TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-11-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
bradleys
It'll be fine....

iPad app now supports Series 3

Update just came out... Available functionality is limited, but hopefully will bring value to some to those owners!

I don't have any time to play with this tonight, but it seems pretty limited. Looks like it is pulling guide data from your TiVo.com account as opposed to the device itself. You can chose to record, but not watch now.

Really it just seems like it is tied to the TiVo.com functionality plus the peanut functionality.

If anything it does prove how much it does rely on the Premier services to operate.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 07-12-2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: spelling
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:46 AM   #2
cheerdude
Reed & Juliet's CPA

Thanks for update regarding this... I've got a HDXL and was waiting to see when/if the app would support it.

It would be nice to get the To-Do/Season Pass functionality... but having the web app accessibility in the app is good to have.
cheerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:15 AM   #3
andyf

It also now works on iPhone.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
blackngold75

Since it works on the iPhone, do you know does it also work on the iPod touch?
blackngold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #5
andyf

I don't have an iPod Touch so I couldn't say. Maybe someone else will chime in.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #6
bajabingo

hope they make an app for android
bajabingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
innocentfreak

Also looks like guest support for series 1 and 2 so you can see what the app can do.

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/product-f...one/index.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #8
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngold75 View Post
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

|
windracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
TheWGP
Hmmm...

That's pretty slick - I like the chart showing what each series of Tivos can do. I'm genuinely shocked that they even mention the S2/S1, even if the functionality is extremely limited to, essentially, a few gimmicks from the website. That's 100% understandable for a lot of reasons - but I'm just shocked to see the OLD old models even MENTIONED in any sort of new-product announcement. Heck, I'm sort of surprised they extended any functionality, even website-based functionality, to the S3/HD, given the usual "current series only" mentality.

A good sign of more forward thinking, maybe? We shall see...

As regards the app itself, I'm still waiting to see all this on Android - we have two smartphones and a tablet running Android, and only a very old (first generation) iPod Touch running iOS that's sat in a drawer for ~2 years now. Do have to say this tempts me to pull that old thing and try this app out!

Edit: I loaded up the App Store and it says:

"Requirements: Compatible with iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. Requires iOS 4.0 or later."

Sadly, my iPod Touch 1G is stuck on 3.1.3 or whatnot. Downloading a "tweaked" version of 4 to install and see if that works.

Last edited by TheWGP : 07-12-2011 at 08:48 AM.
TheWGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #10
cwoody222

Awesome! (iPhone and S3 user here)

Batteries on my remote died and I had to use RemoteT to control my TiVo last night. Now I can use the TiVo app instead!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:52 AM   #11
cwoody222

I'm not on my home network at the time and it won't let me schedule recordings.

Scheduler Error:
GetString failed: Result of
curl_easy_perform is 58
Could not parse XML: SvrXml
xmlReaderForMemory returned NULL

Tried to access their Tech Support link... page does not exist.

Not ready for prime time?
Old 07-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
nexter

I can't get my iphone to connect to the box, keeps saying No Compatible Boxes Found, on the same network, have every port forwarded thats needed and have network remotes on, but still can't find the box....peanut app still works fine just not the official tivo app, go figure >.>
nexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #13
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

I was just playing around with the 1.5 version of the App on my TiVo Series 3 using my iPad 2. It seems to work fine. You can see the guide data and scroll through it more quickly and easily on the iPad than you can on the TiVo so that is nice. You can control the TiVo S3 with the remote on the app. You can also use gestures to control the playback on the TiVo. The Keyboard is nice to have since I don't have the newer TiVo remote with the keyboard.

The controls listed on the bottom of the TiVo app that a Series 3 can't access is "Info," (shows Info about the show on the iPad) "My Shows" (where you see your recorded shows) and "Manage" (for managing recordings).

UPDATE: I also have a Series 2 but the app says that it currently only supports Tivo Premiere or TiVo Series3/HD boxes. That is interesting since TiVo's page says it supports S1's and S2's (although limited).

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV

Last edited by George Cifranci : 07-12-2011 at 11:31 AM.
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #14
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexter View Post
I can't get my iphone to connect to the box, keeps saying No Compatible Boxes Found, on the same network, have every port forwarded thats needed and have network remotes on, but still can't find the box....peanut app still works fine just not the official tivo app, go figure >.>
Reboot your box - I suspect that will fix the issue you are experiencing.

It picked up my S3 without an issue, but I needed a reboot on my HD to get it to see the device. Worth a try for you as well.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 07-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #15
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexter View Post
Try rebooting the box. I want to say some people had to reboot to get both to see each other originally with the Premiere.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #16
RangerOne
The Hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngold75 View Post
Confirmed! It works.

on my home theater and gadgets blog:
RangerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #17
nexter

Tried rebooting but no luck for me, I'm sure there's an issue with my router or something that's preventing me from connecting, either way I'm glad its finally available for iPhone and iTouch and look forward to using it
nexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #18
RangerOne
The Hub

Another issue: When connecting to my S3 and I click on the "Guide" button at the bottom, it says "No Information Available". If I connect to my Premiere or via Guest mode, I can bring up guide data without problems. It appears the rest of the functionality with the S3 is fine.

on my home theater and gadgets blog:
RangerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:45 AM   #19
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Works pretty nice on my iPhone 4, which is something I would probably use over my iPad 2 since it is easier to type on and control with one hand because of the size.

