TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #7981
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

The "Digital Pref A/O" is the additional outlet fee to have a digital device connected to a second outlet. This should mean that the second digital outlet is supposed to receive the same programming as your main digital outlet.
Surprised to see a separate HD technology fee - I would have thought that would be a component of the Digital Preferred package.
It looks like you have 2 digital outlets (main plus one A/O) and two (more) outlets with free DTAs connected. Other than the HD Technology fee your bill looks about right to me. No CC fees because you're paying for them in the basic sub plus the A/O fee.

PS: Once you've attached your file you can display it in your post by inserting the image link, like so (here's your attached image file):

PS:
It's interesting to see how others' service bills are set up. Here's my Comcast bill for two S3/Premiere TiVos plus an S2 connected via a digital adapter:

(I probably shouldn't complain too loudly because I think I'm getting a good deal here... )

Last edited by pdhenry : 06-29-2011 at 11:06 AM.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #7982
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
David,

What do you have in terms of number of TV's, outlets, TiVo's (models), cablecards, Comcast STB/DVR etc?

Interesting to see where you are they are still listing Basic Service and an added Premium channel but that varies from franchise to franchise. I believe they are trying to standardize on their "Digital" packages so for example we have Digital Preferred with 1 Premium (HBO) for $84.30 here.

Scott
At that moment I had one S3 tivo, an HD cable box and 3 DTAs. I have no idea what the package was that I needed, but I wanted all my locals, 1-100, things like bravo, history, etc., HD access, and my HBO.

Now that we've switched 100% digital I picked up a Tivo Premiere. I now have an HD box, Premiere with 1 CC, S3 with 2 CC, and one DTA.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #7983
HerronScott

What charges were you trying to question the $17.95 and the $8.50 fees? Unfortunately, I only have 2 TiVo's attached to one TV and a second TV analog only so no converter. I'm not familiar with how Comcast is doing additional outlets and what I see being listed as HD Technology Fee now in my latest rate guide. I think that fee applies anytime you have their HD hardware. The $17.95 charge even though listed as cablecard looks like the discrete monthly charge for digital preferred services which I think would be right since your main package is only basic service and you also seem to be paying for HBO service ala carte as well.

I'd see if they offer something like the Digital Preferred with 1 Premium package in your area which I think would replace those 3 line items and come in cheaper.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #7984
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

If you only have Tivos, you should not be charged the HD tech fee - that is only for use of their boxes. I would get rid of their HD box and use the Premiere instead, but that's just me. It ends up being $6/mo. for each extra Tivo here, now that they are crediting $2.50/mo. for customer-provided equipment ($8.50 outlet - $2.50 credit).
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #7985
HerronScott

So I checked out the CPE credit and it's supposed to be $2.95 for our franchise but it doesn't apply to our Digitial Preferred with 1 Premium service since that does not include a converter and currently we only have the one primary digital outlet (rest are analog so no charge).

Seems that the credit should be $3.00 here though since a converter monthly charge is $4.75 and the CableCard charge is $1.75.

Scott
Old 07-03-2011, 08:11 AM   #7986
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
it doesn't apply to our Digitial Preferred with 1 Premium service since that does not include a converter and currently we only have the one primary digital outlet (rest are analog so no charge).
Could someone without a TiVo get digital and premium channels without a converter?

If they'd get a converter in their package you're supposed to pay less since you're renting less equipment. This is the intent of the customer-owned equipment rebate, and it applies whether you're billed for a cable card or not.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #7987
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
If they'd get a converter in their package you're supposed to pay less since you're renting less equipment. This is the intent of the customer-owned equipment rebate, and it applies whether you're billed for a cable card or not.
No they couldn't but what they seem to be indicating that the Digitial Preferred package does not include the converter charge in our area.

I just went through ordering new service on line however and it shows the converter as included so sounds like if this credit doesn't show up I need to ask Comcast Cares about it.

Scott
Old 07-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #7988
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Definitely - Digital Preferred and Starter both include a box as part of the service. Not sure how you heard otherwise but that person was seriously misinformed.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #7989
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

There might be a minsunderstanding on the part of the agent - perhaps "there's no converter charge for the first set with Digital Preferred" is being misinterpreted as "the converter charge for the first set isn't included with Digital Preferred."
Old 07-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #7990
HerronScott

I got that info from Comcast's webpage on Comcast's policy on customer owned equipment after entering my zipcode.

http://www.comcast.com/equipmentpolicy/

Here's what it reports:

"The monthly credit you may be eligible for is $2.95

Please note, if you subscribe to our Digital Preferred tier of video service on your primary outlet, you are not eligible for a Customer Owned Equipment credit. A converter is not included in the price of Digital Preffered. View our FAQs for additional information."

