TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-22-2011, 10:58 PM   #1021
retiredqwest

Just out of curiousity....

My stock THD has HPA enabled and it boots up normally.
The 1.5TB has HPA enabled and has been in the THD for 9 months.

My TP drives do not have HPA enabled.... even though the 2 TB was created on a Gigabyte MB and it has been in the TP for 5 months.

If you truely want to find out if HPA is enabled on the stock drive.

http://www.mfslive.org/download.htm

is the iso for MFSlive 1.4. Burn and then boot up with that CD with the stock drive ONLY.

Either let it boot or hit option 1 <enter>.

Then type 'fdisk -l'

That will you if it sees the drive, it should be '/dev/sda'

type 'hdparm -N /dev/sda' and it will tell you if HPA is enabled. And that is an uppercase 'N' not a lowercase 'n'.

Next try the Kickstart commands and see if that will show a problem and or maybe fix things.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

edit: it can take up to 7 agonizing minutes for the TP to boot up sometimes.

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #1022
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Arrgh! Copy finished fine and I told it I wanted to expand the new drive. It then immediately errors out and tells me that the expand did not complete. Seriously, what am I doing wrong with this crap?

*Edit

I tried just booting with the newly copied drive and the software says that there is no Tivo drive detected in my system even though the copy went fine. Not sure what to do again.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan

Last edited by DavidTigerFan : 06-22-2011 at 11:35 PM.
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:56 PM   #1023
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
Arrgh! Copy finished fine and I told it I wanted to expand the new drive. It then immediately errors out and tells me that the expand did not complete. Seriously, what am I doing wrong with this crap?

*Edit

I tried just booting with the newly copied drive and the software says that there is no Tivo drive detected in my system even though the copy went fine. Not sure what to do again.
What is the make and model of the 2 TB drive?

Have you tried the new drive in the Tivo?
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:12 AM   #1024
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
What is the make and model of the 2 TB drive?

Have you tried the new drive in the Tivo?
It's a WD20 EARS. I just tried it in the tivo and all the lights blink except for the green. I'm guessing that means it isn't a good disk.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:32 AM   #1025
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

HPA is enabled on both drives according to MFSlive software.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:42 AM   #1026
dwit

Quote:
It's a WD20 EARS. I just tried it in the tivo and all the lights blink except for the green. I'm guessing that means it isn't a good disk.
That is just probably what it does for a drive without a proper Tivo image.

Well, I guess for now, be glad your original drive still works. Maybe just sleep on the upgrade for a day or two.

Maybe figure out how to access another pc, or trying the slower usb route with (a)some enclosures, etc. Maybe see if there are some bios settings to tweak on the mb. I know on both of my old computers, I have to enable SATA in the bios, as they are both primarily IDE by nature.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.

Last edited by dwit : 06-23-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:19 AM   #1027
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Damnit!

Because my original drive was still working, I put the 2 drives back in the computer with the gigabyte MB with the hope that nothing would be hosed. It doesn't look like anything did get hosed, but I'm getting the same error. Everything copies fine, but then when I go to expand the drive it errors out and says "Expand did not finish successfully"

I don't know what it could be at this point.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:24 AM   #1028
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit
There are also drives of various capacities for sale on ebay, with the Premiere software already installed. I think recall seeing 2 TB drives for as low as $115.
Good to know - thanks for this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:34 AM   #1029
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

I might have something...

I had a spare 2TB that I save for my DROBO. I ran the WD diag on both drives and the one that has been giving me problems gave some error that "a WD drive was detected, but could not be read, please contact WD support". My spare DROBO drive detected fine.

I'm redoing the copy now and will try expanding in the morning.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:35 AM   #1030
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Good to know - thanks for this.
Here's one for $107. I think I'd have done this had I known the problems I'd have had.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TiVo-Premiere-TC...item45f963ad96

Old 06-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #1031
unitron

Quote:
Ok, I've read through most of this thread, but I still am having problems.

First, I tried running the CD on a gigabyte motherboard, but it only detected one harddrive. I'm guessing this is the HPA problem you are all talking about. Has this screwed up my Tivo drive?

