TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #1051
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry.A View Post
Thanks for the tip. I just verified that video sharing is enabled, still no luck.
I've run into that now and then. Try rebooting not only your TiVo's, but your network as well. IIRC I did it in this order to get things working:

1. Reboot router/modem (give it ten minutes or so to fully engage)
2. Reboot TiVo 1 (again, wait a few minutes)
3. Reboot TiVo 2

Also, if you just connected your TiVo's it may take 24 to 48 hours for them both to be recognized by the Mothership as being on the same account and ultimately to communicate with each other.

Hope that helps...others may have some more advice.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:40 AM   #1052
minimeh
Vanity Phrase Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimeh View Post
Not having a SATA connection available, I wasn't able to use wdidle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
2. No SATA at all? I had no spares, but "borrowed" the one from my HDD when the USB dock proved futile.
After looking into the whole intellipark issue some more, I'm convinced that I really need to set the value. So I bought a SATA extension cable, removed the laptop's HDD, plugged in the extension, then plugged in the WD20EARS to the extension, and booted up off of a boot CDROM.

Unfortunately, the WD20EARS was not recognized by the BIOS. I reseated both ends of the cable and tried again. No good. I attached the original WD disk from the TiVo and tried again. No good. I plugged in the laptop's own HDD (a Seagate st9120411 120GB) into the extension cable, and that is recognized. So it seems the cable and connection to computer is ok.

I put the WD20EARS back into the Premier and powered it up. It booted up normally, at least demonstrating that the disk drive is still good and wasn't fried.

So, I'm clueless why the WD drives are not recognized by the BIOS of the laptop.

My next swing at it will be to drag the disk to somebody's desk top and see what unexpected issues arise there!
minimeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:51 AM   #1053
unitron

Quote:
After looking into the whole intellipark issue some more, I'm convinced that I really need to set the value. So I bought a SATA extension cable, removed the laptop's HDD, plugged in the extension, then plugged in the WD20EARS to the extension, and booted up off of a boot CDROM.

Unfortunately, the WD20EARS was not recognized by the BIOS. I reseated both ends of the cable and tried again. No good. I attached the original WD disk from the TiVo and tried again. No good. I plugged in the laptop's own HDD (a Seagate st9120411 120GB) into the extension cable, and that is recognized. So it seems the cable and connection to computer is ok.

I put the WD20EARS back into the Premier and powered it up. It booted up normally, at least demonstrating that the disk drive is still good and wasn't fried.

So, I'm clueless why the WD drives are not recognized by the BIOS of the laptop.

My next swing at it will be to drag the disk to somebody's desk top and see what unexpected issues arise there!
You could see if the EARS has a "throttle it back to SATA 1.5" jumper setting, and see it that makes the difference, although it may be the size that's the problem.

I've got an Asus motherboard (AGP video slot, DDR1 ram slots) with 2 IDE controllers and 2 SATA ports. I've got 2 160GB SATA drives usually attached to those 2 ports.

However, hooking up a 1TB SATA drive, even if jumpered as mentioned, causes it to hang when it gets to the "let's see if I've got anything attached to my SATA ports" part of the boot process.

Put a Marvell or JMicron chipset adapter on the drive and hook it to either of the IDE controllers, Master or Slave, and it boots just fine.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:03 AM   #1054
minimeh
Vanity Phrase Here

As far as i can tell, the Seagate is a SATA 3.0. But I am suspicious that the size of the drives (320 GB and 2 TB) might be the issue. Hmm, maybe there's a BIOS update. I'll have to check that out, I guess.

On the plus side, I'm getting really good at taking out and putting back the TiVo HDD.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:06 AM   #1055
unitron

Quote:
As far as i can tell, the Seagate is a SATA 3.0. But I am suspicious that the size of the drives (320 GB and 2 TB) might be the issue. Hmm, maybe there's a BIOS update. I'll have to check that out, I guess.