Scott
Old 07-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #7991
lpwcomp

I think a lot of the problem is that Comcast isn't really a company. It is a loose confederation of individual local franchises who share some resources. Each locality sets its own prices, packages, policies and procedures.

I am not saying that this is unique to Comcast. Probably applies to all cable operators.

Note: This is only my opinion and not based on any certain knowledge.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"

Last edited by lpwcomp : 07-03-2011 at 11:42 AM. Reason: clarification.
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #7992
drcos
HD where available

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
If you only have Tivos, you should not be charged the HD tech fee - that is only for use of their boxes.
I've tried that argument with them, but that doesn't seem to work. Since I have CableCards and get HD, I have 'HD Technology'

We'll see how it shakes out next month, when the credits are supposed to kick in here.
I'm just kinda like jtreid above, get it where it works and leave it alone. Every time I've had it 'fixed' something else goes. Kinda why I haven't bitched about the CCI bytes on the new HD channels being 0x02 (TCMHD, MGMHD, SpikeHD, CCHD, NIKHD) because I don't want to lose the 0x00 on DSCHD, HSTHD, SYFYHD, UHD.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:28 AM   #7993
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcos

I've tried that argument with them, but that doesn't seem to work. Since I have CableCards and get HD, I have 'HD Technology'

We'll see how it shakes out next month, when the credits are supposed to kick in here.
I'm just kinda like jtreid above, get it where it works and leave it alone. Every time I've had it 'fixed' something else goes. Kinda why I haven't bitched about the CCI bytes on the new HD channels being 0x02 (TCMHD, MGMHD, SpikeHD, CCHD, NIKHD) because I don't want to lose the 0x00 on DSCHD, HSTHD, SYFYHD, UHD.
I suggest you don't argue with them but just ask them to please remove the fees. They will insist that HD will cease to function. Just tell them that they are probably right but you'll risk it. If that happens, you'll call and have it put back on. That worked for me. I don't pay any technology fees on my 2 HD TiVos. I posted my bill on the self-install CC thread.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #7994
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Exactly - any local branch that is charging an HD tech fee for Tivos alone is doing it wrong, and having it removed will not affect your channels.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #7995
gamndbndr

OK, we've had our Series 3 for years without issues except for when one wire got eaten by a mouse. Now, however, we loose all signals at various times - especially at 9 PM. We restart the box and usually everything comes back to normal. Sometimes we call in and have "refresh" signals sent out.

What should our next step be? Get a tech out to check things out? Ask for new cablecards? What kind? Wife is ready to just get a Comcast DVR and take the S3 to the cabin in the mountains (OTA).
gamndbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #7996
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamndbndr View Post
OK, we've had our Series 3 for years without issues except for when one wire got eaten by a mouse. Now, however, we loose all signals at various times - especially at 9 PM. We restart the box and usually everything comes back to normal. Sometimes we call in and have "refresh" signals sent out.

What should our next step be? Get a tech out to check things out? Ask for new cablecards? What kind? Wife is ready to just get a Comcast DVR and take the S3 to the cabin in the mountains (OTA).
Yep. Call 'em out. I bet money it's a signal problem. I've had what you describe on three occasions and the truck roll fixes it eventually. Sometimes it takes them two days, but that's just what you have to put up with doing business with Comcast. Not sure who you have, but hopefully they'll get it right for you quickly.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #7997
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamndbndr View Post
Now, however, we loose all signals at various times - especially at 9 PM.
Have you checked the signal level meters?
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:05 AM   #7998
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
Have you checked the signal level meters?
Signal to Noise is a good one to check as well. I believe anything higher than 33 db can cause problems.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #7999
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb

Signal to Noise is a good one to check as well. I believe anything higher than 33 db can cause problems.
Actually for the SNR, the higher it is the better. You don't want it lower than 33 dB, though it may work down to 31 dB.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #8000
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Actually for the SNR, the higher it is the better. You don't want it lower than 33 dB, though it may work down to 31 dB.
Doh. I knew that... It was late.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #8001
danjw1

If I had multiple Tivos would I have to pay any additional fees to Comcast?
Old 07-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #8002
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjw1 View Post
If I had multiple Tivos would I have to pay any additional fees to Comcast?
In most markets you would pay an additional digital outlet fee (for me it is $8.95) for each Tivo after the 1st one. This fee includes a cablecard. And recently, Comcast added a credit for customer provided equipment since you wouldn't be using their converter box. In my market, it is $2.50 for each of my 2 Tivos.

