TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #8011
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
Are they really charging $8.50 for each cable card to have access to HD? I thought there was ONE HD access fee associated per account.

I'm now supposed to pay upwards of $120 a month for freaking cable with HD, HBO, and an HD receiver.
Are you referring to a Comcast provided HD receiver or your own Tivo? If you have only a Tivo on the account you may be able to avoid the HD Technology fee. I have two Tivos and 3 cablecards and do not pay an HD Technology fee. And now, they have added a credit of $2.50 for each customer provided equipment (Tivo).

Is the $8.50 listed as an HD Technology fee or is it an additional digital outlet? You may pay an additional outlet fee of approx. $8-9 for each additional Tivo/Comcast receiver after the first one. That fee includes the cost of the cablecard.

YMMV
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #8012
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
Are you referring to a Comcast provided HD receiver or your own Tivo? If you have only a Tivo on the account you may be able to avoid the HD Technology fee. I have two Tivos and 3 cablecards and do not pay an HD Technology fee. And now, they have added a credit of $2.50 for each customer provided equipment (Tivo).

Is the $8.50 listed as an HD Technology fee or is it an additional digital outlet? You may pay an additional outlet fee of approx. $8-9 for each additional Tivo/Comcast receiver after the first one. That fee includes the cost of the cablecard.

YMMV
I have:
A comcast HD box
A Premiere with one cable card
a Series 3 with 2 cable cards.

I am being charged for:

Digital preferred: ~$75
Cable card: $1.50
HD Outlet fee x 3 (@8.50 each) = $25.50
HBO: $15.95

Total: $117.95

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #8013
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Oh and the HD is listed as:

HDTV Service 3 @$8.50each

Old 07-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #8014
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan
Oh and the HD is listed as:

HDTV Service 3 @$8.50each
Ask them to remove the HD Service 'temporarily' . You'll still get HD but no charge. I did and do.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #8015
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Oh how I'd love to do that, but they have managed to screw **** up just looking at my account. Right now, I have a series 3 that on one tuner gets all the channels I pay for while the other tuner only gets HBOHD and no other HD channels. It's insanity.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #8016
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Also, guys...I was looking at another vendor here and they said that all they had were single stream cards. I thought that cards had to be multistream by now.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #8017
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Also, guys...I was looking at another vendor here and they said that all they had were single stream cards. I thought that cards had to be multistream by now.
Cable companies have to give you M cards if you request them starting August 1st. As far as I'm aware though, S cards aren't being made anymore, so any ones the cable company has would be older returned ones.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #8018
husky55

Quote:
Oh how I'd love to do that, but they have managed to screw **** up just looking at my account. Right now, I have a series 3 that on one tuner gets all the channels I pay for while the other tuner only gets HBOHD and no other HD channels. It's insanity.
It's definitely insanity!!!! Are you talking about the 2 tuners on the same Tivo?

I got HBO and SH and other premium channel on 1 M-Card on 1 Tivo HD and not on the other M-Card on the other Tivo Premiere.. Truck roll today to fix it!!!!

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #8019
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky55 View Post
It's definitely insanity!!!! Are you talking about the 2 tuners on the same Tivo?

I got HBO and SH and other premium channel on 1 M-Card on 1 Tivo HD and not on the other M-Card on the other Tivo Premiere.. Truck roll today to fix it!!!!
Yeah, the same tivo.

You know what's sad? Your problem doesn't need a truck roll. The idiots in the back office can fix it by just using the right subscription codes.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:10 AM   #8020
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Also, I think I'm going to flip my lid pretty soon. I emailed the guy that has been helping me with the issue of not having HD on the second tuner in my series 3 and guess what...He says that in order to get HD on my second tuner, I have to pay a SECOND HD ACCESS fee of $8.50 a month. I have 3 HDTVs and they want me to pay $34 a month for HD access. I don't want to give up Tivo, but I don't know what to do...