On the plus side, I'm getting really good at taking out and putting back the TiVo HDD.
Have you replaced your Tivo's case screws with Velcro or zippers yet?

Old 07-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #1056
minimeh
Vanity Phrase Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Where's the challenge in that!

A little investigation into the laptop turns out that it has the latest BIOS (it's not quite a year old). The largest HDD it is sold with is 160GB. So, looks like that's a show stopper.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #1057
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Ha! Good one! Actually, back in the days of "upgrading" Series1's (which entailed adding a second hard drive inside the box) we would often use velcro or zip ties to secure the second drive to the original drive sled. Others just used tape!

Where there's a will...
Old 07-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #1058
wb5yyq

Ok, so I found an identical drive on eBay for my ailing Premiere. After restarting several times, getting the Tivo downloads, resetting my zipcode, etc. it almost looks normal. Unfortunately, nothing will record (except the 30 min LiveTV). If I try to record the current channel, it goes thru the motions as if it is recording, but no record light, and no recordings. Scheduled recordings show in my To Do list, but don't record. I did notice that although the Tivo shows the correct time, in the system info the daylight savings is inactive. Could this be the problem? I could not play any of the recorded shows that were on the drive when I got it, but I could delete them. Any ideas?
wb5yyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #1059
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb5yyq View Post
Ok, so I found an identical drive on eBay for my ailing Premiere. After restarting several times, getting the Tivo downloads, resetting my zipcode, etc. it almost looks normal. Unfortunately, nothing will record (except the 30 min LiveTV). If I try to record the current channel, it goes thru the motions as if it is recording, but no record light, and no recordings. Scheduled recordings show in my To Do list, but don't record. I did notice that although the Tivo shows the correct time, in the system info the daylight savings is inactive. Could this be the problem? I could not play any of the recorded shows that were on the drive when I got it, but I could delete them. Any ideas?
If the drive came came from another identical TiVo model (say a Premiere as opposed to a Premiere XL) it should work. However you'll need to run Clear and Delete Everything from the menu. (Tivo Central > Messages and Settings > Restart or Reset System > Clear and Delete Everything.) That will reset your TiVo to factory specs.

Give that a try and see if it doesn't work.

Last edited by richsadams : 07-14-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #1060
PotentiallyCoherent

What SATA to USB adapters are you guys using?
PotentiallyCoherent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #1061
minimeh
Vanity Phrase Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotentiallyCoherent View Post
What SATA to USB adapters are you guys using?
I used a pair of Thermaltake BlacX eSATA USB Docking Stations. I had an older one and picked a new one. Recommended.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:29 PM   #1062
richsadams

Quote:
I used a pair of Thermaltake BlacX eSATA USB Docking Stations. I had an older one and picked a new one. Recommended.
I have one of the Thermaltake BlackX docks and a Newertech Voyager Firewire 800 Docking Station. I also have one of the older USB/SATA adapters. The adapters are certainly cheaper and if it's a one-time thing they work fine. However I like having the ability to use the docking stations to hot swap drives on my computers as well as upgrade TiVo drives.

Keep in mind that a dual drive docking station (like this one) will NOT work. Two separate docks or adapters (or a combination of the two) are required for TiVo upgrades.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #1063
PotentiallyCoherent

The http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-...=5336432779-20 looks fairly dangerous to use. I could use one docking station and remove the HD from the computer, right?
Old 07-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #1064
minimeh
Vanity Phrase Here

Quote:
I could use one docking station and remove the HD from the computer, right?
In theory that should work. In practice, the laptop that I used chokes on the larger drives and the BIOS reports no drive connected. You'll probably just have to try it and see, I'm guessing.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #1065
PotentiallyCoherent

Quote:
In theory that should work. In practice, the laptop that I used chokes on the larger drives and the BIOS reports no drive connected. You'll probably just have to try it and see, I'm guessing.
I'm using a desktop, so that shouldn't be a problem. Which drive should I install internally?
Old 07-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #1066
richsadams

Quote:
The http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-...=5336432779-20 looks fairly dangerous to use. I could use one docking station and remove the HD from the computer, right?
Those adapters are not "dangerous" at all...they work perfectly fine. I've used the same thing for several TiVo upgrades over the years. Yes to your question, as long as your BIOS doesn't have any issues, you could use your PC's SATA connection (currently used by your OS drive) and a separate USB/SATA dock.