So for me it is $6.45 for my 2nd Tivo.

YMMV
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:48 AM   #8003
gamndbndr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Yep. Call 'em out. I bet money it's a signal problem. I've had what you describe on three occasions and the truck roll fixes it eventually. Sometimes it takes them two days, but that's just what you have to put up with doing business with Comcast. Not sure who you have, but hopefully they'll get it right for you quickly.
Comcast came out, replaced all the splitters after much head scratching. Now we are at 95 db (if I'm reading the screen correctly).

We'll see if this helps. We were rebooting daily following up with a call to send refresh signals.
gamndbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #8004
kdmorse

Every nice thing I've ever said about comcast, I take it all back today. After years of good luck, after years of telling everyone "They're not *that* bad", after years of being able to get cards re-paired with a 5 minute phone call, it all went downhill spectacularly today.

Yesterday I had 5 cablecards correctly paired. This afternoon, I have none. Three calls, hung up on twice mid pairing attempt while on hold, another two hour conversation with three departments, account is now so borked not even they can update the pairing information on cards that may, or may not exist, depending on what screen you look at. Just let your imagination run wild regarding the worst case phone call, and you'll have pretty much the right story.

So.. Not being a twitter user.. How does this ComcastCares thing work exactly?

-Ken
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #8005
danjw1

Follow this link. Submit a complaint. It is the best way, that I have found, to get something fixed when it is totally borked.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #8006
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmorse View Post
So.. Not being a twitter user.. How does this ComcastCares thing work exactly?
The easiest way I've found is to set up a Twitter account (if you don't have one already), follow the ComcastCares user and send him a "mention" by typing "@comcastcares " followed by the message. Don't put any personal info in this message as it will be public. You'll normally get a follow by one of the Comcast... twitter people, usually within a few minutes. If you aren't following that person, he/she will ask you to follow him. Once you do that you can send a direct message (which is private) with your account info.

The above works well for quick problems. For 5 unpaired cable cards, 140 characters might not be enough in which case I would recommend emailing We_Can_Help@Comcast.com with your account info, an explanation of what happened and what you are trying to accomplish and the pairing numbers for all 5 cards. This method isn't quite as fast as the Twitter route, but normal turn around time is less than a day.

Which ever method you use, a Comcast executive support person will normally call you the same day or the following day, either to get more info from you or to check that things have been fixed.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #8007
kdmorse

Thanks for the Twitter and We_Can_Help id's. I'll keep those in my back pocket.

My account was unborked in the intervening 24 hours. Not correct and paired, but at least no longer tied up so badly that my cablecards could not be edited. I called back today, and while it took three people, I'm now all fixed.

With the third person today, it worked the way it's supposed to work, and always has in the past.

Open CableCard SN -> Update HostID -> Update DataID -> Send Hit -> Card reports Validated -> Channels Appear -> Rinse and Repeat for next CableCard.

I don't know what the hell sort of road I went down on Wednesday, but it was a bad, bad, baaaaaaaaaaaaaad road....

Thanks,

-Ken
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #8008
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Same ole same ole, and this will probably not be any better after we can all self-install cards in another week or so. All they needed to do was provide a simple web page, just like they do for the DTA activations, to let customers pair their own cards. But nooooooooo....
Old 07-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #8009
lpwcomp

I finally got the cablecard paired to my replacement Premiere. I asked the CSR if they were going to make it easier on Aug. 1. She was unaware of any efforts to do so.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #8010
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

I'm about to flip my lid. They have again screwed up my account and somehow put me into the "triple play" package even though I have no internet or phone. I called to get all this fixed, but it's actually going UP in price. Are they really charging $8.50 for each cable card to have access to HD? I thought there was ONE HD access fee associated per account.

I'm now supposed to pay upwards of $120 a month for freaking cable with HD, HBO, and an HD receiver.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote