Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > Developers Corner
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #271
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
What metadata program are you using?
I use sick beard. It wasn't designed for my usage, but I like it. It makes it much easier to organize and track even the shows I don't transfer to my pc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #272
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweb View Post
Well after what seemed like a zillion hours, I got PIL to install on my OS X 10.6.7 with python 2.7.2. and vidmgr starts up. However, when I access the app from my tivo it just immediately exits back to the "Music, Photos, & Showcases" screen.

It seems that at least one problem is it doesn't like the path to the pyTivo.conf file (~/Library/'Application Support'/pyTivoX/). It appears the space throws it. Quotes doesn't seem to help.

Any thoughts. Thanks.
I would try putting the entire string in quotes - not just the part with the space: ( '~/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/' ). I don't have a mac though so I can't test this idea.

The parsing of the config file is done with the python configparser module, and I'm not sure of the details of its operation. The doc page (http://docs.python.org/library/configparser.html) doesn't really say anything about this situation.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #273
cweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
I would try putting the entire string in quotes - not just the part with the space: ( '~/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/' ). I don't have a mac though so I can't test this idea.
I tried your single quotes response (both with ~ and with full path) with no luck. Its's the space between Application and Support that is throwing it.

As an experiment, I copied pytivo.conf to a temp directory with no spaces in the path and the program worked great! I just need a way to correctly parse the real path. I don't believe pytivo or pytivox allows you to specify a settings directory.
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #274
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweb View Post
I tried your single quotes response (both with ~ and with full path) with no luck. Its's the space between Application and Support that is throwing it.

As an experiment, I copied pytivo.conf to a temp directory with no spaces in the path and the program worked great! I just need a way to correctly parse the real path. I don't believe pytivo or pytivox allows you to specify a settings directory.
Here is the code that reads in the config file name:
key = "pytivo" + str(i) + ".config"
if not cfg.has_option(section, key): break
cfgfile = cfg.get(section, key)
self.parseCfgFile(cfgfile, ip, port, sep)

and here is the code that reads the config file:
def parseCfgFile(self, cf, ip, defport, sep):
pyconfig = ConfigParser.ConfigParser()
configs_found = pyconfig.read(cf)

I'm not doing any processing or manipulation of the filename. I'm just reading in the string using a configparser get method and I'm passing that string to the configparser read method. SOmewhere in there this is happening, but there is nothing (at least evident to me) that I can do differently in the vidmgr code.

Does anybody on a MAC have any insight into this?

Have you tried without any quoting whatsoever?

Old 06-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #275
cweb

Quote:
Have you tried without any quoting whatsoever?
Problem solved. I looked at other python apps (pytivo and streambaby) to see how there configs laid out the path name. I have to use the whole path name (/Users/xxxxx/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/pyTivo.conf with no quotes) vs the short hand path (~/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/pyTivo.conf).

I thought I had done this previously a couple of times before, but perhaps there was a spelling error along the way. Anyway it now works.

Thanks.
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:09 AM   #276
lrhorer

In *nix (and probably the Mac) the interpreter (bash, ksh, csh, etc) expands the ~ into the home directory name, but if the ~ is enclosed in quote marks, then it is taken to be a literal - which is to say a directory named "~". OTOH, placing quote marks within the interior of the path is probably not a valid expression for Python. The bottom line is, putting unexpanded expressions like ~ or * in a config file is not generally a good idea unless you know for a fact the interpreter you are using will expand the expressions in the way you think it will. Even then, it's not a terribly good idea.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #277
jbernardis

Yeah - I know nothing of MAC's either, but on Unix systems, the ~ and * expressions used in filenames (known as globbing) is expanded by the shell. The program being invoked knows nothing about whether or not these expressions are used - it simply receives a list of fully expanded matching filenames.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #278
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

OS X is just another flavor of BSD at this level. It is a Unix system.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:53 PM   #279
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
OS X is just another flavor of BSD at this level. It is a Unix system.
That I knew. What I don't now is what interpreters it employs at the CL, and of course I'm not directly familiar with how Python interprets strings.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #280
lrhorer