Quote:
Laptops have always been "iffy" at best. I was glad to see that you got things worked out with your upgrade.

A desktop is always the best bet with TiVo upgrades.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #1067
richsadams

Quote:
I'm using a desktop, so that shouldn't be a problem. Which drive should I install internally?
Shouldn't matter.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #1068
PotentiallyCoherent

I ordered two of the adapters that Rich recommended. They'll be here Monday, so wish me luck! Thanks for the help.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:59 PM   #1069
unitron

Quote:
If that desktop has a GigaByte brand motherboard, none of them.

Google "gigabyte hpa"

Otherwise, it probably shouldn't matter, just be sure to always know which is the source and which is the target and which is /dev/sda and which is /dev/sdb or whatever they get called.

You can try them hooked up one at a time until you're sure the desktop board will properly recognize each on either position.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:10 AM   #1070
richsadams

Quote:
I ordered two of the adapters that Rich recommended. They'll be here Monday, so wish me luck! Thanks for the help.
Just be sure that when you're handling the drives, particularly when they are powered up, to protect them from coming into contact with anything metal, etc. that could short them. Using static-free mats and such is always a good precaution. But then you probably knew that.

Happy upgrading!
Old 07-16-2011, 01:02 AM   #1071
P42

Seriously? Could you make it any easier???
Thanks Comer and to anyone else who worked on this - beer money sent.
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:28 AM   #1072
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42 View Post
Seriously? Could you make it any easier???
Thanks Comer and to anyone else who worked on this - beer money sent.
Congrats and enjoy!
Old 07-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #1073
PedjaR

Successfully upgraded my XL. Thanks to Comer (beer money on the way) and everyone else who chimed in with advice.
Details below; was slightly eventful, none of it due to JMFS, though. Most issues were probably because I have a Gigabyte motherboard and was afraid to connect drives internally. Got WD20EARS. I had one eSATA/USB enclosure and one dual USB enclosure. Connected this blank drive through eSATA, run wdidle and it worked fine (set it to 300). I was very happy about this, as I read somewhere wdidle does not work with USB, and I was not going to connect it internally, so this was my main reason for using eSATA. Tried Hitachi tools for acoustic management, did not work - said the drive does not support acoustic management. This is very strange as in the other computer, I have an older 250GB WD drive that it worked on just fine (I was playing with it just to see if it works). This did not concern me much as the drive is quiet anyway. Tried DOS version of WD Lifeguard – it refused to work, complaining something about the version (it worked on the 250GB WD drive just fine). Tried Windows version of WD Lifeguard. Ran Quick Test OK; Extended Test was running, but said it would take ~10 days to do it. I thought maybe that is not particularly accurate, so I left it overnight; in the morning it showed about 9 days left, and the number of sectors matched about 10% of total. That was not going to do, so I switched enclosure to USB mode and tried again. Hitachi and DOS Lifeguard still not working, but Windows Lifeguard extended test now estimated about 16 hours. That was acceptable, so I let it run. By the time I checked it later next day, the computer rebooted on its own (probably some kind of auto-update), and, of course, no test results. Before I restarted it, I tried “hdparm –N” to see if HPA was added. Much to my surprise, it showed that HPA status cannot be determined, as the total number of sectors was something ridiculously high (it even helpfully put that number in once more in parenthesis followed with a question mark, as in “are you sure, this is crazy”). I tried both MFS and JMFS, the same result. The number of free sectors was OK, same as in WD Lifeguard. I restarted extended test, and it passed. I thought that may be good enough, so I took out the Tivo drive, popped in the JMFS CD and rebooted; then I connected the drive to USB enclosure and refreshed (that way no HPA for sure). The copy was averaging about ~15000Kb/s, so it lasted about as long as the extended test. Run expand and supersize, all nicely uneventful. Out of curiosity, I checked HPA status on both old Tivo drive and the new drive – both reported that the status cannot be determined, and that the total number of sectors is some ridiculously high number. That made me feel a bit better about the health of WD20EARS. Put it in Tivo, connected all cables, and it worked just fine; used space meter went down from 96% to 48%, and the capacity showed 317 HD hours as expected. The whole JMFS process is extremely easy and works great; my (minor) annoyances were all with other tools and hardware.
PedjaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #1074
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedjaR View Post
Successfully upgraded my XL. Thanks to Comer (beer money on the way) and everyone else who chimed in with advice. <snip>
Thanks very much for all of the details and congratulations!
Old 07-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #1075
minimeh
Vanity Phrase Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedjaR View Post
...Got WD20EARS...Tried Hitachi tools for acoustic management, did not work - said the drive does not support acoustic management. This is very strange as in the other computer, I have an older 250GB WD drive that it worked on just fine (I was playing with it just to see if it works)...
If I read that correctly, you too are seeing that AAM is not supported on the WD20EARS? I ran into the same thing.