Old 07-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #8021
drhankz

Quote:
Also, I think I'm going to flip my lid pretty soon. I emailed the guy that has been helping me with the issue of not having HD on the second tuner in my series 3 and guess what...He says that in order to get HD on my second tuner, I have to pay a SECOND HD ACCESS fee of $8.50 a month. I have 3 HDTVs and they want me to pay $34 a month for HD access. I don't want to give up Tivo, but I don't know what to do...
I know this will not HELP - but each Comcast Fee is negotiated with
your local town. There is no STANDARD across the Comcast Territory.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #8022
a68oliver

@DavidTigerFan. Have you tried Comcast Cares yet? They were helpful in getting my billing corrected.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #8023
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
@DavidTigerFan. Have you tried Comcast Cares yet? They were helpful in getting my billing corrected.
I just contacted them an hour ago. We'll see what happens. I just find it completely ridiculous that I'm expected to pay:

$76 base rate
$1.50 Cable Card
$34 HD access fees (4x$8.50)
$15.95 for HBO
for a total of $127.45

all I get is Video!

Old 07-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #8024
danjw1

Quote:
Use this form. Someone who knows what they are doing should call you within 24 hours.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #8025
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Hah, the corporate office just called the local guy and got him to call me. The same guy that is giving me the runaround on the freaking charges.

Can you guys do me a favor. Can you post how many HDTVs you have, how many cable cards you have, and what you pay for them?

Old 07-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #8026
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Can you guys do me a favor. Can you post how many HDTVs you have, how many cable cards you have, and what you pay for them?
That probably won't be particularly useful since each local Comcast system charges different prices. Comcast has to send out a rate card periodically with prices for your area on it and what the charges apply to. This year the rate card for my area came via email.

In my case, I'm on a double play package so I pay a flat $99 plus a $9.25 HD technology fee for my one Comcast provided HD box. I have 4 cableCARDs (2 S cards and 2 M Cards) for which I was never being charged. I used to get a $2.95 credit for the two S-Cards, but that was removed about 5 months ago. The credit was reinstated for all 4 cards last month (a $11.80 credit). I'm sure that's wrong, but I'm not complaining. That's it.

Comcast did try to charge me an "Additional Outlet" fee a few months back, but they removed it when I pointed out that their own rate card states that the fee applies to "Digital Converter with HDTV capabilities" and I pointed out that I wasn't renting a digital converter other than one included in the HD tech fee. Your rate card may be different though.

The number of HDTV's you have is completely irreverent. The fees should be based on the number of HD converters you are renting.
Attached Images
File Type: png rates.PNG (19.4 KB, 14 views)
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #8027
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
The number of HDTV's you have is completely irreverent. The fees should be based on the number of HD converters you are renting.
Do you get HD on your tivos with cable cards?

In my case they are saying that a cable card is an HD converter and are charging HD fees for each card.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #8028
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
That probably won't be particularly useful since each local Comcast system charges different prices. Comcast has to send out a rate card periodically with prices for your area on it and what the charges apply to. This year the rate card for my area came via email.

In my case, I'm on a double play package so I pay a flat $99 plus a $9.25 HD technology fee for my one Comcast provided HD box. I have 4 cableCARDs (2 S cards and 2 M Cards) for which I was never being charged. I used to get a $2.95 credit for the two S-Cards, but that was removed about 5 months ago. The credit was reinstated for all 4 cards last month (a $11.80 credit). I'm sure that's wrong, but I'm not complaining. That's it.

Comcast did try to charge me an "Additional Outlet" fee a few months back, but they removed it when I pointed out that their own rate card states that the fee applies to "Digital Converter with HDTV capabilities" and I pointed out that I wasn't renting a digital converter other than one included in the HD tech fee. Your rate card may be different though.

I'd love to have a "double play" at $99 with HD included. All I have now is Video and they are charging me $115.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #8029
Beryl

Quote:
That is so 'messed up'. Even if you do pay the additional $8.50, you won't get HD on that tuner. As you said, they just need to update the data on the S-Card. I think that technology fee is designed for THEIR equipment, not TiVos.

Too bad you can't get someone to start from scratch -- no HD On your account -- only install M-Cards. You should get everything, including HD.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #8030
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

I finally got comcastcares to admit "the HD fee is to cover HD on any number of sets/boxes/cards". We'll see if he can fix my bill and/or tell the local supervisor to fix the issue.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #8031
lpwcomp

Locally, they don't have an HD fee. They have fees for "digital outlets" which means they charge me for the two TiVos. Or one of the TiVos and the cable box.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:45 PM   #8032
ghuido

Two things to report

- I am now getting a discount based on owning the equipment (2 Cablecards)
- A High Level CSR not call Center reported that Self Install for cable card begin on August 1st.