Quote:
Yeah - I know nothing of MAC's either, but on Unix systems, the ~ and * expressions used in filenames (known as globbing) is expanded by the shell. The program being invoked knows nothing about whether or not these expressions are used - it simply receives a list of fully expanded matching filenames.
In terms of what is received from parameters passed by stdin, I would expect this to be true, but not necessarily from a config file read directly by the interpreter - in this case Python. Unless I misread the original post, he's putting this expression in a config file, isn't he? I don't recall that I have ever attempted to pass a globbed expression to the kernel. I wouldn't expect it to work, so I've never even tried.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:49 AM   #281
lrhorer

OK, I have another request that I think should not be too difficult. Lucasnz over on the pyTivo forum has picked up development of the DVD plugin for pyTivo, and has re-worked the code so that (with one small fork differential) pyTivo can now push DVD titles. It would be great if vidmgr supported this functionality. See the thread here.

Last edited by lrhorer : 06-30-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #282
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
In terms of what is received from parameters passed by stdin, I would expect this to be true, but not necessarily from a config file read directly by the interpreter - in this case Python. Unless I misread the original post, he's putting this expression in a config file, isn't he? I don't recall that I have ever attempted to pass a globbed expression to the kernel. I wouldn't expect it to work, so I've never even tried.
This is my point. The shell is NOT going to interpret a config file. It's up to the program to do that. Many people think that the wildcards you use on the command line are processed internally by the program, and therefore it should be no hardship (or at least no different) to also process wildcards from a config file.

This is not the case, however. The invoked program has no idea that wildcards were used on the command line - the shell takes care of the expansion/file name matching. If wildcards are in a config file, however, the reading program would have to do the expansion explicitly. Most languages provide facilities for doing this (at least I know Perl does and I assume python does too) but it's not a normal practice to do so.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #283
jbernardis

Quote:
OK, I have another request that I think should not be too difficult. Lucasnz over on the pyTivo forum has picked up development of the DVD plugin for pyTivo, and has re-worked the code so that (with one small fork differential) pyTivo can now push DVD titles. It would be great if vidmgr supported this functionality. See the thread here.
I have never used the DVD plugin myself, but it looks intriguing. I noticed when it was first announced, but haven't followed its evolution. I am actually using vidmgr and pytivo to manage some DVD rip videos, but am having some issues with the proper format. Maybe this plugin will solve my issues.

Let me get it going on my installation so that I know better how it's used. After I'm familiar with it, I'll evaluate how it could best be incorporated into vidmgr, and what the impacts on the program will be.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:40 PM   #284
lrhorer

Quote:
I have never used the DVD plugin myself, but it looks intriguing. I noticed when it was first announced, but haven't followed its evolution. I am actually using vidmgr and pytivo to manage some DVD rip videos, but am having some issues with the proper format. Maybe this plugin will solve my issues.
With the exception of some audio track selection issues, which the most recent updates have fixed, I've never had any problems with simply ripping the DVD using DVD Decrypter, renaming the directory to suit my taste, and going about my business.

Quote:
Let me get it going on my installation so that I know better how it's used.
Aside from support for rather more complex and numerous metafiles, to the user it is almost identical to the mainstream pyTivo program. The only major difference is each DVD has its own directory, rather than just being a single file.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #285
jbernardis

FYI - I have been working on this and am just about finished. I am away from home right now, but have taken the source code with me and I believe I have finished my changes, Problem is I won't be able to test until I get home, so it still could be quite a while before it's released.

There are some significant differences between processing these shares and normal video shares. Most notably, when I am processing a video share, if there is no meta data available, I at least have the file name as a reasonable title substitute and I can easily count up the number of titles in any directory. Not so with a dvdvideo share - the only real way to know how many titles I am dealing with is to process the binary IFO files, and that just gives me the count - There is no real title.

So I made a simplifying decision. I am ONLY processing the metadata. If a directory contains a VIDEO_TS directory but does not have any metadata, then I assume that there is only a single title (with the same name as the directory name). If there is metadata, the number of titles and their text is extracted from there.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #286
lrhorer

Quote:
FYI - I have been working on this and am just about finished.
Terrific!