Also, I put them in another old dell I have and it detects both drives fine, but it is erroring out saying that there isn't enough room on my drive. (I'm copying from 320GB to 2TB so I know that's not the issue. Any ideas?
Are you saying the cd (MFS Live v1.4 or the jmfs?) only detected one drive or the motherboard only detected one drive?

If the motherboard didn't detect it, it probably couldn't have created a Host Protected Area on it.

I'm not certain if the HPA is done by re-writing something in the drives firmware that reports the drive's size to the computer, or if, in addition to setting aside an area on the platter(s), and possibly writing a BIOS backup to that area, it also writes elsewhere on the platter(s) to indicate the existance of that area.

If it creates the HPA on the new drive that is to be written to, then it probably won't hurt except for the loss of a little space.

If, on the other hand, it does it on a drive that's already partitioned, there could be a problem, because the partition table or map will be reporting a larger total size than the drive itself will be reporting.

If this happens to a "PC" drive, with a DOS/Windows style partition table, then perhaps the motherboard rewrites the table to adjust it for the new loss of space.

A TiVo drive doesn't have one of those partition tables, it has a version of the old Apple Partition Map.

Since both get written at the front of the drive, an attempt by the motherboard to re-write the non-existing partition table would put ones and zeros in the same general area of the drive where the TiVo/Apple style partition map is, and that probably wouldn't end well.

If using a GigaByte board with both IDE and SATA ports, I would have a DOS/Windows drive (like maybe the one from which the computer usually boots) on the first place the board will look for an HPA candidate, which will be Master on the Primary IDE controller, followed by the rest of the IDE ports (not sure if it goes Primary Master, Primary Slave, Secondary--if it has a secondary header--Master, Secondary Slave, or Primary Master, Secondary Master, Primary Slave, Secondary Slave), and then the SATA ports starting at port 0 or port 1 depending on how it starts the count.

----OR-----

If the HPA is strictly a case of "it re-writes the drive's firmware to indicate a smaller size, and then creates the HPA in the now hidden, secret area at the end of the drive beyond where the firmware now says the drive exists", then I'd put the new drive, the one that hasn't been written to yet, in that "sacrificial" postition--first of the IDEs or, if no IDEs, first of the SATAs--and let the board "shrink" the drive, then let the TiVo drive upgrading tools copy from a TiVo drive in a safe position to the new, apparently slightly smaller, drive. That way, all of the TiVo "stuff" will be on the part of the drive before the HPA, and the upgrading tools will think that that area was the full drive with which they had to work.

When placed in the TiVo, the new drive should report its size to the TiVo as being the slightly smaller same size as the upgrade tools thought it was, so it should work ok.

As I do not currently have the time, money, space, and hardware to spare to thoroughly test the foregoing hypothesis, or hypotheses, I make no guarantees.

As somebody else said on one of the upgrade guides, if you break it, you own both pieces.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #1032
unitron

Quote:
HPA is enabled on both drives according to MFSlive software.
Here's what you do. And you do it very carefully.

Get out that old Dell.

Have no drives hooked up to it except for the cd or dvd from which you'll boot.

Hook up the new drive.

Boot with the MFS Live cd v1.4 (although if the jmfs cd just boots to a command prompt, instead of doing things automagically, you could see if it has hdparm on it).

Assuming the new drive is on the first SATA port,

hdparm -N /dev/sda

Let's say it returns something like

970773168/970772115 HPA enabled

(It could say HPA enable first, and the numbers might be reversed)

the larger number should be the full size of the drive.

Those numbers are actually Logical Block Areas (or whatever LBA is the acronym for), so you'd have to multiply them by 512 (or maybe 4096 on the new "advanced format" drives) to get a number that looks like it's in the ballpark of the size of the drive, but that's irrelevent to this procedure.

You want to use the larger number of the two.

hdparm -N p976773168 /dev/sda

The above is an example of doing the procedure on a 500GB drive.

You will have different numbers.