Maybe it has to do with the BIOS of the motherboard? You get correct operation on a 250GB drive, but not the 2TB. On the laptop I made the upgrade with, it doesn't even recognize the 2TB at the BIOS level when connected via SATA. While I was successful using that laptop with 2 USB docking stations, AAM was reported as unsupported on the 2TB but supported on the 160GB internal HDD.

I ultimately took the WD20EARS to a desktop and connected via SATA to run wdidle3.exe successfully. I didn't try addressing AAM while connected to the desktop. Wish I had now, if only to see what the software reports on AAM support in the drive.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #1076
PedjaR

Quote:
If I read that correctly, you too are seeing that AAM is not supported on the WD20EARS? I ran into the same thing.

Maybe it has to do with the BIOS of the motherboard? You get correct operation on a 250GB drive, but not the 2TB. On the laptop I made the upgrade with, it doesn't even recognize the 2TB at the BIOS level when connected via SATA. While I was successful using that laptop with 2 USB docking stations, AAM was reported as unsupported on the 2TB but supported on the 160GB internal HDD.

I ultimately took the WD20EARS to a desktop and connected via SATA to run wdidle3.exe successfully. I didn't try addressing AAM while connected to the desktop. Wish I had now, if only to see what the software reports on AAM support in the drive.
I don't know the reason. I initially chalked it up to external connection (250GB drive is internal). Both eSATA and USB showed the same message.
PedjaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #1077
lessd

Quote:

The newest WD20EARS do not support AAM but the drive is not noisy, the older ones did support AAM so something has changed and may change again in the future, I think WD is now promoting an AV drive (at $20 more) that most likely is WD20EARS with the AAM supported, that just a guess on my part.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:07 AM   #1078
minimeh
Vanity Phrase Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
The newest WD20EARS do not support AAM...
Ah ha! Good to know. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:19 AM   #1079
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
The newest WD20EARS do not support AAM but the drive is not noisy, the older ones did support AAM so something has changed and may change again in the future, I think WD is now promoting an AV drive (at $20 more) that most likely is WD20EARS with the AAM supported, that just a guess on my part.
The WD20EURS has all of the dedicated A/V features including having the AAM set to 128. TiVo can't or doesn't take advantage of the other A/V "features" but if you need a quiet drive, it's a great option.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:37 PM   #1080
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Wow, 2TB/317 HD hours, that was the easiest Tivo upgrade I've ever done.
Thank you, Comer.

The hardest part was waiting for two days after realizing that I didn't have a spare sata data cable after I had everything taken apart.