That is all. Please continue with further speculation. :-)
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #8033
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Locally, they don't have an HD fee. They have fees for "digital outlets" which means they charge me for the two TiVos. Or one of the TiVos and the cable box.
How much?

Old 07-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #8034
lpwcomp

$8.50 each. I do get $2.50 credit for each TiVo.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #8035
Beryl

Quote:
Hah, the corporate office just called the local guy and got him to call me. The same guy that is giving me the runaround on the freaking charges.

Bill attached.

TiVo HD/XL w/M-Card
TiVo Premiere w/M-Card

I pay no technology fee and they are now giving me back $5 for my 'customer owned equipment' and charging $1.50 for 'IN same device'. (Hate to call them as they may screw me over more,).

Note: I get the HD Premier Bundle xf with a $40 discount for another year. It usually comes in even less because I always call for full day credits when they do system updates and there is a short outage. The credits help to offset all of those surcharges, fees, and taxes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-1231058584.jpg (72.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #8036
danjw1

If they sent you back to the same person, then you need to send another note in and let them know he is still spewing the same wrong things. Also to give whoever you talk to next:
http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FA...4-def06cced0db
http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FA...6-354d38ccd122

On, the second one, there is a link that will show what your credit should be for each CardDevice.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #8037
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

I think part of the problem though is that they are charging me HD access on them. Not just a cable card fee.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:24 AM   #8038
husky55

Quote:
I just contacted them an hour ago. We'll see what happens. I just find it completely ridiculous that I'm expected to pay:

$76 base rate
$1.50 Cable Card
$34 HD access fees (4x$8.50)
$15.95 for HBO
for a total of $127.45

all I get is Video!
All I get is video also, but I have 2 Tivo M-Card plus 1 Comcast set top box for HD and HBO. My bill is $137 /mo . I was told that my bill will increase when my HBO discount expires. This is in New Haven County, CT. Everything with Comcast requires a truck roll. I can't even pick up a M-Card or any self install kit of any kind.

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:21 AM   #8039
nfrhtp

activating a card in San Francisco

I appreciated having access, through this topic thread, to so many people's experiences activating their cablecards and the summaries of lessons learned, so fwiw I will add on my story of working with Comcast San Francisco to activate a cablecard in a new Premiere XL today...

I activated the Tivo on Friday and went through the guided setup without the cablecard. I called Comcast before going to my local office for an M-Card, and I was able to walk out with it about 10 minutes after arriving.

Saturday I wrote down all the numbers on the M-Card, put it in the Tivo, went as far as I could through the menus the Tivo brought up, and called Comcast. The first guy who answered was able to quickly activate many channels but not HD channels. Somebody he asked told him that it might take 10 minutes for those to become active, and suggested I call back if that did not happen.

When that did not happen I went through the troubleshooting suggestions on the Tivo site, arriving at the final suggestion to call the Tivo cablecard hotline. The Tivo support person said that while my Tivo had downloaded program info, for some reason it had not upgraded to version 14.8, and that that would explain the problem with the cablecard activation. When I had that upgrade, she said, those channels might finish activating, but if they did not I should call Comcast and suggest they "hit the cablecard". When I forced a connection, it did download and load version 14.8, showing the status she had told me would indicate success: "pending restart".

After the restart the status of the channels was unchanged. I called Comcast and the first person I spoke with was able to quickly activate all the HD channels except those in the "Preferred" package (such as National Geographic, IFC) and in the Sports Entertainment package (such as Tennis Channel). After putting me on hold for about 10 minutes she came back saying they'd determined that the card was not paired, asked me for my Host ID and Data ID, and pretty soon after that I was able to access all the channels.

No time yet to find out if I will have to deal with any billing issues, but after reading through some of the difficult histories of activating cablecards I feel lucky that the process was as easy as it was for me.
nfrhtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:28 AM   #8040
itsdavetime

Going to pickup my Cablecard from Comcast today.

Going to the local Comcast office to pickup a cablecard for my newly purchased Tivo. Anything I need to make sure they do while I'm there?

I'm assuming once they add the cable card onto my account, I should be all set, correct?

Any advise?
itsdavetime is offline   Reply With Quote