You will use the larger of the two numbers hdparm -N /dev/sda reports on either side of the dividing /

After you type in the above command with the uppercase N, preceeded by the hyphen that indicates it's a switch or option of the hdparm command, followed, after a space, by the lowercase "p", which is immediately followed (no space) by the larger of the two numbers reported for your drive, which is followed by a space and then the designation of the drive, examine it very carefully to make sure you have the number exactly right.

Get up, walk away from the computer, go have a smoke or get a glass of tea or something.

Come back and check that number again.

Then hit "Enter".

If you try this on the GigaByte board it will fail.

If it works on the Dell, see if the new drive will boot in the Tivo.

If it does, and if the original TiVo drive won't boot in the TiVo, then hook up only the original Tivo drive to the Dell, and go through the procedure again.

Obviously, the numbers will be different.

Again, you'll want to use the higher of the two numbers.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #1033
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Unitron, thanks. I was actually able to get the copy, expand, and supersize to work with the new drive. It is booting now (hopefully). If it doesn't work I'll use your method. I think my gigabyte board might not have affected it.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #1034
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Looks like it was the drive. Everything booted and I have 317 hours HD.

FYI, all the drives could be seen by the bios and the software could see it to copy from the old to the new. It just didn't work when I tried to expand it.

Also FYI, my gigabyte board is an old one, but it is model GA-P35-DS3L. It does have the xpress recovery2, but not sure why it didn't hose me.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #1035
dwit

Quote:
Looks like it was the drive. Everything booted and I have 317 hours HD.

FYI, all the drives could be seen by the bios and the software could see it to copy from the old to the new. It just didn't work when I tried to expand it.

Also FYI, my gigabyte board is an old one, but it is model GA-P35-DS3L. It does have the xpress recovery2, but not sure why it didn't hose me.
Looks like one lesson here is to run diagnostics on the drive, preferably before beginning the upgrade procedures.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #1036
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Looks like one lesson here is to run diagnostics on the drive, preferably before beginning the upgrade procedures.
Definitely. I am going to set the idle on the WD drive as well just so I don't run into any issues with that in the future.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #1037
Am_I_Evil

hmmmmm...wth is this issue...HELP PLEASE!!!!

did a XL upgrade from 1tb to 2....TiVo booted fine but the menus don't do what they should...my shows is empty which is incorrect as my 1tb was full...clicking anything in Setting & Messages just takes me back to TiVo Central....

WTF is going on?

edit: tried to get to my to-do list...does the same thing as the other areas...just takes me back to TiVo central...

the box also currently has no internet...could that be affecting it?

lol... disregard this whole thing...used my laptop as a bridge and using my neighbors internet as mine is out and everything seems to be normal now :-)

Last edited by Am_I_Evil : 06-28-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Am_I_Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #1038
minimeh
Vanity Phrase Here

Another euphoric testimonial

I just completed the upgrade of my week-old TiVo Premier to a 2TB WD20EARS. Reading through this thread prepared me completely for the upgrade, and for that, a hearty thanks to all, especially Comer (hope you can put the donation to good use, Comer!).

A couple of notes on the experience.

In retrospect, I think I should have run the disk-boot version of the WD disk diagnostics tool. I ran the Windows version, and it took 17.5 hours to complete using a USB docking station (no options, I don't currently have a working desktop). I'm guessing that if you take the AV overhead and multi-taking of Windows out of the picture, it would be faster.

After the integrity check, I ran HDDScan to set the AAM level. Both version 3.1 and 3.3 report the the WD20EARS does not support AAM. Is that something new? The drive is dated 08 JUN 2011. Anyway, the drive is very quiet as-is.

Not having a SATA connection available, I wasn't able to use wdidle. No issues so far, When the drive blows up in 3 months, we'll see.

I read in a post (or I have imagined it) that only a #10 Torqs drive is needed these days. However, the screws that mount the rails to the mother board on my box were #15 Torqs, while the others are 10s.

Other than that, everything just worked. Awesome.
minimeh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:45 PM   #1039
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimeh View Post

I read in a post (or I have imagined it) that only a #10 Torqs drive is needed these days. However, the screws that mount the rails to the mother board on my box were #15 Torqs, while the others are 10s.

