and harmonium and really mucked up the works. I failed the primary purpose of the NAS...the RAID. I got all the data back and reflashed the NAS back to an updated stock configuration and went back to running all the interface software under windows since the small interface server that used to function as file server was not going away. It does downloads, pytivo, harmonium and system backups.

Anyway, I am back to running all this under windows. The files are all on the NAS. If you think you can give me the scripts and a bit of direction, I'll give them a go under windows. What language are they in?

I did realize my suggested addition to vidmgr was not trivial. Just thought that managing the vids and presenting them in various sort orders was a logical next step if Jbernardis is interested.