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #20
cwoody222

I got it hooked up to my S3 on my home network. It still uses the same method to set Recordings that 3rd party apps (and TiVo.com) uses. That's lame.

Also lame is that I cannot see my Now Playing list (but TiVo Desktop can) or To Do List (but TiVo.com can).

So for S3 users this is basically a (better) way to use m.tivo.com to schedule recordings with the added value of a remote control. Whoopie.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #21
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
I got it hooked up to my S3 on my home network. It still uses the same method to set Recordings that 3rd party apps (and TiVo.com) uses. That's lame.

Also lame is that I cannot see my Now Playing list (but TiVo Desktop can) or To Do List (but TiVo.com can).

So for S3 users this is basically a (better) way to use m.tivo.com to schedule recordings with the added value of a remote control. Whoopie.
When TiVo agreed to add ios app support to the S3/HD series boxes they made it very clear that the functionality would be significantly limited. This is no suprise.

Bottom line, the OS on the Permier has a large number of data services that can be leveraged by an external device - these services do not exist on the older units.

That is the facts of life of a legacy device...
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 07-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #22
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Well this app doesn't work on the 2 iPhones in my household we've downloaded it on. It says that network access isn't enabled for our premiere, however it is because my iPad (non-updated version of app) works just as it always has. I'm afraid to update the iPad and lose the ability to use it with my premiere too. Has anyone else run into this?

Update: I did update the app on my iPad and get the same message. It only sees the series 3 on my network. I'm re-booting my TiVo right now to see if I can get it working, otherwise I'll revert to the old version of the app and wait for the next update.

Update 2: Rebooting Premiere worked and both iPhones and updated iPad app asked for MAK and are now working.

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr

Last edited by HeatherA : 07-12-2011 at 02:54 PM.
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #23
morac
Cat God

The app works fine for my Premiere and S3 (limited support) on both my iPad and iPhone, but I had an issue where after using it briefly on my iPhone, my S3 disappeared from my network (wouldn't show up in the app or in the My Shows list on my Premiere). I had to reboot my S3 to get it back. My guess is that's a bug in the S3 code.

While adding S3 support is nice, the support is so limited it's really not worth it. It basically adds remote control functionality (similar to what's available in the DVR Remote app) as well as built-in access to scheduling. The later isn't done directly on the S3 itself though, it goes through the same mechanism that scheduling on tivo.com goes through.

So when they say "limited support on series 3", they mean it.

For the Premiere, the app is really great. Adding the ability to start playing a program by tapping it on the iPad and now iPhone is great. If they could add streaming (which I doubt will ever happen), that app would be perfect.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #24
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
..........For the Premiere, the app is really great. Adding the ability to start playing a program by tapping it on the iPad and now iPhone is great........
For our Series 3, that was my big disappointment in using it on my wife's iPad last night - you couldn't just tap on a program in the guide to change to that channel.

It's still good for her, though. She's legally blind and can't read the guide from the couch. Now she can read it on her iPad and change the channel manually with the iPad or the remote. Streaming would be awesome for her.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #25

I understand that it can't do everything, but why can the 3rd party app "DVR Remote" show me what's in my Now Playing list and the official TiVo app cannot?

I actually use it all the time to see what's on my TiVo downstairs. It's pretty handy in a pinch.
ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #26
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ort View Post
I understand that it can't do everything, but why can the 3rd party app "DVR Remote" show me what's in my Now Playing list and the official TiVo app cannot?
It's not that the TiVo app couldn't do that, my guess is that they didn't want to confuse users who would wonder why the option to watch or delete listed programs only works on the Premiere.

Technically the Now Playing List and To Do list could be displayed in "away" mode, but that isn't done either.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #27
IDSmoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
It's not that the TiVo app couldn't do that, my guess is that they didn't want to confuse users who would wonder why the option to watch or delete listed programs only works on the Premiere.

Technically the Now Playing List and To Do list could be displayed in "away" mode, but that isn't done either.
TiVo made this design decision for the same reason they list the Series 1/2 on the app page, even though the app actually offers them the same non-support that someone who doesn't own a TiVo receives if they use the app. They want to encourage their current customers to upgrade to the Premiere... hence the handy button right under feature comparison chart.

There is no technical reason why the app couldn't support every function of the web site.

I'm unsurprised by this decision as it is in line with TiVo's past "customer disloyalty" based decisions. TiVo has been more focused on new customers than current customers for a very long time now.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #28
drewfidelic

I can go on to tivo.com in iOS Safari and look at my Now PLaying lists and To-Do lists from anywhere I have internet access, but can't use TiVo's own app to do that? It's just aggravating. I can understand not deleting or managing recordings, but being able to see if something recorded or is scheduled to record remotely is the second of the two features that I want to use remotely.
drewfidelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #29
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewfidelic View Post
I can go on to tivo.com in iOS Safari and look at my Now PLaying lists and To-Do lists from anywhere I have internet access, but can't use TiVo's own app to do that? It's just aggravating. I can understand not deleting or managing recordings, but being able to see if something recorded or is scheduled to record remotely is the second of the two features that I want to use remotely.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #30
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewfidelic
I agree this would be useful, though as you said you can still check this from the web site. Similar to Apple, TiVo seems to like consistency. While the web site does have your shows and scheduled recordings, it's not update in real time, so if it was implemented in the app the data might not be up to date. As opposed to using the app with the Premiere which gets that info directly from the Premiere itself.