That's weird. I used nothing but a #10

Old 07-08-2011, 01:20 AM   #1040
richsadams

Quote:
I just completed the upgrade of my week-old TiVo Premier to a 2TB WD20EARS. Reading through this thread prepared me completely for the upgrade, and for that, a hearty thanks to all, especially Comer (hope you can put the donation to good use, Comer!).

A couple of notes on the experience.

In retrospect, I think I should have run the disk-boot version of the WD disk diagnostics tool. I ran the Windows version, and it took 17.5 hours to complete using a USB docking station (no options, I don't currently have a working desktop). I'm guessing that if you take the AV overhead and multi-taking of Windows out of the picture, it would be faster.

After the integrity check, I ran HDDScan to set the AAM level. Both version 3.1 and 3.3 report the the WD20EARS does not support AAM. Is that something new? The drive is dated 08 JUN 2011. Anyway, the drive is very quiet as-is.

Not having a SATA connection available, I wasn't able to use wdidle. No issues so far, When the drive blows up in 3 months, we'll see.

Thanks very much for the feedback.

Interesting that you didn't need to adjust the Intellipark setting. Wish WD would make up their mind one way or the other.

First I've heard that HDDscan won't change the AAM on the WD20EARS. We'll need more data points to confirm, but AFAIK that's new.

Seems like TiVo goes from using all #10 Torx to both #10 and #15. Our Premiere XL used all #10. Wish TiVo would make up its mind.

Congrats and enjoy your "new" TiVo!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #1041
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:

1. What OS is on your PC? If Win Vista/7, did you try to run HDDScan "as admininstrator"? I just received/installed a WD20EARS in my PC 2 weeks ago and for grins reset AAM (I didn't check the mfg date, but NewEgg generally has recent issues).

2. No SATA at all? I had no spares, but "borrowed" the one from my HDD when the USB dock proved futile.

3. You're right about the Torqs, you need 10 & 15 to do it right, though some have managed with 10s alone... I wouldn't recommend it.
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #1042
minimeh
Vanity Phrase Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
1. What OS is on your PC? If Win Vista/7, did you try to run HDDScan "as admininstrator"?
The laptop that I used for the upgrade runs WinXP 32 on an administrative account, so no issues there. For grins I ran HDDScan on the hard drive in the laptop itself and HDDScan reported that it supports AAM and gave me the ability to set it. So, nice thought, but I don't think OS/admin rights come into play here.

Quote:
2. No SATA at all? I had no spares, but "borrowed" the one from my HDD when the USB dock proved futile.
I did not attempt to pull out the laptop's drive and use its SATA connection. Obviously, the 3.5" drive wouldn't physically fit into the 2.5" drive space, and I don't have cabling.

I do have another laptop that has an eSATA connector exposed. I wonder if connecting a drive to the eSATA connector, using appropriate cabling or an enclosure, would work? Either pursuing that or taking the drive to a friend's desktop would be my next angles if I had issues. However, rather than being futile, doing the upgrade with 2 USB docking stations worked for me, albeit s-l-o-w-l-y.

Quote:
3. You're right about the Torqs, you need 10 & 15 to do it right, though some have managed with 10s alone... I wouldn't recommend it.
No, the 10 drive rattles around pretty good in the 15 screw head. However, I'm not doubting that some drive rails are mounted with 10s and others with 15s.
minimeh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:29 AM   #1043
richsadams

Quote:
Some boxes (ours included) have Torx 10's on the exterior as well as the sled...others have Torx 10 on the outside and Torx 15 on the sled.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:33 AM   #1044
richsadams

Quote:
I wonder if connecting a drive to the eSATA connector, using appropriate cabling or an enclosure, would work?
That generally works on desktops. I don't know of any reason it wouldn't work on a laptop. The only issue might be something to do with BIOS settings, but others have used eSATA successfully for upgrades (just takes a while longer than a direct SATA MB connection, but less time than a USB connection).
Old 07-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #1045
wb5yyq

Premiere with bad drive?