Quote:
I am away from home right now, but have taken the source code with me and I believe I have finished my changes, Problem is I won't be able to test until I get home, so it still could be quite a while before it's released.
'A little less terrific, but still good news.

Quote:
There are some significant differences between processing these shares and normal video shares. Most notably, when I am processing a video share, if there is no meta data available, I at least have the file name as a reasonable title substitute and I can easily count up the number of titles in any directory. Not so with a dvdvideo share - the only real way to know how many titles I am dealing with is to process the binary IFO files, and that just gives me the count - There is no real title.
Absolutely. Metadata is essential with the DVD plug-in.

Quote:
So I made a simplifying decision. I am ONLY processing the metadata. If a directory contains a VIDEO_TS directory but does not have any metadata, then I assume that there is only a single title (with the same name as the directory name).
Indubitably. I don't see how else you could reasonably attack the problem.

Quote:
If there is metadata, the number of titles and their text is extracted from there.
Excellent.

Does the DVD Plug-in solve the issues you were having with your rips?
Old 07-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #287
jbernardis

Quote:
Does the DVD Plug-in solve the issues you were having with your rips?
Not quite - I'm not sure that I'm going to end up using the dvdvideo plugin for several reasons.

1) Even though we are "pushing" videos, there is still some ffmpeg processing going on. When I push a dvd video using this plugin, it's takes about 5 times as long as pushing the same video transcoded into MP4 (and the MP4 file is not significantly smaller)

2) All I ever want from a DVD is the main title - this plugin introduces another level in the directory hierarchy, which is unnecessary for a single title.

3) I have several movies that span multiple disks. With all of the video tools I have at my disposal, I am able to combine these into a single file. This is impossible with the dvdvideo plugin.

4) I have some series with multiple titles on multiple disks. In this situation, adding a disk level to the hierarchy and needing to traverse up and then down into another directory to continue with the series seems unnatural to me.

5) I also play these videos on my PS3 - which I can do directly from my NAS with the native software of the PS3. I'm not sure if this would be possible if the files were in VIDEO_TS format.

I think I'm just going to continue transcoding my videos to either MP4 or MPG format.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #288
lrhorer

Quote:
1) Even though we are "pushing" videos, there is still some ffmpeg processing going on. When I push a dvd video using this plugin, it's takes about 5 times as long as pushing the same video transcoded into MP4 (and the MP4 file is not significantly smaller)
Odd. Still, since all DVDs are SD, they still transfer at several times real-time, and since there are no commercials, I rarely have any reason to FF or RW.

Quote:
2) All I ever want from a DVD is the main title - this plugin introduces another level in the directory hierarchy, which is unnecessary for a single title.
You don't have any multi-title DVDs? I have several, plus several with theatrical and non-theatrical releases. There are also several whose extra features I like. Admittedly, most I only want the main title, but there are a number of exceptions.

Quote:
3) I have several movies that span multiple disks. With all of the video tools I have at my disposal, I am able to combine these into a single file. This is impossible with the dvdvideo plugin.
It's not impossible, at all. I only have one, that I recall (Exodus), and I ripped it to a pair of MPEG files, and then re-authored / spliced it using VideoRedo.

Quote:
4) I have some series with multiple titles on multiple disks. In this situation, adding a disk level to the hierarchy and needing to traverse up and then down into another directory to continue with the series seems unnatural to me.
You could splice it into a single, multi-title collection. You may not consider this convenient, however.

Quote:
5) I also play these videos on my PS3 - which I can do directly from my NAS with the native software of the PS3. I'm not sure if this would be possible if the files were in VIDEO_TS format.
That, I can't say.

Quote:
I think I'm just going to continue transcoding my videos to either MP4 or MPG format.
OK. I definitely prefer just ripping and forgetting about it. I haven't done even a single rip in ages, but when I was archiving my DVDs, I sometimes ripped four at a time.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #289
jbernardis

Ok - version 0.7 is out on git - follow the link in my signature.

This version adds support for the dvdvideo plugin. As mentioned in the above posts, this is highly dependent on accurate metadata. If you do not have metadata, then I assume that there is only 1 title - the main feature - available.

lrhorer - I am counting on you doing some testing here. I put a few dvds up on my NAS, but as I stated, I do not use the dvdvideo plugin. The few dvds I inserted allow me to do little more than elementary testing. I certainly do not have the variety of scenarios that I think you have

Old 07-13-2011, 01:54 AM   #290
lrhorer

Quote:
Ok - version 0.7 is out on git - follow the link in my signature.
'Just downloaded it.

Quote:
lrhorer - I am counting on you doing some testing here. I put a few dvds up on my NAS, but as I stated, I do not use the dvdvideo plugin. The few dvds I inserted allow me to do little more than elementary testing. I certainly do not have the variety of scenarios that I think you have
Oh, you bet. I'm going to try a couple right now. I won't be able to do any real testing until this weekend, though.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:31 AM   #291
lrhorer

Um, something is broken. First of all it is no longer possible to gracefully exit vidmgr, or even to get back to the main menu from any of the shares. In the main menu, hitting left arrow does nothing, and once I have entered a share, the left arrow won't take me back to the main menu. I can drill into subdirectories inside a share and get back to the root of a share, but that's as far as I can get. Hitting the <TiVo> button takes me back to the main TiVo menu, though.

The DVD share doesn't work, at all, though. No folder icon shows up next to the DVD share. Hitting the right arrow brings up a very slight shadow of an icon (the clock, icon, I think) in the middle of the screen, and then the app locks up tight. I'm including a copy of the log, gained from moving around various places in the app. The log file is gzipped, but I changed the extension to .zip so I could upload it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip vidmgr.tar.zip (1,019 Bytes, 2 views)
Old 07-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #292
jbernardis

It always seems to be related to the display of an icon. I can certainly make the code more defensive here, but it almost seems to me that one of your png files is missing, although I didn's see a message in the logs you provided. I didn't state it explicitly in my last email, but there is a new png file - dvdfolder.png. If you are using your own skin, make sure to copy this over from eith the skins/blue or skins/orig directory.

The exception happens because the listing dictionary has a value of None for key 'icon', and the only way this can happen is if one of the png files is missing.

Edit: Possible reason why the error message is not showing up - Are you only directing stderr to your log file and NOT stdout? My message is going to stdout. I can fix this too - but before I make a change, let's find out if your file is missing.

Last edited by jbernardis : 07-13-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:12 AM   #293
lrhorer

Quote:
It always seems to be related to the display of an icon. I can certainly make the code more defensive here, but it almost seems to me that one of your png files is missing, although I didn's see a message in the logs you provided. I didn't state it explicitly in my last email, but there is a new png file - dvdfolder.png. If you are using your own skin, make sure to copy this over from eith the skins/blue or skins/orig directory.
Oops. That would do it. I have skin=local set in my config.ini file. When I pulled the git, I simply copy over the entire directory structure, but of course nothing gets copied to the ./vidmgr/skins/local directory, by design.

Quote:
The exception happens because the listing dictionary has a value of None for key 'icon', and the only way this can happen is if one of the png files is missing.
Yep, that did the trick. From now on, I'll have to remember to scan the ./vidmgr/skins/orig/ directory for new files whenever I pull a git. I like the icon, BTW. It provides a nice visual cue to the fact these are DVDs.

Quote:
Edit: Possible reason why the error message is not showing up - Are you only directing stderr to your log file and NOT stdout? My message is going to stdout. I can fix this too - but before I make a change, let's find out if your file is missing.
That was established. Meanwhile:

Code:
#! /bin/bash
PIDFILE=/var/run/pyHME.pid
RUNDIR=/usr/share/pyhme
LOGFILE=/var/log/pyhme.log
cd $RUNDIR
/usr/bin/nohup $RUNDIR/start.py > $LOGFILE 2>&1 &
echo $! > $PIDFILE
exit 0
This is called from

Code:
NAME=pyHME
DAEMON=/usr/share/pyhme/$NAME
PIDFILE=/var/run/$NAME.pid

start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile $PIDFILE --exec $DAEMON || return 2
in /etc/init.d. Stdout and stderr are both being re-directed to the logfile. Nohup and the daemon service manager should not interfere with stdout. Obviously, since stderr is being re-directed to stdout, and the messages from stderr are showing up in the log file, stdout must be properly re-directed. For some reason, the message is not showing up to stdout.

Last edited by lrhorer : 07-13-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #294
jbernardis

I can't explain the missing message - there IS a print statement if an image file is missing.

But since copying the file got you going, I'm not going to worry too much about that. I am going to make a delivery with defensive code in case the icon file is missing, but there is no urgency for it (unless you report further issues)

Incidentally - I apologize for not emphasizing that there was a new graphic file in this release. I intended to do so, but it slipped my mind while I was composing the message.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:07 AM   #295
lrhorer

Quote:
I can't explain the missing message - there IS a print statement if an image file is missing.
Hmm. Odd. I have no explanation.

Quote:
But since copying the file got you going, I'm not going to worry too much about that. I am going to make a delivery with defensive code in case the icon file is missing, but there is no urgency for it (unless you report further issues)
Quite the contrary. Everything so far looks perfect. As I mentioned, however, my testing so far has been fairly perfunctory. I won't be able to really beat up the app until this weekend.

One very interesting note. I noticed if there is a folder.jpg file in the directory for a DVD, but no individual __Txx.mpg.jpg file, then rather than display no cover art, for the specific title, the app displays the main folder.jpg artwork. I like that.

Quote:
Incidentally - I apologize for not emphasizing that there was a new graphic file in this release. I intended to do so, but it slipped my mind while I was composing the message.
No worries. It was more my fault for not thinking of it. Given the fact I have a custom icon folder, scanning your release skin folders for new artwork files should have been SOP for me whenever I pull a new git all along.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:18 AM   #296
jbernardis

Quote:
One very interesting note. I noticed if there is a folder.jpg file in the directory for a DVD, but no individual __Txx.mpg.jpg file, then rather than display no cover art, for the specific title, the app displays the main folder.jpg artwork. I like that.
Actually, the folder.jpg behavior was my original intent. It wasn't until I finished coding that I realized the __Txx.mpg.jpg "feature" was going to be a by-product. I had a note to myself to try to work this in, and then I realized that it just ought to work. So I tried it and sure enough the existing logic already took care of it. Glad you like it.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #297
jbernardis

BTW - did you notice that if you are looking at the directory listing and have the hilite on the DVD folder, if you press the info button, you see the info from the default.txt file, including the list of titles.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #298
lrhorer

Quote:
BTW - did you notice that if you are looking at the directory listing and have the hilite on the DVD folder, if you press the info button, you see the info from the default.txt file, including the list of titles.
No, I didn't catch that. Neat.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:48 PM   #299
lrhorer

OK, I've hit the DVD feature at least once with everything of which I can think, and it seems to be performing flawlessly with one tiny exception. Subdirectories are not properly sorted by Alpha even though force_alpha = True is set in pyTivo.conf. OTOH, when I double-checked, the pyTivo DVD plug-in does not sort properly, either. If vidmgr relies on the DVD plug-in to relay the directory listing back to the app, then this is more properly a small bug in the DVD plug-in. If not, then both the DVD plug-in and vidmgr have the same little bug-let.

Edit: Oh, pfft! Nevermind. Silly me. If forgot on an Alph sort, 25 comes before 3 and 4, and 43 comes before 6.

Last edited by lrhorer : 07-18-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:21 AM   #300
lrhorer

OK, no sooner did I submit a false bug report, than I have another feature request, if it isn't too difficult to manage. (No one can say I don't have chutzpah, I guess.) Would it be possible to make folder descriptions multi-line? I was thinking something like the following.

If the file default.txt in "/Videos/Twilight Zone" has the lines

Code:
description : Four Episodes from the original TV series
description : 1. Steel
description : 2. A Game of Pool
description : 3. Walking Distance
description : 4. Kick the Can
Then rather than only the first line showing up in the info text, all four will show up like so:

Code:
Four Episodes from the original TV series
1. Steel
2. A Game of Pool
3. Walking Distance
4. Kick the Can
Of course, I could put them all on one line, but this reads easier, especially when there are a number of titles.