I get the "Welcome - starting up" error with my original Tivo Premiere HD (320gb), leading me to think the drive is bad. Pulled the drive and tested with the Western Digital tool; it passed the first test, but failed the extended test with bad sectors. What do I do now? Should I try to copy the original disk with errors? If the original is bad, now what do I do? Where can I find a Premiere image to use?
wb5yyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #1046
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb5yyq View Post
I get the "Welcome - starting up" error with my original Tivo Premiere HD (320gb), leading me to think the drive is bad. Pulled the drive and tested with the Western Digital tool; it passed the first test, but failed the extended test with bad sectors. What do I do now? Should I try to copy the original disk with errors? If the original is bad, now what do I do? Where can I find a Premiere image to use?
Purchased a drive that already has the image on it, you can find some on E-Bay or purchase a new TP from Amazon for about $84.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:37 AM   #1047
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb5yyq View Post
When you say "Welcome-starting up error" do you mean that TiVo is stuck on that screen? Does it do anything else? When you plug TiVo in, try putting your ear to the case. Can you hear the hard drive spin up?

If it's stuck on "Welcome" screen it means that the motherboard cannot communicate with the hard drive. From your tests it sounds like it has some bad sectors. You might try running some of the Kickstarts to see if TiVo can repair the problem...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

If that doesn't work you'll probably need to do as lessd suggests and find another drive. You can either use that one as a replacement or to image a larger drive.

Note that if you do get a drive from another TiVo that you'll need to get an drive from an identical model. When you first boot it up you'll get an error message. To overcome that you'll need to run Clear and Delete Everything. Then you should prep it as a new TiVo which might entail having your cableco pair your cable card, etc. Once that's done you could use it to image a new/larger drive.

Another option would be to contact TiVo. If it's less than a year old they will generally replace it for $49. If it's more than a year old it's $149 but as lessd points out, you can buy a new TiVo Premiere for less than $90.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 07-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #1048
Larry.A

Can not see other Tivo in "My Show" list

I want to thank everyone that has put these scripts/apps together. I recently switched to FIOS from DirecTV and could not stand the user interface of the FIOS boxes. I used to have 2 fully hacked direcTV Tivos several years ago and I loved them so I decided to buy a couple of premiers and upgrade them with WD20EARS. I can not believe how simple this is now. widdle, automated 3 step proccess and bam I have 2TB of capacity each. My only problem is on one I can see the other Tivo on the "My Shows" list but when I select it it says there is nothin to display (wich of course there is) and on the second Tivo I can not see the other one at all. I have tested all the network diag and everything checks out. I have rebooted each several times with no luck. I can also stream netflix on both so I am pretty sure it is not a network issue. I did a search but I guess I did not use the right keywords because nothing came up. Any help would be apreciated.
Larry.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #1049
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry.A View Post
I want to thank everyone that has put these scripts/apps together. I recently switched to FIOS from DirecTV and could not stand the user interface of the FIOS boxes. I used to have 2 fully hacked direcTV Tivos several years ago and I loved them so I decided to buy a couple of premiers and upgrade them with WD20EARS. I can not believe how simple this is now. widdle, automated 3 step proccess and bam I have 2TB of capacity each. My only problem is on one I can see the other Tivo on the "My Shows" list but when I select it it says there is nothin to display (wich of course there is) and on the second Tivo I can not see the other one at all. I have tested all the network diag and everything checks out. I have rebooted each several times with no luck. I can also stream netflix on both so I am pretty sure it is not a network issue. I did a search but I guess I did not use the right keywords because nothing came up. Any help would be apreciated.
Don't know if this is the problem, but have you enabled "Video Sharing" on your account at Tivo.com ("Change DVR Preferences")?
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #1050
Larry.A

Quote:
Don't know if this is the problem, but have you enabled "Video Sharing" on your account at Tivo.com ("Change DVR Preferences")?
Thanks for the tip. I just verified that video sharing is enabled, still no luck.
Larry.A is offline   Reply With Quote